Question - Does Uvogin foreshadow Gon's future? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Does Uvogin foreshadow Gon's future?

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Youpi
In my opinion, I believe Uvogin has been the strongest enhancer we have seen in the story, and the strongest enhancer we will probably ever see..
As many of you may know, Gon is also an enhancer. Personally, I think Uvogin was meant to not only serve as a way to illustrate Kurapika's new powers, but also to layout the potential power Gon will have in the future. I think Gon will learn how to be as strong, or perhaps even stronger than Uvogin during the Dark continent arc.
I love Uvo but Youpi is the current strongest Enchancer We've seen. But I'm sure there be ridiculous Enchancers people in Dark Continent stronger than him.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Wasn't netero an enhancer too? I think Netero is lots stronger than uvo was :p

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Wasn't netero an enhancer too? I think Netero is lots stronger than uvo was :p
I know it's mentioned in the fanbook that he's an enchancer but his ability doesn't seem like an enchancer would create. So unless it's gets mentioned in the manga or a volume I wouldn't take that as fact.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Same for me, I still can't believe Netero is an Enhancer.

As for Gon, I don't see him fighting like Uvo. Rock is the classic enhancer punch but he has Scissors and Paper for more flexibility, Uvo just wanted raw power and had absolute confidence in his body. In terms of strategy and creativity in battle I consider him one of the best in the manga so far.

Gon will be a beast with his abilities polished(Enhancer offense and defense, huge amount of Aura, ability to surprise with Scissors and Paper etc.). And there is still the possibility that his Nen has been affected by the recent events.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I always liked the thought. I mean, i know the databook is not necessarily canon, but thinking that netero is an enhancer which is so insanely skilled that he can develope the hatsu that he had was appealing.

I also think that gon and uvo have very different approaches to fighting.
Uvo's whole pleasure come from just overpowering his enemy.
Punch em to death, scream em to death, bite em to death or stone them to death.
That is simply not gon's attitude. Gon enjoys fighting and clearly has an instinct for it (like when he was thrilled after first meeting hisoka), but he is not interested in destroying his opponent (usually). Gon uses fighting as a means to get better and finds pleasure in using his skills efficiently to set up a rock.
I don't see gon training just his physical raw force. He is a good boy who listens to biscuit about strenghtening his other abilities too.
Uvo would have told her off and just done push ups or whatever,

uberfayt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Same for me, I still can't believe Netero is an Enhancer.

As for Gon, I don't see him fighting like Uvo. Rock is the classic enhancer punch but he has Scissors and Paper for more flexibility, Uvo just wanted raw power and had absolute confidence in his body. In terms of strategy and creativity in battle I consider him one of the best in the manga so far.

Gon will be a beast with his abilities polished(Enhancer offense and defense, huge amount of Aura, ability to surprise with Scissors and Paper etc.). And there is still the possibility that his Nen has been affected by the recent events.
I agree, and I really hope the day where Gon will display his polished skills will come. In fact I have another hope, is to see Gon and Killua physically developped as teenagers (meaning even taller and muscular than they already are). It does make sense to think that since they are not part of the current arc, it gives the perfect excuse for Togashi to draw them more grown up. Of course when that happens, it will automatically imply a power up for both of them.

Last edited:

Escanorzoldyck

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'd prefer if they were 16-17 taller and more muscular rather than adults

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I'd prefer if they were 16-17 taller and more muscular rather than adults
Yeah that's what I meant too ^^ depending on how long this arc goes on (hxh time), they would be at least 15 when the arc is done.

Escanorzoldyck

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Arent they 15 currently? :huh:

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's the one thing i always would have rather had different in HxH: I would have gon and killuah start out with 15 or 16 and have them get to 18 over the course of the manga until now.
I always felt having them as kids took a bit away from the inner logic of the manga.
Having a very highly skilled 16 year old taking on adults and defeating them in a fight makes sense to me. Havign 12 year olds (and that without nen in the beginning) do that is not uncommon in shonen, but felt a bit silly to me.

As for me, I am not sure whether i want the prior dynamic with gon and killuah back. It would be a statement to never let gon have his nen back and simply have him use his wits like before to do thinks he wants. He does not stand out without nen in kaitos group, and even expeditions to the DC were done by people without nen. Yes, almost all of them died, but they got pretty far, so it should not be impossible.
I think it is time to explore gon and killuah in different ways, and that could be one of them. I also do not see what else their fighting styles would offer than getting faster and stronger.

Gon already escaped fate by alluka hax once. I think getting his nen back would be strange.
I would also ask about the timing. I mean, if gon was on the black whale, then we would know. Leorio and Kurapika would have mentioned something about it, and they are in contact with killuah.
And if he is not on the black whale, we get the whole boat arc and probably a good chunk of the new continent and then the dark continent without gon.
And since it would have to be at least a very significant event for him to get his nen back, his character arc would have to start THEN and it would take time until he finds a way to get it back.
And after not using nen for so long, he'd have to train before he could ever get near developing better fighting skills than the last time we have seen him.
I simply don't believe that the manga will be so long.

The only thing i could imagine was gon going nto the DC on another baot together with kite's group, getting one of the rare DC items to cure him at the end of the DC arc, and that we have a timeskip then into his teen years where he, as conclusion of the manga, fights someone significant.

But i think togashi has something else in mind with gon. Jairo probably stayed back on the human land, and gon stayed back too, and we know they will meet.
I think gon will be included in a story in our world without nen but with intrigue and whatnot.

mousiehamster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Seems more like a psychological thing than a nen thing with Gon. The oath and restriction which made Gon's transformation possible was merely the manifestation of the promise Gon made to himself. Gon's inability to use nen is probably therefore a mental block of sorts. This isn't the sort of stuff that medicines or nen itself can cure but must come from within. I can envisage Gon regaining his ability to use nen when he finds some new and exciting purpose in life or, cliched as it may sound, the need to use nen to protect or save someone.

Escanorzoldyck

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Seems more like a psychological thing than a nen thing with Gon. The oath and restriction which made Gon's transformation possible was merely the manifestation of the promise Gon made to himself. Gon's inability to use nen is probably therefore a mental block of sorts. This isn't the sort of stuff that medicines or nen itself can cure but must come from within. I can envisage Gon regaining his ability to use nen when he finds some new and exciting purpose in life or, cliched as it may sound, the need to use nen to protect or save someone.
Gon isnt that type of character (like ichigo)
He maybe needs to train to use it again

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think gon can back his nen back, at least not as easily as that.

It took alluka to heal him, and even she was not able to completely heal gon. He used his nen to gain insane power, and it was always clear that he gave it all away for that one shot.
As i take it, gon, at that point, had no nen anymore, which is why he was slowly dying (HxH humans all have nen, but only some can use it outside of their own body).
Alluka's heal restored his body and at least made it so that he has the normal nencirculation of a human.
But his condition still stands: He told his nen he gives it all away for the power he got. I don't think he can circumvent that.
It would be like kurapika using his skills against nonspiders and still not dying. It is kinda out of question.

Now, there might be things in the DC stronger than alluka, but gon is not going there. Togashi literally told us via ging that gon should be happy with what he got and search new purposes in life. And gon said to mito that he might have gone with ging if he still had nen, but now does not feel the motivation to do that.
If togashi wanted gon to find some super item on the DC that restores his nen, then gon would be on the blackwhale.

I do think gon will not get his nen back until MAYBE the very end of the manga and interact with gyro without his nen before.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

It took alluka to heal him, and even she was not able to completely heal gon. He used his nen to gain insane power, and it was always clear that he gave it all away for that one shot.
As i take it, gon, at that point, had no nen anymore, which is why he was slowly dying (HxH humans all have nen, but only some can use it outside of their own body).
Alluka's heal restored his body and at least made it so that he has the normal nencirculation of a human.
But his condition still stands: He told his nen he gives it all away for the power he got. I don't think he can circumvent that.
It would be like kurapika using his skills against nonspiders and still not dying. It is kinda out of question.

Now, there might be things in the DC stronger than alluka, but gon is not going there. Togashi literally told us via ging that gon should be happy with what he got and search new purposes in life. And gon said to mito that he might have gone with ging if he still had nen, but now does not feel the motivation to do that.
If togashi wanted gon to find some super item on the DC that restores his nen, then gon would be on the blackwhale.

I do think gon will not get his nen back until MAYBE the very end of the manga and interact with gyro without his nen before.
As much as I want Gon to recover his nen usage, I actually do agree with you and can even say that Gon, as far as the balance of the story goes, should not be able to reactivate his nen ever again (and my reason for believing so is the same as yours).

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

That's far too long for the MC of the story. Ging told him to find what he wants to do but it will certainly be related to a hunt. If he gets his Nen back near the end, how is he going to catch up with all this time lost while the others will progress and continue to live as Hunters? He needs a break but not that long, that's why Togashi can focus on Kurapika and Leorio now. Plus Ging said that he still has Aura so he might be able to relearn everything from zero.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
As much as I want Gon to recover his nen usage, I actually do agree with you and can even say that Gon, as far as the balance of the story goes, should not be able to reactivate his nen ever again (and my reason for believing so is the same as yours).
I feel it is kinda poetic, too, really and shows maturity in gon.
He is well aware of what he did and takes the consequences without complaining.
I think gon would have liked to have more adventures as a hunter, but without killuah, he is on his own now without a new group and it seems like he is willing to tackle his life without nen.
He might join kite's group at some point. They have no nen mostly too and he could come in handy with his sense of smell and his other enhanced instincts.

But as far as foreshadowing goes, he will meet gyro. Gon alone cannot beat a band of chimera ants anyway, and every other strong character is in the new world while gyro seemingly stayed behind.
Nen would not do gon any good in that confrontation (not necessarily fight, as it is foreshadowed that the type of their encounter is not clear yet) anyway, so i think we will explore how gon tackles tasks without his power.

It is also funny how killuah got basically omnipotent via alluka while gon lost his powers.
Still killuah is the one being hunted while gon is completely free now and has archieved the goal of his initial journey.

So, no, i think uvorgin does not foreshadow gon. If uvorgin lost his powers he would be broken and i dont think he could ever recover.
Gon can.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
That's far too long for the MC of the story. Ging told him to find what he wants to do but it will certainly be related to a hunt. If he gets his Nen back near the end, how is he going to catch up with all this time lost while the others will progress and continue to live as Hunters? He needs a break but not that long, that's why Togashi can focus on Kurapika and Leorio now. Plus Ging said that he still has Aura so he might be able to relearn everything from zero.
He is not going to catch up. I don't think he will.
Every hunter human has aura, ging explicitly said gon 'returned back to normal', so i assume it is just his normal life aura.

I would find it strange if togashi makes a point about that gon can be happy he is not dead and this was his prize to pay just for him to relearn it.
He could have put gon on a bus if he wanted to with other means. He could just have him join kite's group while being completely normal or decide to spend time with mito after archieving his goal.
But togashi decided without any need (because everyone assumed gon still had nen) to take the nen away from him and then have a conversation about this being fair and gon seeking out other things.
I doN't think ging meant things related to hunting. After all, there is a reason why u can only be a hunter if u got nen.

Add to that togashi's comments about YYH where he said after a long run, he wants to explore maincharacters in ways he usually was not allowed to in YYH.
He is allowed to do it now, so seriously crippling gon is something i can see happening on the long term.
There might be some 'gon gets his nen back' in a kind of epilogue near the end, but i dont see gon ever again having a proper normal 1n1 nenfight in the mainstory (and i realize how unpopular that opinion is).

I think gon is not the maincharacter anymore, too.
The ones running the show now are ging and kurapika so far.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
He is not going to catch up. I don't think he will.
Every hunter human has aura, ging explicitly said gon 'returned back to normal', so i assume it is just his normal life aura.

I would find it strange if togashi makes a point about that gon can be happy he is not dead and this was his prize to pay just for him to relearn it.
He could have put gon on a bus if he wanted to with other means. He could just have him join kite's group while being completely normal or decide to spend time with mito after archieving his goal.
But togashi decided without any need (because everyone assumed gon still had nen) to take the nen away from him and then have a conversation about this being fair and gon seeking out other things.
I doN't think ging meant things related to hunting. After all, there is a reason why u can only be a hunter if u got nen.

Add to that togashi's comments about YYH where he said after a long run, he wants to explore maincharacters in ways he usually was not allowed to in YYH.
He is allowed to do it now, so seriously crippling gon is something i can see happening on the long term.
There might be some 'gon gets his nen back' in a kind of epilogue near the end, but i dont see gon ever again having a proper normal 1n1 nenfight in the mainstory (and i realize how unpopular that opinion is).

I think gon is not the maincharacter anymore, too.
The ones running the show now are ging and kurapika so far.
It's true, but I don't think even Togashi would go that far. It will very bizarre if we don't see him grow as a Hunter. He has been put on a bus for now but even when the four were together it was clear that he was the protagonist, I don't think he can lose his role like that. Togashi could have let him die if he was planning to use him like that. He joined Kite for a while and returned on his island, because he needs some introspection and a new goal since he found Ging. With everything that's going to happen with the DC and stuff, keeping Gon without Nen sounds impossible to me, and it's still a battle manga. What could he even want which is unrelated to the hunter job? Living peacefully with his family? Gon would not want that. Besides Ging said there is always more than what you desire in the DC, he will definitely go there someday.

Ging said is Nen is back to normal, that's why I am saying that he could relearn everything from zero, via the normal method unlike the forceful one Wing used. Back then, Wing said Gon and Killua were so gifted they could have learnt it in a week.

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's true, but I don't think even Togashi would go that far. It will very bizarre if we don't see him grow as a Hunter. He has been put on a bus for now but even when the four were together it was clear that he was the protagonist, I don't think he can lose his role like that. Togashi could have let him die if he was planning to use him like that. He joined Kite for a while and returned on his island, because he needs some introspection and a new goal since he found Ging. With everything that's going to happen with the DC and stuff, keeping Gon without Nen sounds impossible to me, and it's still a battle manga. What could he even want which is unrelated to the hunter job? Living peacefully with his family? Gon would not want that. Besides Ging said there is always more than what you desire in the DC, he will definitely go there someday.

Ging said is Nen is back to normal, that's why I am saying that he could relearn everything from zero, via the normal method unlike the forceful one Wing used. Back then, Wing said Gon and Killua were so gifted they could have learnt it in a week.
Well, we are speaking about narrative odds here, but realistic odds.
There are several possibilities easily imagineable in the hunterverse. The DC could simply have a stronger 'ai' (if ai is really connected with alluka) which can heal gon or something like that.
Or even, as you said, he just relearns nen.

But if i think about narratives, i need to think about why togashi would do what.

If togashi wanted gon to get his nen back the normal way, which he could do in a week, he would not bother letting him lose it. There'd be no point in it at all. Even introspection or stuff like that is easily possible without that. What would stop him?

Simply, gon getting his nen back would be just another plotpoint togashi had to worry about and he would only include that if there was some pay off.

Letting gon survive for example served a purpose: getting killuah back to alluka (leave alone the immediet pay off of super gon's fight) and it, in the end, reunited gon with ging and even brought leorio and subsequently kurapika back into the picture.
This even worked on many different layers to bring the story forward, thus it was worth it.

Togashi rarely does thing without any reason, and tying gon back to mito for now would be archievable with means that won't make it necessary to have a 'get nen back' mini arc.
Gon lost his nen, in my opinion, because togashi wanted him to be depowered for a plot he had in mind.

What gon could want is a good question. It is for him to see, maybe it is not completely out of question that gone 'goes home and is a family man'.

Personally, i see three possibilities: Reconnecting with kite, reconnecting with palm or whale island getting threatened by an attack squard from gyro by whichever reason which makes gon try to defend it with normal means.

In any case, i cannot see gon's plot of getting his nen back aligning in any feasible way with the plot we have now.
We would either have a disruptive plotline about him while everyone wants to see what happens on the DC or we will have the DC arc handled and just being told after a timeskip that gon got his nen back by some DC item or any other means.
Both seems really useless to me.

I can only imagine gon being relevant again because all strong hunters are going to the DC and gyro can do as he pleases with not much resistance left.
And with that, he has no time to go on some train arc or wait for the DC expedition to return