Discussion - Boku no Hero Academia Specials/Omakes | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Boku no Hero Academia Specials/Omakes

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Still waiting for that Tsuyu spinoff though.....

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I think Mineta is even more perverted in this spinoff. These Bakugou scenes never get old :XD.

Still waiting for that Tsuyu spinoff though.....
It's not a spinoff though, only a 5 pages special.

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Awesome, the author, even went the extra leg to confirm some of the hints he set up as foreshadowing for quite a few chaps, I just wonder what will happen to Stain now, he doesnt seem like he´s gonna give more insides on his character, maybe he will focus more on how his ideals will live through the villain aliance members?
That seems interesting in a way, at least, also that popularity pool page afterwards...:wub

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Mandalay and Pixie have the same age? I thought she was a bit younger. They are 31 and are working since 12 years so they became Pros at 19. Love that Momo pic :XD.

Who is the guy at the end?

thatguy3331

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like how everyone is screaming in the character bio section (sans all might) and I continue to love the the way there's a little gag of Midoriya reacting to something on top of the comments page (and the pic at the bottom of that too pfft.)

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
BnHA Official Databook Ultra Archive.

206 pages, it will be out the 2th of May.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
BNHA Jump Ryu:

Horikoshi-sensei has been drawing ever since he was in kindergarten. Mostly monsters and fire trucks back then, but not ones he'd trace over from an example, but he'd make up monsters and try and draw those. For some reason his brother and him only had DB volumes 28 and 33 at home (he's forgotten why ony those two) and he decided he'd want to become a manga artist in 1st grade. Because that was the only profession he knew made a living by drawing.

Then in high school he and his friend both sent in a drawing for the OP Usopp Gallery Pirates Corner And his submission got accepted after which he entered an arts (as in drawing) college as a design major. In his 2nd year he drew his 1st real manga, used up the entire month of August and September stuff in his notes, or drew the beginning of a manga & stopped so the beginning of August was basically "So, how do I do this manga thing?" Again, it's only because a friend suggested they both submit something that he actually took that step seeing his friend being so serious.

Apparently, looking back, the oneshot he got a prize with in the Tezuka Award, basically based on how he felt back then (someone with no "content"), lacks so much (bad perspective, boring story, awful drawing) he's glad that judges also look at what they think the potential of the person who drew it is. Though after that he was very into dark, seinen stuff with realistic drawing styles, but his editor told him what a "shōnen manga" is and that's how he got to draw more Jump-like manga.

After his second series, Barrage, that ended so quickly, he fell in a slump, thinking he wasn't someone who should be writing manga, that he couldn't write any manga anymore. His second editor, Mr. Koike, was the turning point in that slump. Their talks became like counseling that helped him out of his depression.

And it was his friend asking him to draw something for a dōjinshi, which he had a hard time doing but did, that showed he still had it in himself to draw manga! So he came up with MHA which got high praises from the Jump editorial office, got serialized and got a lot of votes with the readers. Only at chapter 5 however (chapters 1 to 4 were all building up to a climax, unlike chapter 5) did he think that it might turn out well this time, since even chapter 5 was very popular with readers! Even though he had a hard time with Barrage, A series where he didn't write anythin he "wanted", & the fear he got afterwards that he couldn't draw something the readers were hoping for. It's thanks to his 2 series that he was able to make MHA. Correct the parts that were bad and keep on using the elements that were good.

Source: https://twitter.com/ghennequin

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Wow, this is all so insightful! Do we know which one shots he did before? And if it's not too much too ask, I'd be interested if someone could draw up a timeline of his works including the oneshots. I think we should have enough info available to make one.

thatguy3331

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting that Barrage was a manga where he didn't write anything he wanted, because even though I enjoyed what I was able to with that series, Oomadouki Zoo (Which I never got really far in) seemed to have a lot more elements that he actually enjoyed as apposed to Barrage which felt a bit more by the numbers, in spite of all the alien monsters he got to draw. I only really considered this of Barrage when I read My hero academia and the tone of the series seemed to follow what he was saying about this being about "what he actually wanted to write" and how this was basically his last suicidal like leap at making manga. It's depressing as fuck to consider that way, but it makes me all the happier My hero academia was successful.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I think both series were obviously a set-up from Jump to gauge Horikoshi's potential. Oumazoo showed his wildly creative potential, but it was clear that storytelling-wise, he was still very, very raw. Barrage was an attempt from Jump to push him towards a more conventional storyline so he'd understand shonen archetypal tropes.

With MHA they took the best parts from both series and the rest is history.

Ilyia

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The special chapter "Tsuyu's Ribbet-ing Diary" is online: http://bato.to/reader#62045a0e9e8506a5
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There was a special chapter of the SMASH!! Spinoff in this weeks WSJ issue, which can be found here: http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/Omake Special/3332/1
--- Double Post Merged, ---
The Omake of Volume 8 (untranslated). Source/Credit: yonkouproductions
Himiko is cute as always. Looking forward to having that page translated even though if probably wont say anything of real relevance.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Volume 8 omake translated by FA.

So the support staff didn't follow Momo's requests to the letter, it's a shame :XD. Didn't think Mandalay was the leader of the Pussycats.

Last edited:

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Not too surprising, if you consider her personality. She always seemed to be the one to balance out everyone's personality. Also, somebody on pixiv ships MandalayXAizawa, I had to admit it was kinda cute, but I was wondering what led them to think they could be a match for each other, but now I know they share the same hobbies, and Aizawa does like cats after all.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
To be honest I thought about these ships since the Training Camp arc started due to the reasons you stated, after reading that Pixie-bob was single and wanted to marry. But I had not considered Mandalay at first because I thought she was not of Pixie-Bob's generation.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
You mean you thought Mandalay was a different age from her?? Yeah, I can kinda see why you did.

Honestly, you can easily see Kouta being a bit overprotective with Mandalay after what happened to Ragdoll and Pixiebob. Aizawa is just so easy to typecast into the adoptive mom's boyfriend that Kouta thinks is no good for her since he looks too much like a lazy bum.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
You mean you thought Mandalay was a different age from her?? Yeah, I can kinda see why you did.

Honestly, you can easily see Kouta being a bit overprotective with Mandalay after what happened to Ragdoll and Pixiebob. Aizawa is just so easy to typecast into the adoptive mom's boyfriend that Kouta thinks is no good for her since he looks too much like a lazy bum.
Yes, I would have given her 25 years old or so. It's the same for Ryuko but they mentioned her age early.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hmm... I just checked Aizawa's birthday again and his is in November while Shino (Mandalay) is May. That would mean they were probably in the same graduating class at Yuuei.