Discussion - Crocodile Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Crocodile Discussion Thread

OunknownO

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Do you think crocodile was a villan from begining(like flamingo) or he changed because some event in his life(like Moria(all of his old crew died in the NW)?

[mod=Gecko]Prefixed thread[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

RichardMNixon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Crocodile

He implied to me that he once dreamed of being the pirate king but had his dreams shattered, probably when he got crushed by Whitebeard in light of what we know now.

I think this and the next page are it, though I remember it being more explicit in the anime, might just be a different translation though. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/208/08/

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel

He implied to me that he once dreamed of being the pirate king but had his dreams shattered, probably when he got crushed by Whitebeard in light of what we know now.

I think this and the next page are it, though I remember it being more explicit in the anime, might just be a different translation though. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/208/08/
Though it doesn't mean that he was a good person, yes? I mean, look at Kid.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i think he was a bad guy since the begining of his journey, at least for what he looks like when Gol was excuted, he had an evil aura to him, by the way, the way he was shown in chapter 0 (with his face covered in shadows) makes me think Oda sensei might reveal something about his past thats gonna be important, but that could be just my imagination (hopes and wishes, since even if i think he is a prik and an A-hole, he is one of my favorite charactes since he is a total bad ass)

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Everyone in One piece world would like to at least see the One Piece (for those who don't have great goals in their life -_-'), so I guess that he tried to reach the one piece once but failed ... something happened, hence he had to settle for establishing his own country.

frontaLobotomy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He's just a pirate. They all have grandiose notions and want to see them come to fruition. I'm interested to see what he will do after the current Arc. It seems Mr.1 is still loyal to him, which is the starting point of making a pretty strong crew.

OunknownO

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
He's just a pirate. They all have grandiose notions and want to see them come to fruition. I'm interested to see what he will do after the current Arc. It seems Mr.1 is still loyal to him, which is the starting point of making a pretty strong crew.
Mr. 1 is weak acording to New World standards, a crocodile is stong like wb commander so to put it simply.... they aren't stong at all

frontaLobotomy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the whole concept behind people who dwell in the New World. I mean, Lola's crew were born in the New World, and were fodder. The crews that have sailed the Grand Line to get there are the ones that stand out.Crocodile has been defeated, from what we can gather, by Whitebeard and Luffy - There's no shame in that as they're bigtime Pirates. Against others he's stood his ground notably well.

Poneglyph420

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Croc. is a former Shichibukai for a reason. He is bad ass. He can hold his own against Doflamingo and in their first two battles he did beat Luffy. I think he's amazingly powerful, but dependent on his DF and cunning..

I'd love to see more of his past.. some sort of ties to an old crew from Roger's age or maybe some crew of his own. I'd like to see Croc. form a new crew and head out to the NW....
But for now he's still a serious threat to both the Marines and WB and allies..
Personally I'd like to see him take out Doflamingo and take back his spot...

Super Angillis

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States

i think he was a bad guy since the begining of his journey, at least for what he looks like when Gol was excuted, he had an evil aura to him, by the way, the way he was shown in chapter 0 (with his face covered in shadows) makes me think Oda sensei might reveal something about his past thats gonna be important, but that could be just my imagination (hopes and wishes, since even if i think he is a prik and an A-hole, he is one of my favorite charactes since he is a total bad ass)
Or his face is hidden because the embarrising thing Ivanakov has on him is that Crocodile was a Woman originally. Not my idea, but I theory I've seen elsewhere.

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Mr. 1 is weak acording to New World standards, a crocodile is stong like wb commander so to put it simply.... they aren't stong at all
Yeah since the top three commanders are easily near admiral level. It's no good to badmouth something without facts supporting your wild theories. Daz Bones was on Level 4 "Blazing Hell", so who's weak here? Only supernova threat(100mil berry) pirates are imprisoned higher than this.

Besides Squardo, we still have not seen anybody from the NW, excluding WBs, who's shown real power in this war.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Do you think crocodile was a villan from begining(like flamingo) or he changed because some event in his life(like Moria(all of his old crew died in the NW)?

[mod=Gecko]Prefixed thread[/mod]
Crocodile was a pirate so he certainly was not "good" from the start. He might have been less twisted and have a different path from his current one but he certainly was no more good or bad than what luffy or any current strawhat currently is. Not to say the WG was good though, they have certainly done their part.

Does anyone else think crocodile is severely underrated? That is an impression I get every time I go through this forums. I think he is a lot more powerful than what people give him credit for. Crocodile EASILY trashed luffy the first two times they fought and in the third battle I got the impression crocodile lost due to him not using a few of the techniques he used previously such as turning the entire area into sand (in which case luffy would have died IMHO). He certainly lacks in the strength and speed department but then again that is not where his strength really lies. His strength lies not in direct combat but in his mastery over his very powerful DF which allows him to control sand. Even if he is slow by current standards, his attacks and very destructive and cover very large areas which IMHO more than makes up for his lack of physical capacities. I get the impression luffy would not be as lucky as the last time should he fight crocodile again (he won't be just left for dead for instance or crocodile won't rely more on poison working rather than using his own abilities which I do think he did).

Last edited:

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else think crocodile is severely underrated? That is an impression I get every time I go through this forums. I think he is a lot more powerful than what people give him credit for. Crocodile EASILY trashed luffy the first two times they fought and in the third battle I got the impression crocodile lost due to him not using a few of the techniques he used previously such as turning the entire area into sand (in which case luffy would have died IMHO). He certainly lacks in the strength and speed department but then again that is not where his strength really lies. His strength lies not in direct combat but in his mastery over his very powerful DF which allows him to control sand. Even if he is slow by current standards, his attacks and very destructive and cover very large areas which IMHO more than makes up for his lack of physical capacities. I get the impression luffy would not be as lucky as the last time should he fight crocodile again (he won't be just left for dead for instance or crocodile won't rely more on poison working rather than using his own abilities which I do think he did).

yeah im with you on this one, i also think he is underestimated by everyone, just cz Luffy beat him once does not mean he can do it again (in real life, you might win a fight against a person, and the next day loos to the same person) and he was in the secret floor of impel down, in fact if they fight again, Luffy won't be soked in blood (wich i though was a cheap shot by Oda sensei) and even with gear 2 or 3 he still can't touch a logia, so Croc just have to grave him and drain him dry

firework

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
totally

i love how he's teaming up with luffy in this arc, its awesome seeing enemies help each other.

and i def want more of his past

BetaRuler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They say he was a rookie in the revolutionaries, so I wonder if he has some revolutionary ideals inside him that might make you think he's got some good in him (tho I like him being rotten to the core!).

Some of the revolutionaries seen so far seem to have liberating ideals in them... or am I just thinking of the ones we saw at Impel Down that have liberated themselves of their gender?

Either way the revolutionaries are somehow involved in Crocs past, so he might even tell Luffy more about his dad, if Iva doesn't.

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
From my take on this i understand that crocodile has a huge grudge againset whitebeard. we also know that crocodile once had a dream of becoming the pirate king.

and can you really say that anyone started out as a villian? that goes pretty deep no one tries to be a villin its just how you interpret what you are doing. for example a seriel killer once said. this is how we grew up in africa i developed a love and feeding for it. i knew other people thought what i was doing was wrong. but i didnt feel anything more right in the world. our general perception of evil is differenct every person will have his own unique interpretation of whats good and bad.

oda shows that lots of the characters have deeper feelings and attitudes to most other mangas. i dont think crocodile was a villin from the start. on the basis that is anyone?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd have to agree with you Mushashi; I think somewhere along the way of him wanting to become Pirate King, something happened to him that made him lose his way. Maybe it's to do with Whitebeard and that's why he has such a grudge against him. If we think about it that way then we could say Gecko Moria didn't start out as a villain but his life experiences have pushed him towards a path of taking actions most people would consider evil.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Why do you say they "become villain"? They are all pirates... Moria is not that evil, nor was that good before.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that they are pirates doesn't mean they're evil

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The fact that they are pirates doesn't mean they're evil
Not all pirates are evil but each and every single one of them constantly breaks the law and does as he pleases. They live outside the law and do not take it into consideration when making decisions. The WG isn't that good either but fact is pirates shouldn't be considered good even when they aren't necessarily evil.