Voting Round 1 - JJBA: Steel Ball Run vs. Death Note | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 JJBA: Steel Ball Run vs. Death Note

Who Wins?

• Steel Ball Run

• Death Note

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Whenever you bring up JoJo to someone, 90% of the time the response is along the lines of "I've heard of it but never watched/read it", "I meant to watch/read it for decades but never got to it" etc.. It's a sad thing. JoJo is simply brilliant and it's so unique that no other series is even closely comparable to it.

I have a lot of history with Death note and I loved it so much back then. But several years later I notice a lot of it's flaws, and even back then the second half was a lot worse. Even if this was just between Death note and the first 2 parts of JoJo instead of SBR, JoJo would still be better.

Not expecting it to win this round or come much further due to what I said at the start, but I'd give my vote to JoJo anytime.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
To those who want a good example of this part of Jojo. Check out chapter 33-35. True Man's World. That's sheer Jojo.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Never cared for Jojo's. So I'm voting for Death Note.

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Stell ball room, because Death note was a deception from middle to the end.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
I voted SBR because thanks to that series, this could finally born:

I was tired of DIO :cookiestare

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Jojo is always the answer to everything. :kappa

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well if all of you say Part 8 is the best I'm really looking forward to that :zomg Guess I will have to read Part 5-7 soon, how do they fare compared to 1-4?

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well if all of you say Part 8 is the best I'm really looking forward to that :zomg Guess I will have to read Part 5-7 soon, how do they fare compared to 1-4?
7 is actually the best, thats the one thats nominated here. 8 is really good too, and has the potential to be one of the strongest parts too.

I would argue that 1-4 are actually the weaker parts (though they are still amazing), 5-8 are the best ones. You should read Jojo in color btw, all the parts up to half of Part 8 are fully colored and its the best coloring I've seen for any manga, truly dedicated fans.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Battle Tendency is still my favorite. Followed by Stone Ocean(Jolyne :hearts).

JoJolion is shaping up to become quite good as well.

Reactions: Nii

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
7 is actually the best, thats the one thats nominated here. 8 is really good too, and has the potential to be one of the strongest parts too.

I would argue that 1-4 are actually the weaker parts (though they are still amazing), 5-8 are the best ones. You should read Jojo in color btw, all the parts up to half of Part 8 are fully colored and its the best coloring I've seen for any manga, truly dedicated fans.
The series literally gets better with each part.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
When making my decision, do I need to take into account where Death Note
or do I have to force myself to remember where it actually ended?

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
When making my decision, do I need to take into account where Death Note
or do I have to force myself to remember where it actually ended?
Well, I agree for some part but on the other side...
(I'll put it in "spoiler" so people who haven't read/watched it dont shit on me)

I think Light dying like a worthless fiend was a great ending and the most fitting for the series, if it ended with L's death it would have felt so strange and with no conclusion (Ryuk announced the end for Light would only be him finding what he really is, that would only happen with his death). Also, that thing of Kira letting his guard down after years being the "death god" of the world, leading to him underestimating the duo Near/Mello was a good way of showing his downfall.

The problem was the very little tension those interactions held, Near wasn't even half as charismatic as Lyuzaki and Mello only started to grow in his final moments (when he decides to team up with Near). In addition the Death Note working as an insane plot device was used to the point of exhaustion and the cast lost a lot of presence and "relatability", if you know what I mean, Near's team and Light's team acting almost like fodder, save Aizawa and Light's father in his final moments.
Also Near outmatching Light like that felt a little rushed but that would need a longer talk.

Still Death Note is a masterpiece of manganime so Jojo is up against a very tough rival. Part 7 was so so fun to read, one of the best, I might not even vote in this one.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well, I agree for some part but on the other side...
(I'll put it in "spoiler" so people who haven't read/watched it dont shit on me)

I think Light dying like a worthless fiend was a great ending and the most fitting for the series, if it ended with L's death it would have felt so strange and with no conclusion (Ryuk announced the end for Light would only be him finding what he really is, that would only happen with his death). Also, that thing of Kira letting his guard down after years being the "death god" of the world, leading to him underestimating the duo Near/Mello was a good way of showing his downfall.

The problem was the very little tension those interactions held, Near wasn't even half as charismatic as Lyuzaki and Mello only started to grow in his final moments (when he decides to team up with Near). In addition the Death Note working as an insane plot device was used to the point of exhaustion and the cast lost a lot of presence and "relatability", if you know what I mean, Near's team and Light's team acting almost like fodder, save Aizawa and Light's father in his final moments.
Also Near outmatching Light like that felt a little rushed but that would need a longer talk.
I am not sure I agree.

I think it ending with Light winning was a far superior and fitting conclusion to the story.

It wasn't really a series with strong and clear morals - Light was not a good guy, but his actions ended up with a world without crime.
His violence brought true peace, so to speak.

It leads to questions about just how far ends can end up justifying the means.

It also doesn't help that, as you pointed out, L's successors really were dull, boring, characters.
At least compared to L they were.

I am not a huge fan of 'sure, we aren't as awesome as the guy who has just died, but together we are far superior' kind of characters.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I did not want to resort to this but if you vote for jojo I'll give you not one, but TWO cookies.

Battle Tendency is still my favorite. Followed by Stone Ocean(Jolyne :hearts).
Jolyne for best jojo.

The series literally gets better with each part.
pretty much. 7 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 for me. 8 could fall anywhere between equal to 4 to above 5 for me. I dont think 7 will ever be beat though. A true masterpiece.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I did not want to resort to this but if you vote for jojo I'll give you not one, but TWO cookies.

Jolyne for best jojo.

pretty much. 7 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 for me. 8 could fall anywhere between equal to 4 to above 5 for me. I dont think 7 will ever be beat though. A true masterpiece.
I love Jolyne, she might very well be my favorite fictional female character but Young Joseph is still the best to me. I doubt Araki will create a character I will like more than him.

Hopefully Jolyne will still be voiced by Sawashiro when SO will be adapted.

Status
Not open for further replies.