Discussion - GIMP - Questions and Discussion | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion GIMP - Questions and Discussion

genosaur

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
gimp question :)

So I'm using GIMP on the mac for typesetting a chapter of a manga but when I open a cleaned page I saw like, REALLY VISIBLE "white-outs" in the bubbles.
Not sure if you get what I mean so you can view a sample of it here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102951685218987620596/Typesetting?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWghuOZ2orGjQE

But when I tried viewing it on other applications (E.g. 'Picture Viewer' on Windows, 'Preview' on mac etc) you can't see any of the "white-outs".
So just wondering how to solve this "white-outs" problem?? Does it have something to do with the layers or something?? Or something GIMP does?? I just really want to get rid of the "white-outs" and typeset in peace..
(PLEASE NOTE THAT IM USING GIMP SO THE SOLUTION HAS TO BE SOLVED BY/VIA GIMP AND DONT TELL ME TO USE PHOTOSHOP BECAUSE I DONT HAVE IT).

Also, I've tried just putting the text on top of the "white-outs" thinking that it'll disappear once I save it as a psd..but it didn't work.

Would appreciate the help!

DrPepperPro

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: gimp question :)

If the cleaned pages are in a non layered image type (jpg/png), then the white boxes are probably there in the image when not viewing it in GIMP, however different methods of rendering the image might be making it harder to see the difference between the background color and the white box. Or if they're already a layered image (tiff/psd/xcf), then possibly the image viewer can only show the base layer.

In either case though, to fix it level the page with the Colors > Levels menu and move the white slider on the left of the Input Levels Section inwards until the background is white also. And probably do the same with the black slider if necessary.

Savino

Reaction score
Country
Norway

Hmm if I understand you correctly, its probably because Gimp doesn't support Adjustment layers. And thats pretty sad. You will have to ask the Cleaner to flat out the leveled layer.

Hope this was the answer you needed ;)

Raenef

Reaction score
Country
Germany

ok major problem for gimp and typesetting is that u cannot work on the typesetting again after you did it meaning there cannot be qc that is my stand of knowledge

i would tell you to borrow photoshop from a friend, *cough cough cough* or buy it

Savino

Reaction score
Country
Norway

Nah Raenef, Thats only if you save as .psd, which is not the actual format you should use for images with layers. Its only a little extra thing which makes it possible to work with Photoshop users. Its not something they care about (the Gimp team) so much as gimp has its own one called .xcf. So if the quality checker would use gimp to QC and they would be saved as .xcf, it would be no problem.

Raenef

Reaction score
Country
Germany

if he uses gimp if not it doesnt work ^^

Riker

Artist
Reaction score
Country
India
I will check out the tutorials here.

sunohonmy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know how to clean transparent text bubbles with gimp???

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Anyone know how to clean transparent text bubbles with gimp???
The same way as in Photoshop? Redraw...

Can't really say any specifics without a sample.

You can read these as a reference though: