Discussion - Crocodile Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Crocodile Discussion Thread

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
This was severely needed, people make out Crocodile to be this strong guy who was nerfed for plot reasons when it's simply because they're buying into his delusion; it's more apparently so when a Logia without Haki actually tries to attack Whitebeard only to get thwarted away like a fly by a measly Luffy (compared to everyone else of course).

Great post!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The only part I don't agree with is the jozu bit to be honest. Juzo isn't a pushover, he is someone who was capable of fighting an admiral on even ground and based on what we saw it was after jozu got distracted due to something happening to WB that aokiji managed to get the better of him. Jozu is probably one, if not the, most physically powerful characters we know. We know he is a haki user because his attack connected with crocodile. We saw his strength when he threw a gigantic iceberg at marineford. Heck, at that time luffy and co still were at the stage of having a tad of trouble with buildings... And this guy lunges at crocodile with what seems to be a haki enhanced named technique and somehow crocodile is able to do stuff after that? When in alabasta he was defeated by luffy's punches? Sure, we can make the case that luffy had greater physical capacity that crocodile and its reasonable that luffy got the better of him once he got past the intangibility... But the issue here is that every single punch luffy threw at alabasta combined is probably less powerful than a single casual jozu punch.

http://www.mangareader.net/103-35241-12/one-piece/chapter-560.html

Sure, crocodile bleed a bit from the attack but he wasn't otherwise visibly affected by it. Of course luffy didn't get retconned to be a big shot and certainly crocodile was not stronger than he was before but that one bit simply does not make sense. A named technique from jozu should realistically have turned crocodile into a bloodstain half a mile away. The alternatives here would be that either jozu hit crocodile with a ridiculously small amount of his strength or that crocodile was able to resist the full might of jozu for more than a hit.

IF we consider how power scales in the manga seem to work neither is reasonable. Jozu is effectively a top tier characters strength wise. If we consider the sambody strawhats as a base the situation is that power ranges in the manga are so wide that someone from jozu's tier and perhaps even weaker could instantly foderize someone who could instantly foderize multiple strawhats crews from sambody. Even now we saw doflamingo easily having the upperhand on sanji, law and luffy, defeating doflamngo has been an insane battle of attrition. With that in mind neither jozu taking it easy on crocodile or crocodile surviving a fully powerred attack from jozu is reasonable at all. Even if everything else we saw from jozu during the war is reasonable.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I wouldn't really consider Jozu to be top tier, he got 1 shotted by Aokiji and incapacitated by Doflamingo which was quite embarrassing. Jozu and Sanji are strong, but I doubt they're powerhouses when compared to Doflamingo or Admirals. I'd expect Sanji to be able to catch an Admiral off-guard as Jozu did Aokiji, but I do see him getting easily 1 shotted should this scenario actually play out. The only threat outside of Whitebeard was Marco, I feel they're overestimated because they're 'Whitebeard' pirates.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't really consider Jozu to be top tier, he got 1 shotted by Aokiji and incapacitated by Doflamingo which was quite embarrassing. Jozu and Sanji are strong, but I doubt they're powerhouses when compared to Doflamingo or Admirals. I'd expect Sanji to be able to catch an Admiral off-guard as Jozu did Aokiji, but I do see him getting easily 1 shotted should this scenario actually play out. The only threat outside of Whitebeard was Marco, I feel they're overestimated because they're 'Whitebeard' pirates.
Jozu was WB's next in command after marco, that alone should speak volumes of his strength. Doflamingo did catch jozu with his strings but you have to consider doflamingo went in when jozu was fighting crocodile and to boot his strings are effectively ridiculous on all accounts. Its not fair to say the doflamingo thing was embarrassing when we have seen how absolute the strings are. It has taken every strong person in dressrosa to even kinda stop the birdcage and that includes an army of super dwarfs, zoro, the colloseum fighters and a freaking admiral. From what I can tell, the strings are effectively indestructible. And jozu didn't get one shotted by aokiji for that matter. The fight between him and aokiji was even until jozu got distracted by marco getting shot with a laser. With that in mind I would think that between doflamingo and jozu it should be jozu who is the more dangerous one.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Jozu was WB's next in command after marco, that alone should speak volumes of his strength. Doflamingo did catch jozu with his strings but you have to consider doflamingo went in when jozu was fighting crocodile and to boot his strings are effectively ridiculous on all accounts. Its not fair to say the doflamingo thing was embarrassing when we have seen how absolute the strings are. It has taken every strong person in dressrosa to even kinda stop the birdcage and that includes an army of super dwarfs, zoro, the colloseum fighters and a freaking admiral. From what I can tell, the strings are effectively indestructible. And jozu didn't get one shotted by aokiji for that matter. The fight between him and aokiji was even until jozu got distracted by marco getting shot with a laser. With that in mind I would think that between doflamingo and jozu it should be jozu who is the more dangerous one.
Within the WB faction I'd agree with this, but the WB pirates in general were completely dwarfed when confronted by Admiral(s). Luffy, Law and Fujitora are the only ones who have not been victims of Doflamingo's parasite which to me implies he's only able to apprehend certain people.

Jozu and Sanji are by no feats weak, but the worst he's done to them is apprehend their ability to move while he's controlled characters one can agree are unequivocally weaker than they are.

Marco at best could just about stop Akainu from getting Luffy momentarily till he got overpowered by Akainu's powers; Jozu being 1 shotted even he lost focus shows how much of a gap there is between them, Doflamingo on the other hand was able to survive.

I think the WB commander's true power lies in the flag they wave, all but Marco may have been strong but even he is not close to Admiral level imo.

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The only threat outside of Whitebeard was Marco, I feel they're overestimated because they're 'Whitebeard' pirates.
:derp I will print it and put it on my fridge. Finally.

Marco is on admirallevel. He has a really haxfruit. He can fly, can enhance his physical abilities thanks to the Zoan + even if he gets hit by haki and gets some damage, thanks to his fruit he should be able to regenerate quite fast. Without seastonehandcuffs i really cant see him go down. Jozu i would put under admiral, but over Vice-Admirallevel.

But back to Crocoboy... e is still underestimated. He can onehit every person if he gets a hold of the person... his hook should still be coated with poison, etc. Just because luffy kicked him away from WB shouldnt mean anything. Heck Luffy did with one bazooka more damage to BB then Ace in his entire fight, does anyone say Ace is a weakling? (Yes I :D)

In the other thread everyone was like: "Jeah Ace at Marineford was weakened because of the seastonecuffs and um... the prison... what about croc? He was longer in impel down then Ace, still was going to the war and fought on par with the strongest there.

Also a very often argument for Ace strength is: Van Auger did compliment his fighting skills. And by Croc? Doflamingo complimented croc and even brought up an alliance between them. So going by the actual feets Croc and Ace showed-->

Croc over Ace.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Within the WB faction I'd agree with this, but the WB pirates in general were completely dwarfed when confronted by Admiral(s). Luffy, Law and Fujitora are the only ones who have not been victims of Doflamingo's parasite which to me implies he's only able to apprehend certain people.

Jozu and Sanji are by no feats weak, but the worst he's done to them is apprehend their ability to move while he's controlled characters one can agree are unequivocally weaker than they are.

Marco at best could just about stop Akainu from getting Luffy momentarily till he got overpowered by Akainu's powers; Jozu being 1 shotted even he lost focus shows how much of a gap there is between them, Doflamingo on the other hand was able to survive.

I think the WB commander's true power lies in the flag they wave, all but Marco may have been strong but even he is not close to Admiral level imo.
Well, I didn't say all commanders were at the admiral level. My point was about marco and jozu specifically being at that level (though vista is probably worth a special mention in this regard too). Most of the times we have seen parasite it has been on unsuspecting victims, I am not sure it has worked over people who were directly facing doflamingo. Sanji was trapped though I am not sure that was parasite, it seems more like a regular constraint. I am also not sure if what doflamingo did against jozu was parasite.

You have to remember that marco at that point was well into the war. By that time he had faced a couple of admirals and took a hit from kizaru after he got the kairoseki cuffs on him. By the start of the war marco even managed to outright overpower kizaru.

As for jozu, he was unfortunate enough to fight someone who has an ability which would be that effective against just about anyone if it connects. He was frozen solid very quickly, thats an instant loss no matter who you are. WB did manage to defend but he wasn't caught off guard. Its not like aokiji managed to freeze jozu when jozu was paying attention to him. Of course, it was aokiji's win but not necessarily the indication of how exactly their strengths compare. Safe for that last part jozu managed to keep aokiji at bay which is what should be more significant here.

I don't think its just a flag. The WB pirates fought a long battle against an enemy who tooks its time preparing the stage to fight them. The marines had every advantage during the war.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, some of the arguments are fine, but others, not so much. Crocodile is still very much an underestimated character and there is a difference between what he showed in Alabasta and what he showed in Marineford.

First things first, Luffy countering Crocodile is being greatly exaggerated for no real reason. Luffy intercepted an attack that wasn't meant for him. And he did it in Gear 2nd no less. According to buddy's logic, if Crocodile were still at his level in Alabasta, that probably should have done a lot more damage to Crocodile's arm considering the fact that Luffy had gained a significant amount of power since then and, as I already mentioned, was also in Gear 2nd. As an aside, I'd also like to point out that Luffy, despite being considered "an ant" power wise, throughout the war, managed to dodge Mihawk's sword, point blank, without Gear 2nd. Then continued outwit him by continuously throwing Buggy at him. Yet, I'm not seeing any demotions toward Mihawk even though he was clearly focused on taking Luffy out. Remember, he stated he wouldn't hold back either.

While none of Crocodile's fights were fully shown, it's the mere fact that he was keeping up with these high level opponents. In all of his appearances, he was never tired nor struggling. He clashed with several of high caliber opponents, never looking any worse for wear after leaving them. Compare this to Luffy, who was the obvious newcomer in all of this and greatly outmatched majority of the time, despite all of his growth throughout the series. The only time he got damaged during that entire war was when Jozu used a haki infused Brilliant Punk. Speaking of which, Jozu was clearly above Alabasta level Luffy in strength and power. As kkck said, it's highly likely that every single punch Luffy landed on Crocodile was weaker as a whole compared to Jozu's Brilliant Punk.

The Luffy retcon argument doesn't make sense. We've seen him grow throughout the series and we saw where he stood powerwise at that time. Nevermind the fact that it was clearly stated that Luffy was running on will power and Iva's vigor hormones through out the war. Crocodile, on the other hand, didn't get that much attention.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I think everyone is taking it too serious. Luffy defeating Crocodile doesn't come even close to the things that happened on Naruto or Bleach.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Compared to other Logias, Crocodile is not that impressive except we put Smoker in the equation; but Crocodile too may have acquired Haki especially now that he's in the New World.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
He was at the new world before though. At least that is the implication so far.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
wasnt there a theory too where he was wbs second division commander? :p

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

BetaRuler

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I starting to think after reading this thread I just want to say... from here on... ALL characters power levels in the WB war just shouldn't count!

Luffy = Still recovering from recent poisoning and on a hyper drug to keep himself even moving. His feats were many but all of them surely straining, he was by no means able to give this war his 100%.
Crocodile = Been imprisoned for ages, couldn't be bothered to do anything after his defeat against Luffy, so he shouldn't be any stronger than he was before. His feats not an amazingly long list, but he never exactly strained himself. Nowhere near 100% from him.

Then again hardly any other characters gave away much either.
Among the Shichibukai, only Moria, Crocodile, Jimbei and Blackbeard took any damage. The rest didn't even break a sweat. Croc would have gone completely unhurt if not for Jozu.
Akainu was the only admiral to really get hurt, Aokiji comes 2nd with a bleeding lip.
Jozu connected quite a few strong hits, he didn't have much of a "fight" with Aokiji, he shoulder barged Aokiji, giving him a bleeding lip. Nothing else was seen until he got frozen up. You can't say much if anything happened in between related to a fight between them. Making it even harder and even more vague to gauge out any sense of power levels from Jozu.
Even if you say people like Mihawke didn't hold back, his so called attacks still come across as 'not even trying',

Id sooner attempt to build a theory around what if Crocodile had somehow accepted Doflamingo's offer, the list of fighters capable of taking Crocodile down in the story RIGHT now could definitely help us shape up some 'what if' power levels.
Say Zoro vs Crocodile now? Or Law? Could they handle him? We certainly can't expect Luffy to defeat Crocodile AND Doflamingo at this moment, it'd be a bit too crazy, even if he's grown many times stronger since Alabasta, defeating Doflamingo alone is taking everything he's got right now. Law has practically kamikaze'd himself, Zorro + Cavendish might have been needed to have taken Crocodile down, or to at least keep him at bay. But could either of them straight up beat him? Of course Sabo or Fuji could, but Sabo's vs Jesus and Fuji's just spectating. Zorro vs a shichibukai (not mihawke) would make for an interesting development in itself, how far have the straw hats really come if Zorro could 1v1 a shichibukai (or ex shichibukai technically, but still holds quite a highly regarded reputation)?

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Crocodile's level was adjusted to meet the needs of the plot, hence the sharp contradictions in showings. It was inevitable with the seeping power inflation that has hit One Piece. Luffy seems to be on par with the Croc we saw during the Marineford War based on Luffy's current feats.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Crocodile's level was adjusted to meet the needs of the plot, hence the sharp contradictions in showings. It was inevitable with the seeping power inflation that has hit One Piece. Luffy seems to be on par with the Croc we saw during the Marineford War based on Luffy's current feats.
Interesting you pointed that out. Until the Marineford arc there wasn't anything that suggested the Admirals or Shichibukai were so much stronger than Luffy.

There are some examples of that: Crocodile and Moriah were defeated (it was only later that we were informed Moriah wasn't on par with the rest of the Shichibukai), the Strawhats destroyed one Pacifista that was said to be as strong as Kuma, and even against Kuma or Kizaru the Strawhats were very worn out. The only legitimate moment the crew was trashed out was against Aokiji, but it was nowhere close to the power an Admiral has now, being capable of taking down dozens of super rookie crews like the Strawhats on their own.

The Pacifista case is very specific, since we learned after the time-skip that an experienced pirate should be able to one-shot them. So comparing a Pacifista to the real Kuma look silly now. Another case was Blackbeard victory over Ace. We have seen a brief struggle beetween Blackbeard and Luffy in Impel Down, and the first one didn't appeared to be on another level in Impel Down, in fact his crew was defeated by Magellan. Despite that, Ace was later implied to be a top-tier of the world.

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Adjusted? He got defeated by a pre-time skip Luffy once he found an effective way to outmanoeuvre his intangibility. He didn't even need Gear 2 or 3 which he used to defeat Lucci & Gecko Moriah (with explicit power boost) and even with this much progress in his powers was unable to touch a Pacifista. Crocodile wasn't adjusted, he's just not as strong as other Warlords or stronger than supernova. He didn't even possess, Haki yet he tried to attack Whitebeard, he's a deluded character with an inflated ego that's alluring.

Doflamingo even suggested he be his henchman which reflects poorly on him and rightly so even if it's just a joke. He's just not as strong as characters Luffy progressed on to fight after him. This is the same Crocodile who went to the New World before encountering Luffy and he got thrashed. It would be like Luffy going to the New World around the time he met Crocodile, he'd easily be killed. There's very little basis to rate Crocodile so highly, after the 2 year time-skip I'm sure he's developed the necessary skills to survive. The only thing Crocodile has going for him is that he's a Logia, he's knowledgeable and has a superiority complex.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Interesting you pointed that out. Until the Marineford arc there wasn't anything that suggested the Admirals or Shichibukai were so much stronger than Luffy.

There are some examples of that: Crocodile and Moriah were defeated (it was only later that we were informed Moriah wasn't on par with the rest of the Shichibukai), the Strawhats destroyed one Pacifista that was said to be as strong as Kuma, and even against Kuma or Kizaru the Strawhats were very worn out. The only legitimate moment the crew was trashed out was against Aokiji, but it was nowhere close to the power an Admiral has now, being capable of taking down dozens of super rookie crews like the Strawhats on their own.

The Pacifista case is very specific, since we learned after the time-skip that an experienced pirate should be able to one-shot them. So comparing a Pacifista to the real Kuma look silly now. Another case was Blackbeard victory over Ace. We have seen a brief struggle beetween Blackbeard and Luffy in Impel Down, and the first one didn't appeared to be on another level in Impel Down, in fact his crew was defeated by Magellan. Despite that, Ace was later implied to be a top-tier of the world.
I would argue there was plenty of stuff to suggest how much stronger those folk were than luffy.

Going from the beginning:

Zoro vs mihawk was an overwhelming victory for mihawk. And even then mihawk was said to have defeated a pirate armada of 50 ships by himself. Of course, krieg's army wasn't strong but this is already enough to suggest that mere men were in some cases greater than entire massive armies.

Aokiji vs monster trio. They got wrecked. And back then aokiji did display power similar to what he did during the war. He froze the entire ocean between the islands they were at so that the old man could cross.

Shanks vs WB.First time haki was hinted at and we got to see their clash splitting the heavens.

Ace vs BB. The collateral damage from their fight was basically an island.

Luffy stopping his crew from confronting garp. Then we saw garp throwing an iron ball the size of several battleships at them.

Then SA. A single pacifista was almost as strong as the entire strawhat crew.None of the strawhats could do a thing to defend from kizaru. If anything, none of the rookies he faced were a match at all. Luffy could not do a thing to sentoumaru...

Even by the time luffy met moria it was easy to tell neither him or crocodile were on the level with the other shichibukai. By then we knew mihawk, who in all fairness is an endgame character, was at some point a rival to shanks and we knew the notion of the strawhats standing up to him was ridiculous.

Granted that being able to tell the admirals were so powerful that they would foderize people who would foderize 100 pre time skip strawhat crews would be complicated but by the time the strawhats met moria we already had plenty of indication that the strawhats did not stand a chance against certain folk.

On that note, I don't think ace was necessarily implied to be top tier when it comes to his strength. He was without a doubt powerful but I doubt he was much different from luffy when the timeskip started. And we have seen that even now luffy is nowhere near top tier. Strong, yes, but he has been clearly not a match for doflamingo and an admiral would probably wreck him.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Adjusted? He got defeated by a pre-time skip Luffy once he found an effective way to outmanoeuvre his intangibility. He didn't even need Gear 2 or 3 which he used to defeat Lucci & Gecko Moriah (with explicit power boost) and even with this much progress in his powers was unable to touch a Pacifista. Crocodile wasn't adjusted, he's just not as strong as other Warlords or stronger than supernova. He didn't even possess, Haki yet he tried to attack Whitebeard, he's a deluded character with an inflated ego that's alluring.

Doflamingo even suggested he be his henchman which reflects poorly on him and rightly so even if it's just a joke. He's just not as strong as characters Luffy progressed on to fight after him. This is the same Crocodile who went to the New World before encountering Luffy and he got thrashed. It would be like Luffy going to the New World around the time he met Crocodile, he'd easily be killed. There's very little basis to rate Crocodile so highly, after the 2 year time-skip I'm sure he's developed the necessary skills to survive. The only thing Crocodile has going for him is that he's a Logia, he's knowledgeable and has a superiority complex.
Rather than getting adjusted to me it makes a tad more sense that crocodile was sort of dumbed down when he faced luffy at alabasta. Basically, it was the first two battles with luffy that actually represent their difference in strength. Luffy had a chance to learn crocodile's moves and for plot reasons was able to continue fighting even after he was almost mummified.

As far as doflamingo offering crocodile a chance to be his henchmen, I am not sure that is an insult. Doflamingo did not even allow bellamy to be his henchman and the guy turned out to be respectably powerful in the end. In the end crocodile remains one of the more accomplished DF users we have seen even if his physical capacity is not top notch. His attacks conveniently do not need physical strength and would work the same on a toddler and on a shichibukai since he simply sucks water out.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I would argue there was plenty of stuff to suggest how much stronger those folk were than luffy.
We do learn that some characters were stronger than Luffy, with Crocodile being one of them, but it never appeared that Luffy didn't stand a chance as a super rookie does now.

The range of Aokiji ability was not different from Crocodile or Enel, overall it had more to do with his freezing power. The way things are now, Aokiji would not need his Devil Fruit to defeat the Strawhats, as his fingers has many times more physical strength than Zoro swords.

While Garp tossing the cannon ball is impressive, It's hard to measure someone strength based in physical feats, as characters do crazy stuff all the time, like beating Sea Kings. And was it really out of the reach after the fight with Oars and Moriah?

Speaking of Moriah, he was confident Oars could match Kaido. If the Strawhats managed to incapacitate Oars without Luffy, unless Moriah's plan was to make an army of Oars clones, it's a huge miscalculation.

Let's say Luffy power was 10 pre-timeskip, if you think of an Admiral or Shichibukai as a 20 most things make sense before the Marineford arc. An Admiral should be strong enough to take down some super rookies, Luffy defeating Crocodile would not be impossible and Moriah thinking of using Oars against Kaido would not be completely absurd. But during the Marineford arc their power jumped to a 100.

Regarding Ace, based on what we were informed about him he should be a top tier in the world. He was quite famous, fought evenly with Jinbe many times, etc. It's just that's not what it looks like when he fought with Blackbeard.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States

Honestly, I blinked when I saw your response. It's been a while since I've been forced to correct such an uninformed poster.

- Aokiji effortlessly defeated both Robin and Luffy and tanked simultaneous attacks from the Monster Trio.
- Kizaru effortlessly defeated several Supernovas and sent the entire Strawhat crew into a panic after Luffy punched a Tenryoubito.
- Mihawk is confirmed to be superior to any opponent Zoro faced throughout Part I.
- Crocodile defeated Luffy thrice.
- Smoker had little trouble with Luffy prior to the timeskip
- Enel defeated the entire crew and gave Luffy a run for his money.
- Jinbei fought Ace to a draw.

There were plenty of instances where characters were stated/shown/whatever to be much stronger than Luffy.

Their full-power was never expressed though because there was no need for it. In fact, Oda had to invent excuses for letting the Strawhats get away. Mihawk let Zoro go so Zoro could get stronger for a potential rematch. Rayleigh and Kuma were used to whisk the Strawhats away from Kizaru's grasp. Aokiji had conflicting feelings on what to do with Robin, and had little interest in dealing with the other Strawhats. So and so forth.

Feats aren't consistent, however, which is expected with a long running series like One Piece. Crocodile, for example, went from having trouble with Luffy in his third fight during the Alabasta Arc to shrugging off hits from top-tier fighters (e.g. Doflamingo) during the Marineford War Arc.

When were Pacifistas stated to be equal to Kuma?

Croc vs. Luffy occurred in 3 rounds. What were the results?

• Round 1: Croc one-shots Luffy.
  • Round 2: Luffy gets a few hits in before he gets one-shotted. Again.
  • Round 3: Croc is unconscious. Luff, on the other hand, is dying.

Croc had the upperhand against Luffy in all 3 fights. Luffy would probably win the rematch now because he knows how to beat Croc, but if you were to erase that knowledge, then Croc would win most fights.

Oda probably hadn't thought of Gear 2 and 3 when Luffy fought Croc. Same thing for Haki.

Who told you Crocodile can't use Haki? Granted, he has no confirmed usages of Haki, but Haki-less? Every high/top-tier at this point is confirmed to have Haki. Chances are good Croc has it too at this point in the story.

An example of inconsistent powerscaling is Smoker too. Smoker sent Luffy and crew fleeing whenever he stumbled upon them. He even stalemated Ace in Alabasta. What happened since then? Law had little trouble defeating him, and Luffy think he can at least stalemate Smoker in a fight. You'd think Smoker would be top-tier by now, but he's not. Far from it in fact.