Quarterfinal - Jellal Fernandes vs Mard Geer Tartarus | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinal Jellal Fernandes vs Mard Geer Tartarus

Which Fighter Advances?

• Jellal Fernandes

Votes: 55 88.7%
  • Mard Geer Tartarus

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Ice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Can't even take the comparison seriously when you claim Mard has attack power on Jellal's level.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mard Geer wins mid-diff.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
For Jellal Fernandes vs Mard Geer Tartaros, the match will be one-sided...
  • Jellal > Mard Geer [Low Difficulty]
There really isn't any other way to spin this. The timeskip alone is already a major factor in determining the winner of this match. Jellal one-shotted Neinhart who we know has a lot of MP to begin. The assumption that Neinhart has low durability is faulty logic because can also claim that Neinhart instantly died due to Jellal being many times stronger.
  • Attack: Jellal > Mard Geer
  • Defense: Jellal > Mard Geer
  • Speed: Jellal ≥ Mard Geer
  • Versatility: Jellal ≥ Mard Geer
  • Intelligence: Jellal = Mard Geer
  • MP: Jellal > Mard Geer
Example: Pre-Timeskip DF Natsu struggled immensely against Mard Geer. But Post-Timeskip FDKM Natsu defeated Jacob in one-shit. Why? It's not because FDKM is stronger than DF. Instead, Natsu got stronger over the past year. That we can't deny but it is literally based on the manga.

Now could we say Jacob lost because he has lower durability than Mard Geer? No. Because Post-Timeskip Natsu (who is already more powerful than Pre-Timeskip Natsu) needed to go FDKM to beat him. We already saw Jacob overwhelm Base Natsu. This is, once again, clearly proven by feats.

**NOTE: I'm not saying that Mard Geer is weaker provided that he trained over the timeskip (if he was alive at the time). But the fact is that he died so we can only use his feats from the time he was alive. And since everyone improved since than Tartaros Arc, Mard Geer is weaker than most characters. Assuming where he would be if he trained would lead to erroneous conclusions because he might have trained a lot or not at all.

Last edited:

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
The problem people seems to ignore is that x792 has meant an extremely big leap in powerscales, so much so it pretty much doesn't make sense to compare current characters to pre-TS characters, particularly if we're tlaking about current HIGH tiers like Jellal.

It'd be a much more interesting fight if this was x791 Jellal vs Mard Geer. Jellal would still win, but with a very high degree of difficulty (that's for sure!).

I mean, powerscales have never meant much in FT but the fact that Jellal became more powerful in one year than in seven years (that is to say, Jellal seems to have become more powerful in this timeskip than in the Tenrou 7 years span) makes little sense.

People need to understand that no etherious creation is at the level of no spriggan. Mard has hax, ok, but we know how hax is supposed to work. I mean, look at Dimaria, the mother of all haxes. Her hax is such that she could kill acnologia, any dragon, august and Irene, no? Well, no, it doesn't work that way.

Haxes aside, the weakest spriggan would still beat the strongest tartaros demon, although with moderate difficulty indeed.

Jellal is pretty much spriggan tier, even if low spriggan tier, so the battle would be pretty much onesided. Mid difficulty at most...

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only way Marde Geer would have any chance against a top tier opponent is if and I mean only if his agility allows him to dodge. Otherwise he gets stomped hard.

Jellal low difficulty due to his speed which outclasses Mard Geer and his Bind snakes would restrict Marde Geer agility which is his best feats. Sema one shots him.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Jellal takes this easy-mid diff. Mard geer is no pushover and he actually managed to edge out a spriggan in this tournament (Jacob). He could put up a decent fight, but he hardly has any chance of beating Jellal

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know, if you guys go strictly by feats, then Jellal was never shown to train during the timeskip.

Technically, we can't assume that Current Jellal >>> Tartaros Jellal. There is no proof.

Otherwise, I can assume that Mard Geer's Memento Mori works 100%.

By the way, Mard Geer has shown to casually heal himself of all injuries.

Unless Jellal can do the same, which he can't, I see Jellal's chances of winning at 0%.

Mard Geer will keep casually healing himself. Only way Jellal can beat him is oneshot, and he clearly isn't doing that.

Mard Geer matches Jellal in everything evenly.

They are equals in terms of Speed, Strength, Stamina, and Power/Energy.

Mard Geer beats Jellal in terms of Durability and Mard Geer can casually heal himself.

For me, this is obvious... I stick with my original conclusion:

Mard Geer wins mid-diff.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
You know, if you guys go strictly by feats, then Jellal was never shown to train during the timeskip.

Technically, we can't assume that Current Jellal >>> Tartaros Jellal. There is no proof.

Otherwise, I can assume that Mard Geer's Memento Mori works 100%.

By the way, Mard Geer has shown to casually heal himself of all injuries.

Unless Jellal can do the same, which he can't, I see Jellal's chances of winning at 0%.

Mard Geer will keep casually healing himself. Only way Jellal can beat him is oneshot, and he clearly isn't doing that.

Mard Geer matches Jellal in everything evenly.

They are equals in terms of Speed, Strength, Stamina, and Power/Energy.

Mard Geer beats Jellal in terms of Durability and Mard Geer can casually heal himself.

For me, this is obvious... I stick with my original conclusion:

Mard Geer wins mid-diff.
What sort of stupid logic is that? I guess Erza and Lucy did train either despite Majariv pointing out how Lucy's magic increased.

Mard Geer has never casually healed himself nor would he survive one Grand Chariot.

Jellal pretty much outclasses Mard in almost everything? Attack? Yup. Speed? Yup? Defence? Yup.

Jellal murders Mard, it's quite sad there's debate in such obvious stomp threads.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
What sort of stupid logic is that? I guess Erza and Lucy did train either despite Majariv pointing out how Lucy's magic increased.

Mard Geer has never casually healed himself nor would he survive one Grand Chariot.

Jellal pretty much outclasses Mard in almost everything? Attack? Yup. Speed? Yup? Defence? Yup.

Jellal murders Mard, it's quite sad there's debate in such obvious stomp threads.
I have to agree here. Heck, I don't even consider Mard superior to Jacob and yet Mard got a massive win. Do people not understand that Mard Geer is not Spriggan tier?

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
How could Jellal be able to cast Grand Chariot faster than Mard Geer can cast Memento Mori? Yes, Jellal may be in possession of some of the strongest spells, but the fact is that they take a long time (Grand Chariot took a whole chapter) to cast.

Once Jellal tries to cast a spell, Mard Geer will technically oneshot him with Memento Mori.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States

Sad? The only sad thing here is how much you love Jellal.

Show me the pages where Jellal outclasses Mard in everything you said above. That's right, I don't think you can.

The way Jellal performed against OS/Neinhart looks exactly the same as the way Mard Geer performed against Gray/Natsu.

Actually, Mard Geer performed way better against Fairy Tail's strongest duo than Jellal against fodders.

As for your comment "Mard Geer never casually healed himself". Let me show you the pages:

Go back and read the pages. Mard Geer sustained a heavy injury on his left-lower abdomen from Gray's IDeS attack.

As you can see, within a few seconds, that injury casually disappeared.

And by the way, Grand Chariot is weak AF.

Secret Art Dragon Force Natsu couldn't even lay a scratch on Mard Geer. Don't tell me Mard Geer would be obliterated by 1 Grand Chariot.

That's absurd and pathetic.

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Show me the pages where Jellal outclasses Mard in everything you said above. That's right, I don't think you can.

The way Jellal performed against OS/Neinhart looks exactly the same as the way Mard Geer performed against Gray/Natsu.

Actually, Mard Geer performed way better against Fairy Tail's strongest duo than Jellal against fodders.

As for your comment "Mard Geer never casually healed himself". Let me show you the pages:

Grand Chariot is weak AF. Secret Art Dragon Force Natsu couldn't even lay a scratch on Mard Geer. Don't tell me Mard Geer would be obliterated by 1 Grand Chariot.
I wouldn't call Grand Chariot weak when it one-shotted Neinhart who is a Spriggan. To do that you need to be pretty powerful in general, and Mard definitely isn't Spriggan level. Even if Mard healed some of his injuries, he still has no feats of taking an attack as powerful as that Grand Chariot which even outclasses the Dragon Slayer's Secret Art Tartarus DF Natsu used on Mard, which nearly took him out. If you look back at Chapter 411, you can clearly see Mard barely held on to keep fighting after that, which when he went to attack Natsu he got finished off by Gray.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't call Grand Chariot weak when it one-shotted Neinhart who is a Spriggan. To do that you need to be pretty powerful in general, and Mard definitely isn't Spriggan level. Even if Mard healed some of his injuries, he still has no feats of taking an attack as powerful as that Grand Chariot which even outclasses the Dragon Slayer's Secret Art Tartarus DF Natsu used on Mard, which nearly took him out. If you look back at Chapter 411, you can clearly see Mard barely held on to keep fighting after that, which when he went to attack Natsu he got finished off by Gray.

Neinhart never had a feat of having good durability.

In fact, at most, he had average durability. For a Spriggan though, he has crap durability.

Neinhart was hardly even considered strong... He was easily one of the weakest Spriggan. So Spriggan Tier means nothing to me.

Ajeel is a little above Erza.... Nothing impressive compared to the feats of the Demon King himself.

The way I see it, Mard Geer can tank Grand Chariot easily and just heal himself from any minor wounds that he incurs.

Mard was unfazed by Natsu's attacks.... the only reason why Mard was defeated was because Gray had a magic that was a perfect counter to him.

Otherwise, even Gray and Natsu together could never come close to defeating Mard Geer.

Jellal.S.N

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
To be honest, I never felt Neinhart had that bad a durability. Take Ajeel for example who can supposedly be one-shot by Laxus. Does that also mean he has crap durability when he took on Erza and Natsu for sometime and then got beat only by Jupiter? The way I see it, they are powerscale setters (if thats a word) for Jellal and Laxus, just to show how strong and badass they have become. Same with the Laxus v Hades thing. So I still give it to Jellal who has grown tremendously strong over the time skip.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neinhart is extremely bad durability. I say average to be nice.

Jellal isn't that powerful. His Sema didn't kill any of Pre-Timeskip OS members in Tartaros.

Jellal's Grand Chariot killed Neinhart in Alvarez.

Grand Chariot and Sema are equals more or less.

If Neinhart died and OS members (like Racer and Angel) survived...... Neinhart has complete total crap durability.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Jellal isn't that powerful. His Sema didn't kill any of Pre-Timeskip OS members in Tartaros.

If Neinhart died and OS members (like Racer and Angel) survived...... Neinhart has complete total crap durability.
Jellal wasn't trying to kill the Oracion Seis members, rather he was just trying to defeat them to then recruit them to Crime Sorciere. Without the intent to kill, he wouldn't be killing anyone.
In Alvarez, Jellal had the intent to kill Neinhart, thus he didn't hold back and let rip with a serious Grand Chariot. Its a different situation to the fight with the Oracion Seis members because Jellal only had the intent to kill when he fought Neinhart. Now, Jellal's Sema in Tartarus was shown to be stronger than Grand Chariot, so it should be stronger this arc. If you're going to ask why Jellal didn't use Sema instead of Grand Chariot becasue Sema is the stronger attack, then I remind you of Sema's large AoE that would cause collateral damage given Jellal had the intent to kill.

In the tournament fights, the combatants have the intent to win by any means necessary. If that means having to go straight out into their aces to kill the opponent, they'll do that. Jellal's Grand Chariot and Sema should both be able to take out Mard Geer when Mard was nearly defeated by Tartarus DF Natsu's attack. Now Jellal has meteor to zip about in the air as well, so its not a given if Mard could hit him with Memento Mori either as its a more ground-based attack, so given that and Mard not having feats of taking properly strong attacks of the tier Jellal showed this arc (Grand Chariot on Neinhart), I'd say Jellal wins. Mard is seemingly being overhyped here.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jellal wasn't trying to kill the Oracion Seis members, rather he was just trying to defeat them to then recruit them to Crime Sorciere. Without the intent to kill, he wouldn't be killing anyone.
In Alvarez, Jellal had the intent to kill Neinhart, thus he didn't hold back and let rip with a serious Grand Chariot. Its a different situation to the fight with the Oracion Seis members because Jellal only had the intent to kill when he fought Neinhart. Now, Jellal's Sema in Tartarus was shown to be stronger than Grand Chariot, so it should be stronger this arc. If you're going to ask why Jellal didn't use Sema instead of Grand Chariot becasue Sema is the stronger attack, then I remind you of Sema's large AoE that would cause collateral damage given Jellal had the intent to kill.

In the tournament fights, the combatants have the intent to win by any means necessary. If that means having to go straight out into their aces to kill the opponent, they'll do that. Jellal's Grand Chariot and Sema should both be able to take out Mard Geer when Mard was nearly defeated by Tartarus DF Natsu's attack. Now Jellal has meteor to zip about in the air as well, so its not a given if Mard could hit him with Memento Mori either as its a more ground-based attack, so given that and Mard not having feats of taking properly strong attacks of the tier Jellal showed this arc (Grand Chariot on Neinhart), I'd say Jellal wins. Mard is seemingly being overhyped here.

Regarding the strength of the attack.. I say it was pretty fair:

Jellal used Tartaros-level Sema to take out Pre-Timeskip Oracion Seis.

Jellal used Alvarez-level Grand Chariot to take out Alvarez-level Neinhart.

For their relative timeskips, both OS and Neinhart experienced the same level of magnitude. Whether Jellal was trying to kill OS is irrelevant.

The size of that Sema ball was big enough and caused a MAJOR explosion that could have killed OS.

You can say the ball of Sema was exaggerated, but I'm going straight by the manga scans.

You act like Jellal is invincible in the air...

Mard Geer can fly too you know.

Jellal flying around like a bird with Meteor isn't going to do him any good but get him killed.

At what point in Tartaros did DF Natsu nearly defeat Mard Geer???? Go back and read the scans:

Does this look like a "nearly defeated" condition?

Because Mard Geer even said "You could do better than that!"

You see, this is what happens when you hype a character too much.

Neinhart, a guy with little and terrible feats, but was hyped and labeled to be strong because he had "Spriggan" behind his name.

On the other hand, Mard Geer, one of Fairy Tail's strongest adversary that was beaten by a Slayer against his type.... who showed countless impressive feats that will go down famous in Fairy Tail history.....

Yet, everybody is saying Neinhart >> Mard Geer???

Please.. Jellal's victory over Neinhart means absolutely nothing...

Last edited:

Jellal.S.N

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I can't even take this seriously when you compare Grand Chariot with Sema which is much weaker but clearly improved by the timeskip. Otherwise, your arguments seem valid though I feel Jellal will win.

COMPLETELY AGREED. He wasn't trying to kill them and this is sort of the trend with Fairy tail. If he would have killed them, they wouldn't have joined his guild. Mard Geer is receiving more support than I thought. I feel Jellal would win and this won't even be that close.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
[mod=SirSamuel016] And that is the end of discussion for this fight between Jellal Fernandes and Mard Geer. Voting will remain open until 12pm GMT on the 15th of June, 2016 [/mod]
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Here is the Result:
Jellal FernandesMard Geer Tartarus
55 Votes7 Votes
Jellal Fernandes Advances. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.