Editing Challenges | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Editing Challenges

Brede

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Re: Cleaning Challenge #01 - discussion thread

NeoShweaty said:
all didnt redo the lines in the middle panel of the page.
ALL the lines? but there's so many... :crying anywayz, i thought this was supposed to be an 'assessment' assignment for Fnucky and Shin to gauge the students' skills (or lack thereof...like me) before they get started on the actual 'lessons'? I don't know how to do maaaaaaany things. In fact, this is the 1st time i even use photoshop :smile-big

silveril

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France

time for me to help a bit xD:

about anti anti-alias and anti-alias lines: you see the line tool right? i'll suppose you are in the fill pixel mode.
okay so on the OPTION bar (right under FILE EDIT etc), you see weight (makes your lines more or less big), mode (just use normal.. cause you *can* use mode for the layers already), opacity (same as mode) and OMG "ANTI-ALIAS": now check it and your lines are in anti alias mode. uncheck it and you are in anti anti-alias mode

about the lines:
NO you dont have to do every single lines again.. but you absolutely have to redo all the broken lines, the lines that has that white dust on it (see mid pannel)
and remember to FADE the END of the line IF you redo all the line..

about redrawing:
1) the elbow: you did it way to long.. looks like he has a right arm that is way longer than the left one! check that.. (i use my fingers to see how long they should be ~ approximately of course)
2) for the katanas: IF you plan on redrawing those, i suggest you see other pages of the chapter to see how they are suppose to look like; if you cant find the right pose, you can also use the ANIME episodes (just pause it ^^) or the SENTEI PRE (you know those drawings that anime makers draw (or is it oda?..))[br]Posted on: 03-07-2006, 12:39:52_________________________________________________oh yeah and by the way:
Don't forget to REFRAME (2px lines) PER ROW!

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hrhr I dont have the anime/manga so it was quite complicated to redraw the parts...Just downloaded Volume 1 of OP and might start to read it if I got the time xD

Btw I would like to see this page cleaned by a "professional" cleaner =)

Well I gonna update my submission now because I found a couple of errors >.<

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

I was just commenting on what i have seen. You dont have to correct them if you dont feel like it and i was just talking about the fading lines. That would be far too time consuming to do all.

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

fading motion lines = 1 layer, white brush at the end of the lines; lower the opacity and smudge it.
takes 5 minutes per panel ~.~

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Just commenting, but I liked des and Jamie's cleans so far. Good job, I think! Of course you'd have to receive the final word from Fnuck... XD

And @ Brede, keep it up! :D

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

@fnuckale: i've handed in my 'homework' on the cleaning challenge #1 thread like des :smile-big

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

okay so for des, jamie and brede:
you know the lines beneath zoro's right arm? (7th panel) well it's suppose to be lines that shows that zoro's jacket is a bit bent.. dont do a whole straight line! .. and you also lost the jacket in the process of redrawing x)

Also, when you redraw those STRAIGHT motion lines, you should either well redo them all (takes a lot of time) OR use the Stamp tool:
how does this work? well first of all
• ALT + click on a line that is ORIGINAL
• press shift (dont move your mouse before pressing shift) and go down or up (toward the part of the line that is missing), by pressing shift your clicker goes vertically (well in fact 90°x angle from the starting point)
• click and move the mouse! and it reproduce at that place the same drawing that was where you ALT+click (and the surrounding of that alt+click point, if you move your mouse around..)

!HOWEVER! the shift technique may not work to get straight lines, because the scan is bent! In that case, you just have to follow the original line before clicking to copy the ALT+click path

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

that was part of his jacket? :blink :smile-big *runs off to try out silveril's tip*

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

yeah look at the other panel: he has a jacket that goes around ^.^,
or even at the left of the katana that is at his belt, you can see a small part of the jacket...
Also, where would you expect THAT part of the jacket to dissapear ^.^
Hope my small and quick tut is going to be helpful; and If you have ANY question about it just ask ;)

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

silveril said:
Also, where would you expect THAT part of the jacket to dissapear ^.^
erm...maybe it got torn off during the fight? :Haha

Jamie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

lo
Brede said:
erm...maybe it got torn off during the fight? :Haha
lol

I'm not submitting mine. Anyway it's already suppose to be due but I only did this for a practice. =)

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Jamie said:
I'm not submitting mine. Anyway it's already suppose to be due but I only did this for a practice. =)
Hm =/ your version already looked nice...

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

oh even if it's only for practice .. and if your are 1day late it's not that bad, and you should submit it over!
Because having Fnuck judgment WILL make you progress as he can see.. like every single details that arent right.. So you can only get something good out of it ;)

cobra2150

Reaction score
Country
United States

here is my attempt let me know what you guys think

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

cobra: motion lines in mid panel.. some have white noise on em
also the shirt line are wrong :O

anyway here's RUSH version (Twoflower did most of the work.. i just redid the elbow and redrew the swords)
sorry i forgot to keep the untypesett version... but you can still see the redrawing caus it didnt cover it much of it ^^
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/813/onepiecec416p132jv.png

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

...... :blink

One detail drew my attention ..... the sword grip....

Cobra has done it great, but in RUSH version the grip is all black with one white spot..... :p

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

that's because on the settei pre i saw it's all black ;)
but you are right cobra did a great job on it.. damn shoudv watched the previous frame :)

cobra2150

Reaction score
Country
United States

Well thanks for the comments... dind't know much of what I was doin cause I have never read one piece before so all I could go off of was this single page, and what I see of the shirt lines done on Rush's version, it does not look like he redrew the lines he just left what was their and redrew the rest of the shirt... correct me if I am wrong.

As for my take on the drawing of the jacket/shirt whatever it was I though that instead of it whipping around where you could see only the outside, I figured that it would show the inside of the shirt, cause when you make a movement like that the wind catches it and blows it open on one side and closed on the other, and it is closed on the other side. I toyed with the idea of making it look a dark grey (which I thought looked really cool) but figured that would be to close to coloring it rather than cleaning so I decided to put in some lines.

Oh and about those lines in the mid frame... ya didn't do anything to them, but I guess I should have, oh well, might just do somethin to pass the time.

Thanks for the comments though.

silveril

Reaction score
Country
France

well it can't be the inside of the jacket caus we see the zipper xD
for the motion line on the shirt we did do the motion lines longer.. but it can't be all the way, and it has to seem bent