Is Guts really human??? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Is Guts really human???

Yondaime Uzumaki

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's be honest, his abilities are far beyond even the strongest humans. And let's not forget about the extreme circumstances of his birth. His teeth and ears are not normal either. There are other things that can hint to him possibly being some sort of half-breed, possibly fighting against a demon side of himself. I even have a theory that Guts is the son of Nosferatu Zodd. Zodd seems to be fixated on Guts, Zodd looks similiar to Guts in his human form, and this pic: http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-volume-01.html?ch=Volume+06&page=109

Katz

Reaction score
Country
United States
You make a rather interesting point, I haven't really thought about it, but Gutz does bear a rather "convincing" look-a-like to Zodd, you should put that in ur sig or something as a future prediction "gutz is the son of Zodd/a half-breed human/demon- pending" huge kudos if u got something like that right.

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Its interesting but I'm inclined to disagree. Guts has been fighting impossible odds as a human, which makes the story interesting. He is supposed to represent the pinnacle of human capability.

Yondaime Uzumaki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its interesting but I'm inclined to disagree. Guts has been fighting impossible odds as a human, which makes the story interesting. He is supposed to represent the pinnacle of human capability.
I agree, which is why the theory would be such a shock. The thought of something like that happening is pretty inconceivable due to the fact that the manga puts so much emphasis on the fact that he is a human fighting off of pure guts and determination. But let's not be naive, humans can only do so much, regardless of his/her will and determination. Guts is unlike anyone in the entire manga, and not just physically. His rage can be considered as the manifestation of a demon. When his rage speaks to him, it seem like more of a demon than some of the demons we have seen. Whether you believe that he is the offspring of a demon or not is debatable, but there is no doubt that he has a demon within himself.

Besides that, Guts is so similar to Zodd, even excluding the physical attributes. Is there anyone who loves to fight as much as Zodd and Guts? Really, they are the most hardcore fighters in the manga. Is their multiple encounters just by chance? Zodd didn't have to save Guts. From my understanding, Griffith's fate would've been the same with or without Guts.

Neden4life

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to agree with OP here. I just watched the movies and had the same thought. I only came here becouse I was hoping a comic book out there somewhere would tell me I was right and Guts really was the son of Zod.

Fourier

Reaction score
Country
United States
Though the concept/idea is rather interesting, I find it kind of distasteful as far as the current story has been concerned thus far.

I think some people may be taking the whole thing too literal. Also, a lot of the things may be metaphorical (such as when he is having the dream/nightmare and the demon face shows a resemblance to Guts). I am more inclined to side with the fact that Guts has inner demons (which is obvious), rather than being a physical demon. I just think it kinda kills the mood of the development of the character (at least for me). As far as the physical appearance of Guts, I don't really see the resemblance there. He has looked like the other human characters as far as I can tell, but maybe I'll look a bit closer next time.

Plus, I figured he gained a lot of "strength" from being in the intersection (or whatever it is technically called), between the worlds, for so long. I think I recall reading someone in a chapter saying that, proposing the idea of it. (here http://grab.by/5op6). Though it is just a proposition/thought, I feel that it is more tasteful than him being a demon himself. Of course, it always open to anything really.

Also, Zodd is fixated on Guts because Zodd's whole deal is fighting with the strongest opponent he can find. As of now, Guts is one of them (as well as SK). I don't think it has anything to do with Guts being his offspring.

I won't discourage or ignore the idea of it, but I just find it to be too speculative (hah, I dunno how far we can take this idea, or any other for that matter, since it's still a work-in-progress, and our world isn't "Berserk" world, so it's hard to actually make strong speculations). I would just be more pleased without any demon-human inbreeding associated with Guts; takes the flavor out of it. But then again, anything can happen. Either way it turns out, the overall story will still be amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: R4n

llamapie

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Though the concept/idea is rather interesting, I find it kind of distasteful as far as the current story has been concerned thus far.

I think some people may be taking the whole thing too literal. Also, a lot of the things may be metaphorical (such as when he is having the dream/nightmare and the demon face shows a resemblance to Guts). I am more inclined to side with the fact that Guts has inner demons (which is obvious), rather than being a physical demon. I just think it kinda kills the mood of the development of the character (at least for me). As far as the physical appearance of Guts, I don't really see the resemblance there. He has looked like the other human characters as far as I can tell, but maybe I'll look a bit closer next time.

Plus, I figured he gained a lot of "strength" from being in the intersection (or whatever it is technically called), between the worlds, for so long. I think I recall reading someone in a chapter saying that, proposing the idea of it. (here http://grab.by/5op6). Though it is just a proposition/thought, I feel that it is more tasteful than him being a demon himself. Of course, it always open to anything really.

Also, Zodd is fixated on Guts because Zodd's whole deal is fighting with the strongest opponent he can find. As of now, Guts is one of them (as well as SK). I don't think it has anything to do with Guts being his offspring.

I won't discourage or ignore the idea of it, but I just find it to be too speculative (hah, I dunno how far we can take this idea, or any other for that matter, since it's still a work-in-progress, and our world isn't "Berserk" world, so it's hard to actually make strong speculations). I would just be more pleased without any demon-human inbreeding associated with Guts; takes the flavor out of it. But then again, anything can happen. Either way it turns out, the overall story will still be amazing.
To put it more simply he just killed an innocent child. He felt like a monster.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
He is a human...but he lived through special circumstances...a life full of fighting, with the pinnacle of surviving an Eclipse, and getting marked...the mark itself put Guts between the real world and the astral world, so from this POV he might be considered special...so the demon from his armor could be the product of Guts being half-merged with the Astral Realm, of course the armor itself is special...Guts is human in the end IMO

Ero-kun

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
He is a human but living on the intersection can possibly bend some of nature's laws much like the Skull knight methinks.

OldSkOoL

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd be pissed if Gutts turned out to be something other than human.

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Guts is the ultimate underdog.

His character is a dog, if you analysis his behaviour throughout the whole manga, caska even calls him a mad dog and plus the beast of darkness is a dog. He was a dog that was always in fights but had a master to cling to then his next master was griffith who he was loyal to but would bite others around, plus he was a dog that didn't like being touch, he would bite them.

The first few volumes with the god hand sum up why guts is human, They thought he would be worthly of being a god hand but they said he is just a human. Guts said himself many times he will kill them all as a human because he hates all of their kind well most and won't do what griffith did and become one. The beast of darkness is the thing that is trying to take his humanity away. When he left caska he was a monster but still had feelings at times showing sadness, he did cry after the count's daughter vowed to kill him. Then puke when he saw collette die.

That nightmare was with guts face on zodd body was because in the dream zodd kills him and his step father then he see's his face on zodd's face as a reminder he is that monster who killed his step father.

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The skelleton swordsman (volume 16 p.143) says:
It seems he is still dogged by ill fortune... but...
For a human to follow this path is as cruel as the evening is.
Can he continue to walk it as a man? Or will he...
Afterwards, he finds a Behelit at the place where Gatts fought.
I think it's save to assume that the skelleton rider is one of the best experts in terms of demons and humans and he obviously is absolutely sure that Gatts is human, despite the fact that he's beeing surrounded by the aftermath of one of his battles (means alot of slashed corpses).

A few pages later, Gatts is beeing followed by demons who call him a demon because of his bloodlust and he still has a behelit in his bag. The demons seem to try to convince him to use it to become a demon, another point for him still beeing human.

I think the Golden Age-Arc is supposed to explain his extreme capabilities, since he fought with huge swords for as long as he can remember. It's simply his focus of life, everything he ever did was fighting. No wonder that nobody can compare to him. And swinging supersized swords since early childhood should explain his power :P

On the other hand, his regeneration speed after injuries definitly is absolutely extreme. But I think that's rather to keep the story interesting than to portrait him as (physically) demonic. Especially since his elf partner seems to be partially used to create an explanation for why he can keep going and going even after worst injuries (as the elf can heal them after each battle). Gatts himself is commenting that: "Man, he's just turning into a walking first aid kit" (vol. 16 p.158).

Last edited:

OldSkOoL

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I daresay now with Schreike around she's aiding his recovery with magic some what.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guts is 100% human. His superhuman prowess was built over decades of intense training.

I daresay now with Schreike around she's aiding his recovery with magic some what.
Schierke also states that the time Guts has spent in the Interstice may be responsible for the continuing development of Guts' inhuman physical prowess. He is literally willing himself to be superhuman.

Crisis.

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i would have to say no

1.he gets his physical strength comes from him using a normal size sword when he was a kid instead of a smaller one for his size and then using a bigger sword when he was a teenager( training everyday with a bunch of logs on his sword to make it heavier )

-zodd didn't shown any sing of him ever knowing guts in anyway the first time he saw him

-zodd doesn't really look like guts to me at all

-the whole zodd with guts face thing is more or a metaphor then anything else. the author just wanted to show us that guts felt as if he was zodd because of the monstrousness thing he just finish doing

3.zodd saving guts was more of a warrior type of thing ( or him guesing that grifiths sacrifices would be guts[not knowing what it truly is])

don't get me wrong you might actually be right but to me the chances of zodd being guts father is 1 out of 1 billion, zodd is just the type of demon who doesn't rape,eat,kill anyone who cant fight (or just never shown ) and he admires strong people maybe thats why he threw the sword towards guts to give him a fighting chance

also the demon inside him is more of a alter ego then anything else ( he did watch the love of his life get rape by his best friend and losing a arm and a eye trying to stop it all in vein,if that doesn't give you a mental problem then what would [he was shown to have that demonic evil expression right after he got out of the eclipse] explaining how he got it

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Guts is without any doubt a human. As Franckie said above, he developed the strength after years of years of battling. I will quote an example of real life:

I used to play Squash. The racket I had previously weighed 110 grams. It broke and the one I bought weighed around 150 grams. It felt so heavy when I started to use it. But after few weeks I didn't realize any difference.

My point is, back when Guts was young we saw him going for the bigger and heavier swords, he developed physically to handle the extra size and weight. Swinging that sword and battling over the years added to his overall physical prowess as well. More than anything its adrenalin and his will to survive that makes him super strong. He has always looked and felt like a human to me. It will be more fitting for the story as well, seeing God Hand(s) beaten by a mere human, assuming. His strength is already nearing to that of an apostle like Zodd or others.

union98

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course he's a human

Ekosen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Um, is no one going to mention the demon beast that manifest in him that literally and fundamentally changes his looks and form giving him ultra super human strength? He is human but he is also a demon from the inside.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Um, is no one going to mention the demon beast that manifest in him that literally and fundamentally changes his looks and form giving him ultra super human strength? He is human but he is also a demon from the inside.
He has a Demon inside, and that's because of what he experienced during the Eclipse. It's not as if it was changing his race. It can only manifests physically when Guts is using the Berserker Armor.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
He has a Demon inside, and that's because of what he experienced during the Eclipse. It's not as if it was changing his race. It can only manifests physically when Guts is using the Berserker Armor.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. My idea is he's actually incubating a demon. We've seen humans turn into demons artificially via other demons (or behelits), but we've never seen where else they can come from. I assume another source for demons is being made from scratch within a human mind/soul. This is what Guts is doing, and the Berserker Armor is clearly speeding up a process that probably would've taken a lot longer.

I don't think the Hound is a solely a metaphor. I think demons are just metaphors made manifest. They go from nothingness -> a thought -> the astral plane -> real world.