Gecko is bored, go post something~ | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Gecko is bored, go post something~

What should Gecko read?

• Total voters

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Re: Gecko's Library~Come in and enjoy a book!

[Cross];1511512 said:
So you've become a mod, you're certainly moving up in the world, congrats.
I tell ya, before you know it, he's red and the site's name has become "Geckosparadise"

Raysen_ht

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Hi Moria-sama (must say that i dont like this character..he is my least favourite Shishibukai).
Anyway... here is a question that i basically ask every mod (probably cause i think its the best aspect of becoming one :p):
Why dont you have a cool subnick? Something like... The Shadow Puppeteer, or Zombie Master, or whatever?? Letting it say "MangaHelper" its like wasting an opportunity to be creative :amuse

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

My dream job is to be a college professor; history, political science, or economics. Writing, at some point, becomes part of the job.
:cheerbunny YAY for sharing your vast knowledge with others, Kaiten! Best of luck (not that you need it, you got skill :D) on your endeavors to be a professor.

I've been working at a bookstore for about two years now, exposed to pretty much every book that comes out. Sometimes I can't help myself, or get brain washed into buying things. I still read more manga then anything else ;)
I used to read more novels than manga, but that was when I was in primary/intermediate school with close to zero homework. Then, I entered high school and meet the beast named EXAMS. The true tragedy of my life. I read more manga now because it takes less time and is just as appealing as a novel.

I tell ya, before you know it, he's red and the site's name has become "Geckosparadise"
Wha...?! How did you know Blai? :o

Hi Moria-sama (must say that i dont like this character..he is my least favourite Shishibukai).
Anyway... here is a question that i basically ask every mod (probably cause i think its the best aspect of becoming one :p):
Why dont you have a cool subnick? Something like... The Shadow Puppeteer, or Zombie Master, or whatever?? Letting it say "MangaHelper" its like wasting an opportunity to be creative :amuse
Hello Raysen_ht-san. The origin of my user-name isn't really so much I like the character, but rather an encounter with fate (random luck). When I first joined the manga community a year and a half ago (I'd been reading manga for longer than that of course), Gecko Moria was the first name I saw since this was when the One Piece Thriller Bark arc just started. When I registered, I was pondering what to use as a user-name and the name Gecko Moria just floated in :amuse Also, I find geckos to be interesting creatures. As to your question about the MangaHelper user-title, it's not because moderators are uncreative and can't think of a good one, but rather because we find it's easier for users to distinguish us. As you might know, the moderators, trans-mods and manga database all share the same color now, so the only way to tell us apart is by user-title.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I knowz them people!

Anyways, do you practice any sport gecko? :d like soccer or rugby? ;d

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

I knowz them people!

Anyways, do you practice any sport gecko? :d like soccer or rugby? ;d
I watch soccer and rugby but I'm not to fond of playing due to bad experiences in the past. A sport where your opponent is on the other side of the net is more preferable. I play tennis and ping pong for my school.

EXAMS! :darn

Now that exams are over and I have more time to read, I've decided to pick up one more series from my "things-to-read" list. Problem is, all three of the manga I have been recommended seem to be very interesting and after reading a few chapters from each I actually can't decide on which one to start reading. So, any help would be appreciated as I think I don't know enough about any of the three series to make a good decision. The three series are Psyren, Hitman Reborn! and D.Gray-man.

PS: I added a poll to make easier viewing. A good reason as to why the series is good would be much appreciated too :D

PSS: Feel free to recommend anything else besides these three as well.

Last edited:

ibra87

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Gecko's Library~Help Gecko decide on a new manga to read!

Erm, let's see:

D. Gray-man: Good series, I watched the anime which was good, but first part was filler-intensive and second part ended abruptly because of low rating. Manga should be pretty good though.

Hitman reborn: Also pretty good, but start may be slow since first part (a nice amount of volumes..) composes the "daily arc", introducing all the characters and environment, before starting the typical shonen arcs with bang bang boom. If you're up to surviving through the first volumes or at least enjoy that type of slow arc then Reborn is recommended. The anime show has taken the liberty of not putting the slow parts in one go but randomly after each serious arc. Both anime&manga recommended.

Psyren: Erm, it had a pretty interesting beginning but recently it hasn't impressed as much as before. Probably the type you need to read more than 1 at once to enjoy. Still good and recommended.

Winner: D.gray-man(Reborn IF you don't mind a slow start).
Psyren: Runner up, mostly because it's still new with 90-ish chapters.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I second D. Gray Man. A good dark action shonen, a little more complex emotionally than average. Definitely one of the genres must read. I'm a big Psyren fan, not as essential as DGM but still a great newer series. The start is a little slow; at some point the mangaka realized he didn't need to make it a tournament manga and the plot really took off. Reborn starts fantastic, as more of a comedy series, develops into an excellent battle manga, but has devolved into cliches and plot holes over the last year IMO.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Oh, frankly speaking, I haven't read the rest yet, but DGM got the nods from me because it's more emo than the rest of the other shonen series I've read and even the anime is just awesome (if you skip the fillers). So, based on the votes, have you tried reading anything yet? ^^

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

Yar.. you should read D.Gray-Man. It's not that bad, and the main villain group right there seems not to be such fodder, like in some other mangas v.v

Awkay, got some questions for you.

you're modding Bleach section, iirc, so what is you favorite character? your favorite Espada? and lets not forget about Hachigen (!) whaddu you think about him :tem

What kind of music do you enjoy in your freetime?

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

Oh, frankly speaking, I haven't read the rest yet, but DGM got the nods from me because it's more emo than the rest of the other shonen series I've read and even the anime is just awesome (if you skip the fillers). So, based on the votes, have you tried reading anything yet? ^^
I've started reading D.Gray-Man, just finished Volume 12 a couple of days ago (Chapter 118 approximately). D.Gray-Man is an excellent change to the series I usually read, it has a "darker" plot, but is just as interesting. After proof-reading one of the chapters for Binktopia, I also read a couple chapters of Psyren.

Yar.. you should read D.Gray-Man. It's not that bad, and the main villain group right there seems not to be such fodder, like in some other mangas v.v

Awkay, got some questions for you.

you're modding Bleach section, iirc, so what is you favorite character? your favorite Espada? and lets not forget about Hachigen (!) whaddu you think about him :tem

What kind of music do you enjoy in your freetime?
Favorite character: Toshiro Hitsugaya and Rukia Kuchiki.
Hitsugaya's ice powers are extraordinary and Rukia has a lovable personality.

Favourite Espada: Ulquiorra Schiffer
IMO Ulquiorra has the most spectacular release of all the Espada and I despise Kubo for killing him so fast.

Hachigen: Minor character who has recently attained unnecessary attention.

Music: I don't have a particular type of music that I enjoy. Sometimes people recommend songs to me (so feel free to suggest) or I stumble upon one that I like by chance. For example:

Where is the Love?
21 Guns
Ocean Avenue
Reason
Ash Like Snow
...wide variety of songs

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Gecko's Library~End of School

I've seen some of the reported posts; any idea why Hachigen has gotten so much attention lately? There are some passionate fans, apparently.

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

I've seen some of the reported posts; any idea why Hachigen has gotten so much attention lately? There are some passionate fans, apparently.
"Passionate fans" :amuse overestimated Hachigen to the point where the ideas posted became too opinionated and resulted in serious disagreements within the thread. All the drama is viewable here. Due to the unacceptable amount of reports from that thread, it was shut down.

godofthesunn

Ghosted
Reaction score
Country
Finland

Geko should read none of the above and instead check out Hajime no Ippo. Thee finest sports manga ever.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

"Passionate fans" :amuse overestimated Hachigen to the point where the ideas posted became too opinionated and resulted in serious disagreements within the thread. All the drama is viewable here. Due to the unacceptable amount of reports from that thread, it was shut down.
That is insane! I've never seen so many people getting so opinionated over a minor character. Pairings? Yes. Major arguments about plot? Yes. Over a character of Hachi's stature? No. Amazing. That could have been a fun thread too >.<

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Favourite Espada: Ulquiorra Schiffer
IMO Ulquiorra has the most spectacular release of all the Espada and I despise Kubo for killing him so fast.

Talking about Ulquiorra, I've only recently catch up to his ending and I find it unsatisfying as well. I wish the whole thing could be more dramatic and he could have been one of those last villians they fought with.

Btw, why the name Gecko Moria? (oops assuming it hasn't been asked before)

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Talking about Ulquiorra, I've only recently catch up to his ending and I find it unsatisfying as well. I wish the whole thing could be more dramatic and he could have been one of those last villians they fought with.

Is Gecko Moria your favourite OP character? Hence, why you have chosen it as a username?

Akiyama

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

What is your dream job?
Anything you are good in school?
Have you read DGM yet?

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

His death was especially disappointing because he was actually one of the characters in Bleach that had depth. As with all the Espada, Kubo built Ulquiorra to greatness and provided a less than satisfactory death.

I joined the manga community back in July 2008. That was about when the Thriller Bark arc started in One Piece, with Gecko Moria as one of the main antagonists. When registering, I just went with the first name that came to mind. I wonder what the story behind your username is, Nami :p

Is Gecko Moria your favourite OP character? Hence, why you have chosen it as a username?
No, my favorite One Piece characters are Luffy, Aokiji and Hancock.

What is your dream job?
Politician or chef

Anything you are good in school
Subject-wise, English and Japanese. In terms of sports, tennis and table tennis.

Have you read DGM yet?
Yes, currently up to the part where Cross defeats Tyki and Allen enters the 14th's room to play the piano (Volume 14). I am also watching the anime.

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Gecko's Kitchen~Cook up a storm!

Do you like to sing in the shower? If yes, whats your favourite song to sing in the shower? :XD

If no, why not? :XD

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Re: Gecko's Kitchen~Cook up a storm!

Hello Gecko!

I haven't been in this thread :facepalm. How are you doing?

Random questions:

What are you reading currently?
What are you watching?
Your favorite anime and manga?