Info - General Artists' Studio Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info General Artists' Studio Discussion/Hangout Thread

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: General Digital Art/Photoshop Discussion/Hangout Thread

I thought he meant the thin lighter lines over the avys xD
If that's the case, then you need to create a new pattern on photoshop, and then add it as a new layer on top of your avy, prolly using a multiply mode or something.
Here's an example (tutorial).
I was referring to the post at the top of the page.^^
But cool! I was wondering about that as well. Might even try something and see if I can find a simple way to answer his question. If he still needs an answer after your post that is.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

The notification soft is doing it. :-)
Meant to quote you.

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

Woops. Well, if you are still interested, yesterday I quickly did something. I'm not really good at explaining so just ask if you didn't get something.
Here goes:
So, first you have the outline.

Next you color the arm. The part beneath the sleeve shines through, so you just draw it with color and leave some parts uncolored because the shirt is not completely transparent.

Now you add the color of the shirt and let it flow into the skin. Just combine them. You can leave some parts white for a shiny effect.

Now you add some darker colors to give it a little more depth. The shirt needs shading after all.

Last but not least you can apply some white for the glossy effect. And the shadow of the shirt, which I forgot earlier.

It's really not that difficult. I'm out of practise, so it doesn't look all smooth, but that's the gist of it.
Wow! you're a master Googlez!!! Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

Arctigor

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

I thought he meant the thin lighter lines over the avys xD
If that's the case, then you need to create a new pattern on photoshop, and then add it as a new layer on top of your avy, prolly using a multiply mode or something.
Here's an example (tutorial).
thaaaanx a lot...I think that answers my question...xDDD
it's just what I was looking for...

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Right now I'm trying to get a hang of traditional art, but eventually I would like to try digital as well. What are some good programs that are out there? I've heard about SAI and Painter; I already have Photoshop CS4.

I'm only drawing as a hobby so I don't want anything too expensive. :sweatbunny

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hai Asarii!

I don't think you would need another program if you already have CS4. I guess you could consider getting a graphics tablet/drawing pad to connect to the computer if you want to explore drawing freehand digitally. I'm sure you can find cheap pads that do that no need to go for the high end ones. If you have Corel Painter then that's one of the better programs to use for your needs. You should consider another program called Artrage. Apparently, that's a good one to use for freehand drawing whether it's with the mouse or a pad. Either way, whether you stick with your current programs or purchase a new one; you'll need to spend an extensive amount of time just getting grips with the tools. Then, it'll become a lot easier for you to feel comfortable with drawing, painting or whatever you want to do! =D

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

I recently came across Mischief.
I really liked it because it's vector based, so you can scale the drawing as much as you like, the zoom is infinite. It's super light, and it's still on version 1.10, so there's a lot of space for improvement, but I think it has potential.
Sharing it, if anyone would like to try it out...

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Can you please put your spam somewhere else? TYVM.
Was so excited to see activity in this thread, then it was just you.

Anyways, found a quiet nice looking tutorial for editing photos, but not much time to look into it yet. Maybe somebody else is interested as well. Here's the url http://www.learnphotoediting.net/?hop=catardat

NaruSaku8

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have Photoshop. Could some one make a logos for me?

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Re: Need help with female proportions. Thanks in advance.

I made a quick sketch on the main measurements on a female body based on the head size. The whole body would have 7 and a half heads of height:

But one of the main things I think you have to keep in mind, is the relation between the upper body and the femur. The femur is the longest bone in the human body, but you have her knees really high in your drawing. The upper body and the femur have basically the same length. Also, the upper body of a woman is smaller than that of a man. The waist is more thin and higher than a man's too.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This thread's died out ;-;
So let's try and revive it :D
What is everyone's most proficient area of Art? Mine's Photography

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I have changed from digital to canvas, which I didn't pick up for at least two years too now. The drive is gone...

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Can anyone help with shading? I got a pic hanging for a year now in my unfinished works, only the BG left. My brain ain't getting there anymore in concern of light source/falling shades.

Here's what it looks atm]

So obviously the problem is, that it looks like she's hovering above the ground without anything, whereas she needs to have sitting shadows. Anyone has a suggestion how I can make it better, than the horrible attempt I had so far?

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Can anyone help with shading? I got a pic hanging for a year now in my unfinished works, only the BG left. My brain ain't getting there anymore in concern of light source/falling shades.

Here's what it looks atm]

So obviously the problem is, that it looks like she's hovering above the ground without anything, whereas she needs to have sitting shadows. Anyone has a suggestion how I can make it better, than the horrible attempt I had so far?
If you have a figurine which looks like the character, you could try to use a light to make the shadow , then you take a photo of it and try to do the same thing, no?:doge
No, really i don't know how to work with shadows:nah
Or else you could change the form of the butt?

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Haha, no I don't. If anyone knows where to get good tuts in relation to that, I'd be happy. That stuff never came naturally to me.

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Well, the light should be at the left, doesn't it?
Maybe, make a new page, then copy paste the girl, reverse her and you'll may get your shadow:invalid

Last edited:

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Well, the light should be at the left, doesn't it?
Maybe, make a new page, the copy paste the girl, reverse her and you'll may get your shadow:invalid
Yeah, I'll try something like that now.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Progress documentation...

That was really easy to use and I think it looks already much better. Way better than the blobb that I made myself with my mouse for sure.

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah, I'll try something like that now.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Progress documentation...

That was really easy to use and I think it looks already much better. Way better than the blobb that I made myself with my mouse for sure.
Wow,it looks awesome Evil:zomg
Glad to see it worked:hee
Now i have to find a way to get Photoshop :worrybunny