Semifinal - Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Hunter x Hunter vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• Hunter x Hunter

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
HxH is good, but it's nowhere as good as FMA, so it's an easy vote for me.

FMA is by far my favorite manga ever, so it's an instavote for me.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ya know, i only watched a few eps of FMA back then, but it didn't particularly grip me.

I am sure it is an outstanding work. A lot of people like it.
Much like Arrested Developement or Marvel's Avengeers or The White Stripes or.....

In fact, there are so many great things in this world, so much great art that you might or might not enjoy but that surely makes so many people happy.

The thing is... Since i read HxH, i stopped caring for all of those as far as Manga go, because i simply do not need that nonsense anymore, because I know HxH will blow all of it away and I will just end up with something i enjoy less than even rereading HxH.

So ya....What could compare to that?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
HxH is good, but it's nowhere as good as FMA, so it's an easy vote for me.

FMA is by far my favorite manga ever, so it's an instavote for me.
That's my NaruXSaku bro Nindo! Good taste as always.

You should read through the Naruto VS Berserk matchup by the way. It was like a reunion of the last surviving NaruXSaku fans in there.

Which reminds me. Another reason for people to vote for FMA is so that they can vote for a series with romance. In Disappointing X Disappointing the characters barely even have pulses. They don't even understand the abstract concept of romantic attraction.

Edward Elric "gets it"...

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well ya, it is true that HxH isn't a shipping show like FMA which goes more along the roads of fairy tail <:

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I didn't passed here to post because i still didn't find pics of Biscuit xd and FMA is nice but don't care too much... but i can say with ease that FMA is manga more "readable" than HxH, so you can for sure recommend it to plenty more readers than HxH.

But... @shionoro here is doing a campaign like the ones that i like:
The thing is... Since i read HxH, i stopped caring for all of those as far as Manga go, because i simply do not need that nonsense anymore, because I know HxH will blow all of it away and I will just end up with something i enjoy less than even rereading HxH.
Pure gold here, my friend! This thread really smells like WAR! If i would've nominated One Piece, i will be chopping Gintama right now. So, only for this, HxH gets my vote.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
But there is romance in HxH. It's just not very prominent. And Leorio reacted more to women than Edward ever did, only his pairing with Winry really mattered.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well ya, romance in HxH is just pretty grown up without all the sparkles.
It just happens without a lot of fuss about it.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
But there is romance in HxH. It's just not very prominent. And Leorio reacted more to women than Edward ever did, only his pairing with Winry really mattered.
Romance is not measured by the number of times a character reacts to women Demon. It's measured by the depth of that interaction and how it's interlaced into the story and who they are as characters.

Well ya, romance in HxH is just pretty grown up without all the sparkles.
It just happens without a lot of fuss about it.
Grown up? Since when was "grown up" synonymous with "flat and lifeless". The sparkles. The corny lines. The awkwardness. That's a part of love at any age.

Vote for love. Vote FMA!​

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Romance is not measured by the number of times a character reacts to women Demon. It's measured by the depth of that interaction and how it's interlaced into the story and who they are as characters.
I only said that because of what you said about characters not having pulses. The Meruem x Komugi romance was well written.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I only said that because of what you said about characters not having pulses. The Meruem x Komugi romance was well written.
Vehemently disagree but to each their own.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Desperate comparison between FMA and Fairy Tail is desperate :lmao
But why would it not be apt?
I compared the shipping, nothing else.
Grown up? Since when was "grown up" synonymous with "flat and lifeless". The sparkles. The corny lines. The awkwardness. That's a part of love at any age.
I realize that this is a rhetorical question but....... Since forever 0.0

HxH contains very rich and detailled friendships and professional partnerships that eclipse any 'corny romance' any day.
And since it is a manga pretty much about professionalism and putting the mission first, obviously the private life of the people involved in the plot takes a backseat. And a lot of Shonen would benefit from doing the same thing.

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
It's kind of both.

That's like saying when your car won't start it's not the car's fault. It's the guy who engineered the car. Either way, your car isn't getting it done.

But..this ... this is really not a viable analogy xD

The car is a tool, its core purpose it to be driven. So if it doesn't fulfill this purpose, it fails.
A manga is art, it's core purpose is to interest/entertain/give emotions to readers. As such, the only value this purpose is dependant on is the content already produced and enjoyable. You can't be entertained by an incoming chapter of by the prospect of a regular release. (Both of them are not present in FMA since it is completed btw)

An exemple unrelated to mangas would be a cathedral. Let's say the florence cathedral, it took longer than a lifetime to complete its building. So what? No human could have followed the construction from the first day to the end so it's bad architecture?

Well, that's the same thing with a manga. A work shouldn't be judged by parameters that pertain to the circumstances of it's producing. Only the content of the chapters matter, is Togashi is lazy, that's a flaw of his, not of his work. :hi

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
too bad hxh has too much haters and double standard readers :facepalm for everything ([insert manga name] hiatus is ok but hxh even if it comes with at minimum 1 or 2 volumes per year, people still trying to use hiatus as an excuse to bash togashi) anyway i love fma , if it wins im happy with it too (which seems to likely be the case), after all, im the one who asked for its nomination.
But still will be sad if HxH won't make it, hxh is really a gem for every little detail, don't even mention story details, more than 15 years foreshadowing, consistency, and many other stuff. I really would love if you would give it a chance, its really deserves to win (I love all 4 semi finalist, but HxH is definitely the best of all of them imo)
Just wanna say that you've campaigned HxH quite nicely and it's appreciated even if I voted FMA (because well, I just like it a lot, lol). Will definetly check it out in the future, at the least the most recent anime.

I don't understand how its hiatus can be used as an argument to diminish its story or simply how good it is btw, seems silly.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
It's kind of both.

That's like saying when your car won't start it's not the car's fault. It's the guy who engineered the car. Either way, your car isn't getting it done.
If your car is awesome but the person that was in charge of its model was lazy as shit, the car remains great.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Hardy yep definitely try it, give it a chance, you can try the anime too, you'll definitely like it
its faithful to its original material, and Madhouse did a great adaptation. HxH s prolly the best shonen out there, and Im a huge fan of Fma but still think HxH is above,

@Skylent i read your post and agree mostly except for this "is Togashi is lazy, that's a flaw of his, not of his work." no i just can't accept people to call him lazy, he is veteran mangaka whith health issues, I just can't get it, would you think its acceptable to call Miura, Hoshino, Yazawa, Inoue and so many others, lazy ? So why is it ok to do it for Togashi ? to me its just disrespecting the creator. I ve already linked this itw from his former assistant , but i guess im wasting my time, I ll make it easy, i ll copy/past some parts in case it's so hard to click. http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/09/12/230058

health issues-hiatus

He’s Had Back Problems Since the Time of Yu Yu Hakusho

Since Hunter × Hunter began serialization, it has become infamous for its large amount of hiatuses in between. Though some fans say that Togashi is slacking off and playing video games (and as seen in the manga, he does get distracted by them sometimes), it is widely known that Togashi has had back problems that have been plaguing him from years. One time, Ajino found Togashi lying down on the floor out of sheer pain during the serialization of Yu Yu Hakusho, but he continued to draw with his belly face-down, only asking for Ajino to go buy him a warm compress at the convenience store while he continued to draw. This is when Togashi was still in his mid-to-late 20’s.

“When I saw him drawing even in that condition, I thought about how hard it must be to be a professional manga artist. At the same time, I felt the strength of Sensei’s sense of responsibility.”

Ajino remarks that he doesn’t remember Yu Yu Hakusho ever taking a break, except for just one week when Togashi took off to go and do research for the manga.

work ethic
He Refused to Let His Assistants Do the Inking

At one point in Ajino’s autobiographical manga, the assistant recalls a certain period during Yu Yu Hakusho’s serialization where Togashi couldn’t keep up with deadlines and was pushing himself past his limit. Although assistants were supposed to draw the backgrounds for the manga, Togashi began making backgrounds out of simple lines in order to save time. Despite this, Togashi was still nice to his assistants, and never took out his stress out on them.

Ajino remembers waking up from a nap at work and overhearing Togashi’s editor talking to him, suggesting that since he was so overworked, he should at least leave the inking of characters to the assistants. However, Togashi told his editor, “No… That’s the one thing I don’t want to do. If I did that… I think that’d be the end of my life as a manga creator.”

Kindness, simplicity
Despite His Earnings, His Meals Were Modest

Ajino recounted in the manga how Togashi’s meals mainly consisted of rice balls, lunch boxes, and canned coffee from the local convenience store he and the other assistant would go buy for the manga artist. Once in a while, however, the assistants would pick him up a take-out box from a local restaurant when they went out for a meal. Ajino noted that Togashi seemed a bit happy whenever they brought him something back from the restaurant.

To pay for the things they needed, Togashi would hand over his entire wallet and allow the assistants to use his ATM card to pay. With his normal appearance and fairly small dwelling, Ajino recalls Togashi’s editor coming in at one point and telling the creator, “It’s a waste if you don’t use your money.” That night, Togashi took his editor and assistants out to an expensive restaurant and paid for them. With the success of Yu Yu Hakusho, Togashi was not low on cash.

So please stop bashing him, he s far from being the bad and lazy guy people love to think he is. He s a cool, passionate and talented writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.