Anime - Game of Future: Hyoutei vs Rikkai | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime Game of Future: Hyoutei vs Rikkai

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Bro I appreciate your comments that are longer than the OVA.

Just by reading you the Toby match doesn't make much sense imo, not sure how he can overwhelm Yukimura like that or how he breaks out of Yips with his mental fortitude alone. At least he lost '-'

I recall mentioning the 4 gods ( and kings/anything) to Kaoz recently. Glad to see a representation but I'm not sure if fits Hiyoshi at all and the match seems a bit of a let down after that ridiculous tie break, this should had been s2 as we all expected.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Was Jirou even acknowledged as an alive person btw

Friss

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Was Jirou even acknowledged as an alive person btw
Yeah he actually has a decent amount of screen time for someone that doesn't play (same as Jackal) and not one second spent sleeping which is more out of character if you really think of it...

Just by reading you the Toby match doesn't make much sense imo, not sure how he can overwhelm Yukimura like that or how he breaks out of Yips with his mental fortitude alone. At least he lost '-'
Watching both matches it didn't seem impossible for Atobe to pressure Yukimura and both matches seemed pretty believable vs what we thought would happen.

mathematicianrcg

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
LOL.

Wow. Atobe really had a good game. Didn't expect that from him.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I mostly agree with Hardy's comments. Having heard some other commentary on it and seen some clips of the match, I think you're being very generous in your description of S2, Friss. At the very least it feels like Atobe got away with a lot of things for a lot longer than he had any right to.

If you think back to Yukimura casually swatting back stuff like Kintarou's Mountain Storm and dealing with tricky moves like Lightning with ease, it doesn't seem right that he gets overpowered by Atobe or drops his racket over and over against Rondo and its upgrades. Especially the way Gigue was presented stands out in this regard - Irie (with 1 Power) had absolutely no problems with that one for example and he was far from serious at that point.

TFJ

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so part 2 dropped today I'll put my comments in a spoiler tag but I will say that it was different than we expected. This is mostly based on memory so I'll come back with some updates watching through it again.

Singles 2 is actually Atobe vs Yukimura

Yukimura pulls a Ryoma and preempts Atobe's snap to end the Hyoutei chant and calls himself the winner. The catches Atobe off guard and ultimately yips him.

Yukimura goes up 30-0 with service aces as Atobe is yipped. Atobe starts to fight back but Yukimura comments that Atobe can't win playing like this and goes up 40-0. Atobe then comes to a realization he can't lose to a technique others have beaten and comes out of it with a Rondo towards destruction scoring a point.

Yukimura ultimately wins and we continue back and forth between the two with both winning their service games.

Over the course of this we see Rondo towards destruction, Fugue towards destruction and world of ice from Atobe. World of Ice reveals a small blind spot in Yukimura's backhand causing him to hit the ball out. Yukimura ultimately overcomes this with mirror mirage. Atobe's insight is heightened since he had all of his senses taken earlier.

Yukimura goes up 6-5 and Atobe hits Tannhauser service ace, on the second shot Yukimura returns it saying its the same principle as Tezuka's zero shiki. Now with no blind spots to hit to, Atobe uses Ice Emperor to create blind spots and push the issue. This ultimately results in a Rondo + Tannhauser which creates the image of a 2 balls and causes Yukimura to hesitate. Atobe's game.

Enter tie break

At 155-155 Atobe attempts Atobe Kingdom for the first time. Yukimura is prepared and was waiting for it and cuts own senses. While playing by only his muscle memory he creates a multitude of blind spots and basically overwhelms Atobe with the burden of choice and slows him down. Atobe acknowledges he doesn't know the pain of not being able to play tennis and that gives Yukimura a strength he can't have. This results in Atobe evolving and saying a kingdom is too puny and goes for Atobe Dimension (enter galaxy brain visuals).

Yukimura recognizes Atobe's grit and determination he noticed while playing alongside him at the Camp and sees him as a true opponent. Atobe attempts Atobe dimension one more time on a drop shot but it doesn't make it across the net and he loses 345 - 343.

Singles 1 Hiyoshi vs Kirihara

Hiyoshi surprises Kirihara out of the gate with his Enbu tennis but Kirihara adapts and starts catching Hiyoshi's shots to level up the score. Hiyoshi steps it up another level and takes the first game. On Kirihara's serve Hiyoshi hits a Rondo towards destruction surprising everyone. Annoyed Kirihara uses his knuckle serve but Hiyoshi's martial arts training has him ready to hit it back. Thinking its a fluke Kirihara tries again only to have his knukle serve bounce come back at him due to Hiyoshi not changing the spin at all. Up 0-40 Hiyoshi hits attempts another Rondo but Kirihara is able to grab his racket back but Hiyoshi actually hits the Fugue instead going up 2-0.

Mad about his own strengths being used against him Kirihara goes devil eyes but is actually in sane devil mode/angel mode (white aura). And easily has the edge on Hiyoshi and goes up 4-2.

Hiyoshi starts to think he will lose and Atobe snaps him out of it and reminds him what he is trying to do and reinvigorates him. So he unveils his Four Gods Enbu, Byakko (White tiger). This shot allows him to put a lot of force behind a shot and its like "being hit by a tiger" (nice tiger visual as well). The score goes 5-4 Kirihara and Sanada comments that Kirihara needs to defeat that move to win and Kirihara finally figures out a solution - hitting the ball before it gets to its strongest. Hiyoshi is very tired and doesn't hit his Four Gods Enbu. Kirihara asks for him to hit it again but only for Hiyoshi to attempt Four Gods Enbu, Suzaku (Phoenix) but falls to his knees too tired to continue. Kirihara wins 6-4.

It ends with super fan service of them at some resort and hot springs spa. Niou makes an appearance in the after credit scene.
Lame.

I know the manga is still ongoing, but essentially we see nothing new from the training camp that we haven't already seen. So it is just complete gan service, and I guess it is nice that Hyotei has someone to take up the mantle (even if his opponent was gimped).

Also. Now people can just break out of Yips so easily I guess.

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Just think this is not canon and the new move they gave Atobe is completely different than the one he’ll show in the manga. Even if Yuki did show his recent upgrades there’s no way he loses points to Rondo and his upgrades, he seemed helpless against them when he should be able to return them easily right from the get-go.

Atobe breaking out of Yips that easily doesn’t seems right. I reckon he can do it but not this fast. And Yukimura should be able to return Tannahuser consistently at this point and not lose points to it like this.

The long tiebreak was unnecessary though. Either way, remember that Tezuka was falling into the yips even in TnK, as Yuki stole his senses at the minimum chance he had. Atobe would be yipped in the long run again an unable to keep fighting.

This was just fanservice all over. Had Konomi been involved 100%, the score would been something more realistic from the Manga perspective. Something like 6-2 or 6-3, not 7-6 after an eternal Tiebreak.

Last edited:

Waterlinkedgirl

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
While I did very much enjoy the match for what it was, agreed here too. I would have liked it better if Atobe fell to the Yips in, say, the fourth game and had a legitimate moment of mental panic and struggle to try to break free from it. As it is now, it really felt like a "now that we got that over with..." moment, which is a shame. Further, my most painful point must be the constant hand smashing. Nationals Yukimura would not even have fallen for the Rondo, and certainly not as many times as shown here like what Yuki babe please work on your grip strength if anything bc no. At a few points, it looked like it could be framed as Atobe outsmarting Yukimura, but to this degree was certainly frustrating to watch.
I did like that Yukimura played aggressively from the start, was visually dominant whenever the flow of the match was on his side, and was excited by having a good match.
But on the other hand, concerning the world cup techniques... He used Mirage Mirror to counter Atobe's single weak spot vision much too late, since what Atobe pulled there was as similar to Tezuka's Phantom as the Tannhäuser to zero shiki, and Yukimura should probably have seen through that by experience alone. I... don't think the writers understood Zero Senses Tennis, because I'm moderately sure that's not how it works. And they really missed the opportunity to play into the title and have Yukimura steal Atobe's future, building on what Yukimura showed against Tezuka.

Atobe Dimension is just the HvR equivalent of extinguishing the dinosaurs so in spite of how it's not at all shown what it does I'll let it slide. The blizzard effect of Atobe Kingdom and how Yukimura stood amid it when overwhelming Atobe mentally with choice were quite cool (ha) though.

Hiyoshi's tennis is supposed to be based on Okinawa martial arts, so while I did find that China brought the somewhat related practice of feng shui to the Ryukyu islands, I'm very unsure if I can relate the thing with the 4 cardinal gods of the wind directions to his tennis. It feels appropriately old-Japan, at least. Funnily enough, it also draws a bit of a parallel to Sanada's fuurinkazan.
The thing with Hiyoshi returning the knuckle serve because of his martial arts experience is something I agreed with, the fact that he outspeeded Kirihara for a good while before I most definitely call bullsht on, especially given that concentration and reflexes were supposed to be Akaya's stronger sides.
Since Konomi confirmed Akaya really can't go into Angel Mode without Shiraishi, I'd rather bet on it being something like muga or his new move Concentration Burst.

Ice Falcon

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, thank you Friss.

LethalHawk basically said everything I wanted to say, but I'll just add...

Yeah...I'm not buying it. Atobe shouldn't be able to just break out of Yips. If Tezuka, Sanada, and Ryoma couldn't just break out of it, Atobe shouldn't be able to either. I get it: all of his matches have been extremely close. But this should have been the exception. I'm not bashing Atobe. He's a strong player. But this should have been more like 6-2 or 6-3 rather than 7-6.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain

Somebody has uploaded the entire match of Atobe vs Yukimura.

Also both OVA episodes with spanish subs can be found here:

Last edited:

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
What other school matches do you wanna see? Hyotei vs Shitenhoji would be the main one now for me now.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
What other school matches do you wanna see? Hyotei vs Shitenhoji would be the main one now for me now.
I kinda curious on the level of Zaizen. I think he is one of the best Shinten Players. But he didn't have the chance to shine against Seigaku. (We know Tezuka VS Chitose Doubles Match that is really singles)

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
It's kinda funny thinking back people saying Atobe shouldn't be much of a challenge for Yukimura. When it seems to be the other way around now.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I kinda curious on the level of Zaizen. I think he is one of the best Shinten Players. But he didn't have the chance to shine against Seigaku. (We know Tezuka VS Chitose Doubles Match that is really singles)
I mean there's no way Zai is stronger than Shiraishi, Chitose and Kin. And I don't see him negating Hadous. But Kenya implied Zaizen is stronger than him, at the very least, so he has that going on for him. The captain stories made me really like Zaizen.

I would had loved to see Koishikawa do absolutely anything, IIRC Konomi had planned stuff for him but the Hyotei rematch made him squeeze a bunch of concepts into Shiten.
It's kinda funny thinking back people saying Atobe shouldn't be much of a challenge for Yukimura. When it seems to be the other way around now.
Lmao facts. Let's wait and see what upgrade Toby gets out of his arse first I guess.

kishin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
First of all, thank you Friss.

LethalHawk basically said everything I wanted to say, but I'll just add...

Yeah...I'm not buying it. Atobe shouldn't be able to just break out of Yips. If Tezuka, Sanada, and Ryoma couldn't just break out of it, Atobe shouldn't be able to either. I get it: all of his matches have been extremely close. But this should have been the exception. I'm not bashing Atobe. He's a strong player. But this should have been more like 6-2 or 6-3 rather than 7-6.
I realize i'm late to this discussion. By the time I post, Atobe has seen his future self.

Atobe didn't completely break out of Yips, Yuki turned it off.
It was mentioned that Atobe initially got around to avoid his yips ( not conquering illusionary yips), by using a sense that (yukimura could not take. implied) Not sure if this meant his 6 sense or his Insight sense. Yuki noticed Atobe is still able to play tennis and turned it off. I do recall Yuki turns it on and off during the match vs Tezuka in U17 multiple times, but I think Atobe's ability to use his work around probably doesn't favor yukimura to use it. In the whole match, both players continuously counter each's others special moves with counter special moves or each player adapts to the special move so sometimes it doesn't make sense to keep using it.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well, I cannot believe Yukimura cannot handle Rondo Destruction and it's different variants instantly.

It should be a piece of cake for him.

On the other hand, Atobe didn't use the Infinite Evolution he used against Romeo too.

Atobe just used Ice Emperor instead Of Absolute Zero.

AND IT WORKED?!

A simple Ice Emperor get past Yuki Easily. When Yuki is described to be able to return simple special shots like that.

But in the end

Yuki Won, but I think Atobe should have Won after that powerup against Romeo.

What a turnaround.

Before the Atobe Romeo Match

Posters here wants Yuki to win convincingly like 6-3.

But just because of the fight against Romeo. Atobe is seen as the stronger player now. Lol

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well, I cannot believe Yukimura cannot handle Rondo Destruction and it's different variants instantly.

On the other hand, Atobe didn't use the Infinite Evolution he used against Romeo too.

AND IT WORKED?!

A simple Ice Emperor get past Yuki Easily. When Yuki is described to be able to return simple special shots like that.

But in the end

What a turnaround.

But just because of the fight against Romeo. Atobe is seen as the stronger player now. Lol
That’s not canon, the powerups are very different, Atobe doesn’t have infinite evolution. Canonically, Yuki would deal easily with Rondo.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That’s not canon, the powerups are very different, Atobe doesn’t have infinite evolution. Canonically, Yuki would deal easily with Rondo.
Yes. Heck, Yuki did not even use Dream.

Or maybe Atobe cannot use Future Self because Yukimura Can Steal his Future? LMAO.

Yuki did use Zero Sense and Mirage Mirror though.

Still, Atobe in GOF is way weaker than Atobe against Romeo

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I realize i'm late to this discussion. By the time I post, Atobe has seen his future self.

Atobe didn't completely break out of Yips, Yuki turned it off.
It was mentioned that Atobe initially got around to avoid his yips ( not conquering illusionary yips), by using a sense that (yukimura could not take. implied) Not sure if this meant his 6 sense or his Insight sense. Yuki noticed Atobe is still able to play tennis and turned it off. I do recall Yuki turns it on and off during the match vs Tezuka in U17 multiple times, but I think Atobe's ability to use his work around probably doesn't favor yukimura to use it. In the whole match, both players continuously counter each's others special moves with counter special moves or each player adapts to the special move so sometimes it doesn't make sense to keep using it.
No problem being "late" at all!

When did Yukimura turn Yips "off" against Tezuka? I'm not even sure he can do that at all, it happens naturally when playing against him, it's not a skill. It doesn't have any sort of drawback for Yukimura so no reason not to keep "using it", either (unless he feared Atobe would get stronger fighting Yips).

AND IT WORKED?!

But in the end

What a turnaround.

Atobe got the benefit of playing in the finals, yeah.

Before Semis it was an easy W for Yukimura. After Semis it was no-contest. Now... the tables have turned, since Atobe got a time-skip buff. Considering he cannot maintain it there's a chance Yukimura can win if the match is prolonged for too long, but if it's a single set Atobe should stomp.

And yes, Yukimura should had returned all of Atobe's skills with little effort and yet stupid Rondo that hasn't been relevant since PoT got past him. Cashgrab OVA is wild.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

When did Yukimura turn Yips "off" against Tezuka? I'm not even sure he can do that at all, it happens naturally when playing against him, it's not a skill. It doesn't have any sort of drawback for Yukimura so no reason not to keep "using it", either (unless he feared Atobe would get stronger fighting Yips).

Before Semis it was an easy W for Yukimura. After Semis it was no-contest. Now... the tables have turned, since Atobe got a time-skip buff. Considering he cannot maintain it there's a chance Yukimura can win if the match is prolonged for too long, but if it's a single set Atobe should stomp.

And yes, Yukimura should had returned all of Atobe's skills with little effort and yet stupid Rondo that hasn't been relevant since PoT got past him. Cashgrab OVA is wild.
Yeah. I mean even in Intra Tourney. Yuki doesnt have any powerups that is significatly better than his semis self.

Others had.

Duke had a Buddha Kijin Powerup

Tokugawa had a Righteousness Avatar Powerup

Fuji has New Attacking Techniques that can combined with his counters. He is almost equal to Ryoma.

Ochi Unlocked Faster Mach with Mouri

Sanada was Mastering Triple Clutch

chikkychappy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score

In Tenipuri they seem to talk about Yips being a skill. The interviewer asked why Yukimura needs Yips when he can just win without it, and Yukimura said something like, "to assure victory" or something.

It's clear now that Konomi wants Atobe to always be Tezuka's eternal rival. He brought him up to Sanada's level in the Nationals, and then now elevated him to being the best MSer in the WC (Ryoga aside) with Tezuka as a not-distant third. I guess the signs were already there when both had the highest base stats in the beginning of the camp (at 23.5, although Yukimura at 23 was nerfed by his disease). His suffering in the entire NPoT especially against Irie all built up to this massive massive payoff.

I love Atobe (my Tenipuri husbando), but Konomi needs to give my fave Yukimura respect to his name. He's been walked over by the three main characters already.

Last edited: