Discussion - I could never eat that ! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion I could never eat that !

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Have you got taboo in cuisine ? Things you know you would never eat even before trying it. Is it because of some belief (vegetarian), tradition (porc), it's too cute (rabbit), it's too disgusting (insects)...

As for me, I'm really curious so there are very few things I would not try. I must even admit I tasted some whale in Japan also I know it's an endangered species. However, I think I would have hard time with insect larva or things like that.

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I eat pretty "weird" stuff since I am Chinese and we Chinese have some pretty weird stuff on our menus, like pigs intestines, pigs tongue, frog legs etc, but I would never eat a dog... I guess because I am a dog lover, and have a dog, I just can't ever imagine eating an animal like that ><

Another thing I would never eat is monkey brain. It just... Grosses me out. Especially when I hear how the Chinese (well I am Chinese too but...) eat it. I've heard that they have tables with holes in the middle and basically they stick the monkey in there with its head sticking up above the table then whack its head to open it up, then just eat the brain :darn I don't know if this is 100% true (my dad may have been trying to scare me), but there are videos out there depicting the act and though I daren't watch them, I think my description above should be quite accurate as all the video comments are always made in horror/disgust.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Chinese share a lot with French then. You know that English call us froggies because we eat frogs legs too. I must said it is not really tasty a bit like snail, everything is in the garlic sauce. Concerning dog, do you know a bit more. Is it really common food there or just to afraid tourists. I heard that it is a special variety of dog which is use for food. In such, I think I could try it.

As for the monkey brain, that reminds me of an Indiana Jones. I like brain sheep, but I'm not sure I could manage to eat some brain in the fashion you described.

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I eat pretty "weird" stuff since I am Chinese and we Chinese have some pretty weird stuff on our menus, like pigs intestines, pigs tongue, frog legs etc
:faint

As for me: I would honestly love to taste many things, but if it looks gross then I don't think I'd physically be able to bring myself to eat it.

Also, if it's originated from something weird or disgusting then it's best that I don't know. Like, I would never eat pigs intestines with the knowledge that it's actually pigs intestines lol

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
You know that originally sausages skin is made of pig intestine, do you ? Well nowadays it can be artificial skin.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, sausage casings used to be made up of pig intestines but now, most, if not all are artificial and synthetic. Funnily enough, I don't like sausages, but if I were to purchase some, it would probably be the industrially manufactured one.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm pretty sure it is hard to make the difference. I hope some butcher still continue to use real intestine. Anyway I'm pretty sure it is forbidden to use artificial one if your sausages have some sort of appellation
That remember me, once in a wine bar, there was an English girl who had taken a charcuterie plate next to us. When she started to eat the andouille, her face was priceless.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I meant that if I were to purchase sausages, it's likely that what would be available would be the artificial kind, thus that is what I would get simply because of how much more common it is than the natural sausages. That's what is most commonly sold, nowadays. I'm sure that there are probably many butchers that still use real intestine, only that they aren't local.

Still, if I regularly ate sausages, I'm sure I would be able to differentiate the artificial kind from the natural :amuse

That remember me, once in a wine bar, there was an English girl who had taken a charcuterie plate next to us. When she started to eat the andouille, her face was priceless.
:lmao

Prosciutto. Yum.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think there are that many things I would not at least try. I have even made it a point to order something different every time I go to a restaurant lol. I have eaten some pretty weird stuff myself though. I have pretty much eaten every organ a cow can have (except the heart which is supposed to be delicious and bull testicles which do in fact gross me out and luckily have never been presented with). I have always wanted to try deer (which is supposed to be awesome) and deer heart (yes, I would gladly eat bambi without a second thought or regret). I have also always wanted to try boar.... I have eaten turtle once in the caribian too (not exceptionally good though). Some time ago I also saw on TV that in italy there was a particular type of cheese which was eaten with actual worms. Always been curious about that. Lots of protein lol. I am also a big sushin eater. love every bit of it, never found a raw fish I would not eat so far. Eel (which is not raw though) is my favorite ingredient in sushin though. I also finally got to try ostrich a couple of days ago. Best burger I have had in a while, delicious bird. I love caviar too. On a family vacation some time ago I recall making an effort just to be first in line to get some at a cruise buffet but as it turns out people in US don't eat that and the effort was pretty much wasted. I ate alligator a while back when I happened to be in Louisiana visiting some friends too (as it turns out alligators are tiger bait lol). I knew it was supposed to taste lot like chicken but I was still disappointed in how close it was. I also tried cuy once (aka guinnie pigs lol). Tasted virtually the same as chicken and alligator. I ahve tried duck too (can't remember the taste all that well but it was kinda meh, not something I would be bent on ordering). Always wanted to have rabbit too. After all the stuff I have eaten you would think I'd have a rabbit lol.

I don't eat spinach, sparragus or olives though. Gross, gross stuff. Everything else is good game though.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Prosciutto. Yum.
YESSS! Love that too. Too expensive to eat as much as I would like though. There is a slight chance we might be thinking about different things though.

Rikudou Sennin

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Fish. I cant stand it. I would eat it if I had to eat to survive. But I even cant stand smelling fish.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I have also always wanted to go to asia just to eat lol. There must be some pretty interesting (and spicy) stuff in india, china and japan.... Heard some interesting things from thailand too (not just from regular thai food though).

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
@kkck
You would have a hard time now here in Germany. It's asparagus time and they are everywhere. I don't know why but German are crazy with asparagus
The beef heart is OK but it's really not a tender meat. It has to be cooked really really long time. A bit like bourguignon. I think it's my least favorite in the internal organ. The one I like a lot is the beef tongue. Every time I ate some at work people say how I could eat that. They just don't know what is good.

As for weird stuff, I ate a bit of kangourou in Australia. It was not that good but it was probably not very well cooked. In my trip to Cambodia, I saw kids eating spider. They truely ate it like it was candy. I would have tried but I really feared to be sick. That is the main problem in such countries, our westerner stomachs are too weak.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think my stomach is too weak. I did grow up in a third world country even if my overall enviroment was in itself very western. I have more trouble with fast food than weird stuff lol (a few consecutive days of fast food make me feel like crap and weak). Tongue is good though, I do enjoy it. Its considerably good considering how gross it sounds lol.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
YESSS! Love that too. Too expensive to eat as much as I would like though. There is a slight chance we might be thinking about different things though.
I doubt that. I would probably live off it alone, if I could. :noworry

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I will never eat cottage cheese.
It looks like curdled milk.

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would never eat durian ever again. I was scarred from when I was a kid. :darn

I tried the tinned type, because my mum convinced me it was egg! D: It was horrible... and I still don't like it. :darn

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I would never eat scrapple or any mystery meats.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Joefish

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I first thought it was a loaf of German bread...
me too... Oo

That's what immediately came to my mind:
or

Just don't understand why it has to be that cruel (1st video).
And the frog thing is sick but looks kinda funny ^^
I normally don't say that I won't eat or at least taste food. But this is just over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Another thing I would never eat is monkey brain. It just... Grosses me out. Especially when I hear how the Chinese (well I am Chinese too but...) eat it. I've heard that they have tables with holes in the middle and basically they stick the monkey in there with its head sticking up above the table then whack its head to open it up, then just eat the brain :darn I don't know if this is 100% true (my dad may have been trying to scare me), but there are videos out there depicting the act and though I daren't watch them, I think my description above should be quite accurate as all the video comments are always made in horror/disgust.
It's a myth that the brain is eaten whilst the money is still alive because the blows from the hammer would kill the monkey.

Chinese share a lot with French then. You know that English call us froggies because we eat frogs legs too. I must said it is not really tasty a bit like snail, everything is in the garlic sauce.
Believe it or not, the rural English used to eat toads before WW1. So the English-French rivalry was between toad eaters and frog eaters lol.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

I've just looked at those videos and while I'm not soft on animals or 'offended' by seeing animals suffer, you still wonder why he doesn't just kill the fish first if it would be easier for himself. Pointless cruelty is pointless, and ergo doesn't make sense, it doesn't even give himself sadistic pleasure it just makes his life harder.

The frog in the second video appears dead even if it's heart is beating because it's fresh, but items like 'lizard sake' are probably not a part of traditional Japanese cuisine.