Favorite Drama | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorite Drama

Final Voting Round

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
One of the few people who dislike the show. huh? Why?
(
It´s a show whose characters either make or break it and for me, the characters and their problems seemed more ridiculous than serious to be honest. I mean, if you can´t empathize with the characters but instead have to chuckle, there is something wrong. Of course one might say that i could just be insensitive but considering other stories, no matter what medium, have managed to touch me, i don´t think that´s the case.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I definitely agree with you. I much prefer the first season (I didn't care about Hei at all in the sequel,) but I find Suou from the sequel such a brilliant character she is the one and only reason I nominated this series, since her development defines all the heart-moving drama in the show :3
Can't say I cared much about Suou, Yin's drama felt way more natural and better to me. But to each his own :p

It´s a show whose characters either make or break it and for me, the characters and their problems seemed more ridiculous than serious to be honest. I mean, if you can´t empathize with the characters but instead have to chuckle, there is something wrong. Of course one might say that i could just be insensitive but considering other stories, no matter what medium, have managed to touch me, i don´t think that´s the case.
I see. Well I think Sky had the same problem, I guess it just doesn't click with some people. Tastes are different after all.

Gotenkss

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I nominate OreGairu , Great Teacher Onizuka, Toradora

Solanin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I support Tokyo Magnetude 8.0

I nominate Kaiji and The Wind Rises

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppot Ano Hana, Angel Beats and Clannad after story. :D
Clannad After Story won last year, so you'll need to pick another anime to nominate instead.

Ummm. I'm going to support Ano Hana, Tokyo Magnitude, and Monster

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I nominate Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I nominate OreGairu, Toradora
Romance or comedy would be a more appropriate category for Toradora. Comedy would be more appropriate for Oregairu. While both have their share of serious moments, it would be a stretch to consider either of them drama. Please choose new nominations for this category.

---------- Post added January 08, 2014 at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was December 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM ----------

There is a ten way tie for fifth place. The winner of the tiebreaker poll will move on to the first voting round.

---------- Post added January 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was January 08, 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

Anything but Monster. Such a cliche, manga snob choice. Not a bad anime, but a boring candidate. Ano Hana is a classic, one of the most touching, lovely modern anime. It still has not won an Anime award. It deserves one, badly.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sticking with Angel Beats! though its a close call with Ano hana, both anime Ive rewatched, though was a bit more moved by Angel Beats. Ano hana was good but lasted slightly a bit too long.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Angel Beats was a good show. An Ano Hana vs. Angel Beats final would be ideal. Tokyo Magnitude would also be a good choice. Steins;Gate is a great show, but is more of a sci-fi series with drama. Monster is more mystery/thriller.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Angel Beats, my favorite anime ever, for me, a masterpiece. All chracters are really well developed and the reasoning for each of them to be there is sad and awesome at the same time. Yurippe, Yui, Kanade and Otonashi are the best ones. The other was less developed, but give good support for those four.

I also watched AnoHana and read Monster (even though I didn't watch it I can judge). The first is not that dramatic as everybody says for me. Monster isn't even Drama. lol

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I really enjoyed Tokyo magnitude 8.0, a great realistic show that describe a disaster quite acurately, with a sad end (though predictable).

Amazing op :

Last edited by a moderator:

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm still unsure if Steins;Gate can even be called a drama =/ The focus basically is elsewhere, more on the thriller/mystery and sci-fi side, drama is like a sub-aspect of the show. Definitely voting for AnoHana, which is excellent and pure drama all along.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
If I had been paying more attention I might have disqualified Steins;Gate for this genre. I didn't notice until after nominations ended. It is primarily a science fiction anime. It has more than it's fair share of drama, but calling it a drama anime is a stretch. The same thing happened in 2010, when Eva won. At least we got the category right last year. Too late now, and I am not going to try talking anyone out of their vote. If an anime has to win in a slightly inappropriate genre, at least it's a good one.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm still unsure if Steins;Gate can even be called a drama =/ The focus basically is elsewhere, more on the thriller/mystery and sci-fi side, drama is like a sub-aspect of the show. Definitely voting for AnoHana, which is excellent and pure drama all along.
If I had been paying more attention I might have disqualified Steins;Gate for this genre. I didn't notice until after nominations ended. It is primarily a science fiction anime. It has more than it's fair share of drama, but calling it a drama anime is a stretch. The same thing happened in 2010, when Eva won. At least we got the category right last year. Too late now, and I am not going to try talking anyone out of their vote. If an anime has to win in a slightly inappropriate genre, at least it's a good one.
I don't think it's a stretch at all, and that the 'drama' part of the show is as dominant as the other big labels that come with it. The top reason I love the protagonist so dearly (and hence the anime) is because of Okabe's struggle to bring Mayuri back from the route of certain death. This is also the reason why, although I do agree at face-value she is not as deep as a character could have been, Mayuri is the cause of Okabe's desperate actions, that which reveals the admirable qualities of this character. By putting aside the sciences and mysteries, I think the interactions between people do stand to be the message of the series, and everything revolves around such. We have:

• Okabe's fury towards Moeka (as well as his implicit desire to keep Moeka alive despite all else) and, later, his forgiveness in the form of acceptance by giving her the badge;
  • The struggle of Suzuha in her recovery mission (and later failure) as well as her 'reunion' with her father;
  • The struggle of Faris with the loss of her father, also in the apparent decision between her father's life and Mayuri's;
  • The often-overlooked struggle of Ruka's feelings towards Okabe;
  • The hidden struggle of Mr Braun that is heavily implied but not elaborated; and
  • The struggle of Okabe and disheartening failures in attempting to save Mayuri (and also Makise.)

The mystery and science elements are more like devices to set up for, develop, and elaborate the emotions, feelings, and actions of the characters at hand. These are the main events that take precedence in the drama side of the show, and it goes without saying, these struggles are the motivation for which the characters base their 'wish' upon (and ironically causing the death of Mayuri,) and it is exactly these wishes that set Okabe on a path in search for a solution, presenting the story as we see it. As the show proceeds towards the end, we see resolutions to not only the inner conflicts each one of them has, but also resolutions in the relationship between them and Okabe.

tl;dr
Strip the show of the sciences, we see struggles of characters in their relationship with other characters, their desires due to those struggles and unwittingly affect other characters, and their journey in finding resolutions to those struggles as well as to the characters whom they've come across on their journey.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It is true that there is plenty of drama in S;G, but the same can be said of any number of anime. Almost any space opera, or post-Gundam mecha, could be considered drama. Science fiction is still the primary genre, and Steins;Gate could also win that category. Allowing it to proceed blocked a few series that could only be nominated for the drama category. Ano Hana, Tokyo Magnitude, and Angel Beats had the most nominations in this category (S;G won the tiebreaker for fifth). All three are primarily drama, nominating them for any other category would have been a stretch. They all could potentially be blocked from winning any genre awards, while S;G wins two different genre categories, despite sci-fi being the primary genre. It's too late now. Steins;Gate was allowed, a win would be welcomed. Had I noticed I would have disqualified nominations during the first round.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
And I completely dropped the ball on this one as well since I initially classified S;G as a drama, though I do see Kait's point. I think when it comes to "Favorite [insert genre here]" categories, in the future we should take a closer look at what genre these series encompass best. I'm not saying it's unfair that S;G is in the running and could potentially win both "Favorite Sci-Fi" and "Favorite Drama" awards, but I agree that putting S;G in multiple categories (when it is more Sci-Fi) like this block contenders that could have moved on and could only fit a specific category.

But what's done is done. But I still think we should look at things more closely for next year in case we run into a situation like this.

So yeah. Sorry guys. D:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
And I completely dropped the ball on this one as well since I initially classified S;G as a drama, though I do see Kait's point. I think when it comes to "Favorite [insert genre here]" categories, in the future we should take a closer look at what genre these series encompass best. I'm not saying it's unfair that S;G is in the running and could potentially win both "Favorite Sci-Fi" and "Favorite Drama" awards, but I agree that putting S;G in multiple categories (when it is more Sci-Fi) like this block contenders that could have moved on and could only fit a specific category.

But what's done is done. But I still think we should look at things more closely for next year in case we run into a situation like this.

So yeah. Sorry guys. D:
It's not a big deal. This happens every year. Eva won "best drama" in the 2010 anime awards.