Semifinal - Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• Hunter x Hunter

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
too bad hxh has too much haters and double standard readers :facepalm for everything ([insert manga name] hiatus is ok but hxh even if it comes with at minimum 1 or 2 volumes per year, people still trying to use hiatus as an excuse to bash togashi) anyway i love fma , if it wins im happy with it too (which seems to likely be the case), after all, im the one who asked for its nomination.
But still will be sad if HxH won't make it, hxh is really a gem for every little detail, don't even mention story details, more than 15 years foreshadowing, consistency, and many other stuff. I really would love if you would give it a chance, its really deserves to win (I love all 4 semi finalist, but HxH is definitely the best of all of them imo)
Thxs @Purity of Magi for FMa nomination and campaign

Adding some nice little art ♥ :

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
How disappointing @WithYouInSpirit. You praised HxH since this event began and now you are using the classic hiatus argument and calling it overrated. That's throwing salt for the sake of it, lame :nah.

I can finally use internet normally so maybe I will post something soon.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Trying to draw me away from one of my favourite manga :nah

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
How disappointing @WithYouInSpirit. You praised HxH since this event began and now you are using the classic hiatus argument and calling it overrated. That's throwing salt for the sake of it, lame :nah.

I can finally use internet normally so maybe I will post something soon.
It's a classic because there is no refuting it. It's nickname is Hiatus X Hiatus for a reason, Demon. When your manga has a flaw that everybody points out that's not throwing salt. That's just calling it like it is.

Which is, in addition to being constantly on hiatus and hugely overrated, inferior to FMA in every single way.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Still haven't decided yet.... BUT!!...
Just thought I'd remind you all the Movie is coming out in December.
Yeah, in Japan, so we don't know when it'll hit here but, it'll probably be viewable soon.
I just hope they do it justice.

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't get the whole hiatus complaint on this level. I mean sure it can break up your reading and momentum with the series, and I can understand that to a degree I guess. However, that really has nothing to do with the quality of the series pound for pound. As long as the author puts out strong content, who cares how long it takes to complete? Furthermore, with what I hear the work conditions are for mangaka, in general, I don't blame any author for putting on the breaks and considering his direction as the story continues on if he is allowed to. A lot of manga out there imo would benefit from more breaks, rather than being forced to serialize constantly. Now I get that HxH is not anywhere near serialized constantly, but personally, I would take quality over quantity almost any day.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Hello @Erinyes, hello @Purity of Magi. o/

What to vote for, what to vote for... Let's see how both of them treated me recently:

Looks like I hold the whip hand now, heh? What now Erinyes?

Am I still a traitor? You still won't forgive ME? Are you regretting breaking your promise and murdering the poor soul of MINE?

And you Magi... Am I still a disappointment in your eyes?

Or are you too confused, because you can't explain that one feeling you experience right now... you know what that is Magi? That's remorse! Atone for ya sin, the sin of humiliating ME!

Ahh... this feels so good... can't wait for their response...

Somebody is really touchy today~

It would be a shame if some changed your name :kappa

Reactions: syx

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
@syx Hmmmmm hmmm.... you really reminded me of something important.. What was the word I was searching for? Oh yeah....

You're a disappointment.

Since you've finally relieved yourself, what now? Want me to beg you for mercy and asking you to vote for FMA? You're cute. Don't be gentle with me onegai shimasuh~!

Now that you've relieved yourself in some kind of desperate way which is quite enjoyable to watch, vote against me or against Erin-chan and Kira-kun, you baka. Easy as it is! Or do you want my permission so badly to vote and that's why you're seeking for my attention so much through this way, eh? If that's all you wanted you just could have directly asked for it, you know~!

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
If not them, support me ;)
I did support you, but Vinland Saga is already out. :pout. I still can't believe this. :facepalm

• Did Erinyes take back her accusation of calling me traitor?

• Did Erinyes forgive me?

• Did Erinyes apologize for breaking her promise that she won't blame me for voting against HxH?

@syx Please vote HxH bro! :wtf :zomg

If you do, I promise to write that review on Ergo Proxy like you asked me to on MAL! :blush

A recommendation for your - supposed - brother comes with a price? You serious?

I was asking for your opinion because it is/was worth something to me. Guess I'm good with @niichan then. Not to mention these heartbreaking posts of you:

Somebody is really touchy today~

It would be a shame if some changed your name :kappa
You know Econ, I'm starting to like and appreciate that clingy side of yours.

@syx Hmmmmm hmmm.... you really reminded me of something important.. What was the word I was searching for? Oh yeah....

You're a disappointment.

Since you've finally relieved yourself, what now? Want me to beg you for mercy and asking you to vote for FMA? You're cute. Don't be gentle with me onegai shimasuh~!

Now that you've relieved yourself in some kind of desperate way which is quite enjoyable to watch, vote against me or against Erin-chan and Kira-kun, you baka. Easy as it is! Or do you want my permission so badly to vote and that's why you're seeking for my attention so much through this way, eh? If that's all you wanted you just could have directly asked for it, you know~!

Let me think... I see a lot of lies...

...and a lot of Magane gifs...

I see. I haven't followed these awards that much, but I have seen a couple of posts indicating that you just recently started campaigning since HxH is a legit threat. Which means that behind the curtain you indeed care about winning and getting votes. You are telling all those lies about me being a disappointment and not caring for anything just to gain control over the battlefield and my humble self.

Conclusion: If I had rejected anything in your post, this would have been my defeat. But it ain't work this time, Magi-chan. <3

Tadaaaaaaaaa :3

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The hiatuses don't affect the quality of the published chapters so I don't see why they should matter this much. And it's again always with HxH that this matter is brought up. Despite this HxH is the only manga with hiatuses in the Top 4 and it's not like it didn't face popular manga. I don't see how FMA being completed makes it better as well, Gintama and One Piece are ongoing. HxH is my favorite manga and I believe it's above average in every way.

Consistency and story: The synopsis is simple

And we have Gon, the kid above, who wants to leave his island, becomes a Hunter(you must pass an exam for that) and find his father, who is a great Hunter himself. From the pages posted above you would be correct to think that they are adventurers. Most Hunters are, but it's much more than that and people desire to get the license for various reasons. Some only want the license to sell it and there are specializations like Hacker Hunter, Jackpot Hunter etc. It's endless.

If you are more familiar with FMA, you could replace Hunter with Alchemist, Gon's quest to find his dad with the Elric Brothers's quest to find the Philosopher's Stone and you have the synopsis.

Jammin said that it lost its path and is random. What he said is true but not entirely. HxH is at heart an adventure-battle shonen(one of the most recent fight won the Best Battle of 2016 Award here) and
from the: Hunter Exam arc→Heavens Arena arc→York Shin→Greed Island arc→Chimera Ants arc→Election arc and the current one you will notice how different the tone and settings are, more than in most manga of this genre.

Through Gon's quest with his friends and the numerous things he experiences, he gets new goals and Togashi is able to fully exploit the world he created. It's random yes, but it hasn't lost its path because there was never a clear path to begin with. Hunters can do anything.

I agree with what Lambu said about consistency, FMA is certainly more consistent than HxH. If we are talking about generic qualities people look for in a manga, I can't really criticize FMA, there is no chink in its armor, but the series is a solid 8/10 for me. It does what it is supposed to do well but strictly that. The world building is good but it's lacking compared to HxH where there is more freedom and complexity, HxH is far more refreshing(incredible world building in every arc, Nen: arguably the best battle system ever etc.). You will notice for example that it's very hard to subdivide FMA's story into arcs, it's like a succession of good short stories. The characters(who are great) do the rest.

For HxH fans, the favorite arcs are generally York Shin and the Chimera Ants arc. All of them shine in different ways but even if you rate a certain arc lower than the other or maybe dislike some aspects of it, the characters and their interactions at the very least will carry the arc for you. Togashi is that good. HxH is not as consistent, but there is a consistency in that inconsistency(just like Gon actually :p). As a whole, it's amazing. Better than FMA and all the other manga/manhwa I have read IMO(I find ToG similar in many ways but not as good).

Characters: I doubt anyone who is familiar with both can tell me that HxH is lacking compared to FMA when it comes to characters. HxH has a bigger cast to begin with and plenty of characters are fleshed out and charismatic, Togashi also likes to put them in extreme situations which leads to some very interesting results(there are more hype moments in HxH than in FMA, prove me wrong if you can). Gon seems like a typical shonen MC at first but it becomes more and more evident as the series progresses that he is far from being generic.

Art: I must talk about the art too because besides the hiatuses its art receives the most critics from fans. There are some sketchy pages here and there due to Togashi's health issues but they are redrawn in the volumes. Chapter 337 is the only exception which comes to mind but it's negligible overall. Art is not just about drawing gorgeous characters and things. I am not saying that his drawings are bad in general or that he can't do that, at his best Togashi's art is above most shonen manga I read but he excels at other things.

As I said above, I think that HxH is above average in every way. Like all mangakas, Togashi's art evolved over time but anyone who read it can tell that he doesn't have a set style, he is similar to Araki in that regard, the changes are not as drastic but more frequent. My personal belief is that it's the reason why the designs of his characters are so varied. You can find several characters drawn in a different style in every arc. Togashi is also excellent at paneling and at drawing facial expressions(I personally like that a lot). HxH has a good amount of exposition and info dumping in certain arcs(the most recent one in particular) and he is able to cram a lot in a chapter. All of this with simple phrases(fan translations make them more complicated than they are). He has a way with words. As for facial expressions, you can see some good examples in Erin's posts. I could post more but I will do it later since I don't have enough time.

Please vote for HxH :pout.

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Demonspeed huge thxs for your contribution :zomg

Also regarding main characters especially Gon, HxH is often seen as a series that uses shonen tropes then deconstruct them, Gon is making some very questionable choices. Except Leorio who's genuinely "a good guy" so far, all protaganists tend to be equivocal, also Togashi's forte is in antagonists characterisation. Even friendhip is questioned like Gon and killua relationship even if they re closed, Gon has been eally mean & cold towards killua, also Kurapika with leorio , friendship is much more depicted in a realistic way than in an utopian way like most of the shonen.
Also togashi uses a lot foreshadowing / tchekov guns
For instance this pot has been shown 1st time with zepile introduction in Phantom Troup arc (volume released in 2000) and we learnt more about it last year.

Same for the story of the tramp incident in Meteor city introduced in chapter 102, and that explains some stuff in the very recent Chrollo's fight, also Payro (kurapika'sfriend) introduced in chapter 117 (2000) in a single pic and makes sense in current arc.
chapter 117 (2000)

chapter 349 (2016)

Also already told it many times but theres a huge difference betweeen magazine chapters that are actually scanlated and probably what most people are relying to to assess togashi art, and volumes art, all the art is redrawn for volumes releases. heres an example

Even though Togashi art is very unique but in any case is bad as many think see below, hes very good at drawing emotions, expressions as demon said. I personnaly do love his art.

Here some manga arts (from Edited Manga mainly)

last color page (chapt 361)

Misc art :

@syx really ? :errr i ve never been angry or anything neither toward you or anyone else , you're free to vote for whatever you love im not such a bully yare yare :facepalm

Last edited:

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well, I was waiting for a convincing post and I was not disappointed in the slightless:

The hiatuses don't affect the quality of the published chapters so I don't see why they should mater this much. And it's again always with HxH that this matter is brought up. Despite this HxH is the only manga with hiatuses in the Top 4 and it's not like it didn't face popular manga. I don't see how FMA being completed makes it better as well, Gintama and One Piece are ongoing. HxH is my favorite manga and I believe it's above average in every way.

Consistency and story: The synopsis is simple

And we have Gon, the kid above, who wants to leave his island, becomes a Hunter(you must pass an exam for that) and find his father, who is a great Hunter himself. From the pages posted above you would be correct to think that they are adventurers. Most Hunters are, but it's much more than that and people desire to get the license for various reasons. Some only want the license to sell it and there are specializations like Hacker Hunter, Jackpot Hunter etc. It's endless.

If you are more familiar with FMA, you could replace Hunter with Alchemist, Gon's quest to find his dad with the Elric Brothers's quest to find the Philosopher's Stone and you have the synopsis.

Jammin said that it lost its path and is random. What he said is true but not entirely. HxH is at heart an adventure-battle shonen(one of the most recent fight won the Best Battle of 2016 Award here) and
from the: Hunter Exam arc→Heavens Arena arc→York Shin→Greed Island arc→Chimera Ants arc→Election arc and the current one you will notice how different the tone and settings are, more than in most manga of this genre.

Through Gon's quest with his friends and the numerous things he experiences, he gets new goals and Togashi is able to fully exploit the world he created. It's random yes, but it hasn't lost its path because there was never a clear path to begin with. Hunters can do anything.

I agree with what Lambu said about consistency, FMA is certainly more consistent than HxH. If we are talking about generic qualities people look for in a manga, I can't really criticize FMA, there is no chink in its armor, but the series is a solid 8/10 for me. It does what it is supposed to do well but strictly that. The world building is good but it's lacking compared to HxH where there is more freedom and complexity, HxH is far more refreshing(incredible world building in every arc, Nen: arguably the best battle system ever etc.). You will notice for example that it's very hard to subdivide FMA's story into arcs, it's like a succession of good short stories. The characters(who are great) do the rest.

For HxH fans, the favorite arcs are generally York Shin and the Chimera Ants arc. All of them shine in different ways but even if you rate a certain arc lower than the other or maybe dislike some aspects of it, the characters and their interactions at the very least will carry the arc for you. Togashi is that good. HxH is not as consistent, but there is a consistency in that inconsistency(just like Gon actually :p). As a whole, it's amazing. Better than FMA and all the other manga/manhwa I have read IMO(I find ToG similar in many ways but not as good).

Characters: I doubt anyone who is familiar with both can tell me that HxH is lacking compared to FMA when it comes to characters. HxH has a bigger cast to begin with and plenty of characters are fleshed out and charismatic, Togashi also likes to put them in extreme situations which leads to some very interesting results(there are more hype moments in HxH than in FMA, prove me wrong if you can). Gon seems like a typical shonen MC at first but it becomes more and more evident as the series progresses that he is far from being generic.

Art: I must talk about the art too because besides the hiatuses its art receives the most critics from fans. There are some sketchy pages here and there due to Togashi's health issues but they are redrawn in the volumes. Chapter 337 is the only exception which comes to mind but it's negligible overall. Art is not just about drawing gorgeous characters and things. I am not saying that his drawings are bad in general or that he can't do that, at his best Togashi's art is above most shonen manga I read but he excels at other things.

As I said above, I think that HxH is above average in every way. Like all mangakas, Togashi's art evolved over time but anyone who read it can tell that he doesn't have a set style, he is similar to Araki in that regard, the changes are not as drastic but more frequent. My personal belief is that it's the reason why the designs of his characters are so varied. You can find several characters drawn in a different style in every arc. Togashi is also excellent at paneling and at drawing facial expressions(I personally like that a lot). HxH has a good amount of exposition and info dumping in certain arcs(the most recent one in particular) and he is able to cram a lot in a chapter. All of this with simple phrases(fan translations make them more complicated than they are). He has a way with words. As for facial expressions, you can see some good examples in Erin's posts. I could post more but I will do it later since I don't have enough time.

Please vote for HxH :pout.
^This

Now I can vote Hunter x Hunter with no regrets. :beer

#ThankyouDemon #GogoKiraandErin #ImsorryWYIS #Damnyoumagi.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I know what Togashi is doing. He's spacing out this arc in real time! :zomg

I should be 33 by the time I see the Dark Continent :blush

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
@syx Oh my, aren't you suddenly acting all so confident and adorable now Syx-kun~?

Hmmm, what can I say... Of course I have to show at least a campaigning post and giving my gratitude to my kawaii apprentices that they made it this far after all. It's a honor to have them as my enemy now, but then again I didn't expect anything less from them. If HxH wins then it's fully deserved. The others however, weren't even a chance against me and they knew it. But hey, they at least tried their best to beat it ~

Oh well, anyway I see what you’re trying to do and I must say it’s a very cute attempt. So I will give you a straight answer:

You’ve satisfy me a little bit so you’ve my permission to vote against me if that's all you wanted to hear, dear.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
@syx Oh my, aren't you suddenly acting all so confident and adorable now Syx-kun~?

Hmmm, what can I say... Of course I have to show at least a campaigning post and giving my gratitude to my kawaii apprentices that they made it this far after all. It's a honor to have them as my enemy now, but then again I didn't expect anything less from them. If HxH wins then it's fully deserved. The others however, weren't even a chance against me and they knew it. But hey, they at least tried their best to beat it ~

Oh well, anyway I see what you’re trying to do and I must say it’s a very cute attempt. So I will give you a straight answer:

You’ve satisfy me a little bit so you’ve my permission to vote against me if that's all you wanted to hear, dear.
The announcement of a S3 helped, but you gave me the final push I needed to start the DAL anime.

Thanks Magi :hee.

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
It's a classic because there is no refuting it. It's nickname is Hiatus X Hiatus for a reason, Demon. When your manga has a flaw that everybody points out that's not throwing salt. That's just calling it like it is.
But... Hiatus are a flaw of Togashi.. not of HxH :(

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Despite the fact that I think OP stands a better chance against HxH (if it beats Gintama), I voted FMA.

I know, I haven’t caught up with HxH, as I’ve said a dozen times. But if it were really as good as FMA (which I read all existing chapters of in a matter of two days at the time and then followed as slavishly as I do One Piece) then I’d already be caught up. That’s not to say HxH isn’t great, I actually love pretty much every bit of what I’ve read so far. It just doesn’t match FMA. Very few series do.

Though in voting for OP and FMA, I’m contributing to a possible match between possibly my two favorite shonen of all time. :oh

Reactions: z.5
Status
Not open for further replies.