Discussion - Dragon King Slaying Magic | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Dragon King Slaying Magic

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
As we saw in Chapter 434 of Fairy Tail, Natsu used the magic Flame Dragon King's Crumbling Fist. But this got me wondering whether it is a new type of dragon slaying magic Natsu maybe developed himself for his Dragon Slayer magic, or whether its an evolved form of his magic awakened after Igneel left his body and released through training during the time-skip. Thoughts?

MangerDan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Dragon King Slaying Magic: Is it a new type of dragon slaying magic, or just an evolved form of Dragon Slaying Magic?

I think it's just a new attack or maybe even a new set of attacks that natsu developed during his training, but it is pretty clear that the dragons were indeed nerfing the slayers potential. So it could be an evolved form of his dragon slaying magic he's inching closer to igneels full strenght.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Dragon King Slaying Magic: Is it a new type of dragon slaying magic, or just an evolved form of Dragon Slaying Magic?

I would also add the fact that Dragon Slaying is a form of mimic magic. Before Natsu was mimicking a dragon, but as stated by Atlas flame Igneel is the King of Flame dragons whose's flame even burned Atlas (how the F*** do you burn a Dragon made of fire!) Natsu is now at a level where he can Mimic his Father's Flames.

Now what makes a Dragon king? The fact that Igneel could make Atlas feel pain could only mean that a Dragon King is a level above a normal Dragon. If we could have S class Mages then we could have S class Dragons. Now Igneel and Acnologia are the only two Dragons we know of who were ever called King. Acnologia being the one to annihilate the whole Dragon race and Igneel being able to keep up and even tear off Acnologia's arm shows that Kings are godly So I guess you would need a King Dragon Slayer inorder to even hurt a Dragon King.

Now can the other Dragon Slayers reach this level, who knows the other Dragon parents were never said to be Kings of their elements, we could only hope and speculate. Gejeel for one went from being a Iron DS to a Steel DS so maybe their are tier levels for DS magic

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dragon King Slaying Magic: Is it a new type of dragon slaying magic, or just an evolved form of Dragon Slaying Magic?

So, in Chapter 434, Natsu used "Flame Dragon King's Crumbling Fist", which seemed to be an upgraded version of Dragon Slaying magic, hence the king. This got me thinking whether it is separate to Dragon Slaying Magic in a way, or just an evolution from it. Thoughts?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I think it is simply a stronger attack within regular dragon slayer magic. The only difference I could see there, though its a long shot, is natsu being a flame dragon slayer to a more specific flame. For example, atlasflame made the point that he had hellfire and whatnot. So a DS with his power would perhaps be simply a hellfire dragon slayer. So the issue would be whether igneel had a special type of fire and natsu earlier was not using it and now he is. Though I don't think he has acquired a more special type of fire than he already had.

sarutobi_sensei

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

I think it's just the name of the attack. There could be variations of Dragon Slaying Magic, but that seems unlikely right now.

We do know that we have double dragon slaying modes, Like Fire Lightning and Iron-Shadow, we're still missing a fusion between the 3 remaining ones we know for sure, Light, Air and Poison.

milek

Reaction score
Country
Serbia

It's a new move. He's using more power in new attack and god got defeated. After one year its normal thing to get new move after all that power up.

Rarhyx

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

imo it's just a stronger attack and not a new slayer style
maybe all his stronger attacks have now "dragon king" in their names (as a tribute to Igneel or something)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I don't see how it can qualify into a new slayer style. We have seen DS from entirely different species and their combat is still fundamentally the same as any other slayer. The question here should be whether natsu is using a different type of flame with that attack which would correspond to a specific fire igneel would have used (like atlasflame's hellfire). I don't think that is the case, natsu here is simply punching stuff harder.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with he is using a new fire and this is not a new slaying type or style. It is perfectly plausible that the different types of fires aren't actually different fires but just different levels of heat and power. Like Atlas Flames fire is fire that was hotter than the ones Natsu was previously using. I mean one thing that has been made evident with the current Natsu is how hot his flames are now since he seems to be able to just burn and melt most everything around him with ease. Also if you look at his attacks against the God his first punch had darker flames http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/434/11. His second punch that actually worked the flames were much brighter http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/434/14 and larger. In fact these new flames were nearly all white even in the explosion itself indicating that they are much hotter and more explosive than the previous flames. Igneels flames seem similar to it too http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/401/11 though since all of this is not in color it is a lot of speculating on my part at this point. When we get it in color this will be much easier to determine.

smurf777

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think this is some type of transformation magic (dragonization) on natsu lol look:http://www.mangakaka.com/Fairy_Tail1/435/02/
Igneel's and the other dragons reason for sleeping inside the dragon slayers is to prevent them from becoming dragons and go through any transformation so this theory is out .
Now that attack is his normal fist with some serious power up juice and that name is in honor of Igneel the king of the fire dragons and just to make it clear when Igneel fought Acnologia and ripped his arm he was no where near his full power from working on Natsu's body .

Dranzer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I do think that 'Dragon King Slaying Magic' is just simply an evolved version of Dragon Slaying Magic.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
About natsu against the war god... I was going through the chapter.. did natsu use igneel's power against it? As in, did he use the same power he used against zeref? He used the flame dragon king's technique thing, wouldn't that imply it was the same power? Or did I miss something here?

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
About natsu against the war god... I was going through the chapter.. did natsu use igneel's power against it? As in, did he use the same power he used against zeref? He used the flame dragon king's technique thing, wouldn't that imply it was the same power? Or did I miss something here?
I was confused here for quite a while and I still don't think I fully understand it yet. Honestly, I don't see why it wouldn't be Igneel's power... It doesn't look like Natsu's own power. Plus, the name of the mode and attack are the same.

Anyways, the question still stands. If Natsu never used it prior to fighting Zeref, how would he have known the name of the attack or what it does? Igneel surely didn't tell him that. I believe he was using Igneel's Flames but not to the full extent. In other words, when Natsu took off the bandages to fight Zeref, he was committing to the loss of its powers by using up all of Igneel's Fire. As for when Natsu used it against Ikusa-Tsunagi, it was probably only a partial of Igneel's flame. Besides, who said that Natsu had to use it all up at the same time? He could have used it and saved the rest for later. By one-time use, I think it was referring to the amount or capacity of Igneel's flames to start out with, in which after Natsu uses it all, it would cease to exist from then on.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I don't think there's a certain answer right now. It's a question that has popped up a number of times. Personally I think it's clear that was igneel's power. There was just too many hints there. First he used the bandaged arm, Igneel was shown before the attack and Natsu literally says he'll show them what Igneel's flames are made of. I don't think it was a coincidence that Natsu's initial attack on the at god was ineffective while the next one crushed it. It's very likely igneel's power just that he didn't release the bandages and didn't enter FDK mode so it's the same power, or should be at least

MangerDan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think there's a certain answer right now. It's a question that has popped up a number of times. Personally I think it's clear that was igneel's power. There was just too many hints there. First he used the bandaged arm, Igneel was shown before the attack and Natsu literally says he'll show them what Igneel's flames are made of. I don't think it was a coincidence that Natsu's initial attack on the at god was ineffective while the next one crushed it. It's very likely igneel's power just that he didn't release the bandages and didn't enter FDK mode so it's the same power, or should be at least
We should wait until it's said in the Manga Natsu can't use fdk spells or that it came from the power igneel gave him. Natsu saying "Let me show you the power of the flame dragon king" can just be in context igneel's magic is his magic after all. It doesn't have to mean he is literally using igneel's power. We could honestly just be trying to solve a mystery that isn't there.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
We should wait until it's said in the Manga Natsu can't use fdk spells or that it came from the power igneel gave him. Natsu saying "Let me show you the power of the flame dragon king" can just be in context igneel's magic is his magic after all. It doesn't have to mean he is literally using igneel's power. We could honestly just be trying to solve a mystery that isn't there.
I did mention that it's not certain. Well, isn't it redundant for him to have said he'd show them Igneel's power considering he'd been fighting the whole time? Heck he used an attack right before that so why would he explicitly state that he'd show them Igneel's power and why would it have a different name? Furthermore, we eventually find out that Igneel literally left power for Natsu, the latter trained with it over the timeskip and it's called FDK. Natsu had never named attacks like that prior to that.

MangerDan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did mention that it's not certain. Well, isn't it redundant for him to have said he'd show them Igneel's power considering he'd been fighting the whole time? Heck he used an attack right before that so why would he explicitly state that he'd show them Igneel's power and why would it have a different name? Furthermore, we eventually find out that Igneel literally left power for Natsu, the latter trained with it over the timeskip and it's called FDK. Natsu had never named attacks like that prior to that.
Like I said we should wait for the Manga to say something about it this whole argument will just go in circles.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Looking at the chapter, this could be somewhat relevant regarding natsu's strength. We saw natsu attack the war god twice. The first one he did nothing, the second one he ended him. If he did use the same power he used against zeref it puts the war god in an entirely knew light. It's not just some creature natsu one shot with a flame punch, its a creature that resisted his full power (not his strongest technique but still the most power he could get out of said technique) even considering evidence suggests natsu's base form far exceeds pre time skip gildarts. The yakuma war gods are instantly immensely powerful creatures that would even be a threat maybe even to springans...