Voting Round 1 - JJBA: Steel Ball Run vs. Death Note | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 JJBA: Steel Ball Run vs. Death Note

Who Wins?

• Steel Ball Run

• Death Note

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run
Hirohiko Akira

[TD="auto;vertical-align: bottom;border-width: 0px;font-size: 0!important;"]-[/TD][TD="auto%;border-width: 0px;"]

Death Note
Tsugumi Ogha
[/TD]​

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Death Note's first half or so is 10/10. After a certain death, it lost a fair bit of momentum. Overall it's still pretty good, and has some amazing art as well. This is the type of series that gets people into anime/manga so I expect it to do well.

Jojo I've never read...

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh dear, it looks like people don't know the about the best Jojo Part.

We got cowboys doing some Around the World in 80 Days type 'ish looking for the bones of Jesus F-ing Christ.

We got one of the best fictional politicians in the form of President Funny Valentine, the most patriotic, dimension hopping, violin toe playing, man in the world.

Look at that sheer sexiness.

We got two great protagonists, one with a gold grill with his name on it, who throws Steel Balls at peoples faces and a paraplegic gunslinger who shoots his finger nails instead of bullets.

And we got a magnificent bastard of a jockey who can turn anything, I repeat, anything, dinosaur related. He can turn your ass in a dinosaur lamp post if he so damn pleases.

This series is the best goddamn best friend road trip in the world.

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Always wanted to write in such a dramatic way ! :hmph

You can In any situation there's a little secret for that you just need...

I'm sorry @GrySun but I can't vote for Jojo when it faces DN :feelsbadman

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Favoring SBR. It is the favorite JoJo part among modern and western readers. It has the charms of JoJo(good and eccentric characters, clever and epic battles) and the story is more detailed. The main cast is also limited to two(or maybe four at best) characters: Johnny Joestar and Gyro Zeppeli. To me, Johnny's development is particularly interesting to see. It's widely acknowledged as the part where Araki's art is at its best.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sadly I didn't manage to read the remaining manga parts of Jojo yet :( Death Note still is among my favourites though, so this probably would've been a tough choice anyway. As it stands though, Death Note has my vote.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Jojo is a classic I need to read/watch, but Death Note kind of falls off the map.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have yet to read that far into Jojo's yet. I can probably get there in 5 days :hmm

The President

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Steel Ball Run is a masterpiece that nails everything it sets out to nail. Best arc (yes, its technically an arc in jojo, not a series) I've ever read. 10/10 Fights. 10/10 Story. 10/10 Setting. 10/10 Art. 10/10 Plot and 20/10 enjoyment value. Death Note is great too but this ones a blow-out for me.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Death Note is one of the best shows no doubt about it and one of my favourite too.

But Jo Jo with Johnny Joestar it's a great part.

@Reebi @SleipnirX

You should read and see Jo Jo.

Regardless if Death Note wins I won't be unhappy.

Last edited:

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a feeling Jojo's part 7 is far more unknown than Death Note here, but honestly, this is a clear decision in part 7's favor for me. Death note is an instant classic, and will forever be one of THE gateway Anime/Manga for the medium, but it suffers from a far weaker second half than its first. It loses a lot of the magic and intrigue as it becomes more about just mind games with far less meaning behind them. Death Note still is strong, but part 7 is simply one of the best manga experiences out there. This, of course, assumes one actually likes Jojo's style, but to me, this is Araki at his best. After years of staying in the shonen demographic, and creating tons of iconic and classic content, he now gets to be free from some of the constraints that often come with writing a shonen by moving to a seinen magazine. This shows with a more mature plot, some of the best characters and battles in the series, and easily the most complete experience a Jojo part has had so far. It may not be for everyone, but Jojo has buckets of charm and this is Jojo at its very best.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Only one fault of Death Note is

Light was defeated for the sake of defeating.And honestly I support Light with his aims.The way he was defeated left a slight low ending for a great series like Death Note.

Reactions: z.5

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Death Note is one of the best shows no doubt about it and one of my favourite too.

But Jo Jo with Johnny Joestar it's a great part.

@Reebi @SleipnirX

You should read and see Jo Jo.

Regardless if Death Note wins I won't be unhappy.
Well, I do have a nomination that is in the running and if I scratch your back you better scratch mine.

Also, Death Note was stale after L

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Here it is, the first match of Jojo. So I'll do my part here :
In case you don't read/didn't watch Jojo, read this part :
Jojo is a series that has spanned from 1986, its quite classic. The series has a very unique way of storytelling, it does so in Parts, each part features new themes, new villains and new characters with some old characters resurfacing, with each part having a Main Character nicknamed "Jojo", hence the name of the series. It is not only unique that way, but also each part's Jojo has special traits that fit him and the themes of the part he is in perfectly. Jojo is a great mix of tons of comedy and seriousness, creative fights, amazing characters and a LOT of funny memes. I can't recommend it enough. If you are interested in Jojo, start following Jojo ASAP to see why it deserves your vote here.

In case you watch the anime only, read this part :
Steel Ball Run, one of the best, if not the best thing I have read in manga. SBR has a mix of all the great points of the former Jojo parts and excels them in their great points, SBR has amazingly deep characters, great plot that flows naturally, very great and creative fights , an amazing villain in Valentine and it is very entertaining from begin to end. I cannot find one part of SBR that has been stall at all. The great Main characters in Johnny and Gyro ,the backstories the other characters got as well were amazing, the side villains of that part in particular were something else, and not to mention the very cool parallels done in that part which bring nostalgia from the other parts of Jojo. It definitely deserves your vote here when you know Jojo.

In case you read Steel Ball Run, this part :
If you experienced the greatness of SBR firsthand, then you would know why I believe it deserves a top ranking place in this tournament. Jojo doesn't seem to be as widely known as other series, but if SBR gets a good ranking in this tournament, maybe some people will start following Jojo, or read it in case they don't follow the manga, so let us win this one and the one after and after it and so until we get a place that does this part its justice. We can do this and we will!

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
You guys gotta convince me, I like both.. ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.