Shounen - Blue Box by Kouji Miura | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Blue Box by Kouji Miura

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire

Blue Box
by Kouji Miura

Genre - Sports, School, Romance
Serialised in Weekly Shounen Jump, from April 21, 2021
Source - MAL

Blue Box is a brimming high school romance among athletes at Eimei Academy. Determination and work ethic drive the students in their chosen sport, which garners admiration from fellow athletes, and thus motivation for romantic feelings.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Ch 20 - Taiki taking a set off Haryu is kind of a big deal but it was used for a cliffhanger page.. perhaps the meaning is more than just one set. Edit - possibly Chinatsu finds out, in the background.

Good focus on Chinatsu's mindset. Hoping to see more of the sport side developed so that the romance has a good basis, particularly in how they can encourage each other to succeed.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ch 21 - well it (Taiki winning a set) was not shown so we can see the real match in the tournament. Haryu has another level it seems.

Taiki won't sleep after that jealous comment... liked it all.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Taiki actually improved after that, lol. Chinatsu actually seemed more restless.

Hyodo's the obvious final. Wonder if Taiki progresses via singles or doubles? I assume the latter.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Well, no nationals at all. Makes sense, but wondering if we have a timeskip or we follow Chinatsu only.

Last edited:

Midak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I have mixed feeling about this series.
I like that the story is written with a realistic tone, but at the same time I am starting to lose interest.
So far the focus of the story has been primarily on the sport competitions, which is ok, but I feel the author should try to use the secondary characters a bit more.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I have mixed feeling about this series.
I like that the story is written with a realistic tone, but at the same time I am starting to lose interest.
So far the focus of the story has been primarily on the sport competitions, which is ok, but I feel the author should try to use the secondary characters a bit more.
I have reservations too. Things have fallen into place nicely but there's no clear path ahead. That said, there's flexibility in the plot to get that engagement. I do agree about secondary characters.

There was a small fast forward I guess. Can the trip and fall onto the bed at the end of 26 go anywhere? Taiki is sick.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
@BD_Beno Have you heard of this manga? Or are you reading it already?

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Which lady do you prefer, and how are you finding this?
Hina for now. Her personality is great. I love the bubbly nature, also her teasing faces are great :XD
But Chinatsu also has her own charm. I don't dislike her, I just prefer Hina.
It's one of those anime where I like both the main girls? Kinda rare in manga like these, so I appreciate how the author has made both girls likeable.

Who do you prefer personally?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Hina for now. Her personality is great. I love the bubbly nature, also her teasing faces are great :XD
But Chinatsu also has her own charm. I don't dislike her, I just prefer Hina.
It's one of those anime where I like both the main girls? Kinda rare in manga like these, so I appreciate how the author has made both girls likeable.

Who do you prefer personally?
I like both too. In a romance setting I choose Hina. Chinatsu is an admirable and composed young lady though, so I can see why Taiki prefers and is infatuated with her.

Also expected you to like Hina more :XD

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I like both too. In a romance setting I choose Hina. Chinatsu is an admirable and composed young lady though, so I can see why Taiki prefers and is infatuated with her.
It feels like one of those stories where he will eventually outgrow the Chinatsu infatuation, because he was taken by her before he even knew who she was. Like, over time he grows to be more aware of Hina? I'm 10 chapters in, but that's the feel I get.

Also expected you to like Hina more :XD
Haha, I like my proactive female leads :p

Is there potential for other female characters to be brought in? They said something about him having two more years in school, so maybe a younger girl will join in the next school year and like him. :ninja

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have time now/ soon in the future, check it out.
Some incentive ;)

That's a nice incentive, I'll put it on my list. Though with the semester in full swing rn, I'm just keeping up with what I'm reading rn, and a LN when I have time. So, when I got a break, I'll give it a shot.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Is there potential for other female characters to be brought in? They said something about him having two more years in school, so maybe a younger girl will join in the next school year and like him. :ninja
We don't need a harem it's already enough that there's 2 of the best girls after him lol.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
@Brandish μ
Caught up. That was a pretty tasty cliffhanger.

I still think Taiki will outgrow these feelings for Chinatsu. Also Hina has less than 10 panels of screentime and we're 26 chapters in :oh

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Well it'll be hard for Taiki to outgrow feelings if Chinatsu likes him too... another cliffhanger.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Lmao, Hina-chan, you give up too easily.

It will be hard for her with how much Taiki is into Chinatsu. Wonder how much thought Taiki gives Hina, he's showing signs of consideration so I'm not closing the door on Hina just yet. The cherry apple scene gave me cherry blossom feels.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
It will be hard for her with how much Taiki is into Chinatsu.

She actually brings it up this latest chapter. I thought it was kinda neat. A good number of other romcoms would shy away from addressing the elephant in the room, so I like that she brings it up before she goes with someone else half-heartedly.

Btw, best panel:

Think from this point onward Taiki will become more self conscious of Hina ;)

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Hermit

Caught up. This series takes me back a bit. Reminds me a lot of the sports, SoL stories I used to read back early in high school.

One thing I'd like to see more is actual game action. I know this isn't in the same vein as typical sports series. But, more like showing a decisive moment in a match, like the doubles match vs. Hyodo, as opposed to stating the result most of the time. Also, some highlights of Chinatsu's road to nationals to get a feel for her playstyle, position, stats, etc. Especially since Miura's art is clearly at its best here, for example those badminton smashes. The detail there is great.

Also, is it just me or are the official colorings underwhelming. I feel like the black and white versions bring the characters more to life in comparison.

Most importantly
I prefer Chinatsu :heh

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Caught up. This series takes me back a bit. Reminds me a lot of the sports, SoL stories I used to read back early in high school.
MY DUDE :hi5
Hahaha, excellent news to get tagged to. Guess we get another thread to take over :kukuku

One thing I'd like to see more is actual game action. I know this isn't in the same vein as typical sports series. But, more like showing a decisive moment in a match, like the doubles match vs. Hyodo, as opposed to stating the result most of the time. Also, some highlights of Chinatsu's road to nationals to get a feel for her playstyle, position, stats, etc. Especially since Miura's art is clearly at its best here, for example those badminton smashes. The detail there is great.
I agree with you, and you are not the only person to think this. I usually lurk r/manga, and check their comments for the WSJ series I follow, Blue Box being among them. Quite a handful of people are kinda disappointed at how the author is seemingly focusing on the romance and sidelining the sports. Personally I wish it was like the earlier bits of the series (From chapter 1-10), we got so much sports focus (Even Chinatsu changing out of her uniform into her gym clothes).
Maybe Miura fears that the sports won't be as interesting as the romance (Since romance tends to be a huge hook in a lot of series).
I wish we saw more of Hina's gymnastics LOL. Like we legit never see anything of it, and it has me so curious because I'd like to know the rules, see other competitors and such.
I actually liked the chapter before the previous one, when Taiki went to that school and we got the 'Sometimes I prefer the underdog line'.

Also, is it just me or are the official colorings underwhelming. I feel like the black and white versions bring the characters more to life in comparison.
Have you seen the volume covers? The hair colors are terrible :lmao

Most importantly
I prefer Chinatsu :heh
:reject
Your first bad take in the time I've known you. Tsk tsk :nah

I just realized we have another Kana vs Akane situation in this manga :Haha