Discussion - Dragon King Slaying Magic | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Dragon King Slaying Magic

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Looking at the chapter, this could be somewhat relevant regarding natsu's strength. We saw natsu attack the war god twice. The first one he did nothing, the second one he ended him. If he did use the same power he used against zeref it puts the war god in an entirely knew light. It's not just some creature natsu one shot with a flame punch, its a creature that resisted his full power (not his strongest technique but still the most power he could get out of said technique) even considering evidence suggests natsu's base form far exceeds pre time skip gildarts. The yakuma war gods are instantly immensely powerful creatures that would even be a threat maybe even to springans...
Yes, it does change things a fair bit. I think it's more likely it was Igneel's power that crushed the war god but they're immensely powerful creature. Considering the amount of damage it wrought when it swung the sword, it's more plausible to believe they're very powerful and at least enough to resist powerful attacks from someone of Natsu's caliber.

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
About natsu against the war god... I was going through the chapter.. did natsu use igneel's power against it? As in, did he use the same power he used against zeref? He used the flame dragon king's technique thing, wouldn't that imply it was the same power? Or did I miss something here?
I would say no. These are the reasons.

1) Natsu only entered Flame Dragon King mode for his final attack against Zeref. The fact he did that seems to suggests the attacks before that weren't Fire-Dragon King spells. This is the major point for me. It's entirely possible that for Natsu to use Igneel's power without using FDK spells. Why then do we assume that all the Fire Dragon King spells were done using Igneel's power?
2) Happy was surprised that Natsu would use Igneel's power so soon against Zeref. This happened when Natsu unraveled the bandages. Literally seconds before that, Natsu used a Fire Dragon King spell against the Alvarez troops, and this had no reaction from Happy. One would think that Happy would be more surprised if he was using Igneel's power against fodders.
3) Natsu kept Igneel's power sealed until he chose to take off the bandages. Nobody was able to sense Igneel's power from Natsu when the bandages were on. The moment Natsu took off the bandages, Zeref was impressed by the magical power coming from Natsu. Keep in mind Zeref knew what was going on when Natsu fought his troops. He even knew the number of casualties inflicted. However, it was only when Natsu chose to remove those bandages that Zeref was impressed by his power.
4) It seems rather odd Natsu would choose to hold back Igneel's power against the Spriggan 12, but not against relatively weak fodders like the Alvarez Troops. This seems like a major waste of power.
5) Igneel's power was repeatedly suggested to be a one-time usage only. Natsu had enough power for one more attack against Zeref, yet he was afraid that the power would run out. If Natsu was able to control how much power he was using all along, why would he even worry about this? Couldn't he save the power for later?

We'll just have to wait and see it ever turns up in the series again.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I don't even count BDKM mode because it's gone. It's not something Natsu can use again.

In BDKM Natsu dominated Zeref, and would do so against anyone. If Zeref wasn't a cursed tank he'd be done in.

I do think DF can possibly trump BDKM mode. Even though Natsu won't be as powerful MP wise (even when Natsu enters DF on his own he doesn't receive MP); I do think he could match or surpass the level of power output that BDKM Natsu did, simply because Natsu will actually be part dragon.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I don't even count BDKM mode because it's gone. It's not something Natsu can use again.

In BDKM Natsu dominated Zeref, and would do so against anyone. If Zeref wasn't a cursed tank he'd be done in.

I do think DF can possibly trump BDKM mode. Even though Natsu won't be as powerful MP wise (even when Natsu enters DF on his own he doesn't receive MP); I do think he could match or surpass the level of power output that BDKM Natsu did, simply because Natsu will actually be part dragon.
Does that really follow though? I find it highly unlikely. Igneel was about the most powerful dragon after all. He's right up there with Acnologia, maybe even above him if he has full power but regardless of opinion, Igneel is clearly not your average dragon. Even though dragon force gives power comparable to dragons, it doesn't mean it's gives power on par with one of Igneel's caliber much less superior. It wouldn't make sense for Natsu's DF to actually be stronger than FDKM which is literally Igneel's power. The only way I see DF being able to match or exceed FDKM could be in physical aspect since DF actually gives him dragon like features while FDKM seemed to simply be MP. Asides that, I don't see how DF can possible match FDKM output. Certainly not in terms of spells tbh. So even though FDKM Natsu is possibly more powerful than any single Mage, it doesn't mean DF Natsu would be the same. I don't think using a connection like that for arguments sake works.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I would say no. These are the reasons.

1) Natsu only entered Flame Dragon King mode for his final attack against Zeref. The fact he did that seems to suggests the attacks before that weren't Fire-Dragon King spells. This is the major point for me. It's entirely possible that for Natsu to use Igneel's power without using FDK spells. Why then do we assume that all the Fire Dragon King spells were done using Igneel's power?
2) Happy was surprised that Natsu would use Igneel's power so soon against Zeref. This happened when Natsu unraveled the bandages. Literally seconds before that, Natsu used a Fire Dragon King spell against the Alvarez troops, and this had no reaction from Happy. One would think that Happy would be more surprised if he was using Igneel's power against fodders.
3) Natsu kept Igneel's power sealed until he chose to take off the bandages. Nobody was able to sense Igneel's power from Natsu when the bandages were on. The moment Natsu took off the bandages, Zeref was impressed by the magical power coming from Natsu. Keep in mind Zeref knew what was going on when Natsu fought his troops. He even knew the number of casualties inflicted. However, it was only when Natsu chose to remove those bandages that Zeref was impressed by his power.
4) It seems rather odd Natsu would choose to hold back Igneel's power against the Spriggan 12, but not against relatively weak fodders like the Alvarez Troops. This seems like a major waste of power.
5) Igneel's power was repeatedly suggested to be a one-time usage only. Natsu had enough power for one more attack against Zeref, yet he was afraid that the power would run out. If Natsu was able to control how much power he was using all along, why would he even worry about this? Couldn't he save the power for later?

We'll just have to wait and see it ever turns up in the series again.
Well, but in that case then why did natsu name his attacks the way he did? Before the zeref fight natsu used two attacks to which he referred to as "flame dragon king" attacks, his fist and his roar which he used to great effect. Then when he fought zeref he used "flame dragon king mode". It's the exact name down to the letter (specifically "enryo" in Japanese). Now, I am not saying natsu used "flame dragon king mode" before. However the name explicitly suggests a connection. In this case the implication would be that natsu accessed a bit of the power igneel had left him. If he did only use a small part of the power he actually had it would make sense that he didn't quite get the reaction from others as he did when he finally fully unleashed it through flame dragon king mode. Basically, his flame dragon king attacks from before activating flame dragon king mode would have been a pretty big jump from his base form attacks but still immensely weaker than the whole unleashed thing.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Well I mean output in the sense that dragons have greater output than humans. It's more likely that BDKM Natsu has the greatest one spell purely because of greater MP. But the overall fighting capabilities might go to DF Natsu in the end, depending on how strong this form is.

Igneel left power in Natsu, but how much? He had to fight Acno, with the intention of defeating him. It's enough MP to think Natsu could beat Zeref, so it's a lot of power, but I don't think it's Igneel equivalent. It's just the last of Igneel's power that he left in Natsu.

As for DF vs BDKM (MP boost) I compare this like Tenrou LFD and Tartarus Dragon Force (but obviously Igneel >> Laxus, and Current Natsu >> other Natsu's).

On Tenrou Natsu got an MP boost from Laxus which not only gave him dual elements (increases MP output in spells), but also gave him more power for all his other stats. His roar was a massive display of power which exhausted the power he had in him.

DF in Tartarus, Natsu had less MP (no MP boost, and had been fighting for a while) but was able to perform at Tenrou LFD level or better for a short time (I think his physical stats would have been higher, but I put LFD roar > CL Phoenix blade due to more MP).

Using those 2 instances there leaves the room for possibility that DF can stack up to Natsu when he has a boost to MP. To me, I think DF has a fairly good chance of beating BDKM. Natsu (without any END powers or whatever) should achieve sub-Igneel power in DF, depending on how much he becomes a dragon. With the anti-bodies I think it's fair to assume he can't go full dragon, so by that I can't see him emulating Igneel. He might be able to get close though.

If I were to stretch my assumptions using manga logic and speculation (not evidence) he should save his best for Acnologia, so if BDKM is used now is it possible that Natsu has more faith in DF? And his strongest form is likely to come at end of arc than early.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, but in that case then why did natsu name his attacks the way he did? Before the zeref fight natsu used two attacks to which he referred to as "flame dragon king" attacks, his fist and his roar which he used to great effect. Then when he fought zeref he used "flame dragon king mode". It's the exact name down to the letter (specifically "enryo" in Japanese). Now, I am not saying natsu used "flame dragon king mode" before. However the name explicitly suggests a connection. In this case the implication would be that natsu accessed a bit of the power igneel had left him. If he did only use a small part of the power he actually had it would make sense that he didn't quite get the reaction from others as he did when he finally fully unleashed it through flame dragon king mode. Basically, his flame dragon king attacks from before activating flame dragon king mode would have been a pretty big jump from his base form attacks but still immensely weaker than the whole unleashed thing.
Dragon Slayers name their attacks after their parent dragons. When Natsu only knew Igneel as a normal fire dragon, his spells were known as "fire dragon's". Now Natsu knows Igneel's status as the Fire Dragon King, he renamed his more powerful spells accordingly. If Gajeel had received Metallicana's power, his spells would still be named "Iron Dragon" even when using Metallicana's power. Besides, Natsu has always been using the same fire as Igneel. That's why Atlas Flame recognized Natsu's power as Igneel's. The only difference is that Igneel is a lot stronger than Natsu in raw-power.

Natsu did not use Fire Dragon King mode when he first began to fight Zeref. Natsu used at least 6-8 attacks with Igneel's power before he even entered Fire Dragon King's mode. It was only with his second to last attack and last attempted attack that he was actually in Fire Dragon King's mode. Zeref sensed Igneel's power the moment he took off his bandages, not when he entered FDKM. Happy made a comment on how Natsu's using Igneel's power so soon against Zeref, despite just witnessing Natsu use a FDK spell against fodders.

What's the difference between using Lightning-Fire mode and using just a single lightning-fire attack in base mode? In lightning-fire mode ALL your attacks are done using LFD. Then what's the difference between Fire Dragon King mode and using a single Fire Dragon King spell in base mode? In Fire Dragon King mode ALL your attacks should be Fire Dragon King spells. Now you guys are saying ALL of Natsu's attacks using Igneel's power are done using Fire Dragon King spells. Even ignoring the fact that this simply isn't true, there would no distinction between Natsu just using Igneel's power and Natsu using Fire-Dragon King mode.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Because Igneel was the Fire Dragon King, and now Natsu knows that. When, Natsu only knew Igneel as a normal fire dragon, his spells were known as "fire dragon's". Now Natsu knows Igneel's status as the Fire Dragon King, he renamed his more powerful spells accordingly. Besides, Natsu has always been using the same fire as Igneel. That's why Atlas Flame recognized Natsu's power as Igneel's. The only difference is that Igneel is a lot stronger than Natsu in raw-power.

Natsu did not use Fire Dragon King mode when he first began to fight Zeref. Natsu used at least 6-8 attacks with Igneel's power before he even entered Fire Dragon King's mode. It was only with his second to last attack and last attempted attack that he was actually in Fire Dragon King's mode. Zeref sensed Igneel's power the moment he took off his bandages. Happy made a comment on how Natsu's using Igneel's power so soon against Zeref, despite just witnessing Natsu use a FDK spell against fodders.

What's the difference between using Lightning-Fire mode and using just a single lightning-fire attack in base mode? In lightning-fire mode ALL your attacks are done using LFD. Then what's the difference between Fire Dragon King mode and using a single Fire Dragon King spell in base mode? In Fire Dragon King mode ALL your attacks should be Fire Dragon King spells. Now you guys are saying ALL of Natsu's attacks using Igneel's power are done using Fire Dragon King spells, and that simply isn't true. There would be no reason to even enter Fire Dragon King mode if all the attacks he was using were already fire dragon king,

That would make sense if the difference we have seen was merely in name. Natsu does not exclusively use attacks named "enryo" nowadays. As far as I can tell he still uses the regular names he has been using up to now for his attacks. It is only specific attacks that have gotten the "enryo" naming. And when he has used it he does seem to display an abnormal amount of power. Take the war god thing. His first attack did virtually nothing. His enryo attack in turn did cause damage and he specifically referred to it as igneel's actual power.

My point here is simple, that natsu before was using small bits of igneel's power but only in certain attacks, when he called them flame dragon kings. The rest of the time he is using his regular attacks as he always has. And this of course would have the implication that the yakuma war god was far more powerful than what many of us would have initially thought.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
FDKM was a bit of Energy from Half-dead Igneel.I will not be Surprised if His DF is stronger than FDKM.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
FDKM was a bit of Energy from Half-dead Igneel.I will not be Surprised if His DF is stronger than FDKM.
Well, FDKM is the most power we have seen from a single individual yet and not only in terms of raw power but in its apparent ability to do the impossibility of killing zeref. Even if dragon force is stronger it wouldn't be weird if it is unable to kill zeref. Also worth noting is that if dragon force is stronger then FDKM as we saw it would be literally pointless. For the whole thing to make sense in the context of the story FDKM shouldn't merely be stronger than DF. It should be overwhelmingly more powerful, it should completely dwarf it. Which would make sense with natsu getting a bit of igneel's power considering that dragons should have a volume of power immensely greater than even the strongest humans.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Dragon Slayers name their attacks after their parent dragons. When Natsu only knew Igneel as a normal fire dragon, his spells were known as "fire dragon's". Now Natsu knows Igneel's status as the Fire Dragon King, he renamed his more powerful spells accordingly. If Gajeel had received Metallicana's power, his spells would still be named "Iron Dragon" even when using Metallicana's power. Besides, Natsu has always been using the same fire as Igneel. That's why Atlas Flame recognized Natsu's power as Igneel's. The only difference is that Igneel is a lot stronger than Natsu in raw-power.
This doesn't make sense though. I'm pretty sure Natsu always knew Igneel as the fire dragon King. At least we know Atlas flame mentioned that in GMG. Also, a crucial point you're overlooking is that Igneel was dead at the end of Tartarus. It's not like he was present with/in Natsu during the one year timeskip so there's no reason for Natsu to have realized Igneel was the FDK after his death, he would've know that before.
Also, another error, Atlas flame didn't recognize Natsu's flames as Igneel's. He only made the connection when Natsu began to eat his flames and then he recalled the sensation was similar to that of Igneel, especially because not just anyone can eat his flames.

Natsu did not use Fire Dragon King mode when he first began to fight Zeref. Natsu used at least 6-8 attacks with Igneel's power before he even entered Fire Dragon King's mode. It was only with his second to last attack and last attempted attack that he was actually in Fire Dragon King's mode. Zeref sensed Igneel's power the moment he took off his bandages, not when he entered FDKM. Happy made a comment on how Natsu's using Igneel's power so soon against Zeref, despite just witnessing Natsu use a FDK spell against fodders.
Does that invalidate that the earlier spells he used against zeref weren't FDK spells? If anything, it even proves that FDK spells can be used without explicitly entering the mode. We've seen this before. Natsu has used LFD spells without entering the mode. So if Natsu used FDK spells without entering the mode against Zeref, he could have done that against the war god. The point is that FDK spells are done with Igneel's power so attributing that to Natsu doesn't follow.

What's the difference between using Lightning-Fire mode and using just a single lightning-fire attack in base mode? In lightning-fire mode ALL your attacks are done using LFD. Then what's the difference between Fire Dragon King mode and using a single Fire Dragon King spell in base mode? In Fire Dragon King mode ALL your attacks should be Fire Dragon King spells. Now you guys are saying ALL of Natsu's attacks using Igneel's power are done using Fire Dragon King spells. Even ignoring the fact that this simply isn't true, there would no distinction between Natsu just using Igneel's power and Natsu using Fire-Dragon King mode.
I think you're missing the point here and simply backing up what we've said so far. FDK spells are done with Igneel's power. Said spells can be done even without entering FDK mode in which all the attacks would be done with Igneel's power. It doesn't mean that all Natsu has done thus far is with Igneel's power but if he names an attack FDK, then we're to assume that it was done using Igneel's power and now we know that he has exhausted the reserves that Igneel left in him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What's the proof that it was a bit of energy? Considering Igneel didn't have much time to interact with Natsu after emerging, it means Igneel would've left the power while he was within Natsu. The amount of power he left would be unknown just that Natsu noted it is finite since Igneel was dead and thus the power was irreplaceable. Also, a little from a dragon is still a whole lot. Considering a half dead Igneel managed to give Acnologia such injuries and even take his arm, his power regardless of the amount would be immense by human standards.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, natsu did say it was leftovers from igneel's power. And even then igneel was not quite at full power when fighting acknologia. It makes sense that the power igneel left natsu would be incredibly small in comparison to what his actual power was and that it would in turn still be immensely greater than what natsu could currently achieve with dragon force.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This doesn't make sense though. I'm pretty sure Natsu always knew Igneel as the fire dragon King. At least we know Atlas flame mentioned that in GMG. Also, a crucial point you're overlooking is that Igneel was dead at the end of Tartarus. It's not like he was present with/in Natsu during the one year timeskip so there's no reason for Natsu to have realized Igneel was the FDK after his death, he would've know that before.
Also, another error, Atlas flame didn't recognize Natsu's flames as Igneel's. He only made the connection when Natsu began to eat his flames and then he recalled the sensation was similar to that of Igneel, especially because not just anyone can eat his flames.

Does that invalidate that the earlier spells he used against zeref weren't FDK spells? If anything, it even proves that FDK spells can be used without explicitly entering the mode. We've seen this before. Natsu has used LFD spells without entering the mode. So if Natsu used FDK spells without entering the mode against Zeref, he could have done that against the war god. The point is that FDK spells are done with Igneel's power so attributing that to Natsu doesn't follow.

I think you're missing the point here and simply backing up what we've said so far. FDK spells are done with Igneel's power. Said spells can be done even without entering FDK mode in which all the attacks would be done with Igneel's power. It doesn't mean that all Natsu has done thus far is with Igneel's power but if he names an attack FDK, then we're to assume that it was done using Igneel's power and now we know that he has exhausted the reserves that Igneel left in him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What's the proof that it was a bit of energy? Considering Igneel didn't have much time to interact with Natsu after emerging, it means Igneel would've left the power while he was within Natsu. The amount of power he left would be unknown just that Natsu noted it is finite since Igneel was dead and thus the power was irreplaceable. Also, a little from a dragon is still a whole lot. Considering a half dead Igneel managed to give Acnologia such injuries and even take his arm, his power regardless of the amount would be immense by human standards.
Why would he have known all along? At the very earliest, it was mentioned when Atlas Flame said Igneel was the king of the fire dragons. Even then, I doubt Natsu paid much attention to it. By the time Tartarus Arc rolled around, Igneel was mentioned as the Fire Dragon King various times by people like Mard Geer and Acnologia. Atlas Flame did recognize Natsu's power as Igneel's. First of all, dragons were never shown to be eating elements anyways. Secondly, I really see no reason why any dragon slayer wouldn't be able to eat Atlas Flame's fire. Lastly, it's not just Natsu who has his power recognized to be the power of his parent dragon, Wendy's Milky Way was recognized as Grandeeney's magic. It makes sense because Dragon Slayers essentially change their biology to that of their dragons.

Why would you enter "FDK mode" if all your spells prior were already FDK? What would the difference even be? If you can use FDK spells all the time without entering FDK mode, then FDK mode becomes completely redundant. Effectively, using Igneel's power would make you FDK mode by default. This is the exact opposite of what the manga portrays. Natsu was able to use Igneel's power to punch 6-8 times without ever invoking FDKM. Then, after invoking Igneel's power Natsu had to go out of his way to invoke FDKM.

Honestly, the point above alone should be enough to prove a distinction between FDK spells and using Igneel's power. Then factor in the fact that the point in which both Zeref and Happy implied was when Natsu started using Igneel's power was when he removed his bandages, and the fact that this is minutes after Natsu just used a FDK spell.

Lastly, stating that "FDK spells are done with Igneel's power" cannot be the proof that "FDK spells are done using Igneel's power".

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
No one is saying all of natsu's spells were FDK mode. Just that the ones he specifically referred to FKD were using a small bit of the power igneel left him and the rest of them (either named or unnamed) were his regular fire dragon spells.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
But that's just it. I don't see a reason to assume that FDK spells were done by using Igneel's power in the first place.

This is what I'm saying:
Base mode: Your default form. You can still use higher form attacks, but not all your attacks will be in that form.
LFD Mode: The form in which all your attacks are done using LFD spells
FDK Mode: The form in which all your attacks are done using FDK spells
Igneel's power: Igneel's raw magical power.

This is what I seem to be getting from you.
Igneel's power: The form where all of Natsu's attacks are done using FDK spells
FDK mode: Some form which drains all of Natsu's power when using his already available FDK spells.

I just don't see why that would be the case. Why would Natsu even have to invoke a mode for FDK if effectively all his attacks using Igneel's power is FDK? It defeats the entire purpose. Also, why would Happy/Zeref not recognize Natsu's FDK roar as a display of Igneel's power, but then immediately recognize the unraveling of Natsu's bandages as Natsu using Igneel's power?

I'll meet you half way on this issue. You can argue that FDK mode, in which all of Natsu's attacks are done using FDK spells, requires magic as powerful as Igneel's to sustain. However, in order for me to believe that all of Natsu's FDK spells must be done using Igneel's power I need to see 2 things:
1) All of Natsu's attacks done after unraveling the bandages must be be FDK spells.
2) All of Natsu's FDK spells before unraveling the bandages must be be Igneel's power.
And I just don't any reason to assume either of those two to be the case.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well, natsu did say it was leftovers from igneel's power. And even then igneel was not quite at full power when fighting acknologia. It makes sense that the power igneel left natsu would be incredibly small in comparison to what his actual power was and that it would in turn still be immensely greater than what natsu could currently achieve with dragon force.
Yes, the power Igneel left would obviously pale in comparison to Igneel's full power but doesn't necessarily mean it was a small amount left. Anyway, my point was that the fact that Igneel left some power doesn't negate that it was a ton of power compared to what Natsu's regular power.
Why would he have known all along? At the very earliest, it was mentioned when Atlas Flame said Igneel was the king of the fire dragons. Even then, I doubt Natsu paid much attention to it. By the time Tartarus Arc rolled around, Igneel was mentioned as the Fire Dragon King various times by people like Mard Geer and Acnologia. Atlas Flame did recognize Natsu's power as Igneel's. First of all, dragons were never shown to be eating elements anyways. Secondly, I really see no reason why any dragon slayer wouldn't be able to eat Atlas Flame's fire. Lastly, it's not just Natsu who has his power recognized to be the power of his parent dragon, Wendy's Milky Way was recognized as Grandeeney's magic. It makes sense because Dragon Slayers essentially change their biology to that of their dragons.
You're simply selecting bits that are convenient for your point. I mean, whose words are more credible? A demon and a human turned dragon or an actual flame dragon? Why would Natsu ignore Atlas flame in the first place?
It doesn't matter that dragons weren't shown elements. This much is obvious considering we've barely seen dragons in the first place. Also, when atlas flame mentioned Igneel eating his flames, we were shown a flashback. It doesn't matter if you see no reason why another dragon should be able to eat Atlas' flame. AF himself immediately connected the sensation to that of Igneel and he mentioned his flames are powerful, apparently only inferior to Igneel himself.

Milky Way is still grandeeny's spell though and it's distinctive enough for Zirconis to recognize it immediately. Dragon slayers use their parent's elements, it's not the same as using their power. The difference is in the scale of magic which is why one might not immediately recognize a DS magic and connect it to the foster dragon.

Why would you enter "FDK mode" if all your spells prior were already FDK? What would the difference even be? If you can use FDK spells all the time without entering FDK mode, then FDK mode becomes completely redundant. Effectively, using Igneel's power would make you FDK mode by default. This is the exact opposite of what the manga portrays. Natsu was able to use Igneel's power to punch 6-8 times without ever invoking FDK. Then, after invoking Igneel's power Natsu had to go out of his way to invoke FDK mode.

We see Natsu use FDK spells without removing the bandages, which is when both Happy and Zeref recognize as the point Natsu started using Igneel's power. This is after Natsu just used a FDK spell in the minutes prior. Then in the fight against Zeref, Natsu used 6-8 punches before invoking FDK. Honestly, this alone should be enough to prove a distinction between FDK spells and Igneel's power.

Saying that FDK spells are done with Igneel's power is not proof that FDK spells are done using Igneel's power.
So you're saying Natsu used Igneel's power without using Igneel's power? How does that even follow? You're basically claiming Natsu suddenly realized over the timeskip that Igneel was the fire dragon King and thus decided to appropriately change the name of his attacks to reflect this but we see he still names his attacks as 'Fire dragon's' ... And only used 'Fire Dragon king's ..' a handful of times.
Also, we see a clear difference in power in spells that are names FDK as compared to those named FD. In fact, going by your own stand that the DS use their parent's power, then Natsu naming spells FDK would be redundant. If both his FD and FDK spells are supposedly mirrors of Igneel's power (without using Igneel's MP) then why is there a clear difference in the power of the spells and why a difference in names for spells of the same kind?
Anyway, this would obviously keep going in circles so we'll wait on the manga.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, the power Igneel left would obviously pale in comparison to Igneel's full power but doesn't necessarily mean it was a small amount left. Anyway, my point was that the fact that Igneel left some power doesn't negate that it was a ton of power compared to what Natsu's regular power.
Actually, some of Natsu's larger punches (such as the one he used against Alvarez troops) were almost on the scale of FDK spells (such as the roar). Yes, they were smaller, but not by much. Given the ease in which Natsu can cast those basic spells, I don't find it surprising at all Natsu can use FDK spells on his own.

You're simply selecting bits that are convenient for your point. I mean, whose words are more credible? A demon and a human turned dragon or an actual flame dragon? Why would Natsu ignore Atlas flame in the first place?
It doesn't matter that dragons weren't shown elements. This much is obvious considering we've barely seen dragons in the first place. Also, when atlas flame mentioned Igneel eating his flames, we were shown a flashback. It doesn't matter if you see no reason why another dragon should be able to eat Atlas' flame. AF himself immediately connected the sensation to that of Igneel and he mentioned his flames are powerful, apparently only inferior to Igneel himself.
I'm really not. This has nothing to do with credibility. Natsu probably wasn't paying attention back then because...well, it wasn't a super important fact. After Igneel died, Natsu had time to process things and train. I don't find it difficult to see why Natsu would renamed a few of his attacks in Igneel's honor whilst he was training at all.

Dragons can't eat elements as far as I know. Igneel was never shown eating Atlas Flame's fire. He was shown wrestling with Atlas Flame, and submitting him. Plus, it's unknown if that was an event that actually happened, or merely an artistic imagery.

Milky Way is still grandeeny's spell though and it's distinctive enough for Zirconis to recognize it immediately. Dragon slayers use their parent's elements, it's not the same as using their power. The difference is in the scale of magic which is why one might not immediately recognize a DS magic and connect it to the foster dragon.
Dragon Slayers use magic with the same QUALITY as their parents, not the same quantity. If I had a bucket of coca-cola, and you had a swimming pool full of coca-cola...It's still coca-cola.

So you're saying Natsu used Igneel's power without using Igneel's power? How does that even follow? You're basically claiming Natsu suddenly realized over the timeskip that Igneel was the fire dragon King and thus decided to appropriately change the name of his attacks to reflect this but we see he still names his attacks as 'Fire dragon's' ... And only used 'Fire Dragon king's ..' a handful of times.
Also, we see a clear difference in power in spells that are names FDK as compared to those named FD. In fact, going by your own stand that the DS use their parent's power, then Natsu naming spells FDK would be redundant. If both his FD and FDK spells are supposedly mirrors of Igneel's power (without using Igneel's MP) then why is there a clear difference in the power of the spells and why a difference in names for spells of the same kind?
Anyway, this would obviously keep going in circles so we'll wait on the manga.
No, I'm saying Natsu heard Igneel was the fire dragon king during the GMG. He probably didn't pay much attention back then. In the Tartarus Arc, that fact was cemented in his head. Then, over the 1 year timeskip when he was training, he decided to rename his most powerful spells to reflect that.

As for the reason why Natsu would rename the attacks: Power level. The only difference between Natsu's FDK spells and his normal fire dragon spells are the amount of power he puts into them. FDK mode is just a way of Natsu making sure he uses his most powerful spells all the time. It's the exact same thing with LFD. He uses LFD with his own power, and it's not as if he has to use the mode for him to use certain spells. The mode is just a way of making sure that all the spells are done with proper power-level. The naming of the spells are likely completely arbitrary. Honestly, Natsu probably just makes them up. The highest level of dragon slayer magic, dragon force, barely has the characters naming any spells. Igneel himself doesn't even name his spells. He just punches and kicks and roars. .

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
But that's just it. I don't see a reason to assume that FDK spells were done by using Igneel's power in the first place.

This is what I'm saying:
Base mode: Your default form. You can still use higher form attacks, but not all your attacks will be in that form.
LFD Mode: The form in which all your attacks are done using LFD spells
FDK Mode: The form in which all your attacks are done using FDK spells
Igneel's power: Igneel's raw magical power.

This is what I seem to be getting from you.
Igneel's power: The form where all of Natsu's attacks are done using FDK spells
FDK mode: Some form which drains all of Natsu's power when using his already available FDK spells.

I just don't see why that would be the case. Why would Natsu even have to invoke a mode for FDK if effectively all his attacks using Igneel's power is FDK? It defeats the entire purpose. Also, why would Happy/Zeref not recognize Natsu's FDK roar as a display of Igneel's power, but then immediately recognize the unraveling of Natsu's bandages as Natsu using Igneel's power?

I'll meet you half way on this issue. You can argue that FDK mode, in which all of Natsu's attacks are done using FDK spells, requires magic as powerful as Igneel's to sustain. However, in order for me to believe that all of Natsu's FDK spells must be done using Igneel's power I need to see 2 things:
1) All of Natsu's attacks done after unraveling the bandages must be be FDK spells.
2) All of Natsu's FDK spells before unraveling the bandages must be be Igneel's power.
The scale of natsu's attacks at this stage can potentially be misleading. Even in his base form he seems to surpass pre time skip gildarts after all.

Natsu has used a very distinct terminology when it comes to his attacks. He has in fact named attacks "flame dragon king's..." and he has also in fact used "fire dragon....". And every time he has used "flame dragon king's...." his power has seen a jump from immediately before. Even if it's not what I am suggesting, there should be a fundamental difference between them.

Isn't the implication of natsu using FDK mode that all of his attacks are FDKs? I don't see why his spells before removing the bandages must be with igneels power. And why the distinction of "igneel's power" and FDK? I would argue its the same thing in the end. My point here is not that natsu is entering FDK mode before using the bandages, but rather he is merely taking a small amount of power of the whole thing and using it to power up some specific attacks he has used. Only the attacks where natsu specifically said FDK would be like that. The rest of them would be his own regular power.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The scale of natsu's attacks at this stage can potentially be misleading. Even in his base form he seems to surpass pre time skip gildarts after all.

Natsu has used a very distinct terminology when it comes to his attacks. He has in fact named attacks "flame dragon king's..." and he has also in fact used "fire dragon....". And every time he has used "flame dragon king's...." his power has seen a jump from immediately before. Even if it's not what I am suggesting, there should be a fundamental difference between them.

Isn't the implication of natsu using FDK mode that all of his attacks are FDKs? I don't see why his spells before removing the bandages must be with igneels power. And why the distinction of "igneel's power" and FDK? I would argue its the same thing in the end. My point here is not that natsu is entering FDK mode before using the bandages, but rather he is merely taking a small amount of power of the whole thing and using it to power up some specific attacks he has used. Only the attacks where natsu specifically said FDK would be like that. The rest of them would be his own regular power.
I expect the difference between Natsu's normal and Fire Dragon King spells to be like the difference between his normal and lightning-fire spells from before the timeskip. I see FDK essentially as being the replacement of LFD. Look at the difference betwen his large-scale base punches and FDK roar. Whilst there is an undeniable difference in their power, the difference isn't so great that I can't believe that if Natsu doubled or trippled the amount of power he puts into his base punches that he wouldn't be able to match the roar. Given the ease in which Natsu can throw those punches, I don't believe that to be out of his abilities at all.

When Natsu is in FDKM all his spells are FDK spells. Problem is, he wasn't in FDKM when he first fought Zeref. I don't really see any reason to assume that all those unnamed punches he threw at Zeref for the first half of their battle were done using FDK spells, and Natsu threw like 6-8 of those. When you think about it, most of Natsu's punches when using Igneel's power were done without using FDK mode. Most of Natsu's FDK spells were done instances before he revealed Igneel's power to Zeref. That's why there is a distinction.

His spells before removing the bandages were not done with Igneel's power. That's what I'm saying. When he used FDK roar against the Alvarez troops, there wasn't any reaction from Happy about him using Igneel's power. It was only after he began removing the bandages that Happy clued into the fact Natsu was about to use Igneel's power. Similarly, Zeref didn't sense Igneel's power from Natsu until after he finished unwrapping the bandages the bandages. After Natsu revealed Igneel's power to Zeref, he didn't immediately start using FDK spells either.

iDooom

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
FDK spells being named the same way as FDK mode and Natsu saying that it was Igneel's flames suggests this.

Yes. This is what I'm trying to show.

1) According to you, Natsu's final unnamed attack in FDK mode was an FDK spell. So, Natsu's unnamed attacks after unraveling the bandages could also be FDK spells. And they have the same level of scale as FDK spells.

2) None of Natsu's regular attacks come close to an FDK spell.

Actually, some of Natsu's larger punches (such as the one he used against Alvarez troops) were almost on the scale of FDK spells (such as the roar). Yes, they were smaller, but not by much. Given the ease in which Natsu can cast those basic spells, I don't find it surprising at all Natsu can use FDK spells on his own.
They were actually a lot smaller, it's just a bit hard to compare them without landscape markers. FDK roar was so big that none of the individual soldiers were visible, and it carved a massive hole in the ground. None of Natsu's regular attacks did much ground damage and the Alvarez soldiers were still visible, as well as some rock formations. It's pretty much the same size difference as between FDK fist vs regular fire attack on the god. A few orders of magnitude (e.g. 10-100x larger, if not more).

I'm really not. This has nothing to do with credibility. Natsu probably wasn't paying attention back then because...well, it wasn't a super important fact. After Igneel died, Natsu had time to process things and train. I don't find it difficult to see why Natsu would renamed a few of his attacks in Igneel's honor whilst he was training at all.
This is purely your speculation. And Natsu wouldn't pay attention to information about the dragon that he was searching for...why?

As for the reason why Natsu would rename the attacks: Power level. The only difference between Natsu's FDK spells and his normal fire dragon spells are the amount of power he puts into them. FDK mode is just a way of Natsu making sure he uses his most powerful spells all the time. It's the exact same thing with LFD. He uses LFD with his own power, and it's not as if he has to use the mode for him to use certain spells. The mode is just a way of making sure that all the spells are done with proper power-level. The naming of the spells are likely completely arbitrary. Honestly, Natsu probably just makes them up. The highest level of dragon slayer magic, dragon force, barely has the characters naming any spells. Igneel himself doesn't even name his spells. He just punches and kicks and roars.
Or perhaps the FDK spells are named that way because they used Igneel's power. LFD with Natsu's power is different, and actually supports FDK spells being Igneel's power. Remember that LFD attacks with Laxus's MP were much much stronger than Natsu's base attacks. Whereas Natsu's LFD attacks with his own power are only a bit stronger than his regular fire attacks.