Discussion - Character's performance that underwhelmed you | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Character's performance that underwhelmed you

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Post skipped to the current events right now. Especially with Egghead arc, there are a lot of skirmishes all over the place.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Jack
Hawkins
X Drake

WILDCARD 1 7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
The New Admirals.
Smoker.
Drake X.
Smoothie.
Bobbin.

Last edited:

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The yonkos have certainly been power of plot nerfed. BB has been taking major l’s although he probably will kill garp

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
X Drake: A complete non-factor in the raid and didn't succeed in demonstrating anything of note despite both being a Supernova, a Flying Six, and having a powerful fruit. A disappointment on three points. Even Hawkins, who I feel is unfairly maligned for the most part, at least functioned as a hindrance for both Kidd and Killer for a period.

Jack: Such a strong start and set a pretty good tone for the Beast Pirates, but he was unfortunately let down by the plot. Inu and Neko should've really had a more focused subplot against him. Dude didn't even get a named attack.

Chopper: He's done next to nothing since the start of the time skip. He's had small moments, but nothing really substantial or of special note. Franky used to be my least favorite Strawhat, but Chopper has taken up that mantle.

Smoothie: I don't know what she did to Oda to receive the treatment that she's been given, but it's unfortunate considering her standing.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
All-Stars and Tobi Roppo.

Kaidou and Big Mom were pretty strong but not threatening. And with these recent Awakenings I don't know anymore.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kaido and All Stars - no awakening
Big Mom - not using aCoC

Tobi Roppo - 2 of them taken down by BM and one detected

Eiichiro Oda - the most underwhelming imo. Had way too much expectations going into Wano 🙂

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
X Drake: A complete non-factor in the raid and didn't succeed in demonstrating anything of note despite both being a Supernova, a Flying Six, and having a powerful fruit. A disappointment on three points. Even Hawkins, who I feel is unfairly maligned for the most part, at least functioned as a hindrance for both Kidd and Killer for a period.

Jack: Such a strong start and set a pretty good tone for the Beast Pirates, but he was unfortunately let down by the plot. Inu and Neko should've really had a more focused subplot against him. Dude didn't even get a named attack.

Chopper: He's done next to nothing since the start of the time skip. He's had small moments, but nothing really substantial or of special note. Franky used to be my least favorite Strawhat, but Chopper has taken up that mantle.

Smoothie: I don't know what she did to Oda to receive the treatment that she's been given, but it's unfortunate considering her standing.
Agree with all of this except Chopper. He has done a lot of doctoring just no fighting. Chopper did a lot in Punk Hazard, Zou, and Wano on the medical side of things from the gigantified/drug addicted kids to curing Queen's viral diseases.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

My biggest disappointments have been the Yonko Commanders that didn't have the blessing of getting to fight Luffy. They all got really short fights/back stories if anything at all. We still have people like Smoothie out there who has done nothing but stand let alone get a proper fight. And unfortunately now the power levels have moved on so they'll never get any spotlight again.

On the Yonko front def disappointed by how Oda finished Big Mom off. She deserved to showcase more.

The Marines in general have also been depressing. They are nothing but postering. None of them have impressed and they keep losing fights or just leaving them unresolved. The new Admirals didn't get as good an introduction as the OG ones who were first portrayed as unstoppable forces.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chopper MP was able to tangle with Queen for 20 minutes. That arguably as impressive as the mid trio in Onigashima.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with all of this except Chopper. He has done a lot of doctoring just no fighting. Chopper did a lot in Punk Hazard, Zou, and Wano on the medical side of things from the gigantified/drug addicted kids to curing Queen's viral diseases.
I'm honestly not really impressed with his doctoring, unfortunately.

Punk Hazard was especially a missed opportunity for Chopper and Law to really speak about the medical issues of the kids as peers and brainstorm the solutions. Instead, while Chopper recognized the issue, Law was the one who simply removed the drug from the children and that was that.

Zou was fine, but nothing really major, imo. Again, it was another opportunity that was kind of undercut by the fact that Chopper had assistance from Ceasar rather than figuring out a cure for the gas weapon himself.

Wano was better, but it was more for a too little too late situation for me. Plus, it wasn't as "big" a moment as I'd have hoped. Like, Brook has been pretty background for the most part of the story, but he his two main moments in WCI were just perfect. I was hoping for something on that level, and those Wano moments didn't match up to it. Honestly, it would've been better if he was the one who mainly healed Zoro rather than the super Mink medicine. Have it be something he'd been cooking up but hadn't perfected just yet and it was still in its experimental phase. Could've been a nice moment between the two as well.

Last edited:

everythingnice

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail

Punk Hazard was especially a missed opportunity for Chopper and Law to really speak about the medical issues of the kids as peers and brainstorm the solutions. Instead, while Chopper recognized the issue, Law was the one who simply removed the drug from the children and that was that.

Zou was fine, but nothing really major, imo. Again, it was another opportunity that was kind of undercut by the fact that Chopper had assistance from Ceasar rather than figuring out a cure for the gas weapon himself.

Wano was better, but it was more for a too little too late situation for me. Plus, it wasn't as "big" a moment as I'd have hoped. Like, Brook has been pretty background for the most part of the story, but he his two main moments in WCI were just perfect. I was hoping for something on that level, and those Wano moments didn't match up to it. Honestly, it would've been better if he was the one who mainly healed Zoro rather than the super Mink medicine. Have it be something he'd been cooking up but hadn't perfected just yet and it was still in its experimental phase. Could've been a nice moment between the two as well.
It's sad that I'm actually agreeing with you here :(

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
if we are being honest..Sanji was very underwhelming until Wano.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
if we are being honest..Sanji was very underwhelming until Wano.
That's just an opinion and I don't agree with it.(joking of course) 😂
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sanji certainly could have done more, but I highly value his character development over everyone elses
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Kaido and All Stars - no awakening
Big Mom - not using aCoC

Tobi Roppo - 2 of them taken down by BM and one detected

Eiichiro Oda - the most underwhelming imo. Had way too much expectations going into Wano 🙂
The Big Mom not using ACoC was an absolute joke

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sanji certainly could have done more, but I highly value his character development over everyone elses
Yup. Sure, he could've done with a few more W's in the New World, but his character work has been the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. And, while I still have some issues with the nature of his power-up and the poor choreography of his fight, I feel he's fine power-scaling-wise. I definitely understand being underwhelmed by him though. Oda definitely tested my faith with him for sure.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States

That's fair, he wasn't allowed to fully shine in the earlier post skip arcs since he had to share the attention with Law & Caesar.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Kinemon for me. As the leader he didnt had anything special going on, besides his DF. His plans were miserable and only suceeded because the smart people thought too highly of him.

And Page1 sadly. He rocked Sanji in the manga and after that quickly fell down as comedy part of Ulti.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
I can understand Chopper a bit; I like his character but he’s impactful when the plot calls for it. So PTS I never been underwhelmed. What he showed before Wano was good enough for me.

Personally I don’t like what Oda has done with Sanji PTS. I mean everything, Sanji was never so immature & annoying. He use to be a lot more impactful.

Kinemon been trash in terms of impactful relevance. He’s just along for the ride. In Wano he did a wee bit of peddling lol.