Shounen - Dead Rock by Hiro Mashima | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Dead Rock by Hiro Mashima

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Dead Rock
by Hiro Mashima
Serialised on 6 July 2023 in Monthly Shonen Magazine (Kodansha)
*mentioned to be a short-term serialisation

" The dark fantasy manga's story centers on Dead Rock, a Demon King training institution towering in the depths of the demon world. To knock down the door of Dead Rock, a young demon named Yakuto takes on the challenge of the harsh entrance examination. " - source ANN

Steven

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Lets see if this stays active.

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, can't wait until the next one, this being a monthly manga is going to be murder on us for waiting

Fairy Tail, Edens Zero, Gate of Nightmares, another video game, and now Dead Rock, I wonder if Mashima even sleeps

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
If all is like last time, we should be getting spoilers soon

I have a feeling this chapter will be a strong world building one to give us Yakuto's goals into light and some of his reasons as well if any of his classmates decided to join forces with him. Hien may feel indebted to him alongside Hanni and Freyr seems to just have an obsession with power. Really Mikoto (who seems to be set up as the love-interest) and Reisen are the real outlyers here but I imagine they'll be tempted to help out along with the rest. I see no reason for the whole class to not want to form an alliance. Chako I feel is set up to be the Mascot but I expect a battle form for him like Lily from Fairy Tail

Bevel though seems to be a massive tease for things to come since they just went "MIA", like they'll make a return to cause trouble

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
If all is like last time, we should be getting spoilers soon

I have a feeling this chapter will be a strong world building one to give us Yakuto's goals into light and some of his reasons as well if any of his classmates decided to join forces with him. Hien may feel indebted to him alongside Hanni and Freyr seems to just have an obsession with power. Really Mikoto (who seems to be set up as the love-interest) and Reisen are the real outlyers here but I imagine they'll be tempted to help out along with the rest. I see no reason for the whole class to not want to form an alliance. Chako I feel is set up to be the Mascot but I expect a battle form for him like Lily from Fairy Tail

Bevel though seems to be a massive tease for things to come since they just went "MIA", like they'll make a return to cause trouble
I actually think that Freyr might be the love interest. She seems to like him for his personality, while Mikoto seems more interested in his roots

Mashima also paired them up in his first Dead Rock twitter art (alongside the creatures), which doesn't really confirm anything, but could hint at him liking them together

Last edited:

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually think that Freyr might be the love interest. She seems to like him for his personality, while Mikoto seems more interested in his roots

Mashima also paired them up in his first Dead Rock twitter art (alongside the creatures), which doesn't really confirm anything, but could hint at him liking them together

Either way it's still too early to tell aside from Yakuto's initial attraction to Mikoto, Mikoto's interest in Yakuto, and Freyr's love for anything powerful

Still I feel chapter 2 will be a big world building chapter for us to understand where Mashima is going with this series

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Here are the RAWs, best I can do

Last edited:

Steven

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Already fake deaths?Are you for real?

Well,i need translations.

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
Already fake deaths?Are you for real?

Well,i need translations.
Well they may not be fake, Mikoto being a Necromancer opens a whole new level with what you can do with a deceased character. Reisen might be an Orochi/Zombie now and Maxwell seems to be a Zombie under Mikoto's control now
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Note the Fox Girl here Mashima focuses on, odds are she will be important in the future

Steven

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I haven't even read a single chapter about this yet
Well,2 chapters and 14 posts...i mean...yeah.Thats what i call niché.Even more as EZ

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well,2 chapters and 14 posts...i mean...yeah.Thats what i call niché.Even more as EZ
Well it only just started and it's a monthly serialization, give it time geez

I like the set up so far, and I really hope the chapter gets translated soon so we can learn Yakuto's motivations

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I’m the only one who thinks Yakuto’s a reincarnated Acnologia?

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

So Yakuto's true goal is still being kept a secret. I hope it's in line with him being a "bad guy" according to Mashima.

Also, looks like the homeroom teacher (and I guess Reisen, to an extent) has been brought back as a drone, so not really as bad as the fakeouts and universal retcons that happened in his other series imo

Last edited:

Grimzilla32

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m the only one who thinks Yakuto’s a reincarnated Acnologia?
I don't think it's that deep, but imagine if it was, Mashima is one of if not THE fastest Mangaka on record so to pull that off, there's going to be a lot of character overlap with designs that he's gotten a LOT of practice on. Besides Acnologia was quite a unique design for a dragon so I guess he wants to keep it.

Aside from that, we got some great reveals, I was right that Resien is an Orochi/ZOMBIE now (see previous post) and we've gotten his motivation as well. This is shaping up to be interesting so upcoming chapters are going to have to really deliver since it's monthly and giving us time to understand the motives of the whole class is going to take time, time a monthly serialization doesn't really give us

I also stand by what I said, Mashima focused on the Fox-Girl there for a reason so odds are she'll be important soon

Steven

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think it's that deep, but imagine if it was, Mashima is one of if not THE fastest Mangaka on record so to pull that off, there's going to be a lot of character overlap with designs that he's gotten a LOT of practice on. Besides Acnologia was quite a unique design for a dragon so I guess he wants to keep it.

Aside from that, we got some great reveals, I was right that Resien is an Orochi/ZOMBIE now (see previous post) and we've gotten his motivation as well. This is shaping up to be interesting so upcoming chapters are going to have to really deliver since it's monthly and giving us time to understand the motives of the whole class is going to take time, time a monthly serialization doesn't really give us

I also stand by what I said, Mashima focused on the Fox-Girl there for a reason so odds are she'll be important soon
Dude can focus on Yakuto/Acnologia

The Acnologia cameo is dead.Here is clearly more going on.

With translations,good chapter.Using a Lich to controll corpses is fine i guess

Yakutos brown skin,his face and his teeths are looks like Acnologia

Velvet-Demon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Second chapter and Mashima already introduced a plot armor called Mikoto :facepalm

Yep she's going to save the characters as many times as she wants , a severed limb/ a mortal wound no problem necromancy will heal you , cut into several pieces and then you're dead no problem you will become a puppet.

And of course she's not going to die because if she dies then bye mister professor or maybe she will save herself by using her own power on herself who knows.