Semifinal - Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• Hunter x Hunter

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hunter x Hunter
Yoshihiro Togashi

-

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hiromu Arakawa

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I will...try...to refraim from instavote.

Anyways, Those two are obviously in the toppart of Shonen tower and there is a reason they arrived so far.

However I do think that HxH is above. People after me will sure make long explanation posts so I will just say that what HxH has that exceeds FMA is "scientificity". I don't know if you ever read a debat about Nen but the way this system is perfectly organized and leads to logic assumptions of how it works that are not even quoted in the manga and yet perfectly work is amazing. Alchemy is a very cool concept but to me it doesn't compare.

Sorry Pride:

kira

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Up against FMA..

I guess this will be the end of HxH's run

But I won't give up for Erin-chan and everyone who have supported and campaigned for HxH!

-----------------------------------------

Instavote for HxH! :blush Not voting for Shou Tucker! :hmph

Vote HxH guys!! :occa It's so good that you can't even hate the villains!! You'll love how great they are! :blai

Vote HxH! It's Nanika's 3rd and final wish!

Do it or you know what happens next...

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I love Fma a lot, but no way HxH is my fave :zomg

theres so much thing to say about this manga, the characterisation, the story, the symbolism, antagonists, about human nature and so, Togashi is just a genius i d love to find back a ery strong analysis i came across once a few months ago, about just the gungi game (will post it if i find it). Wasnt consider posting now, i had a very bad day, and im so tired :pout but no way i won't support at least hxh a little !

Just this part speak of itself :

who's the good & who's the bad ?

Best fights

Interesting female chars :

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
tough one. Both are veyr mature shonen with darker then average plots. FMA is more a straight shonen though darker and ending had many shonen elements. While HxH doesn't have a main narrative, but has so many experiments and breaks so many tropes that it stands out.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I shall go with HxH here by the slightest of margins. Pretty much just because it is a bit more diverse and ambitious. HxH does a lot of stuff you just don't see very often, whereas FMA just does stuff really well (which is also great). That said, FMA one of the best shonen out there imo, so I wish them both luck!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going Full Metal Alchemist. One of the best manga of all time. The drama, the action, the characters. It was all amazing and it actually came together into a riveting story. But even while dealing with all manner of heavy subject matter FMA always brings it back to being a fun story to read.

Really don't think Hunter X Hunter was ever great It started out strong. Had a great concept too. The problem is outside of a few characters and early arcs there really isn't much there. After the hunter exam arc it lost any clear path to a goal it had and just jumped from random thing to random thing. Killia and Gon are good but beyond them things get paper thin. As the story went on the arcs got worse and the character situation didn't really get much better.

For me FMA wins this game with it's eyes closed.

Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is SOOOOO hard to pick. These are two of my favorite manga of all time. Two on a very short list.
I'm going to think about it some more, but I do have one difference between these two series that stands out... A satisfying conclusion.
One has it and the other,... may never have one. I don't want to use this to decide though, because the story is still ongoing, and probably will be for years to come. As I said, I'll think about it some more and then decide.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Very hard decision.

To tell the truth this should have been the final.

So FMA is one of the "Anime's you must watch". Hx H is too in that list.

But anyway as I consider H x H to be the best Shounen of our time I will vote Hx H.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
My nomination got absolutely annihilated by FMA. A recent manga I read and was moved by, Koe not Katachi, was also slaughtered by this beast. By the laws of equivalent exchange, it's an easy choice to cast a vote of vengeance!

But, I will wait. If FMA comments are good (ie they are entertaining) I might consider voting for it. FMA being a great shonen doesn't really help me either since it's facing one...

Actually, fuck it, voting Hunter x Hunter.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
How can you not vote for them

Ruthless

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Fuck, do I actually have to campaign for FMA in @Purity of Magi absence? Somebody dig a salt grave and push me in because I am not letting a COMPLETE and AWESOME series die to some overrated shounen trash that barely gets support from its own author.

First of all, this series has great characters! (Except you Mustang, god I hate you so much with a passion). We got Lust, Armstrong, The MC, Nina Tucker, Envy, etc.

Secondly, the plot is amazing. It's about alchemy aka the precursor for modern sciences (and in this case, a bit of magic too). The idea is that those that practice Alchemy have to give something of equivalent exchange. Edward, our short MC, tries to use forbidden alchemy to raise the dead. It doesn't work out so well, since he loses his arm and nearly kills his brother. He's then recruited by the military as a state alchemist. Then the main journey begins.

And while I did make a joke about the anime being better than the Manga, FMAB is really, really good from what I hear.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
I love Fma a lot, but no way HxH is my fave :zomg

theres so much thing to say about this manga, the characterisation, the story, the symbolism, antagonists, about human nature and so, Togashi is just a genius i d love to find back a ery strong analysis i came across once a few months ago, about just the gungi game (will post it if i find it). Wasnt consider posting now, i had a very bad day, and im so tired :pout but no way i won't support at least hxh a little !

Just this part speak of itself :

who's the good & who's the bad ?

Best fights

Interesting female chars :

Do you mean this analysis? :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHun...the_chemira_ants_arc/?st=j93sq0mn&sh=1d7c6ab5

Anyways, easy vote for HxH. :nod

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Atom yeeep that's it thxs !

theres this too, but basically similar stuff ( sorry can't credit, have no idea who wrote this, its been reposted countless times, but its available here )

gungi symbolism
"Did anybody notice kokoriko(a gungi technique) means King itself? This technique try to win the game by making King piece isolate. But komugi tells him this technique is Shiro(road to death) a while ago ( ep 104). Isolated king must die. But she shows him a new tactics to save king in ep 135. It means "king doesn't have to die". In reality, king didin't be killed by Netero's nuke attack. But king counterattacked her and shows that isolated king must die after all ( by poison). Komugi finds a new counterattack and said "I'll go with you". King is not alone anymore. Meruem tells her he can't win even once(He couldn't beat kokoriko). It means Kokoriko is not shiro anymore. She saved the isolated king.

The black screen at the end has a couple meanings The dying king has lost even his sight. His mother named him Meruemu as "Light shining on everything". It's stated that "His en shined into the palace as if it's sunshine" and "He manipulated light particles to search Palm in a house" a while ago. He got a god-like light power at that moment. But black pages suggests that he doesn't have any light now. This is a view that Komugi was seeing from the beginning. She couldn't see any light. To her, he was just Meruem.

After all, those pages show us that he lost everything but gained what he trully wanted. He didn't need any soldiers, palaces, countries, power, strength, even his sight(as Komugi). He just wanted to play Gungi with Komugi.

This is the same to her too. She had nothing besides Gungi. Nobody loved her and couldn't play Gungi as well as she did. She was lonely Gungi King(Queen?). But she gained Meruem. That's why she cryed when he counterattacked her new kokoriko. She once needed to create and kill tactics on Gungi by herself. But she gained the perfect opponent and can create tactics with him(I guess to create tactics suggests to create a baby as she said kokoriko is her baby.)

The one "Light shines on everything" loved (and was loved by) was a blind girl. What a story!

They started a new(the last) game in darkness. "1-5-1 king". "9-5-1 king". Then it was stopped. These two king pieces don't go anywhere anymore. Two kings (King of living things and Gungi King) are together forever."

some wonderful hxh art ♥

Erza-K

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
When it will end? It doesn't matter! One Piece ad Gintama are ongoing. One Piece will still be here 10 years later.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
That’s because you haven’t read or watched fma .... :p
VOTE FMA! I love the Elric brothers, great characters, interesting plot, great ending as well!!! Who knows if or when hxh will get an ending.
You don't need to have a proper ending to be a better manga :hmph

Besides, even if Togashi doesn't finish it, @shionoro will take his place, right? :derp

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
Tfw entering this thread, me be like:

Time to show my kawaii Erin-chan and Kira-kun some gratitude~

Lemme just say this: seriously guys FMA is the best manga while HxH is also in it’s league, but then again…. Who wants a hiatus x hiatus to begin with? Are we even certain if it will ever end anyway? With the lovely pacing it has and where the author barely even cares about it…… good luck! I can’t wait it to be finished in a millennia. XD

Okay enough lel bashing even if it’s actually a fact. HxH is freaking great since I read it myself #Hisokaforthewin! However, FMA is simply the best #Greedforthewin! That’s the biggest difference between the two.

FMA isn’t one of these ‘’typical’’ shounen manga. The plot/story is not great…. It’s excellent! It has the whole package that you want a shounen manga to have. The characters development are amazing especially that of Edward Elric. Everyone character serves a purpose and are well-developed, everything is properly spaced and of course people have a goal in mind, they don’t fight for the sake of fighting. There is so much going in the story, it’s insane. Like seriously it literally shows and tells you every piece of their universe, there isn’t any information or plotholes left at all. We should be glad that this manga exist and ended the way it did because I don't recall that I haven’t seen a manga yet in the past few years or even now that had such a great start with such a perfect ending. FMA is just perfection~!

Anyways~.....

Some art pages from the manga:

And of course the most beautiful and handsome family (XD):

Now of course I will show you some excellent fanart that people made:

Oh yeah, not to forget to show this of course for those who like to see FMA with some other characters:

As last, just remember this kiddos:

Just saying~

EmptySoul

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Hard choice since im Not really a fan of either :hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.