Question - Grammar Thread: Grammar related questions and discussions | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Grammar Thread: Grammar related questions and discussions

pelicanj

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Grammar Thread

I'm still very inexperienced, and probably can't phrase what I'd like ask, but I understand the following:
『This』 is equivalent to 'this'. And 「this」 is equivalent to "this".

I'm practicing translation using a manga that makes more use of these quotation marks than I've seen in my limited attempts at Editing other titles. I notice that some Manga Editors ignore these and compound it into a sentence, which isn't a bad thing, and others incorporate them freely with regular quotation marks in the language being translated to («this» being an example in French), but others also leave it in the Japanese form as a novelty.

I'm actually not a fan of leaving the quotes in the Japanese form since they take no effort to translate and can mislead readers into mistaking their context, but that's beside the point.

I guess what I'd like to ask is, am I doing the right thing if I incorporate them as often as they appear? And what differences are there to be found in the usage of the primary ( 「」) vs the secondary (『』) marks?

It feels like there's a greater difference in usage between the two, although I've seen the secondary quotation marks often used as 『[Reference to another work]』 in some news articles and essays I've tried reading. What I'm wondering is more to the context for these as "hook brackets" vs "quotation marks".

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated, if I what I asked wasn't too vague.

pelicanj

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
[tmod=mikkih]OP EDIT

Please use this thread to discuss any grammar related issues.

[/tmod]
I'm still very inexperienced, and probably can't phrase what I'd like ask, but I understand the following:

I'm practicing translation using a manga that makes more use of these quotation marks than I've seen in my limited attempts at Editing other titles. I notice that some Manga Editors ignore these and compound it into a sentence, which isn't a bad thing, and others incorporate them freely with regular quotation marks in the language being translated to («this» being an example in French), but others also leave it in the Japanese form as a novelty.

I'm actually not a fan of leaving the quotes in the Japanese form since they take no effort to translate and can mislead readers into mistaking their context, but that's beside the point.

I guess what I'd like to ask is, am I doing the right thing if I incorporate them as often as they appear? And what differences are there to be found in the usage of the primary ( 「」) vs the secondary (『』) marks?

It feels like there's a greater difference in usage between the two, although I've seen the secondary quotation marks often used as 『[Reference to another work]』 in some news articles and essays I've tried reading. What I'm wondering is more to the context for these as "hook brackets" vs "quotation marks".

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated, if I what I asked wasn't too vague.

[tmod=mikkih]This post was moved from TA mainboard. Original title: Help [JP] Please help me to better understand quotation marks/hook brackets. A copy of the post has been posted in this thread after this OP edit.[/tmod]

Last edited by a moderator:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Grammar Thread

「『』」 = " ' ' " : (like you mentioned)
「急がないと。母さんが『すぐに帰ってらっしゃい!』って言ってたよ。」
"We need to hurry. Mom said, 'Come home immediately!' "

『』= underline:
『』are used for titles of books and other publications. 「」are used for indivisual chapter titles within the books.

A single Japanese sentence can go on and one and takes up more than 1 panel. It generally sounds better when you break up the sentence in English, so you probably want to change the sentence structure. (It also sounds better in English when you use active voice when you translate even when passive vocie is used in Japanese.) There are a lot of differences between the 2 languages. Make sure you don't toss in English punctuations just because the raws use 『』or「」. As long as it's not too awkward or difficult to read, how often punctuations should be used would be your personal preference.

pelicanj

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

Okay, that confirms what I'd already suspected.

But what about when the brackets are around a noun or phrase? Should I take it to mean the same as it would in English?

EDIT: I'll just be honest. The manga I'm practicing on is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. If you're familiar with it, then please give me advice on how best to deal with all the hook brackets to be found in this series.

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Okay, that confirms what I'd already suspected.

But what about when the brackets are around a noun or phrase? Should I take it to mean the same as it would in English?

EDIT: I'll just be honest. The manga I'm practicing on is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. If you're familiar with it, then please give me advice on how best to deal with all the hook brackets to be found in this series.
Jojo is great :^_^ , but I have only watch the anime. I am sure there are a lot of other members who have not read the manga. You may want to post some actual examples, so that it would be easier for others to respond to your questions.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

There are so many different types of brackets. Which ones are you talking about now?

Here is a link to wiki for your reference. 括弧 [ link ]