Info - General Artists' Studio Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info General Artists' Studio Discussion/Hangout Thread

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: General Digital Art/Photoshop Discussion/Hangout Thread

was bit bored and tried to rebuild the face of an old art to make it more realistic. started with the eyes, over the lips and heh.. got stuck on the nose :darn

tutorial would be sweet :facepalm
I think the shadow on the nose tip goes too far up or is too pointy, but I suck at that category anyways :D

I'm still busy with that shot of Guts over Bazuso... grew to over a 100 layers and almost 300mb now... (partially due to size 3500x5500)

Here's a current state:
(The smoke has some funny parts in it right now cuz I used bevel and emboss for the last step which doesn't suit, gotta get an alternative for it)

Still gotta make another mask for the background knights, add some scratches to all armor parts, possibly redesign all of the right side wall, correct some details on Guts, add alot of blood on his sword, add a roof to the small tower on the left side, make proper smoke, add alot of fire on the left side, think about the sky and get some kind of concept of the lightning... enough to keep me busy for decades :s

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

3500x5500 srsly? a hell lotta ram u must have then :D
Cant work on 1000x1500 properly with my 2gb

the fire and smoke looks like pasted from a picture. dunno, try to blur it or i dunno to make it look more fitting into a manga.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hey, maybe someone could look in here again, as I have a question :amuse

I'm quite sure these days that I'm fine with "normal" eyes, but I've no idea of those supersized eyes like those of Nononono. This is what I made of it for now:

Is that ok? Does perhaps someone have a good tutorial how to make them?

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Are you looking for a coloring tutorial, or just a good solid drawing tutorial for over-sized eyes? or both?

As for the pic, you might want to try making the green (Iris) part of her eyes a tad bit more prominent - with all the black, it makes them look rather dark.If you start with a base color for the Iris first ( and then add in the darker areas), this might help avoid overly dark eyes...

Though, I haven't drawn or colored anything in a rather long time, so please feel free to take everything I said with a grain of salt. XD

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Only for oversized eyes actually. Yeah this is a lot of black, but I couldn't really think of a different solution. Just increasing the thickness or make it a full circle both looked terrible, what might've been due to my bad though.
Thanks for the answer however :)

On the other hand I'm thankful for any kind of input of tutorials. Not for the very basics like outlines, selection and colour layers, thanks I already know that stuff, but perhaps tutorials one or two steps further. After all I'm still mainly proceeding in a trial-and-error style.

If somebody knows a good one, no matter in which field, I'ld be glad to get a link :)

Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I agree with Vintage.I think you should add more green.Make the line thicker or something.Maybe you could show us other versions of the eye.You said that you tried something didn't you.

hanaogi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Just some info about PS and Illustrator that should prove interesting to y'all. My husband teaches Photoshop among other programs, and we have both worked in graphics for 22+ years. I've worked on and off, he has worked consistently in graphics is more correct… point being, I have a different experience of program use than y'all do.

COnsider learning and using Illustrator for your line work, you may find it easier.

When using the pen tool, it can be difficult to control; if you draw a curve, it will break into points that can be separately manipulated if I recall correctly. Also, you can define a curve by placing points on a curve and then manipulating the vectors until you get the right size. Of course, sometimes it's just easier to use the 'shapes' tool and not worry about anything but sizing.

Also, you don't have to use the pen tool; if you hold down the option key on Mac, and I don't know what key on a PC (never used PS or Illo on PC), you will get the pencil tool. And there is an eraser tool that works very well on the pencil tool.

It's also important to define the point size for your lines, and you can determine that size by using a decmal number like .o2, a REALLY thin line which would ease up some of the blur it sounds like you are getting, or one of the presets.

Another thing that I notice most fan art needs to do is use a line smoothing filter; the lines appear very rough, and rather than 'blurring them' you want to 'feather' them.

Also, if you learn to use your layers tool, it will make cleaning a lot easier- you can open a layer, color it white, open another layer (make it CLEAR- in fact, every additional layer needs to be 'clear), simply cut the image you want, place it on the layer, clean it, add another layer for text or whatever. The important thing is that you put only a few parts on a layer so mistakes are easier to track and correct. And the reason the upper layers are clear is so you can see everything until you reach the 'white' layer.
You can actually set a filter for the texture of the paper now too, if for example you wanted a rice paper effect in the background because there are fabric curtains or a bamboo effect for walls or exteriors. You can take your own photos and use them as layers.

Another method I have been meaning to try out is masking. There is some very good information on Illustrator at the Adobe website- http://tinyurl.com/67qe86 and since you can also mask in PS, check here http://tinyurl.com/y8t686o

At any rate, masking is a technique that allows isolation of specific areas of a drawing or photo, which you then can alter as desired.

I hope this has been helpful, and if anyone has questions I'll be glad to find the answers, and I will be even happier to provide a list of book titles used for teaching…

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

Y'all are all real kind to say thanks for this post. I appreciate the notice!

I will be taking Illustrator and Photoshop at the pro level this term for my BFA, so I will post about what I learn as often as I can, so keep an eye out for me!

BTW, I really do sound like this- I am a Texan with a grandmother from Kentucky and my best friend, with whom I grew up, and her parents started out in Tennessee!

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

hanaogi, I really appreciate your input here. There are too little skilled people sharing stuff like that, whyever.

Definitely keeping both eyes on you, post more if you are willing to and got enough freetime. I found the post above helpful and would love to read more soon. :)

hanaogi

Reaction score
Country
United States

Dear EvilEye,

glad to be of help- what in particular was heplful so I can look further into that specific and see waht else I can dig up on that point?

---------- Post added June 08, 2011 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was June 06, 2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

shoot, the thread had been inactive for so long, I wondered if anyone would ever see it. Soon as I get up to date on the new tools and such I will post more on bot Illustrator and Photoshop. IF I get to go to the National Association of Photoshop Professionals with the spouse this year, I'll try and get a couple of pros to look at some MANGA, and give me some hints- if we are lucky, may a post or two.

Wayne

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Thow this Thread is Old might i recommend you use Manga Studio its just like Photoshop only it more tailored to drawing And Story Telling if you get my Drift

thare 2 versions of Manga Studio Debut and Ex Ex is the Full Featured ie Advanced version of Debut Debut tailored to Beginners

Url is http://manga.smithmicro.com/ Or you can buy it anywhere online cheaply normal recommended retail price ranges between 40 to 80 usd or lower depending ware you get it from

And for colouring thares an easy to use paint program called Sai http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

Ey! Probably you have seen the colour spread of One Piece chapter 703. This is it:

I'm impressed for this particular effect in Nami's shoulder.

I wonder how would be the process to get that effect of transparent shirt. The skin behind the shirt keeps its colour, and I think that must be very difficult to do. Can anyone offer an explanation? :-) Thanks

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany

It's very simple and i can do a step by step if you want. Maybe later.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

I would appreciate it. It could be only a short description (when you have the time), I'm not an artist, I only wonder how could that be done. :-)

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

I miss Robin on that picture xD

I always love Oda's panels, the art is cartoonish but still gives that real feeling out of it.
Though I wished I could draw women as good as he does xP

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

and...?

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Google is forgetful xD Pm him to make him remember hahaha

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

The notification soft is doing it. :-)

Arctigor

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

can I haz a question?
so here are for ex. these two avies

as you can see, there is a certain texture on both of the avies...can anyone help me how to do that in photoshop? or send me a link or whatever...
thnx in advance...:D

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Google is forgetful xD Pm him to make him remember hahaha
Woops. Well, if you are still interested, yesterday I quickly did something. I'm not really good at explaining so just ask if you didn't get something.
Here goes:
So, first you have the outline.

Next you color the arm. The part beneath the sleeve shines through, so you just draw it with color and leave some parts uncolored because the shirt is not completely transparent.

Now you add the color of the shirt and let it flow into the skin. Just combine them. You can leave some parts white for a shiny effect.

Now you add some darker colors to give it a little more depth. The shirt needs shading after all.

Last but not least you can apply some white for the glossy effect. And the shadow of the shirt, which I forgot earlier.

It's really not that difficult. I'm out of practise, so it doesn't look all smooth, but that's the gist of it.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu

I thought he meant the thin lighter lines over the avys xD
If that's the case, then you need to create a new pattern on photoshop, and then add it as a new layer on top of your avy, prolly using a multiply mode or something.
Here's an example (tutorial).