Does AFO really plan on having Shigaraki be his successor? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Does AFO really plan on having Shigaraki be his successor?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is something that kinda bothers me because it does not particularly fit. AFO has made the point that Shigaraki is his successor but no matter how I look at it Shigaraki being such a thing does not seem too plausible. Of course, the main reason for that is that he does not have AFO. As we all know AFO was dangerous because he could take and give away quirks to add to his own strength. Through combining quirks he becomes immensely powerful, more so than most people with only one quirk could hope to be.

For some context: We just saw AFO and OFA duke it out. We saw a half dead allmight fighting a basically blind AFO. And allmight barely won. While the rest of the top heroes around settled for watching because otherwise they would have gotten in the way. Basically, AFO and OFA were so astoundingly powerful that half dead and at a fraction of their peak they were still much stronger than the number 2 hero at his peak. With that in mind, either AFO and OFA at their peak must have been basically natural disasters that walked around. Meanwhile people like endeavor would in comparison be like card castles.

So now you have shigaraki who is supposedly the inheritor of AFO but.... AFO has never actually said shigaraki is eventually getting AFO. Can he even give it away? What hope of defeating OFA does shigaraki reasonably have? A few years from now when deku grows into the overwhelming power he was handed he is going to see the allmight we have seen look about as harmless as a clawless toothless kitten simply because deku won't walk around being half dead like allmight does. And that does not even consider that deku by default has more power than allmight.

So for AFO's supposed plans with shigaraki to work shigaraki would necessarily need something that allows him to match OFA. Without that a fully realized deku would simply flick his finger at him and shigaraki would instantly die.

With that in mind, to me it would make more sense that shigaraki is but a tool for AFO... And rather AFO at some point intents to make his triumphant return.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Shigaraki was just a tool to destroy All Might psychologically. Making the grandson of All Might's master into a villain and having All Might fight that villain without All Might even knowing it, that's the whole purpose of Shigaraki. I don't see him as a new AFO and never will. I doubt that he will even stay alive until the end of the manga. Once All Might dies Shigaraki is as good as dead. I mean why would the villain, who dreamed to become the evil ruler of everything, let the grandson of his enemy (Nana) continue living when there is no All Might anymore? The tool's purpose would be over and the tool would become useless.

Since the talk between All Might and AFO in Tartarus i doubt AFO's part in the story is done. Laughing at All Might's "You will stay here for the rest of your life!" comment and highlighting the "For the rest of my life, eh..." part makes it clear he has some sort of plan to get out. Plus why would a blind man steal the quirk of Ragdoll which allowed her to see the weaknesses and locations of a 100 people if he can't use it?

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
AFO will be freed one day but I believe he genuinely wants to pass the torch to Shigaraki, we read his thoughts during his last battle with All Might. I don't think it would make sense if he were planning to become the Symbol of Evil again, he is just another type of mentor. It's true that he has been chosen because of his relationship with Nana but what he wants from him doesn't change.

DemonKing888

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe AFO truly wants Shigaraki to become the next AFO. The way he speaks about Shigaraki is that of a lovely teacher which is shocking when we're talking about a crazy mastermind killer here. But he truly seems like he wants Shigaraki to learn and grow the same way Allmight Want's Deku to grow.

AFO speaks about his mortality and has said that he wish he could of found a super healing quirk before he's injuries but says that such a quirk is pointless to him now because of his body. He knows that he will not live forever which is why he's chosen a successor who could take on the role of AFO.
http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/59/22

He wants Shigaraki to be more then just a pawn he wants him to be a symbol of fear, but why?
http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/90/10
http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/94/16

I use to think that maybe AFO may want to steal Shigaraki's body so that he could live forever but why teach him? That doesn't make much sense, Also in his fight vs Jeanist AFO said "Your Quirk does not suit Tomura's personality"
http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/89/12
Why say this line at all if he didn't plan on giving Shigaraki more powers.

He seems like he's truly looking to make Shigaraki more powerful not just mentality but physically as well.

But how will Shigaraki get AFO's power if he's locked up now. I believe I know how.
http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/59/22
That doctor who was taking care of AFO in the shadows, I don't remember which chapter but this doctor was also responsible with helping AFO make Noumus. We don't know what this dude looks like let but he has to know a lot about how AFO works and he has to also have AFO's DNA.

The reason why AFO hasn't given Shigaraki's his power Yet is simple..... All For One will be Shigaraki's graduation gift when he grows into the mastermind he was destine to be.

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
If it was his intention I think he could transfer AFO to someone else, but it is an assumption that for me there will never be, an immortal type why should he do it?

More plausible that he decides to take Tomura's body

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shigaraki being the next "symbol of evil" does not mean he NEEDS AFO the quirk.

I see their relationship as AFO getting attached when he initally only planed to use him as physicological weapon against AM.

But he is way more of a hands off mentor, and I think this fits with being the symbol of evil.

Shigaraki HAS to get the respect, he can´t just be given it.
Forced sucession on criminal syndicates, both IRL and in stories, end badly.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shigaraki being the next "symbol of evil" does not mean he NEEDS AFO the quirk.

I see their relationship as AFO getting attached when he initally only planed to use him as physicological weapon against AM.

But he is way more of a hands off mentor, and I think this fits with being the symbol of evil.

Shigaraki HAS to get the respect, he can´t just be given it.
Forced sucession on criminal syndicates, both IRL and in stories, end badly.
Issue with that is that he's arch nemesis already out classes him in speed power and adaptability quirk wise. Plus that's without the other 6 quirks Deku's going to get. Shigaraki hiding behind of his henchman and the high ends will make their final battle really short and anticlimactic. He needs something that's going to make him final boss level.

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Issue with that is that he's arch nemesis already out classes him in speed power and adaptability quirk wise. Plus that's without the other 6 quirks Deku's going to get. Shigaraki hiding behind of his henchman and the high ends will make their final battle really short and anticlimactic. He needs something that's going to make him final boss level.
I can see they being oposittes as a plot point.

It has always irked me a bit that All Might (who was good) was all about being alone, and All for One (who was evil) was about team effort (even if he was using his pawns)

So it could lead to Deku realizing a society cant depend on just one symbol

Nightwayfarer

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Serbia

It has always irked me a bit that All Might (who was good) was all about being alone, and All for One (who was evil) was about team effort (even if he was using his pawns)

so you're trying to say that they should make several symbols? if i understood you correctly-that would be a bad idea honestly.The symbol of peace is like a living legend,the one and only,the best hero on Earth.Having several symbols would lose its special meaning

Last edited:

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
so you're trying to say that they should make several symbols? if i understood you correctly-that would be a bad idea honestly.The symbol of peace is like a living legend,the one and only,the best hero on Earth.Having several symbols would lose its special meaning
I mean like

All Might is the Symbol of peace, and that did a lot of good.

But look at how dependent society was of him.
Had he lost against AFO (even in the best case scenario for a loss, a mutual kill), society rules would´ve crumbled.
We already saw how society has become worse withouth him even if it shouldn´t, since we have guys like Endeavor and Hawks.

Society was far too dependent on the Symbol of peace, and if this system continues, it is inevitable that down the line someone IS going to lose.
And when that happens, society goes down with it.

I think by having the contrast of Shigaraki (teamwork) vs Deku (power by himself), it will make Deku realize that hero society NEEDS to change and FAST, so as to not lose the people´s hope.

we have seen already with stain how many heroes suck,

Nightwayfarer

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Serbia
I mean like

All Might is the Symbol of peace, and that did a lot of good.

But look at how dependent society was of him.
Had he lost against AFO (even in the best case scenario for a loss, a mutual kill), society rules would´ve crumbled.
We already saw how society has become worse withouth him even if it shouldn´t, since we have guys like Endeavor and Hawks.

Society was far too dependent on the Symbol of peace, and if this system continues, it is inevitable that down the line someone IS going to lose.
And when that happens, society goes down with it.

I think by having the contrast of Shigaraki (teamwork) vs Deku (power by himself), it will make Deku realize that hero society NEEDS to change and FAST, so as to not lose the people´s hope.

we have seen already with stain how many heroes suck,
Well deku has 7 quirks, he's so powerful, every villain will fear him. Hell, he's gonna be the legend, greatest hero (like he said) having that kind of power will just bring villains to a giant decrease, maybe even to an end.We have many great heroes to rely on, but we need THE hero that makes villains run away and hide just by hearing his name. It's better than making them all equal.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Ah, that's a nice take, I hadn't thought about it in those terms. But I think that only works if you look at it from the surface. AFO wasn't about team effort... He was about control. Manipulation. He used his power, influence and charisma to slowly build what appears to be a mafia like criminal empire. It's the illusion of teamwork. Maybe even like a cult? I agree in that having and relying on a symbol of peace is generally a poor idea that needs to be scrapped. A society relying on just one thing and man to function is IMO by definition weak and fragmented. Though strangely we do not see any of that from regular citizens in the series. We see villains of course but they never seem to be angry at society for actual reasons. The closest thing is stain but his objection seemed to be with the semantics behind the word hero rather than an actual problem.

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Ah, that's a nice take, I hadn't thought about it in those terms. But I think that only works if you look at it from the surface. AFO wasn't about team effort... He was about control. Manipulation. He used his power, influence and charisma to slowly build what appears to be a mafia like criminal empire. It's the illusion of teamwork. Maybe even like a cult? I agree in that having and relying on a symbol of peace is generally a poor idea that needs to be scrapped. A society relying on just one thing and man to function is IMO by definition weak and fragmented. Though strangely we do not see any of that from regular citizens in the series. We see villains of course but they never seem to be angry at society for actual reasons. The closest thing is stain but his objection seemed to be with the semantics behind the word hero rather than an actual problem.
yeah but just as how (at first) deku is supossed to be a BETTER symbol of peace, Shigaraki should be a BETTER symbol of evil IE true loyalyty
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also from the recent chapter, just now I thought that AFO has a "activate quirk" - quirk that he used on the unconcious kurogiri...which he could´ve usedo n the young shigaraki

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was Shigaraki meant to be a successor all along? No. I think in the beginning he was meant to be a pawn (maybe AFO's Second In Command) but that changed when All Might wrecked his body.

I can see Shigaraki getting multiple quirks, but not necessarily AFO. I'm thinking all the Nomu research and Gigantomachia having multiple quirks is leading up to The Doctor and All For One, bestowing multiple quirks on Shigaraki. That's a big responsibility and the two are waiting for Shigaraki to earn it.

animeangryfan4

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Understanding the twisted mind of AOF is very difficult sometiems
one one hand he can seem genuine in his care for Shira, but at the same time one should not forget that he did do that because he was also the grandson of an enemy

AFO is a megliomania, he thrives in his power and also a sociopath. His ego made him very overconfident. He looked down on heroes cause he looked down on justice in general. To him there is no justice, nor even Evil. He only belives he knwos what best. And since he experianced how "easily" people began to worship him, AOF belives every soul can be tainted and crushed.
and then a Hero came that destroyed everything he had. A Hero that never gave up. A Hero that stood for everything he did not belive in, wielding a power he had "given" to hsi power. Bascially AFO was crushed by something he created
there was no greater shame.

But then he found this kid Shira, and he has grown him into his succesor. One has too look in it a diffrent way
regardless of AOF somehow comes back to the story, or truly gives Shira his power, or jsut groomes Shira to be his natural succesro
AFO (in his own mind) will still win.
If he comes abck to the story (wby soem miracle or by Eris power) then he does not need a succesor and he will show hsi true power and crush everyone.
If he gives Shira his power or groomes him to be his succesor but still diffrent then AFO not only is that an ultimate middle finger to AOF but also the Legacies of the Shimura family AND the Torch bearers of OFA.
He would bascially have proven, that its so easy to break peoples mind.

I dont want him to make Shira his succesor, I hate Shira with a burning passion. But AFO have done everything with a plan. And I dont think he cares for Shira. he is just a Weapon of both Emotional and Unstable Power. in short, the perfect message to send out to the world
That is what I feel AOF truly intends to do as he made Shira his succersor.

NoOneInParticular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFO's whole deal with Shigaraki could be as simple as insulting All Might and the general legacy of OFA. OFA works by passing down the power and legacy to a chosen successor and grooming them to be better than the current wielder. So imagine what a deep diss it would be if AFO groomed his own successor and did a better job of it than All Might? All Might passes the power down, and AFO severs the line of OFA by killing that successor, and not even with his own hands, and then All Might is left powerless, knowing that OFA died on his watch - that would probably be the most hilarious, tasty type of revenge in AFO's mind. It would be saying 'Not only did you fail to end me, now I've proven I'm better at the thing you do than you are'

As for his endgame, it wouldn't surprise me if, after using him to enact his vengeance, AFO would be finished with Shigaraki. He may be imprisoned, but AFO is still immortal. He's got all the time in the world to wait for someone to be born with a Quirk that he can use to restore himself to his former glory.

Avtarino

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Yeah, I do believe right now he intends to have Shiggy inherit his legacy.

Key word being right now because to me, it feels AFO originally picked Shiggy purely to spite All Might and his legacy, but over time he came to genuinely care for Shiggy, albeit in his own twisted ways, like how he genuinely cares for his younger brother.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think AFO actually cares for Shigaraki. He's just a tool to help him destroy One For All's legacy. I'd go so far as to say AFO has no intention of passing anything to Shiggy and will betray him at some point, or at least try to do it. I'm guessing AFO isn't making it out of this series alive and I think a betrayed Shiggy will be the one taking him out.

Mallas26

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I don't think AFO actually cares for Shigaraki. He's just a tool to help him destroy One For All's legacy. I'd go so far as to say AFO has no intention of passing anything to Shiggy and will betray him at some point, or at least try to do it. I'm guessing AFO isn't making it out of this series alive and I think a betrayed Shiggy will be the one taking him out.
I agree with you,but argue with one term. Shigaraki will not kill AFO. It was meant for Izuku, he will be the one who defeat "Great Evil".
As for Shigaraki, this shit going to direction that Shirakumo will awake and try to protect Shigaraki. Perhaps Shigaraki will have some crisis because of hurt of betrayal...Same shit Zuko had. And maybe Shiggy will become antihero. And like Garen Malek will try to defy AFO and his Empire. Yeah i am sure we will see dark AFOs Empire in future. And there will be two forces to defy his rule: Heroes (Deku and squad) and Antiheroes( Shigaraki and LoV and maybe othee villains or vigilanties).

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with you,but argue with one term. Shigaraki will not kill AFO. It was meant for Izuku, he will be the one who defeat "Great Evil".
As for Shigaraki, this shit going to direction that Shirakumo will awake and try to protect Shigaraki. Perhaps Shigaraki will have some crisis because of hurt of betrayal...Same shit Zuko had. And maybe Shiggy will become antihero. And like Garen Malek will try to defy AFO and his Empire. Yeah i am sure we will see dark AFOs Empire in future. And there will be two forces to defy his rule: Heroes (Deku and squad) and Antiheroes( Shigaraki and LoV and maybe othee villains or vigilanties).
Nah plot demands Tomura stay as a villain and Oboro wouldn’t help or save someone like Tomura the only Kurogiri would.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That would be bad writing if AFO become the final villain since all the character development and foreshadowing would have been for nothing and a waste of time.