Discussion - Can Luffy surpass roger in power | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Can Luffy surpass roger in power

MaiSiaoSiao

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Lol see-ing now that he can switch on G2 on any part of his body.Maybe during battle.He could move G2 to any part of his body in an instant.And G3 i think we've seen pretty much everything that can be used.The arms and legs.But maybe he found a way not to shrink after using it though.
Was hoping that he could combine both G2 and G3 and use it.
"Gomu Gomu No Jet gigant Pistol" lol i'd like to see the reaction of whoever gonna take that punch.

Syzerd

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Roger was the strongest back in his days and thats why he conquered the GL and started the Golden Age of Pirates, so if Luffy is the next one to conquer the GL, he need to be the strongest of this great era.

Being the golden age of pirates now, there are more pirates today than in the old days, so being the strongest is more difficult than back in roger days, so having that in mind when Luffy becomes the PK he already have surprassed roger imo.

But thats not all, we all can see that roger wanted to do something after reaaching Raftel that he couldn't because of his health condition, so if Luffy can finish what roger was trying to do, thats obviously that Luffy went further than roger.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France
Lol see-ing now that he can switch on G2 on any part of his body.Maybe during battle.He could move G2 to any part of his body in an instant.And G3 i think we've seen pretty much everything that can be used.The arms and legs.But maybe he found a way not to shrink after using it though.
Was hoping that he could combine both G2 and G3 and use it.
"Gomu Gomu No Jet gigant Pistol" lol i'd like to see the reaction of whoever gonna take that punch.
I think that actually we are far from having seen everything from Gear 3. Until now, Gear 3 was only used to upgrade classical attacks, hence the title Gigant with the attacks. With the 2 year time skip, Luffy has mastered the control of Gear 3 and can now better choose where he wants to keep the air inside his body. That gives him many more opportunities, which are not possible with his normal Gear. Indeed, remember the Elephant Gun during the underwater travel.

jamarTheDem

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think luffy came up with a G4 or G1 all ready. Like Turning his arm into a sharp rubber sword by using Haki So he can fight a swordman evenly. or turning his nails into rubber bullets.

gunsmoke69

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well if he can use gear 2 and 3 together then that would be amazing. I really hope he has sumthing up his sleeve that surprises every1 who watches 1 piece.

elitefox

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well for sure, he really needs more power than of a yonkou to turn the world arround and lead the nation to its golden age

Haynes

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Roger was the strongest back in his days and thats why he conquered the GL and started the Golden Age of Pirates, so if Luffy is the next one to conquer the GL, he need to be the strongest of this great era.

Being the golden age of pirates now, there are more pirates today than in the old days, so being the strongest is more difficult than back in roger days, so having that in mind when Luffy becomes the PK he already have surprassed roger imo.

But thats not all, we all can see that roger wanted to do something after reaaching Raftel that he couldn't because of his health condition, so if Luffy can finish what roger was trying to do, thats obviously that Luffy went further than roger.
Just because there are more pirates in this era doesn't mean it's harder. It just means there's more fodder (zing!).

I don't like the whole "Luffy surpasses Roger" line of thinking. Because it's not possible to have the two fight. Even if it was possible, if Luffy won it doesn't mean he surpassed Roger. Luffy just want's to be a free man who can roam the sea.

J1nsan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well this has been a question on my mind for quite some time now and i always wondered if luffy would become stronger than what roger was back in the old days..Luffy is gonna pawn blackbeard at the end of one piece to take the title... Blackbeard has the most devastating and strongest devil fruit powers rite now so im guessing hes gonna be stronger than whitebeard or roger back in their prime...wont it mean that if luffy beats him he surpasses every1 including roger?? well these r just my assumptions... wat do you guyz think??
I personally don't believe that Blackbeard necessarily has the strongest devil fruit because devil fruits don't always mean you're the strongest. Luffy has been a devil fruit user for over half his life and he still wasn't able to defeat Ace before he had devil fruit powers. I believe that devil fruits don't always mean you're the best/greatest; another example would be Enel. He was a character who was dubbed a god in Skypeia because how effective his ability was on the island.

There is also no necessary statement saying who's stronger than who but subtle hints as to who's at what level. I mean, Oda even gives titles to people who are on another level compared to people. The Yonkou are clearly the strongest pirates in the present time from one of many things so far.
1. The marines are afraid to touch them.
2. They rule the New World
3. Shanks' and Whitebeard's clash split the skies, which no one has ever done yet and that already says enough in terms of who's at level in terms of ability.
Seeing all of this stuff leaves me to believe that Roger didn't have a devil fruit. I know there's no proof that he did or didn't but I think by letting Rogers have a devil fruit ability would weaken his legendary status as the pirate king. It would also kind of take away from Garp since he doesn't have a devil fruit and they both were rivals/friends.

In the end I'm not sure if Luffy can surpass Roger in power but he will definitely make his own strength known and acknowledged since the old age had definitely given their nod to Luffy leading the new age. Oda's progression has led the series in a way that ends the chapter of an old era and leads its way to a new era so there really isn't a reason or purpose to argue which era had the strongest pirates or who will surpass who but more as to who will carry the torch of the pirate essence. I think Luffy will overcome Blackbeard in the future but for him to have the strength comparable to the people of the past like Rogers, Whitebeard, Garp, Sengoku, Shanks, or Rayleighs when he does? I don't think so. Ace almost was able to defeat Blackbeard when they fought but he had the disadvantage of not knowing Blackbeard's true abilities and that gave him a handicap. I guess what I'm saying is absolute power isn't truly needed to overcome enemies and that's been shown throughout the series.

I think that actually we are far from having seen everything from Gear 3. Until now, Gear 3 was only used to upgrade classical attacks, hence the title Gigant with the attacks. With the 2 year time skip, Luffy has mastered the control of Gear 3 and can now better choose where he wants to keep the air inside his body. That gives him many more opportunities, which are not possible with his normal Gear. Indeed, remember the Elephant Gun during the underwater travel.
I agree, Oda usually shows an aftermath panel of Luffy reverting to a kid after using Gear 3 and he clearly had no side effects when using the Elephant gun technique in Gear 3 underwater. So Luffy has most likely mastered Gear 3 now.

Best example? Enel. Enel is someone who would be admiral level or a pirate with at least a bounty of 500 million as confirmed by oda, he has a super strong fruit, intangibility, can read movements of anyone within 50 km radius, and his attacks are so overpowered he can kill nearly anyone in a single attack. Luffy lucked out with being rubber, or else he would not of won. Not only that but even with that fact enel still found a way to beat down luffy using aftereffects of his fruit(electricity to melt gold etc), till luffy finally won.

Crocodile, luffy using water then blood to solidify his fruit.

Ussop besting number(4?) and nami constantly winning not with strengh but strat~.

Sanji is always behind the scenes looking for ways to sabotage.

Zoro is the classic all out battle decided in one crude hit whoever is stronger wins.

Hell almost every fight took a lot of thinking. Fighting OZ, assaulting Enis Lobby and technically even luffy making gear second can be seen as the underdog trying anything to win. He see CP9s technics and the only way he could find a way to win was to essentially copy and adapt them for himself(gear second and third) otherwise there was no chance, and even with them they barely lost.

I mean I like naruto and bleach, read them weekly. They were awesome when they started out, became shit over time, kinda started getting better in last year or so. One Piece is so consistant and everything is new from arc to arc and Oda came up with a way that he can vary his arcs great deal without plot holes thanks to the fucked up weather in grand line. So he can change the setting and have it make sense, from winter islands to summer islands to thirller bark, enis lobby, the red line, the countless islands, screwed up weather, the log posts, fishman island. He mixes silly with fun, adventure with design and inventive beyond belief. That is what makes One Piece the greatest manga, not that it sold the most manga copies of any book let alone manga ever sold in Japan(which it did), and not because the fanbase seems much more down to earth, don't take things seriously and don't flip out or call other series down. It's because the person behind the magic knows what we like, and knows exactly how to tell a fun story. It is a series that it truly feels i'm along with the adventure. During Naruto I feel Naruto will always just pull the old nine tails card, but I have to admit some of my favorite fights are in naruto, and the begining up till episode 60 of bleach is amazing. Otherwise the shows feel empty to me, random plotkai.

See Oda can pull surprises from any angle, and you know eventually strawhats will win, but in some cases they lose... Sometimes they win... Sometimes they come out half alive, sometimes nearly dead. Sometimes they get utterlly destroied. It feels like a real story, when suspense comes it might actually be something bad happening. Hard to explain.
You brought up a great point man. That's what I was getting at, pure strength isn't necessarily the way to win in the One Piece world and the aforementioned examples clearly proved it. Usopp and Nami were by far the weakest characters, which I'm not sure of now because of the time skip, but they still managed to win. Luffy even lost to Usopp before because of the reject dial when Luffy is clearly stronger than Usopp in almost all aspects.

I also agree with the statement about Naruto and Bleach. There's currently no consistency like One Piece and I'm disappointed as a fan. I'll just leave it at that since this is a thread about One Piece.

Last edited:

arynelson

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
the last time luffy saw rayleigh he sad "im going to make it"...and it appears to me that ray with knowledge of luffys actual power believed so...he even cried...
We can conclude that if he is not really at an youkon level hes gona make it, do to rayleighs reaction...

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Luffy can really surpass Roger in power due to his devastating DF and his enormous Haki that is growing even more after the serious fights. Luffy's Elefant Gun attack was one of the strongest attacks in the whole manga and took down Kraken that was several times bigger than a ship in one blow.:) And I think he didn't even shown his best, so of course to reach Raftel and to become the freest man in the world he needs to become the strongest being able to surpass Roger.:)

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First...Well, to become a Pirate King He should surpass him.

Second..We don't know a thing about Roger's powers. :/

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
LordUriel
We know that he was on par or stronger than WB, hence we know at least mas or menos where he was on the power scale.:)

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
LordUriel
We know that he was on par or stronger than WB, hence we know at least mas or menos where he was on the power scale.:)
We should consider that Whitebeard as we saw it was quite defeated by not only time but a disease.

Maybe Garp is a good indication of his power...

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
LordUriel
Anyway we can at least understand that if that WB was way from his best, we can understand the level of Roger's power.:) Cause he was better or on par with WB at his best.:) So we can safely assume that Roger could have taken from one up to two Admirals at his prime, cause I actually see WB doing this without his decease and age.:)

Immo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I think Luffy has unlimited potential:
- He is light immune and can combinate his attack with lightning (see 10th movie).
- He has King's Haki and can combinate his attack with that. He also is phisycal damage immune because of his rubber body.
- He can become extremly fast because of his gear 2nd and improve it till his speed get's close to speed of sound or even light so he can avoid almost everything.
- He is close and range fighter.
- He isn't afraid of anything and is fighting till his body is able to
- He is pretty smart while fighting and takes opponent seriously
- He has dream so his motivation is strong enough to face anybody

The only limit of his power is his body and health, but if you ask me if you put every character in time capsule for 100 years including Roger, Whitebeard etc i bet Luffy will leave capsule as strongest, not only because of his DF potential

Shuusui

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Well this has been a question on my mind for quite some time now and i always wondered if luffy would become stronger than what roger was back in the old days..Luffy is gonna pawn blackbeard at the end of one piece to take the title... Blackbeard has the most devastating and strongest devil fruit powers rite now so im guessing hes gonna be stronger than whitebeard or roger back in their prime...wont it mean that if luffy beats him he surpasses every1 including roger?? well these r just my assumptions... wat do you guyz think??
bb isn't strong like that, he defeated by wb so easily ,
and whitebeard 72 years old with half face + many deadly wounds,
even this conditions he defeated blackbeard so easily
in the past ; wb 45-50 and roger 30-40 , they are equals
i think old ones very strong if we compare with this age

Anduren

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been getting the feeling that when Luffy finally ends up fighting Blackbeard he's going to steal Luffy's Rubber ability permanently the same way he did with Whitebeard. Either way, Blackbeard can make Luffy's devil fruit useless in a fight so Luffy is not only going to have to fight and defeat Blackbeard, but he has to do it without being able to use Gear 2 or 3. I could be wrong since we don't know much of anything about what Gol D. Roger had to do to overcome the grand line, but I'd go out on a limb and say he didn't have to fight anyone who had two of the most dangerous devil fruit abilities with the handicap of being a hammer in the water.

As far as ambition and conviction goes (taking physical strength aside), I think Luffy and Gol D. Roger will be equal. This is what Shanks and Rayleigh noticed when they saw him. Those kinds of qualities don't really get stronger over time, only reinforced or discouraged through experience.

frontaLobotomy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While not taking anything away from Roger's own strength, I think Luffy will have to surpass him in terms of power if he's to make it to the top. I'm only basing this on Luffy's ultimate rival being Blackbeard. While Whitebeard was no pushover, Teach not only has two abilities, he's also someone who carries a D.

There's also the factor of having to go one better than one's own superiors. I'm not saying that becoming Pirate King was any less difficult when Roger earned the title, but by mentioning One Piece, he created an age that acted as a huge motivator for aspiring pirates to match. You could say that he's daring someone to surpass him, as he did not use whatever it was he learned at Raftel to change the world. When Luffy and his crew get there, I feel that they will use that to bring about the change that Whitebeard foreshadowed before his death.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
frontaLobotomy
According to Whitebeard it seems that Teach isn't actually one of "D". WB said that BB isn't one of those Roger is waiting for. Also BB is coward and all "D" smile before death.

J1nsan

Reaction score
Country
United States
- He can become extremly fast because of his gear 2nd and improve it till his speed get's close to speed of sound or even light so he can avoid almost everything.
He's clearly even surpassed the speed he had from Gear 2 since the time skip. He dodged a Pacifista's light beam attack, which is based on Kizaru's own light beam attack; and we know Kizaru, from what he says, can kick/attack at the speed of light. So the Pacifista's attacks must be on par or at least near the speed and destructiveness of Kizaru's own attacks. So since the time skip Luffy commented on how slow the Pacifista's beam verbally and physically, all the while being in his normal state, is and then attacked soon after with Gear 2.