Discussion - how to deal with loneliness | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion how to deal with loneliness

helixis

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Simply a discussion how to deal when you are feeling lonely. Let's hear what you say!

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Remedy for lloneliness

So.... a way to deal with the loneliness of not having a special someone without having a special someone? Good luck with that one. Let me know if you find anything good. As far as I can tell the obvious answer is that to not feel loneliness then you simply shouldn't be lonely which is basically get a boyfriend (or in my case a girlfriend). Its not about getting over the loneliness but rather not letting it get to you and move on. Or is the issue more about feeling lonely due to a particular breakup?

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Well, I would go for the indirect approach, that is devoting yourself to something else. A modern term would be hobby, and hobbies can go from sports to music, to art, to anything else like walking, hiking, basically taking on an adventure. Though a lot depends on your work, the problem might just be with the work itself and that is a killer. You see, when one is not searching for love, special relationship and that sort of thing, you get turned to the adventure side or the contemplation side of life. Starting to learn something new, though as a hobby, I mentioned sports, music, art, all are a good way to get pass something for the time being. But for a bigger change to this, it takes the Magellan approach, so bored and lonely, you need to travel the world? :D That is just a metaphor for a more adventurous life.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

It's really difficult to find a solution to cease loneliness if your wishes are still become a single yet you want someone to be your partner simultaneously. My advice is be grateful that you have friends and family members who are care and willing to share the experience with you. Some people suffer worse feeling of loneliness than you are, being secluded from the society because of either intrinsic or extrinsic situation. By being grateful of your condition however miserable that is, that loneliness feeling would cease to exist. Also, don't try to curb your feelings for someone. Instead of forgetting him/her, such action would amplifies your desire to become his/her partner thus make you more feeling "lonely".

Besides that, I agree with Jos's comment, have hobbies, focus on them. If you have something that you love to do, do it, before you regret in the future that you wish you had enough time.

helixis

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Particular breakup?
Yeah, That reason is also a good Idea!

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Loneliness ? Define what you mean by it, if you mean not having a gf/bf or whatever of the sort then idgaf about that, or socializing with people you don't share the same interest just to not feel lonely that's not good either

I can say I'm pretty much like a lone wolf, I don't like crowded places, going to cafes and such, I don't like talking non stop either... By normal standards, I would be considered lonely although I've never felt it, I enjoy doing things myself, no one bothering me etc

Doesn't mean I can't talk to people or any of the sort, even tho most of the time I'm silent hehe

But in case someone do feel it, as Josef K mentioned, one should try to make himself busy : hobbies, charities, or even travelling if you have enough money to do that

As for breakups... Hahahaha that one is a bit tough as you'd need time for that, and well... personally, to cut ties with the ex for some period, just talking with each others as " friends " after a breakup would never ever help someone get over it (and neither does drinking too), and the moments when you miss your ex are the moments when you find yourself doing nothing (aka not being busy), and if you want to cry, do it, don't feel ashamed, it helps a lot

My 2cents

powil

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan

Staying away from the internet/computer helps, (in my case at least!) :)

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria

Getting a pet works for some people, their love is unconditional, well as long as you feed and walk them (in case of dogs) which can be a great way to get to know people as well.
Then there's concentrating on something else like Josef already mentioned, that would only distract you though and certain events like a friends marriage make you realize your loneliness - in case you still have friends and don't work all the time and devote yourself to something.
And lastly, there's also technology:

Last edited by a moderator:

otomo20

Reviewer
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

try getting a pet, they do wonders for lonliness, but no matter what I dont think you can find a substitute for a significant other.

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

Learn to love yourself and your own company. Someone posted this once in the quotes thread and I LOVED it. "If you're lonely when you're alone, then you're in bad company." Everyone gets lonely every once in a while (possibly even if they have a special someone), but to be lonely all the time is ridiculous and a waste of time. Chances are, you will not be single forever. One day, you might fall in love with someone and have to dedicate a lot of yourself and your time towards that person.

So ENJOY being single. I know I do. There is so much freedom and opportunities in it. I haven't had a boyfriend since I was 18. And let me tell you, I rarely get lonely. I love going to movies alone and shopping and painting and reading.

Now that I mention it, reading is a big one. Also, try falling in love with music. No matter how lonely you might feel, listening to a song you can relate to proves that somewhere in this world, at some point in time, there has been another person that felt exactly what you feel right now.

Relationships are OVER-RATED! :nod

Good luck with your story-writing!

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

A fun activity I like to do when I'm alone in the car is sing a fun song that I love really loud. Sometimes I like to serenade the people next to me at the stop light, even if they don't notice, it's still fun.

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock

First of all, go die and rot somewhere, because that will be your weak spot from now on. Every bitter word will have a pressing the button effect on your loneliness. Soon after, the hard pressed wound will heal up and you won't feel what it was like to have that wound anymore.

Then, if you are really having an underwhelming, dull life, over the time, you will feel like missing how that wound felt. So yeah, basically, the second step is missing the pain your loneliness used to give you. But seeking for it won't do any good. Just accept it; the pain has already withered away.
The next action is obvious. Rip apart whatever ties you have with your friends. This will give you the pain you need to move forward. Do that and disappear. Until you feel like showing up again, for new friends that is.
Now, rip apart your new ties after some more time. Do it over and over again, until you detest the pain that you get out of this course of actions of yours.
The rest is a simplified process. You will begin detesting your own philosophy, and then, upon realizing that, you will back off from embracing your self, and try to battle through your own image.
Battle after battle after battle, you will experience self-alienation and congratulations, you are not alone anymore.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I thought this thread was already expired or something.... Anyways, the OP was edited to make more sense (apparently) and the point of the thread is not to actually give him ideas to deal with his loneliness but help him write a story. Just saying.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Not that the one who started this thread has been on even once since november :p

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

Advice on loneliness, ideas for his story... Meh. Same thing if you ask me. Stories are always the best if they're spawned off of some previous experience.

And I don't really mind that he'll never check this thread. It's an interesting thread all the same. :amuse

DLord.Van.Buuren

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Re: Remedy for Loneliness

I had to share something in this thread. It is very interesting.

Wikipedia defines loneliness as such: Loneliness is a complex and usually unpleasant emotional response to isolation. Loneliness typically includes anxious feelings about a lack of connectedness or communality with other beings, both in the present and extending into the future. As such, loneliness can be felt even when surrounded by other people. The causes of loneliness are varied and include social, mental, emotional, and spiritual factors.

So if someone is anxious to be with people, why not just do it, simple as that. Making new friends isn't a herculean task to be honest, all you need is to be nice. And I don't understand why people become lonely in the first place. Isn't there like a lot of ways to entertain one's self. There is movies, games, sports, reading, hobbies, tv, etc.

One advice though, and this is from personal experience, make sure you wisely pick your company, some people may pretend to be your friends, but they really are not.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

If we trust the internet then the surefire way to deal with loneliness is cats.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

I always think about Sartre when i hear that someone is lonely

“If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company.”

Kirsty

Reaction score
Country
United States

Books. Lots and lots of books. Animals like cats, dogs, and talking/noisy birds are best since they show affection better than reptiles and fish... well fish are just there doing nothing that helps with loneliness but they do make for good comedy in stories. Computer games like MMORPGs are good since you can have "friends/relationships" there. TV can distract you for only so long so it more of a temp fix. This is something that many do that sometimes isn't good but you could be a stick in the mud and just work all the time.

helixis

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

It's not expired, I still check it occasionally :)

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
loneliness is hard to handle, its very empty and depressing. one suggestion would be to get a pet or meet new friends. but one thing you must not do, is settle for the wrong person in a relationship, just for the sake of "not being alone"

i have done this in the past, and it does not work, even if you are physically attracted to them, if there is no actual bond or love or friendship, the relationship is doomed

its better to be alone and miserable, than to be with someone who makes you more miserable

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Over 8 billion people on the planet, that are human like you, how can you possibly be "alone"?.