Discussion - Erza Scarlet Thread | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Erza Scarlet Thread

sharkai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think she will get armor as I've been saying it would be pointless since that would practically the only armor she could use going forward but armor has been part of her identity. I think that both will get power ups it would be uncommon to say the least but Irene seems strong enough to justify it I am expecting a longer fight I'm betting on enchantment related power for Erza linked to her eyes as they have been a reoccurring thing with her. Wendy dual element and possibly dual Dragon force.
What would erza do with a powerup

Aconologia is only for DS
End for gray and maybe Lucy
Zeref for everyone.

So I don't see any point of powerup if she is just gonna remain irrelevant like mirajane

Libarian

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What would erza do with a powerup

Aconologia is only for DS
End for gray and maybe Lucy
Zeref for everyone.

So I don't see any point of powerup if she is just gonna remain irrelevant like mirajane
Honestly, this based on the idea that if she got a power up what would it to be enough to defeat Irene. I belive I said a page or so back that it make the most sense for erza to skip the final battle and hold down the base while laxus goes to help. Before her monologe the girls were having a heck of a time if that was the start of thing then powering up Wendy alone seemed lacking so I was thinking along the line of playing off the bond between the two and having them both save each other, but things change the avenues open now are less likely now Erza is much less likely to get something unless the eyes come into play.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, this based on the idea that if she got a power up what would it to be enough to defeat Irene. I belive I said a page or so back that it make the most sense for erza to skip the final battle and hold down the base while laxus goes to help. Before her monologe the girls were having a heck of a time if that was the start of thing then powering up Wendy alone seemed lacking so I was thinking along the line of playing off the bond between the two and having them both save each other, but things change the avenues open now are less likely now Erza is much less likely to get something unless the eyes come into play.
I personally think she will go half dragon or something
No point of her roasting in a dragon for hundreds of years
As for Wendy she is not a battle character. And I doubt she will out shine erza ever

Erza is one of the most important battle character
I don't see her missing the final battle. Not with mishma writing the manga anyway.
Laxus might have to the hold the base. No way a main character like erza won't be there.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
It is an "icone" but as 90% fights as armors are broken and it wins without them.
That is, mashima does not connect well to icone ..
Just as the spirits of Lucy were "icone" and now she turned into an Erza using reequip of clothes with powers of the spirits. And with mashima joking in the talking contented was copy implicitly.
Erza rarely wins a fight without her armours after they break. I'm struggling to actually think of one. Best I can go is when she beat Minerva in Tartarus arc with punches. Benisakura (red pants) is technically a requip. She uses her power for offensive purposes in her blade. At her most powerful, she's using Nakagami.

Lucy's Stardresses are derived completely by celestial spirit magic. Her spirits give her MP and abilities. She also summons spirits while using them to dish out more. I can agree that Lucy has added a different dynamic, but she's a celestial mage no doubt about it.

Erza is a knight by comparison. If her power up makes her stronger magically (something random to do with dragons) then that's good enough for me - she'll become a stronger wizard. If she gets a new magic that can work simultaneously with requip (similar to Lucy), I'm good with that too.

I'm just talking about my own preferences here, and I understand where you're coming from. I just disagree on a new magic being necessary, and I truly doubt Hiro will move away from Erza the Knight. Even Gray got DeSM, he actually used his Ice Make skills to create weapons out of Devil slaying ice.

GamerSkull

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure how Erza receiving a power-up might happen due to the current events. Like how would she receive a new armor set? How would she learn enchantment?

At this point, Wendy is pretty much the likeliest candidate for receiving some power-up instead.

Biri Biri

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I was looking for the Dragon Cry bit in the CR translations, it wasn't mentioned...

What I didn't notice when reading the first scan I saw was how Erza was shooting down everyone's suggestions. I know she's right, but this is a bit rich coming from her. Just a few chaps ago, she was going to pull a She's Erza on Acno. LVP of the chap goes to Carla for that comment right there.

Also Hargeon is like 330(?) km from FT. Mira and co are just flying there atm, so they must move quite fast. And they are going to get a boat, to put Acno on it? He fell for it once, so maybe he'll do it again.

For the next chapter, I'm hoping Brandish makes an appearance. She couldn't have walked too far.
Thanks for pointing this out. With the series about to be done and dusted with, I might as well address, aka rant about, the incorrigible character of Erza.

We should have thought nothing about her would even surprise the readers anymore. But no, because Erza Scarlet is a terrible character. Now, I'm just not out here to bash this chick for no good reason. I'm going to try to explain how she is bad, and how she could be made good.

To show how Erza is bad, let me use a character that is written well.

This is Wendy. She is faced with the challenge of preventing Face from happening before the diminishing time.

A good choice is when you have got a goal, you put an obstacle in their way, and a character has a decision to make between two valid options of getting around that problem. Depending on their prominence to the plot, these choices only happen a few times to each character. But when they do happen, they make the characters feel something. They also make the readers feel something as well. And that is what the readers want.

During the Tartaros arc. Wendy has to make choices which,

- reveal her character
- move the plot forward
- defy the readers' expectations

Here, Wendy has an inner monologue which reveals her character.

By observing her surroundings, she is able to connect the dots from the air nearby, to the Ethernano near Face. This shows a keen awareness, and critical thinking when under pressure. She contemplates mixing the two and utilizing it inside her body in a manner which Natsu theoretically does. And the readers are able to feel she has always been observing how Natsu fights, and that she has always been playing catch up. The readers are living through her, as they experience all these feelings.

On the subject of environment, such a power up does not feel random or forced, as it has been brought up in foreshadowing by other characters before.

Such monoglue within her shows the internal path she has to take before arriving to a decision. It's not a handout, where you receive gifts on a silver freaking platter.

Erza? She does not do anything like that at all. She makes choices that are forced on her. What we call plot reactions.

Beat Kyouka and stop Face? Or don't beat Kyouka and don't stop Face?

Beat Azuma and restore Tenrou Tree? Or don't beat Azuma and don't restore Tenrou Tree?

Yes, I'm positive those are very hard choices to make. :kappa

Plot reactions. Erza was put in a position where she has to do something. Or stay exactly where she is. And staying exactly where you are is never a choice. Because the plot is going to move without you. So she has to react. And just do the thing the plot is telling her to do. Therefore, these choices are hardly valid because they are no longer choices which reveal your character, but rather no-brainer.

Wendy, however, was unable to stop Face despite defeating Ezel. But due to Charle's prophecy and future sight, she was able to find a way of deactivating Face. This, comes at the expense of their lives. So again, Wendy has to make a choice here. A choice between sacrificing herself together with Charle, or for the sake of preserving the magic world.

These are two real options. We need to remember now that even without magic in the world, it is not fatal to magicians and they won't die directly from a result of that. But they will be weaken and as such, become susceptible to enemies' attacks. In other words, Wendy chose to prioritize the safety of her comrades over her own life.

As she flashes back to her past, the readers are able to go on an emotional journey, and feel the impact of Wendy and Charle's sacrifices.

Then Erza successfully defeated Kyouka. Of course, she did. But the timer still doesn't stop unless you kill her. She ran out of energy, so Minerva dealt the lethal blow.

But oh no, it has counted down to zero. So all magic is going to disppear from the continent? Well, guess we will find out in the next chapter of Fair . . .

Except the story instantly shifted back to Mard's altercation with the dragon slayers! And it was eventually revealed the parent dragons were already on standby, then show up right after that, and swiftly destroyed all Faces. So Erza's fight which was supposed to be the last one standing prior to Mard, the battle that supposedly determine the fate of the magic world, does not, in the grand scheme of things, actually matter one bit. It had no connection to any other element in the story. It did not move the plot forward.

It was like the fight was just there. It served no real purpose.

Wendy's fight with Ezel showed not only the threat of Face. It also showed us the gravity of the threat multiplied by a thousand fold.

And this moved the plot forward by reinforcing the threat of Tartaros.

Then we move on to the actual fight itself. The fight where despite being wounded and exhausted from her earlier fight with Minerva, and Kyouka had seemingly absorbed Seilah to boost her strength, Erza was utterly wrecked by Kyouka's abilities.

But something happened. Something that would make Shakespeare turn in his grave. Erza broke the rules of the logical confines of a story being told. She got up, despite losing all her senses, and proceeded to beat the tar out of the Kyouka. With the explanation being 'Because she's Erza'. The atrocity was unreal.

Here was Kyouka, or rather Mashima, letting us know what Erza is.

She does not feel any pain or fear. These character traits are what makes a human, a human. Not possessing these does not make Erza unique. No, they don't. They make her unrelatable. The readers are not able to register with Erza because she is an object. A terminator completely devoid of any relatable traits. And the sorry thing is, Erza has never changed one bit. Since the beginning, that is her in a nutshell. There is no growth to her character, no logic behind her, no emotional feedback between her and the readers.

On the other hand, Wendy grew. She went from someone who was scared stiff by bugs.

To deepening her resolve of fighting on her own two feet.

Because of the events she went through, and choices she had to make, she has transformed. She is still Wendy, but no longer the Wendy we knew. Same, but different. She reversed all expectations the readers had of her initially. And that, my friends, is storytelling.

Maestro216

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for pointing this out. With the series about to be done and dusted with, I might as well address, aka rant about, the incorrigible character of Erza.

We should have thought nothing about her would even surprise the readers anymore. But no, because Erza Scarlet is a terrible character. Now, I'm just not out here to bash this chick for no good reason. I'm going to try to explain how she is bad, and how she could be made good.

This is Wendy. She is faced with the challenge of preventing Face from happening before the diminishing time.

A good choice is when you have got a goal, you put an obstacle in their way, and a character has a decision to make between two valid options of getting around that problem. Depending on their prominence to the plot, these choices only happen a few times to each character. But when they do happen, they make the characters feel something. They also make the readers feel something as well. And that is what the readers want.

- reveal her character
- move the plot forward

By observing her surroundings, she is able to connect the dots from the air nearby, to the Ethernano near Face. This shows a keen awareness, and critical thinking when under pressure. She contemplates mixing the two and utilizing it inside her body in a manner which Natsu theoretically does. And the readers are able to feel she has always been observing how Natsu fights, and that she has always been playing catch up. The readers are living through her, as they experience all these feelings.

On the subject of environment, such a power up does not feel random or forced, as it has been brought up in foreshadowing by other characters before.

Such monoglue within her shows the internal path she has to take before arriving to a decision. It's not a handout, where you receive gifts on a silver freaking platter.

Erza? She does not do anything like that at all. She makes choices that are forced on her. What we call plot reactions.

Beat Azuma and restore Tenrou Tree? Or don't beat Azuma and don't restore Tenrou Tree?

Plot reactions. Erza was put in a position where she has to do something. Or stay exactly where she is. And staying exactly where you are is never a choice. Because the plot is going to move without you. So she has to react. And just do the thing the plot is telling her to do. Therefore, these choices are hardly valid because they are no longer choices which reveal your character, but rather no-brainer.

Wendy, however, was unable to stop Face despite defeating Ezel. But due to Charle's prophecy and future sight, she was able to find a way of deactivating Face. This, comes at the expense of their lives. So again, Wendy has to make a choice here. A choice between sacrificing herself together with Charle, or for the sake of preserving the magic world.

These are two real options. We need to remember now that even without magic in the world, it is not fatal to magicians and they won't die directly from a result of that. But they will be weaken and as such, become susceptible to enemies' attacks. In other words, Wendy chose to prioritize the safety of her comrades over her own life.

As she flashes back to her past, the readers are able to go on an emotional journey, and feel the impact of Wendy and Charle's sacrifices.

Then Erza successfully defeated Kyouka. Of course, she did. But the timer still doesn't stop unless you kill her. She ran out of energy, so Minerva dealt the lethal blow.

But oh no, it has counted down to zero. So all magic is going to disppear from the continent? Well, guess we will find out in the next chapter of Fair . . .

Except the story instantly shifted back to Mard's altercation with the dragon slayers! And it was eventually revealed the parent dragons were already on standby, then show up right after that, and swiftly destroyed all Faces. So Erza's fight which was supposed to be the last one standing prior to Mard, the battle that supposedly determine the fate of the magic world, does not, in the grand scheme of things, actually matter one bit. It had no connection to any other element in the story. It did not move the plot forward.

Wendy's fight with Ezel showed not only the threat of Face. It also showed us the gravity of the threat multiplied by a thousand fold.

Then we move on to the actual fight itself. The fight where despite being wounded and exhausted from her earlier fight with Minerva, and Kyouka had seemingly absorbed Seilah to boost her strength, Erza was utterly wrecked by Kyouka's abilities.

But something happened. Something that would make Shakespeare turn in his grave. Erza broke the rules of the logical confines of a story being told. She got up, despite losing all her senses, and proceeded to beat the tar out of the Kyouka. With the explanation being 'Because she's Erza'. The atrocity was unreal.

She does not feel any pain or fear. These character traits are what makes a human, a human. Not possessing these does not make Erza unique. No, they don't. They make her unrelatable. The readers are not able to register with Erza because she is an object. A terminator completely devoid of any relatable traits. And the sorry thing is, Erza has never changed one bit. Since the beginning, that is her in a nutshell. There is no growth to her character, no logic behind her, no emotional feedback between her and the readers.

On the other hand, Wendy grew. She went from someone who was scared stiff by bugs.

Because of the events she went through, and choices she had to make, she has transformed. She is still Wendy, but no longer the Wendy we knew. Same, but different. She reversed all expectations the readers had of her initially. And that, my friends, is storytelling.
*Insert clapping gif* Thank you sir. This is a beautiful and detailed explanation of character growth and the lack of such growth.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore

- reveal her character
- move the plot forward

This is remarkably well done. Thank you for such a deep analysis. I actually learned something today about Wendy (and Erza) and not many people can still teach me about fairy tail.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Erza...........definitely one of the top on my lists. The most hated list that is.

Since she's the second strongest character in the series, she should just go on and fight Dragon Acno, but she won't fight him because it'd be downplaying her to beat him in less than 2 panels.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States

- reveal her character
- move the plot forward

Dont understand at all
Why are comparing one of best wendy moments to one of worst erza moment.
Hell why are you comparing them at all.
Erza is character who was introduced as a super powerful character from the start. Like laxus.
Or she is one of the strongest main character like natsu. So these comparison make sense
You cant just compare laxus with lucy and then say lucy is the way character should be written.

Is erza a great character. Hell no
But she is average in story full with people like natsu gajeel and laxus.

Most of the fights in this manga has no real plot importance.

jetblackwings

Reaction score
Country
Serbia

- reveal her character
- move the plot forward

Erza is the only character in this entire manga that actually had to make a difficult decision LMAO. The only character we've seen struggle with making said decision and suffering the consequences of it. We all know everyone in FT would sacrifice themselves for the sake of their friends, Erza herself attempted it during TOH as well, it's really a no-brainer. But no one other than Erza had to make a decision to sacrifice a friend for the sake of her other friends. You could argue Lucy did so as well... but Lucy didn't let Aquarius get killed or anything. They'll just "never see each other again" (except we all know they will anyway). Funny how you take Erza's worst moment like it's the only one that exists. Selective reading at best.

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Erza is the only character in this entire manga that actually had to make a difficult decision LMAO. The only character we've seen struggle with making said decision and suffering the consequences of it. We all know everyone in FT would sacrifice themselves for the sake of their friends, Erza herself attempted it during TOH as well, it's really a no-brainer. But no one other than Erza had to make a decision to sacrifice a friend for the sake of her other friends. You could argue Lucy did so as well... but Lucy didn't let Aquarius get killed or anything. They'll just "never see each other again" (except we all know they will anyway). Funny how you take Erza's worst moment like it's the only one that exists. Selective reading at best.
Like what?
The only one I can think of is letting council have Jellal. Which meant nothing since Jellal got broken out of jail anyway. but yes it was an actual difficult decision when it happened in OS arc

What else?
Not asking it as a metric of what makes a ''good character' , since I can't recall any character in FT that made any prominent difficult decision. But still.

jetblackwings

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Like what?
The only one I can think of is letting council have Jellal. Which meant nothing since Jellal got broken out of jail anyway. but yes it was an actual difficult decision when it happened in OS arc

What else?
Not asking it as a metric of what makes a ''good character' , since I can't recall any character in FT that made any prominent difficult decision. But still.
That's what I was talking about. Yes he came back but Erza didn't know that was gonna happen, she still had to make that decision. Even Mashima himself didn't know (he said somewhere that he didn't plan on bringing him back), so it wasn't like the other fake deaths where he was just trolling. Plus that's the longest in FT a character's been "dead". He didn't come back the very next ep as with the case of every other fake death, you really couldn't tell if he was gonna come back. Erza was shown suffering not just the next episode but even an arc later Jellal was still occupying her mind.

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello people.

For me, Erza is a fascinating character and so I understand why she can be love as she can be hate.

Potentialy the strongest main character in the Manga, this power is only for her people, as the queen protects them, even if she has to die for.

Her past made her what she is now, some people died for her to live, so now, she has to live for them. This is why, in a fight against people, she refused to abandon or abandon people. And when she is facing people who is stronger, the power of her heart skyrockets her habilities to one shot who is a threat for her friend's life.

But even in his base raw power, she is one of the strongest characters, as she matched and tanked a crazy amped Laxus who wanted her to die, while she was fighting him as a friend, so she was barely holding back and accepted to abandon, because he was not her ennemy but she saw him as her replacement as the protector during her Journey. As a mental, she was in trauma and wanted to appear strong with armors but it was to conter the weakness of her broken heart.
Now she outpassed that as we saw her accepting to be "weak" at the look of her friends, falling at the Laxus' feet while Laxus tryed to look strong (fake) while facing her as an ennemi before falling a few secondes later.

She is the captain of the team and also plays as a older sister for Natsu and Grey for funny moments and looks so naïve for a good paradox to her autority mind.

While I prefer people like Laxus and Natsu, I think Titania is a good complexe character. So aye for the Queen !

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Erza...........definitely one of the top on my lists. The most hated list that is.

Since she's the second strongest character in the series, she should just go on and fight Dragon Acno, but she won't fight him because it'd be downplaying her to beat him in less than 2 panels.
I don’t hate Erza just hate how she wins her fights

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
I don’t hate Erza just hate how she wins her fights
Same. I actually don't mind her character itself, apart from the cringe friendship comments she make.

It's how her FIGHTS go. She's pretty decent when she's not having a fight.

Joyg

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
😂😂nice one...im so sick of these perspective clashes im reading..some are good some are bad others are wose..though they had there reasons but its still kinda u know frustrating haha,,yeah,people have different perceptions and standards and its normal to be proud of their own bias,but i just find it nonsense when they compare it unfairly with obvious tensions..i salute those who expressed their feelings well,in a way that is justifiable and humble😉😉fairytail members have their own special abilities, u may probably heard this lot of times but others are best at things like this while others at things like that ..so for me,,all of them(fairytail wizards) are equall for they are empowered by the friendship and those they hold dear.

Ps..sorry i just cant help myself say this..
FT fan..spreadlove no hate..i hope the possitive lessons from fairytail are what we adopted,❤

kenedyfake

Reaction score
Country
France
Erza is a character that I like ... a lot. She is the 2nd most popular character in the manga, in the last poll she only lost to Natsu. These 2 characters are loved, but they are also hated. It is the rule, if you are at the top, there will be a lot of people you love and also hate.