Best Shounen Manga | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Shounen Manga

Best Shounen Manga

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Yeah that's what I ment when I said that I kinda voted for it from outsides the Shonen category, it really exceeds the more common Shonen manga by a certain margin in many areas imo.

And it had an undeniable success and international recognition as well, on international level exceeding FMA and OP even afaik.
In belgium , there even was an imitator. A guy signed his murder : the cops found a paper with those words: "Watashi Wa Kira dess" ... "I'm Kira"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-near-bodies-in-belgium-linked-to-death-note

I know I shouldn't but this made me laugh.

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I don't think that was the only imitation case. There were a couple of others, as well as various cases of kids making their own death notes and writing their teachers' names in them, and stuff like that. Of course, while the teachers didn't die, the malicious intent was there so the kids were punished by the schools.

It's not the kind of international recognition any mangaka would like to see, but it is international recognition nonetheless. Part of its international success could be owed to its live-action movies, though. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but at least where I live, most people know Death Note through the movies and few of them even know that those movies were even based on a manga.

Of course, I'm not discounting the fact that Death Note was great for breaking the mould and not going by shounen conventions. I've always thought that this manga shouldn't have been in Jump. It's tankoubons sold well, but it always didn't do too good in the TOCs, probably because Jump's readership couldn't appreciate it. It should have been in a seinen mag or at least Jump SQ (or Monthly Jump, as it was called then iirc).

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
It's not the kind of international recognition any mangaka would like to see, but it is international recognition nonetheless. Part of its international success could be owed to its live-action movies, though. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but at least where I live, most people know Death Note through the movies and few of them even know that those movies were even based on a manga.
I was surprised that the murder was in Belgium. Mangas are not so well known in Belgium. Belgians are much more interested in BD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bande_dessinée).

Death note is considered as a shounen because it was in a shounen magazine. But honestly, if Death Note was in a seinen magazine , who would have thought that Death Note was a shounen ?

rajin

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
British Virgin Islands
FOR ME one piece and full metal alchemist is best

i stopped reading one piece after 592 but i am still reading naruto series

when i heard about FULL METAL ALCHEMIST ending in june i was surprised

because i always thought that claymore and full metal alchemist will end .

i thought full metal alchemist will end in January 2011 . but whatever

i think its the best manga of 2010 and one of the greatest manga

when people say one piece art is better than it only make laugh most of people
via close inspection everyone can tell one piece is all about weird large faces

but look at the symbols drawn into FULL metal alchemist how can people say its not art .

about death note it really show the true face of all humans . when i read DEATH NOTE
at the time i had only 1 feeling this is the best manga ever i read

then i read AKUMETSU another underrated but great series

the big 3 gins are just hyped they have nothing

one piece is all about friendship(nakama)

bleach=======noting ithink

naruto========= at least lesson of peace and massacre type reality

fma====massacre,childrens love for their mother,sacrifice,humanity
everything is in this package
akumetsu========= great attack on politics,common man's voice

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Why, hello there fellow manga fans! Most of you should know the Manga Awards we held few days ago! You nominated, you voted, and now you've waited! Presenting to yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, the best shounen manga! But before we go and do that, let's look at the nominations and see which one of those made the cut!

We've had Naruto, Death Note, One Piece, Psyren, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tegami Bachi, Kekkaishi, Shingeki no Kyojin, Hajime no Ippo, Muhyo to Roujie, Hunter x Hunter, Nurarihyon no Mago, D. Gray-Man, Soul Eater, Eyeshield 21, Yu Yu Hakusho, Guyver, Pandora Hearts, I''s, and Slam Dunk as our popular nominations! Lot of manga, am I right?! About fifty-nine to sixty people participated in the nomination round!

However, only the five most nominated manga can go forward, sadly enough. Rest assured, I'm sure many people tried out the recommended manga, so your efforts were not wasted! Some nomination utterly and horribly beat other nominations and left them in the dust!

One Piece lead the pack with twenty-one votes! Twenty-one votes! Like, seriously... this is pitting Michael Jordan in his prime against a team of five-year old kids in basketball! Fullmetal Alchemist came in second place with eleven votes, ten vote difference from One Piece! And before you accuse us, no we didn't fudge with the results at all. I'm sure more preferred FMA over OP. AAAAAAAAAANYWAYS, with nine votes came Naruto in third place! Followed by four votes apiece were Death Note and Psyren! Those five manga made it to the finals, and it was there you voted for the ultimate manga!

You all wondered what to vote for, saw the pros and cons in your view in each manga you read, and felt bad you couldn't judge the manga you didn't read! Some of you closed your eyes and pointed randomly and voted for whatever you pointed at! Whichever, however, whatever, whyever way you voted, you voted! The results are here!

But first, since I like to tease you members, here are some stuff on the nominated manga! The titles link to info page on Manga Updates while in the spoilers are the pics of the manga. For the images, click if you want a bigger view. I found this was better than having rudely let the pics stretch the whole thing out.

One Piece

Fullmetal Alchemist

[url=http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=15]Naruto

Death Note

Psyren

Words from our sponsor! Hey, it's a dog-eat-dog world, we need money too. <_<

Have you been looking for a good shoujo where the story's actually good, the girl's shy, and the guy's not an aggressive bastard, but shy as well? Have you been looking for comedy? Romantic comedy with slice of life? Do you like sidekicks that add something to the manga and add humor? Well, have we got the manga for you! Kimi ni Todoke! It's a great manga and recommended by many manga fans such as yourself! Still not enough reasons? No worries, the following pic should be enough reason!

You reading Kimi ni Todoke will make Sawako smile like that! Don't you want to see her smile her amazing smile?!

Aaaand weeeeeee'reeee baaaaaaaaaaaack! The moment you've been waiting for! The moment you've anticipated! The best shounen manga you have voted for! The winner iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis, ONE PIECE! Majority of members and STAR (Manga Editors, translators, artists, and reviewers) have voted for One Piece! However, majority of staff (mods, globalmods, and admins) have voted for Fullmetal Alchemist. This is proof that voting isn't rigged or anything! =D

Once again, the winner is,

:confetti One Piece! :confetti

And for you guys, we'll even include pictures of OP epicness! I like Robin and Nami, so as long as they, Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Usopp are included, I don't care about the rest. I did find some with full cast just for you members! Thanks to those who helped make the first ever Manga Awards a success! You truly are why MangaHelpers is a great place to be and why it's great! Hope to see you next time! Bye! :bye

(Didn't even notice it was fanart until way later, but it's good. Plus, Nami's chest. :>)

Last edited by a moderator:

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
As expected. I'm glad that i voted for fma and not naruto. Overcame my favoritism, a personal victory, yay! All fma fans, we fought for the just... :)

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I voted for One Piece. Sure, FMA was good, but it wasn't that good to me the way One Piece was. Naruto Part II sucked in most areas, like on Naruto and Sakura, although Jiraiya and Itachi were epic as always and Sasuke's evil turn wasn't as bad. One Piece just kept me interested throughout the series, though there was some dragging moments, but that's to be expected.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I voted for One Piece, too :) Both FMA and OP were really, really good and definitely can be considered new classics/masterpieces (even OP which hasn't finished, unless Oda screws up later which I pray and hope he doesn't and doubt he will). But I think I said this before, but I think OP is the better shounen, in being everything a shounen ought to be. FMA was more than that. Which could have made it "better", but since it broke some shounen stereotypes and went deeper than your usual shounen... I felt it leaned more to the seinen side at times. Thus, One Piece to me was better as a shounen manga, which this category was for. I voted FMA as best manga overall, though.

Do I make sense? Sometimes, I don't get my own logic :worrybunny

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
It was to be expected that OP would win. After all it's the most popular manga amongst kids and most of more mature readers doesn't take part in such childish games or read shounen for that matter.
To me there are dozens shounens better than OP (not to mention seinens, OP winning in the best overall manga category is a joke): FMA, GTO, Desert Punk, Kenji, Trigun, Ninku, Hunter x Hunter, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Gintama, Get Backers, Claymore, Hikaru no Go, even Naruto and Bleach. It's really shocking to me that such average manga has so much popularity...

Last edited: