Discussion - Cheese, love or hate | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Cheese, love or hate

How do you like cheese ?

• I love cheese

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • I like cheese

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • I hate cheese

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm allergic

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Blai current sig made me thing a thread about cheese is missing.

So what is your relation with cheese ? Do you like it or can not approach it in a range of 5 meter ?

As you may know France is THE country for cheese

The number of types in France is simply incomputable. They are rond, square, heart shaped ; soft, hard, liquid ; with cow milk, goat milk, sheep milk...
What I think is difficult for people who are not use with cheese, is that French ones tend to be very smelly. And I mean really very smelly. Even a camembert (I guess the most famous French cheese) can achieve bacteriological level when left too much time in the fridge. However a cheese lover will not be afraid of the smell and may say the smeller, the better.
However not all French like cheese, my sister in law for example can only eat melted rasped emmental.

So how is it in your country ? Do you eat quite a lot ? What type of cheese ? And whatever you can said about that godly food

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I personally love cheese, all of it. I have yet to try a cheese I did not like. Not sure if there is a particular type of cheese which would be popular in my country. I suspect one but I don't know the name in english lol.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I love cheese oh so much, although American cheese bores me. Gotta try more cheese though.

Cheese is awesome.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Dunno why but in USA food in general leans toward the bland side in terms of taste. It's like people there avoid flavor lol. I remember when I had decided to stop eating the terrible, terrible food and my school's cafeteria and just cook terrible food myself(its not terrible but obviously I am not a chef lol). Beer is particularly watery in USA...

Anyways, what do you mean by american cheese? Are you talking about that cheddar cheese thing or cheese in USA in general? Even though I have never gotten the impression the average joe particularly enjoys cheese in USA (other than american cheese or cheez whiz) it is still very easy easy to find reasonably large selections in just about any supermarket.

I do recall something fun from my childhood involving cheese. My dad used to get a baguette bread, cut in in slices and put slices of bree cheese on top. Then he would use a blowtorch (not sure if that is the right word but you get the idea) to toast the bread (so to speak lol) and meld the cheese. Then we woud add olive oil and eat it. It was fun, unnecessarily destructive in a few ways and delicious. I think my dad saw that in a cooking channel. He sometimes cooks as a hobby but he kinda experiments with stuff which ends end looking like he is playing with food and I kind picked the habit. Food is fun lol.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Dunno why but in USA food in general leans toward the bland side in terms of taste. It's like people there avoid flavor lol. I remember when I had decided to stop eating the terrible, terrible food and my school's cafeteria and just cook terrible food myself(its not terrible but obviously I am not a chef lol). Beer is particularly watery in USA...
It reminds me when I visited the Coors brasserie in colorado with a friend. At the end you have the traditional tasting. I tasted the standard one, and it was so watery I couldn't imagine the taste of the light version everyone seems to be so proud of. And I don't talk about the coffee :-) Hopefully we don't go there for food.

I do recall something fun from my childhood involving cheese. My dad used to get a baguette bread, cut in in slices and put slices of bree cheese on top. Then he would use a blowtorch (not sure if that is the right word but you get the idea) to toast the bread (so to speak lol) and meld the cheese. Then we woud add olive oil and eat it. It was fun, unnecessarily destructive in a few ways and delicious. I think my dad saw that in a cooking channel. He sometimes cooks as a hobby but he kinda experiments with stuff which ends end looking like he is playing with food and I kind picked the habit. Food is fun lol.
Correct spelling is brie :-). But what your father may have been inspired with is a Barbecue camembert which is really an awesome way to eat it.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Anyways, what do you mean by american cheese? Are you talking about that cheddar cheese thing or cheese in USA in general? Even though I have never gotten the impression the average joe particularly enjoys cheese in USA (other than american cheese or cheez whiz) it is still very easy easy to find reasonably large selections in just about any supermarket.
Dunno, but it comes in white and yellow. You put it on sandwiches and stuff.

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I always felt kinda disgusted by the whole 'canned cheese' thing. Thank god they don't have it in Aus yet... but they do have 'cheese spread' which looks kinda suspicious. ;A;

On a side note- I hate camembert. My family freakin' LOVES it though.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Dunno, but it comes in white and yellow. You put it on sandwiches and stuff.
Then I think it's cheddar.

I always felt kinda disgusted by the whole 'canned cheese' thing. Thank god they don't have it in Aus yet... but they do have 'cheese spread' which looks kinda suspicious. ;A;

On a side note- I hate camembert. My family freakin' LOVES it though.
How can a cheese be in can you barbarian aussies :-))
When i think about it my 6 month in australia where very long months without cheese and baguette. That may be the hardest for a French

Last edited:

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
<hr noshade size="1">

How can a cheese be in can you barbarian aussies :-))
When i think about it my 6 month in australia where very long months without cheese and baguette. That may be the hardest for a French
Like this, you misguided Frenchman:

They also have this too, apparently:

Welcome to America, land of the spray-cheese. Australia doesn't seem so bad anymore, does it? :tem

The Philippines were also pretty bad. They have this:

The worst that Australia has is this:

Yes. That is vegemite and cheese mixed together. -____-

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
<hr noshade size="1">
Doesn't taste like cheddar, the way I know it anyway. <_<

The worst that Australia has is this:

Yes. That is vegemite and cheese mixed together. -____-
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I can't even comprehend it! D:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AUSSIES?!

Seriously, vegemite and cheese? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

Cheese is a heavenly thing. You do not mix it just because you feel like it! :pwnge

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

And vegemite is already plenty awful like that. No need to add it to something else. But seriously I don't think we can call this things cheese. Is there milk in the ingredients ?

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

And vegemite is already plenty awful like that. No need to add it to something else. But seriously I don't think we can call this things cheese. Is there milk in the ingredients ?
Hey! Vegemite is yummy! ^^

No idea. I'm guessing it's cheese spread with vegemite flavouring, or something. Not actual cheese.
I've never eaten it. I mean, when I was growing up I knew some of my classmates made cheese-and-vegemite sandwhiches but I always thought that was disgusting so I've never tried it. It's not that popular here. -_-

But it's not that different from Peanut butter and jam and other weird mixes other countries have.

Doesn't taste like cheddar, the way I know it anyway. <_<

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I can't even comprehend it! D:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AUSSIES?!

Seriously, vegemite and cheese? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

Cheese is a heavenly thing. You do not mix it just because you feel like it! :pwnge
DUDe YOU EAT PROCESSED CHEESE OUT OF A SPRAY BOTTLE. 'NUFF SAID. XD

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Vegimite is something you need a very long time until you start to appreciate it. I was only in Australia 6 months :-))

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
DUDETTE, I SO DON'T DO THAT! OTHERS DO!

VEGEMITE WITH CHEESE IS WORSE! It's like, jam with cheese or potato with candy. MAKES NO FREAKIN' SENSE!

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Actually jam with cheese can be very good. It just have to be something else than the products shown above.
The goat cheeses in particular, so it's more often eaten with honey.
But I have also eaten a hot camembert with a red fruit jam and it was delicious
I can imagin that some hard pastry like the gruyère or the comté which are already very fruity cheesy go also well with jam

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I... I'M ALLERGIC TO CHEESE :scry

By the way, I'm the one whom M3J is talking about in the quote in Blai's sig :sweat But I still really like cheese even though I'm allergic to it. It gives me rashes but I can live with them... For cheese! :whoabunny I like all sorts of cheese, though the really really strong blue cheeses are a no-no because of their smell and overwhelming taste :XD

I love cheese on pizza and in omelettes, in particular :3

And I honestly can't imagine eating cheese with vegemite though :bored Jam with cheese... Hmm, I'm not too sure but it might work.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Since you like melted cheese, have you ever tried a Raclette. I've eaten one with some german friends here in Bremen and it's funny because german don't eat it at all like french do !

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I love raclette!! :nuts My parents got a cheap raclette machine (?) when they were in Europe at a sale, so we eat raclette pretty often :) It's lovely! It goes very well with sour stuff and over potatoes :3 Cheese fondue is another favorite.

Might have to cut down from now on though :scry Ugh I hate being allergic to cheese :(

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
When I made the tour of the mont blanc last summer, there was fondue in all hotel available in switzerland. But in one, instead of the traditional cheese and bread, it was a mix of cheese beer and tomato sauce that you put on top of potatoes like for the raclette. It was extremely good too and less smelly than the usual one

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love cheese, but it doesn't love me. When I make Aazholh's Infamous Mexican Casserole and use 1 bag of Kraft shredded cheese.... Afterwords, I feel like I'm sick.