Discussion - How did you come across Manhwa? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How did you come across Manhwa?

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Manhwa, the little brother of the Japanese Manga. Not as popular, not as famous, but sometimes, just as high-qualitative.

Even so, Manhwas isn't super-easy to come across (unless you are on a forum, like MH :thumbs) so I was merely wondering - how did you come across Manhwa, and which series was your first?

Personally I tried out The Breaker after the bums in the Fun Forum spammed about how awesome it was in the different threads... aaaaaand they were right :sweat
After that I tried out Noblesse, Veritas and Freezing and am now stuck :D

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Re: How did you come across Manhwa

I started with Veritas, I don't exactly remember who, but someone recommended it to me. I read it and from the very first chapter, I loved it. Afterward, I tried different series like The Breaker, Kisswood, Blast, etc. and really find them interesting. For last few months, I have been more inclined to read Manhwa then Manga.

shinsengumi

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Re: How did you come across Manhwa

i started with The Breaker and Veritas , followed by Witch Hunter .. AND THEN i met with Shin Angyo Onshi and it showed me there are masterpiece level manhwas out there , now im in search for them

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I started with High school ( a good manhwa licensed in french since fews years but kinda new in english ). After high school i didn't paid any attention to manhwa until i discovered the breaker, then i started to read alot of manhwas: veritas, ID, Ares etc.... and i liked almost all the manhwa that i read.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
as for me i scanned through the One manga site when it was going on and randomly picked one up
bit by bit it impressed me and later got to read veritas which really hooked me up in this kind of comics

evolwizard4

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Guam
It was unbalanceX2 for me. I waited for two years for that story to continue then it went downhill.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
My first manhwa was Noblesse. I didn't really remember what brought me to read it. I was just playing around MH when I noticed the Manhwa section. I browsed through name of the series, then I saw Noblesse, read the description, and thought of it as quite interesting. More since I am somehow interested in reading stories about vampires. And so I go. XD

Ever since then, I have only checked two more manhwa: Tower of God and Bride of the Water God. ToG is just awesome like Noblesse, while BoWG feels a bit depressing to me. I'm planning to check more manhwa at the future. ^^

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
My first Manhwa was Noblesse because I was intrigued by its high place in popularity page. It introduced me to the concept of web comics. Shortly after the manhwa section of MH was created and I followed the advice of the section senpai. And I must thank all of them for their good choice, because I have discovered great series.
Now I go take a look regularly to EGScans new releases and I have to say that this group is doing a very great job.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Got lucky :) I was trying out mangas randomly, as i often do, in one of the hosting sites(i don't remember which, probably onemanga or mangafox). The name Veritas sounded interesting. Then the art seemed really nice. And the plot started really fast. And then i was hooked :) Though its still not like i search for manhwas particularly. After finding veritas, i did particularly looked for manhwas at one time and everyone was talking about the breaker, which i didn't like very much.

Black Hawk

Reaction score
Country
Germany
For me its very easy to across with manhwa. On the German market u can find a few manhaw series they got distributed.
Like the Thread start post say, the Quality is sometimes very High. In the series Shin Agnyo Onshi the Background Design was full of detail. The complet Story was a brilliant work of drawing. Incredible good.
The other Story is Majeh or in U.S. and Europen market King of Hell. I like it. The Comedy is fantastic also the Humor of different Charachters. Reminds me a little bit of inuyasha and Beelzebub mix.

Sema

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I was going through onemanga at the time looking for something to read after reading a Naruto chapter then I discovered Legend of maian, from there I discovered other manwha like Defense Devil, Tower Of God, Noblesse, Kubera, Crepuscule etc

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
I say thanks to MH. I just felt ignorant reading only manga, so I picked up Noblesse (has it's own subforum, +name and annotation, yeah I love the stories with cool characters and an aristocrat sounded great.. and he is) and :nowei Addiction is here~

It was something new for me (webtoon, and colored!), but I'm loving this style.

Now I'm starting Breaker and then will move to other famous pieces, probably ID and Veritas.

So thanks MH :XD

WordlessDemon

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I came across about the manhwa world 6 months or so ago, i really didn't care about if it was manga or manhwa i read all what i find XD. The first manhwa i love the manhwa design most of them have game designs (or the games have picked the manga style i don't know) so i like them a lot the first one was King of Hell then The Breaker,Freezing, Veritas and Witch Hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zatono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't really say I came across it, but I can say that Charlie shoved Noblesse down my throat :p

No regrets though.

matzik1212

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Romania
My 1st manhwa was The Breaker and i instantly feel in love with it . Then i started searching for more manhwas and discovered Noblesse , Ares , Shin Angyo Onshi, Tower of God etc
I can say manhwas are my next favorites after One Piece and Naruto :D I'm really glad i found out about them . But still i think no matter what manhwa i read my favorite will always be The Breaker , the best manhwa of all times IMO :blai

4gh4st

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
For me it all began with Jack Frost thanks to Yen Press I started getting into Manwhas pretty quickly. Then, all of a sudden, my love for manwhas grew so much that I stopped reading manga. I think the only manga I truly enjoy is Durarara!! and Solanin, other than that, I'm more of a manwha fan now.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been a long time, so I can't even rememeber for sure which the first Manhwa I read was.

Either The Breaker or Veritas

Both of which I was only vaguely aware was Manhwa at the time but I didn't really make a note of it. I read some other manhwa along the way too (Ares, ID, Freezing, and Shin Angio Onshi ) but I didn't really get deep into manhwa until later.

As a rabid Naruto fan, at the time I spent most of my time discussing that series but when it started becoming something I didn't like so much I started looking for somewhere else to shift my attention. At some point somebody mentioned Noblesse to me (pretty sure it was Charlie) and I was really pulled in.

After I started reading that, various people recommended Tower of God, which I didn't want to read at first because I thought the premise sounded too..."weird" I guess. But eventually I caved in and found I really liked that too. From then on Manhwa had caught me. I started giving more and more manhwa a try and suddenly all my favorite series were manhwa.:^_^

Last edited:

ielblowhaze

Reaction score
Country
United States
My best friend and i loved vocalic and all things otaku. She came across black haze which to me a long time to get into but soon it became my favorite followed by tower of god, crepuscule, and kubera. Now I am an active manwha fangirl.

Shader

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello everyone, my name is Shader and im Manhwagolic.
Veritas brought me here, it is realy a shame we are not gonna get second part, i realy liked it.
After Veritas i tryed NoBless...and didnt realy liked it..it was kinda...meh... then i accidently read the first part of breaker (whole in a couple of days) and after that i found out mangahelpers got a manhwa section with breaker discussions in it, so i stick around, then i started tower of god (wich imo got more lightheaded as time passed) then Jammin's signature got in my sight...and well...yea...now amount of manga and manhws i read are equal.