Hangout - DGM Hang Out Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout DGM Hang Out Thread

Mango-chan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: DGM Hang Out Thread - Part 1

Jump's got a new magazine coming out every other month? Nice. Maybe D.gray-man can switch over to it if Hoshino can't handle SQ in the future.

(goes back to lurking for spoilers)

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Now that I think about it, why is she working on other stuff anyway? She doesn't even manage to do her job, so why accept other jobs? I'd understand the change of pace thing if DGM was a weekly manga, but DGM is more like a quarterly manga nowadays, so yeah...it's not like she's doing her fans a service by creating some designs for an anime or posters or whatever. Not meaning to shit into everybody's cereals, but I don't want to be 50 when DGM's finished.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Now that I think about it, why is she working on other stuff anyway? She doesn't even manage to do her job, so why accept other jobs? I'd understand the change of pace thing if DGM was a weekly manga, but DGM is more like a quarterly manga nowadays, so yeah...it's not like she's doing her fans a service by creating some designs for an anime or posters or whatever. Not meaning to shit into everybody's cereals, but I don't want to be 50 when DGM's finished.
Money.

Niko_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Im happy to see that she is doing a lot of different things... maybe dgm will move to miracle jump :pp

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany

That crossed my mind, but I don't know how much they actually pay in comparison to JumpSQ. Though even if they paid the same, I guess it's much easier to get 10 bucks for some character design than for several pages of a manga that actually require research and effort. Still, it's a shame.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Why would Shueisha take DGM out of a Shounen magazine with higher circulation and put it in a bimonthly "Shounen/Seinen" magazine? There's a track record with DGM moving to SQ from WSJ already and series have moved to other magazines with a different demographic, but I'm not sure what the point would be. Not to mention that just because the magazine comes out every two months doesn't mean she won't still take breaks. As a fan, it doesn't really matter what magazine she's in.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

That crossed my mind, but I don't know how much they actually pay in comparison to JumpSQ. Though even if they paid the same, I guess it's much easier to get 10 bucks for some character design than for several pages of a manga that actually require research and effort. Still, it's a shame.
Maybe a change of pace? New experience? If she's able to continue her already meager output of pages per year and design the characters for an anime, why wouldn't she? It's extra money whether it's more than what Shueisha pays or not.

I think it's tough to get inside an mangaka's head sometimes. I imagine they have a lot of mixed feelings about their work. DGM has been serialized for almost 9 years now. I would understand if she was burnt out on it.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Why would Shueisha take DGM out of a Shounen magazine with higher circulation and put it in a bimonthly "Shounen/Seinen" magazine? There's a track record with DGM moving to SQ from WSJ already and series have moved to other magazines with a different demographic, but I'm not sure what the point would be. Not to mention that just because the magazine comes out every two months doesn't mean she won't still take breaks. As a fan, it doesn't really matter what magazine she's in.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Maybe a change of pace? New experience? If she's able to continue her already meager output of pages per year and design the characters for an anime, why wouldn't she? It's extra money whether it's more than what Shueisha pays or not.

I think it's tough to get inside an mangaka's head sometimes. I imagine they have a lot of mixed feelings about their work. DGM has been serialized for almost 9 years now. I would understand if she was burnt out on it.
Agreed with the first part of the post.

Yeah, but if the extra money exhausts her enough so much that she can't put out a mere amount of 20 pages for several months.....
And well, then just go on hiatus. End it. Because if she's sick of nothing good will come of it. Though I guess it's not easy to part ways with a friend that has accompanied you for so many years. Especially when it's a steady job with a solid source of money. Kinda feels like she's using us (because I actually buy the volumes), but well...Don't know, I have mixed feelings about all of this.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Agreed with the first part of the post.

Yeah, but if the extra money exhausts her enough so much that she can't put out a mere amount of 20 pages for several months.....
And well, then just go on hiatus. End it. Because if she's sick of nothing good will come of it. Though I guess it's not easy to part ways with a friend that has accompanied you for so many years. Especially when it's a steady job with a solid source of money. Kinda feels like she's using us (because I actually buy the volumes), but well...Don't know, I have mixed feelings about all of this.
I'm not that wrapped up in any series. I guess that's what happens when you've read Berserk for so many years. She puts out what she puts out and it seems like it's worth it for Shueisha even at an irregular pace. Making manga is a job, and she obviously saw character design being worth it, in all senses of the word. So I don't know. But it's just a myth that if you move it to another magazine she'll suddenly be regular again, even if it's just 6 chapters a year. Not gonna happen.

tgirl

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Jump's got a new magazine coming out every other month? Nice. Maybe D.gray-man can switch over to it if Hoshino can't handle SQ in the future.

(goes back to lurking for spoilers)
Miracle Jump isn't that new, at this point, since it came out back in 2011. ^_0

As xi0 puts it, what's the point of Hoshino moving DGM to a less circulated (---to me, popular) mag? She will definitely have her breaks still.

To me, I think Hoshino can handle SQ just alright. Even with three deadlines for three different projects on top of DGM. She's an exception that we have to simply accept. She has an actual health condition on her wrist/hand so that pretty much gives her a legit excuse, regardless.

Now that I think about it, why is she working on other stuff anyway? She doesn't even manage to do her job, so why accept other jobs?
I can't really comment on the money thing, because a job's a job. However, from what I've seen over the years, it looks pretty normal for mangakas to do "other projects" while working on their actual work. For example, CLAMP was handling both Tsubasa and XXXHolic, while making the character designs for Code Geass which, ironically, was made by Sunrise. This is why, money may not always be the primary issue. It makes great publicity for the mangakas, who do side things. Other mag sectors/companies see their artwork, like what they see, and commission them to help them out.

(I find this really cute with Hoshino's situation, because she's a shy/private person. :D )

Edit: Oh yeah. I forgot to add... Mangakas have also done numerous small art projects for other companies such as facial tissue, phone cards, candy, etc. You name it. These small projects usually feature their own manga artwork (--- both commissioned and reused). Edit edit: This is a true Japan thing. I don't know about South Korea, but in Taiwan, manhuagas don't really get this kind of publicity since Taiwanese really favor the mangakas (and Japanese visual novelists) over manhuagas.

Last edited:

verduister

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13

^ Yes, lots of mangaka's do stuff on the side but they don't let it affect their main job. That's Googlez_kun's point, I think.

The bitter part of me agrees that she shouldn't take on extra stuff when she can't even manage to release a DGM chapter every month. But I understand she might like a change of pace every now and then.

Last edited:

akirashindou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Oman

si is there going to be a chapter tomorrow or not?

verduister

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13

ぶみ:2013/02/28(木) 21:02:28.06 ID:VnbgLMs4
また休載しかも次いつ載るか未定
I don't know how reliable this is, but ぶみ on 2ch says DGM will be absent again in this month's issue AND it's unknown if it will feature in the next issue.

CrossCrow

Reaction score
Country
Australia

GANBARE HOSHINO SENSEI, I miss your machinations already

shari07

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

I wish next issue will have new chapter OTL.....

I don't know what happen to her but I still happy that she can do many things now..XD

akirashindou

Reaction score
Country
Oman

thank you

tgirl

Reaction score
Country
United States

^ Yes, lots of mangaka's do stuff on the side but they don't let it affect their main job. That's Googlez_kun's point, I think.

The bitter part of me agrees that she shouldn't take on extra stuff when she can't even manage to release a DGM chapter every month. But I understand she might like a change of pace every now and then.
Unless, she does a lot more in one time period than the usual mangaka output. That's why I think this situation is a little different compared to how other mangakas handle it. I understand what Googlez trying to say though. ^_^

And continuing from what you posted from 2ch, we have people questioning Bumi like what's his/her source. Someone speculated that it has something to do with volume #24. Bumi is a 2ch regular so I can understand the poster, who posted:
#74:
乙です

前も本バレだったから信じる
And I like this one, because this person head-desked in frustration...

#78: ソースないのに他所のスレに休載らしいorzとか書き込む奴はなんなんだ
Even if Bumi is a familiar regular there, I'm going to be on the fence for now until the ToC officially comes out. ^_^ Considering the amount of projects that she has done, now I'm extremely curious as to what Miracle Jump's cover is going to look like....

candy

Reaction score
Country
United States

i understand hoshino can be very busy at times but still. everybody gets busy but they still get their jobs done. if they didn't we'd all be in trouble...like no job trouble. i'm a huge fan of DGM but the release schedule is driving me up a wall!!! there are more bi monthly mangas being released more frequently than DGM. i feel bad for hoshino having a wrist problem and all but that's clearly not stopping her from doing character designs (which came out really nice). if this was as weekly series it wouldn't be that bad. miss one week its fine we'll get a chapter the next week, but miss one month or two months in a monthly release and that means we're waiting 3 months for one chapter that's probably going to have anywhere from 20-30 pages and then the next chapter might not even come out the next month and were left waiting. AGAIN. again trying not to bash hoshino here, i have a load of respect for the work she's put into creating such an amazing piece or work as DGM, but she has got to get her priorities straightened out here. if she can do more than one project at a time than go for it, but if she can't than don't do it. go with the work that fans have been following for years and what has earned her credentials. best of luck to you hoshino!

can't wait for a new chapter though. i want to see how the whole thing with (bat shit crazy) earl will go and allen. hopefully some secrets will be revealed. i think were due. here's hoping for a new chapter too.

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
Reaction score
Country
United States

Have her editors considering pumping her full of morphine so that wrist pain isn't a problem?

Wait -- maybe that does explain the wacky plotlines... (whatever you say, the "First Womb" stuff from many chapters back was strange)

She'll do a chapter in her own time. But don't expect to finish this manga in 10 years.

I just wish she tabled everything and worked on something not requiring her wrist for a year. The break would allow her to do something totally different. I think she's also depressed (otherwise she would've let us know there'd be no chapter, or she would've probably worked herself into the ground getting a new chapter out). A break from her normal routine to do something else is a chance for her to see the joy she originally saw in writing DGM.

She also could hire an artist and do the story-writing.

Whatever it is, it's obvious that her current way of doing things isn't successful.

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada

whats the miracle jump crossover?

tgirl

Reaction score
Country
United States

^ Hoshino will do a cover for Miracle Jump. That is all we'll ever know until later when the next Miracle Jump comes out (which is in April*). It might not be DGM related at all, because Miracle Jump does host a couple of one-shots in each of its issues.

(*Miracle correction edit: Oops. Not May. Wasn't thinking. It will come out in April, but would probably be read as the May issue. >.<)

This blog post describes the magazine better in detail: Click
It would make sense if Hoshino did another one-shot and it was featured in this mag. Although, she definitely has left a lot of people drifting in empty space waiting for the next DGM...

On 2ch's Jump SQ thread, people still want source for the confirmation of DGM's "kyuusai" (non-appearance in print), which I'm starting to memorize the word + kanji due to the numerous kyuusai that Hoshino has racked up over the years. (Thanks, Hoshino. You're helping me with my Japanese. =,=) I came across another Japanese blog lamenting over Hoshino's possible kyuusai. Even the popular "The Cursed Priest" blogger is lamenting on the rumor.

As for the spoilers that came out from SQ, so far, just Claymore as far as I can see.

It would be nice if Shueisha put up an official Hoshino news board. ^_^

Edit:
Have her editors considering pumping her full of morphine so that wrist pain isn't a problem?.
I'm not sure morphine would be a great solution to arthritis... o.o;

Last edited: