Best Villain | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Villain

Who is the Best Villain?

• Akainu (One Piece)

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Tobi (Naruto)

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Hisoka (Hunter X Hunter)

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Johan Liebert (Monster)

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Light Yagami (Death Note)

Votes: 32 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Akainu on the other hand is ruthless on a level that his justice can't justify him:
he killed Ace, and that is were his justice ends. He didn't had any problem killing marines because they didn't want to die, you don't see Kizaru or Aokiji killing marines randomly, they fight against pirates because that's their job. Akainu on the other hand simply killed anyone that stood in his way of thinking. You don't see ppl hating Aokiji even if he almost killed all the crew, as well as many pirates in the war. Nor one hates Kizaru, when he did pretty much the same.
I don't hate Akainu. He is "just" a killer. No mindgames, no torture ... in front of the likes of Griffith, he is just a small inoffensive bunny.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yup, Akainu is, based on what we know this far, quite simple. Nothing compared to likes of Griffith and Johan. Or even Light.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
but why is light yagami a villain? he was the main character,although he killed people... as villain I'd say L,mello or near,but light wasn't really bad,he had his idea of justice.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
but why is light yagami a villain? he was the main character,although he killed people... as villain I'd say L,mello or near,but light wasn't really bad,he had his idea of justice.
L,Mello and N are no villains.They are antagonists,but no villains.Just like Light can be a protagonist and a villain at the same time.Protagonist simply means something like main character,while the antagonist is the character working against(anti) him.That does not define their goals in any way,though.Just to make that clear.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
In this case the lead character was the villain himself. I really honestly can't force myself tp think L or Near as villains. Mello maybe if I try really hard. If we go down that road, then that'd make Matsuda a villain too, and a horrible backstabber on top of that. The term villain includes a certain degree of evilness. The term antagonist describes L and Co. better. He just represents opposition against Lights goals.

Light was evil, and thus villain. Maybe not at first, but he certainly developed into one. He took justice in his own hands. And then got drunk of his power, and started to use Death Note solely for his own goals. As I have said before, being a villain still doesn't mean that the character would be hateable and unlikeable by default.

Edit: I'm so slow. Google was faster.

Uchiha_Blood

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Agreed. In front of Griffith, almost every villain of every manga is an inoffensive, cute bunny.
And is true that Akainu is quite linear as a character, and that makes him a good villain, simply because I can consider him as one, while I don't consider not Light nor Hisoka villains. Tobi is a joke, and having never read Monster its not like I can judge a chara on his name :3c

In this case the lead character was the villain himself. I really honestly can't force myself tp think L or Near as villains. Mello maybe if I try really hard. If we go down that road, then that'd make Matsuda a villain too, and a horrible backstabber on top of that. The term villain includes a certain degree of evilness. The term antagonist describes L and Co. better. He just represents opposition against Lights goals.

Light was evil, and thus villain. Maybe not at first, but he certainly developed into one. He took justice in his own hands. And then got drunk of his power, and started to use Death Note solely for his own goals. As I have said before, being a villain still doesn't mean that the character would be hateable and unlikeable by default.

Edit: I'm so slow. Google was faster.
While I agree with you on a certain degree, we can't honestly say that Light is all evil. He did good doing evil. Would global peace be obtained in another way?

Last edited:

Shinomori Aoshi

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
What is the definition of villain?
From a different point of view, Light would be the good guy, since he achieved, with questionable means, an enourmous feat:
he was able to make his world a better place, where criminality diminuished by ( if I remember correctly ) 90%. He didn't kill for his own gain, he killed for a better world. He became corrupted by his absolute power, and that was his downfall, yet one can sympathise with him, since he shouldered a responsibility so great all alone. No wonder he went mad.

Hisoka is imho not even a villain, he isn't evil, he doesn't want to destroy the world or such, he only wants to fight and kill the ones that catch his eye, at the point where he helps them if they're on a bind, like with Kuroro, and now with Gon. He is a bad guy, but by no means a great villain simply because imho he isn't even conceived as one:
he is a wild card, and does as he pleases.

Akainu on the other hand is ruthless on a level that his justice can't justify him:
he killed Ace, and that is were his justice ends. He didn't had any problem killing marines because they didn't want to die, you don't see Kizaru or Aokiji killing marines randomly, they fight against pirates because that's their job. Akainu on the other hand simply killed anyone that stood in his way of thinking. You don't see ppl hating Aokiji even if he almost killed all the crew, as well as many pirates in the war. Nor one hates Kizaru, when he did pretty much the same.
By the way, murdering the small fry criminals like thieves, killers and such is not contributing to world peace at all, in my opinion. If Light chose to kill the big bosses like very very rich people with no respect to human life and dignity or government officials around the world I would consider him a saint!

And I also agree about Griffith.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Agreed. In front of Griffith, almost every villain of every manga is an inoffensive, cute bunny.
And is true that Akainu is quite linear as a character, and that makes him a good villain, simply because I can consider him as one, while I don't consider not Light nor Hisoka villains. Tobi is a joke, and having never read Monster its not like I can judge a chara on his name :3c

While I agree with you on a certain degree, we can't honestly say that Light is all evil. He did good doing evil. Would global peace be obtained in another way?
Well, not saying he was full evil, and he had initially good intentions as I have mentioned. And over all crime dropped drastically in Death Note-verse. But he broke his code by starting to kill people, that weren't criminals by any stantards, people who were after him. He started to use the Note for his own best. Also, the way he exploited Misas love for him wasn't exactly nice. He wasn't pure evil, but I have hard time considering God complexed execution machine exactly a good guy or a hero. Though how you think of Light depends a lot on personal values of the reader. (Opinion on death sentence and "goals justify means" attitude")

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think Tobi is the worst choice, he already got owned by more than one character and is really pathetic... The only one I think doesn't deserves to be there.
Well he did shape the current world in Naruto...of course some of his decisions are questionable, but he did make use of Sasuke, he created Akatsuki, and helped out in the events that shaped Naruto's birth and subsequently Naruto's entire life...whilst Akainu is just a fighter, nothing special there...he is more like a tool in my eyes, tool of the WG...his seiyuu in the anime is the seiyuu of Kenpachi in Bleach...quite fitting IMO:p

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Griffith is easily the best villain out there, but out of these choices Light is certainly the best in terms of his ideals and psychotic development, his cunning ways of executing his plans, his evil aura as a person, the facial expressions, the psychological aspect and the suffering and pain that he caused so many, not to mention mass killings fit perfectly for a villain.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Griffith is easily the best villain out there, but out of these choices Light is certainly the best in terms of his ideals and psychotic development, his cunning ways of executing his plans, his evil aura as a person, the facial expressions, the psychological aspect and the suffering and pain that he caused so many, not to mention mass killings fit perfectly for a villain.
Ideals and psychotic development usually is what KILLS a villain.

A really badass villain doesn't care about goals, but self-enjoyment. Light wanted a better world or some shit like that. It was still altruistic. I see him as the same as Aikanu...a boring chapter, completely predictable.

And no one has better facial expressions than Hisoka. :D

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany

A really badass villain doesn't care about goals, but self-enjoyment. Light wanted a better world or some shit like that. It was still altruistic. I see him as the same as Aikanu...a boring chapter, completely predictable.

Failing as a villain is part of being a villain though. I mean not always but in shounen it happens oh so often. :XD

Well the best category where Light will win actually is anti-hero, that is what he is by literary definition anyway.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Failing as a villain is part of being a villain though. I mean not always but in shounen it happens oh so often. :XD
Well the best category where Light will win actually is anti-hero, that is what he is by literary definition anyway.
Meh. Villains win all the time, but they're defeated always with lame scenes. An awesome villain and worth to win is that one who is not beaten. </trollface>

And maybe. I completely HATE Light, if you have read me. There are better anti-heroes in manga.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Meh. Villains win all the time, but they're defeated always with lame scenes. An awesome villain and worth to win is that one who is not beaten. </trollface>

And maybe. I completely HATE Light, if you have read me. There are better anti-heroes in manga.
Haha, I understand in fact I just remembered some better villain and anti-heroes, I would not even know how to define Lelouch form Code Geass but I am surprised he is not competing in any category. :oh

As for villains, Bakune Young and that mutant thing, I forgot his name from the works of Matsunaga are really good villains imo, really drive the story around as well and they are not beaten in a lame way, Aizen has been giving villains a bad name all too much, but imo he is a good one. :D

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
IMO, Lelouch is only a poor version of Kira. Plus, when we think about Code Geass, we are often talking about the anime (more than the manga).

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
IMO, Lelouch is only a poor version of Kira. Plus, when we think about Code Geass, we are often talking about the anime (more than the manga).
Well these are manga AND anime awards so ... xD

I mean going through the threads I think the opinion stood that these were only manga awards, not that anime-only characters nominated. :oh

jorped

The True Ninja
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Light is going to get my vote. No need to explain why. It's one of those characters, that you will never forget.

Reactions: Nii

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States

I would vote for Hisoka if he actually did Villain like things such as killing someone important to Gon. OMG I just thought of something! If he kills Mito-san Gon will go crazy on his ass.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
So killing random people for fun doesn't qualify for being a villain? Okay.

And these are manga awards. Anime awards is separate thing. Unless they merged without my knowledge :oh

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well these are manga AND anime awards so ... xD
this is completely manga related, the anime awards are seperated from it.
And I agree that Lelouch is just a rip-off, a good rip-off but I prefer the original.

Light is going to get my vote. No need to explain why. It's one of those characters, that you will never forget.
I agree. A good villain (for me) is someone I can sympathize with even though I know that what he's doing is evil and wrong, someone who causes all kinds of feelings in me and not just hate. I honestly wouldn't have mind to see him win, just to break this rule of the villain loosing everytime (in the end). Light was a charismatic, interesting and complex character, Hisoka is kinda similar but Light moved me way more so he gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.