Info - D.Gray-man Reverse Novels Info & Discussion | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info D.Gray-man Reverse Novels Info & Discussion

MSofAofCOCA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
so....
you know how there is the Host personality and then the Noah personality?
....What if, Mana is/was a Noah, but then suddenly the Noah personality decided to withdraw? Like, leave Mana in 'white form'? That would explain how he suddenly 'woke up old'. He says he's seventeen; so at 17 he became a noah, who shoved back the 'Mana' conscience (like Wisely is now a Noah, no longer the Hobo, lol) and then suddenly decided to let go (or maybe it was triggered by something, idk). This would explain why he thinks he's seventeen and can't remember his brother. or something. i dunno. all i can do is think up theories =3

deleted

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Well, from what I could find on the link below, the name Allen seems to come from the celtic word "al" meaning rock. But it's an English name so I don't think that it has that much to do with the Bulgarian meaning of it. Also, wasn't it the name of Mana's dog? Why would he call his dog 'red' ?

http://www.vorname.com/name,Allen.html (all in German ^^;)

I was just thinking: So Mana already was an Akuma before Allen brought his soul back on that graveyard? And he was actually only a teenager?
I've got my little theories about some of the things in this story.

1) Mana and Neah maybe had still their family. Maybe it was related with the Earl, which would explain many of the similarities between Mana and the Earl. Mana could have died at some point and someone brought him back to life (in this case I would tend to say it could have been his father, looking at how he seemingly aged over night). Neah got angry because of that and wanted to destroy the Earl.

2) Mana was one of Marian's first modified Akuma, since he appears often and even seems to protect Mana from Allen. But something didn't go right and he got somewhat nuts. It could have been a request from Neah to Cross.

But what makes me wonder are two things: Can Adam bring back the dead twice? And why would Mana simply die because of an accident with a carriage, if he really was an Akuma?

Very strange....... :smugbunny

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, from what I could find on the link below, the name Allen seems to come from the celtic word "al" meaning rock. But it's an English name so I don't think that it has that much to do with the Bulgarian meaning of it. Also, wasn't it the name of Mana's dog? Why would he call his dog 'red' ?

http://www.vorname.com/name,Allen.html (all in German ^^;)

I was just thinking: So Mana already was an Akuma before Allen brought his soul back on that graveyard? And he was actually only a teenager?
I've got my little theories about some of the things in this story.

1) Mana and Neah maybe had still their family. Maybe it was related with the Earl, which would explain many of the similarities between Mana and the Earl. Mana could have died at some point and someone brought him back to life (in this case I would tend to say it could have been his father, looking at how he seemingly aged over night). Neah got angry because of that and wanted to destroy the Earl.

2) Mana was one of Marian's first modified Akuma, since he appears often and even seems to protect Mana from Allen. But something didn't go right and he got somewhat nuts. It could have been a request from Neah to Cross.

But what makes me wonder are two things: Can Adam bring back the dead twice? And why would Mana simply die because of an accident with a carriage, if he really was an Akuma?

Very strange....... :smugbunny
LONG POST IS LONG, BUT PLEASE READ!! lol...

well, the dog has spots....and in some color pics i've seen them to be colored a redish orange color. but i don't know if that's canon.
Actually, we don't know whether or not Mana is an Akuma or Noah or even a 3rd option ( i actually thought that the 'glass' was Allen's cross shooting sparks). We can theorize, but actually neither Noah/ Akuma is supported.
-if Akuma, that means ppl can be brought back twice. that means he may be modified (ooooooh! what if Earl killed Mana when 14th became noah to get rid of witnesses, but then saw how sad 14th was, and brought him back, and that made 14th even more angry! I'd think something like that might actually be tragic enough to fit: the Earl misstook 14th's feelings of sadness-yet-understanding for loneliness. I think it's appropriate lol....
-if Noah, how come he was never mentioned? does he suppress his noah successfully and hence cannot be tracked??
Geez. at first i thought Mana was yet another x-tra Noah, but now i'm leaning towards the Akuma theory more! way to go, me, way to go.

Was it ever stated that Mana died b/c of a horse carriage? i know the spoilers for REverse 3 says that he nearly got hit by one, but was pulled away in time by allen. In the anime, Mana suddenly started coughing and died. is that canon??

I don't think 'allen' means anything. I pretty much set on the fact that Hoshino probably chose it b/c it sounds british: Allen Walker. (it totally does though xD)

another question: now that Reverse 3 provides back story to Allen and Mana that has not been revealed in the manga, do you think we will see reverse 3 scenes in the manga, should the plot require allen to reveal them? Like, at the end of spoiler, it suggests that allen understood that Mana is/went/was a bit batty, and it was infact allen who pretended to be called Allen to make Mana feel better (when supposedly Mana stopped distinguishing the two). In the manga, allen says that he was named by Mana, not that he took the name up himself to appease Mana. So, do you think Hoshino will make in-manga references to the novel since they reveal such huge plot points?? B/c i don't think/remember if she did that for the other novels, only that they were animated later on....

ruinedshadows

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Was it ever stated that Mana died b/c of a horse carriage? i know the spoilers for REverse 3 says that he nearly got hit by one, but was pulled away in time by allen. In the anime, Mana suddenly started coughing and died. is that canon??
I very, very highly doubt that Mana was killed by a carriage; I think it was just something thought up by the people working on the anime and nothing more.

I think it'd make more sense if died by way of assassination or something, imo. :/ (Say, weren't Tyki and a few other Noah sent out to delete people "associated with a certain individual"? I was rereading something in volume 6 where Tyki was sent out on his mission to kill Allen and it said that. Maybe they've been trying to kill off all of the 14th's accomplices/the third side? for a long while now, and Mana was one of their first victims??)

I don't think 'allen' means anything. I pretty much set on the fact that Hoshino probably chose it b/c it sounds british: Allen Walker. (it totally does though xD)
Someone on this site came up with a brilliant theory that Allen's name was a play on words - "Allen Walker"/"A Lone Walker". I don't know if it's canon or not, but I love it. :D

another question: now that Reverse 3 provides back story to Allen and Mana that has not been revealed in the manga, do you think we will see reverse 3 scenes in the manga, should the plot require allen to reveal them? Like, at the end of spoiler, it suggests that allen understood that Mana is/went/was a bit batty, and it was infact allen who pretended to be called Allen to make Mana feel better (when supposedly Mana stopped distinguishing the two). In the manga, allen says that he was named by Mana, not that he took the name up himself to appease Mana. So, do you think Hoshino will make in-manga references to the novel since they reveal such huge plot points?? B/c i don't think/remember if she did that for the other novels, only that they were animated later on....
Wasn't Bak originally from the Reverse Novels and then they were incorporated into the story? They must be some measure of canon, either way.

ketorin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wasn't Bak originally from the Reverse Novels and then they were incorporated into the story? They must be some measure of canon, either way.
Yeah he was, Hoshino liked him so much that she added him to the manga. (Can't remember where I read that though)

I really do think most of this back story is canon though. Most of the other stories in the novels have just been kind of side adventures but this one is very major to the story line, so I don't think Hoshino would have let her do this unless it was in some way canon. And it really does seem like it could be the real past of his.

Last edited:

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It's crazy!
How can Hoshino think in such details!? Allen meaning red in some world language and calling him like that because of his red arm?
If that's true then she's the most clever!!

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Omg~!! thank you for the pic. and link to the summary~!!
The story of Allen made me cry, poor Allen :'(

Maybe 14th made Mana's body age faster so the Earl wouldn't find him? (epic fail, if so) Daaaaamn I want to see/read the whole thing xD

TitaniumChloride

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Maybe 14th made Mana's body age faster so the Earl wouldn't find him? (epic fail, if so) Daaaaamn I want to see/read the whole thing xD
The thing is, Wisely had mentioned that it took him 35 years to awaken, which was when the 14th killed him. Mana found Allen 5/6 years ago, so it seems more like Mana's memories are either looping or stuck at that time when his brother was killed.

Last edited:

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Oh yeah forgot about that xD
Then...maybe Mana was in a coma? and woke up after so many years?

ca12nag3

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
To go on about Allens name, Its also possible Hoshino used every meaning in every language to amplify the character.

If Allen means red in some languages she might have used that for the arm >
The scottish meaning of Rock could also be added to his name.

Peter the first deciple of Christ was named Peter > the rock. So perhaps she bend around naming him peter by using the name Allen wich also means rock. ^^
Id call that clever.

Tho not everyone hangs onto this qualification < within christianity Christ himself is seen as THE rock.

Christ has many names, the lamb, the rock, the morningstar etc etc. So in qualification he might be the "savior"

Last edited:

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
that or........ she just used a british name.
Actually, i've recently began thinking that when she started making DGM she didn't plan the whole story ahead of time, that's why some plot if out of the blue - it developed along the way. If you go back and reread some of the earlier chapters, you only get a 'war time' like vibe, where everything is traced back to war psychology. Now, we also have family themes, gray area between good and bad, deeper religion ect.

" Aly'i' " does mean red in Russian, but that seems more of a coincidence rather than Allen being named for his red arm (heck, it's black now, and hasn't Reverse3 establish that he himself took on the dogs name??) (kind of like Tite Kubo didn't know 'Luffy' was a sea term until a fan pointed it out)

I think Mana fell into a coma or blank state or something when the 14th died. He continued aging, but didn't notice it (he was waaaaaaaaay out of it) and now for what ever reason he 'woke up' and can't remember the past 35 years, only up till the point he went into this 'coma' thing. I wonder if
Cosimo might have been a broker... and why didn't the Earl directly kill Mana?
On that note, how did Mana die?? in the anime, he keels over from some....cough/lung disease or something...... i can't remember seeing that in the manga...
ugh. there was something else, but i forgot again =.='

ca12nag3

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
wernt there cart wheels behind Mana? or coatch? i cant remember either.

There is however 1 thing that stands in the way, Allen saw Manas death, Manas grave, and talked to the Akuma-Mana when he called him back, the earl was there. So any insinuation that the earl = mana hits a brick wall there. And going around it saying manas bad part or w/e came out is only adding content to bend around the fact that the 2 are not the same person.

The 35 year old coma? Well Cross said he thought he went nuts, so perhaps thats it Mana went nuts after the 14ths death and simply doesnt recall much of it.

tgirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
To go on about Allens name, Its also possible Hoshino used every meaning in every language to amplify the character.

If Allen means red in some languages she might have used that for the arm >
The scottish meaning of Rock could also be added to his name.

Peter the first deciple of Christ was named Peter > the rock. So perhaps she bend around naming him peter by using the name Allen wich also means rock. ^^
Id call that clever.

Tho not everyone hangs onto this qualification < within christianity Christ himself is seen as THE rock.

Christ has many names, the lamb, the rock, the morningstar etc etc. So in qualification he might be the "savior"
But now that "Nea" is known, I thought Hoshino is going to find a way to connect Nea's name to Allen's? Because, "Allen" is a hidden anagram of "Nea". (Clever of itself.) Allen would be "Nea II".

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never notice that before. If that is true, Hoshino is really clever indeed. Good eye! :thumbs

tgirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
^ Thanks, but I'm not the first to notice this. ^__^ So, I don't really deserve any credit on this observation. But, to spread this observation out to you guys is why I'm here so there. ;)

(Mission accomplished)

luna_wolf

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
England
im so greatfull to everybody who has posted up pictures and summerys! <3
this has made me love allen even more. damn i think i can feel my inner fangirl rising >_>

has anyone ever bought anything from yesasia.com?
because they are selling the novels there
http://www.yesasia.com/us/d-gray-man-reverse-3/1023807668-0-0-0-en/info.html
i was thinking of buying it, but as of yet i do not trust the website XD

haha i love how hoshinos editors had to make her take out alot of the spoilers XD

you know i wonder if the "shatering glass" was allens inocence breaking a barier thingy that hid mana from the earl, possibly put there by cross.
its just a thought, its hard to make guesses when i cant read the original script.
it would also explain why cross was so angry with allen/red

Last edited:

Aracely

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
has anyone ever bought anything from yesasia.com?
because they are selling the novels there
http://www.yesasia.com/us/d-gray-man-reverse-3/1023807668-0-0-0-en/info.html
I've bought things from YesAsia several times, without any problems. They seem reliable.

you know i wonder if the "shatering glass" was allens inocence breaking a barier thingy that hid mana from the earl, possibly put there by cross.
its just a thought, its hard to make guesses when i cant read the original script.
it would also explain why cross was so angry with allen/red
That's a great theory! Though I wonder if maybe Nea might be a more likely choice for putting up a barrier, since if it was Cross, Cross could have just put up a new barrier in its place. (Well, maybe he did. If there was a barrier, while it was broken, the Earl did show up...)

greystars

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Okay, uhm, all I want to ask is:
Allen knew about the Earl and everything when he was young? Cos, well, he say the Akuma in the circus tent, and i think I read that Mana told him about the Earl trying to track he and the 14th down.

Oh, and, didn't Mana teach Allen the piano score? How could he when he was mentally unstable?

Last edited: