Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 198 - Spoilers & Discussion | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 198 - Spoilers & Discussion

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Athrin

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good chapter but Maki continues to offer me nothing as a character.

TheRival05

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know Gojo's domain has a sure hit kill effect, but it seems to more like an AoE that once you're in, you are caught in it and there is no way out. That's why I am a bit debating whether Maki/Toji are really immune from its effects. Sukuna's domain is also an AoE that just attacks anything within the specified range irrespective of whether it is a living being or an inanimate object.
But thats the thing. It was never confirmed if Gojo's domain was a sure-hit technique.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don't know about Sukuna's DE rules, but Gojo's ability destroys everything on a molecular lvl, in that case it doesn't matter if the person has cursed energy or not. So Toji and Maki are probably not immune to the skill, besides, even if they were immune, Gojo has so many more ways to defeat an opponent that i don't think it's even fair to put him in a "human lvl" debate. :3c
Sukuna can attack both things with and without cursed energy, Cleave targets those with cursed energy and adjusts accordingly to cut them down, and Dismantle targets what doesn't have cursed energy. Hence wiping out Shibuya.

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Joker
But thats the thing. It was never confirmed if Gojo's domain was a sure-hit technique.
Gojo's sure-hit is the sensory overload that comes with Infinite Void. Nanami used it as an example alongside Mahito's sure-touch in Self-Embodiment of Perfection as an ability to that ensures victory once it traps the opponent inside.

Another proof as to its sure-hit is the fact that Gojo could not choose between the natural cursed spirits, transfigured humans, and regular humans when he unleashed his 0.2 second Domain Expansion in Shibuya; everyone was affected and stunned by default.

At the end of the day, however, the ability is a cursed technique and magical in nature; he is simply simulating infinite stimuli.
Maki can at the VERY LEAST not be trapped inside due to her bypassing barriers, and at MOST not be affected by it even if she enters Infinite Void, as it will fail to recognize her as a target.
This is huge.

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Tired of the Maki-Toji comparisons all the time, they are doing nothing but hurting her character. Is it just not possible for her to be her own character instead of being like someone who was there before her? :oh

Ultimately Naoya's return did nothing but tell us what we already knew, that she was similar to Toji. Because we didnt get that the first time with the clan massacre? Smh.

Only silver lining is that he's finally gone for good (I hope :-_- )

LYEL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Good chapter but Maki continues to offer me nothing as a character.
Why? And which character offers something to you? And why?
Just curiosity.

Sukuna can attack both things with and without cursed energy, Cleave targets those with cursed energy and adjusts accordingly to cut them down, and Dismantle targets what doesn't have cursed energy. Hence wiping out Shibuya.
Can you tell the chapter explaining Sukuna's DE effect? I don't remember to be honest.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Tired of the Maki-Toji comparisons all the time, they are doing nothing but hurting her character. Is it just not possible for her to be her own character instead of being like someone who was there before her? :oh

Ultimately Naoya's return did nothing but tell us what we already knew, that she was similar to Toji. Because we didnt get that the first time with the clan massacre? Smh.

Only silver lining is that he's finally gone for good (I hope :-_- )
The chapter was like "12 years after Toji death, someone with same capabilities is born" unfortunately the comparison will be inevitable because Toji came before her. But like i said in the comments, i think Maki is better because we saw all her trajectory till now, Toji just came out of nowhere. That's why i simpatize with her more than Toji who was just strong for the sake of Gojo and to show how OP his eyes are. Maki at least did everything she said she would: came back to her clan, showed how strong she was, wiped out all of them. Toji did nothing of this, he was incomplete as a character imo.
At least i'll never understand why all the hate on Maki

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I dont hate her, I hate how Gege writes her. She was better before the clan massacre arc imo, currently it just feels like she is being written as an extension of someone else (Toji),and that is super annoying as a reader.

Neala897

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I dont hate her, I hate how Gege writes her. She was better before the clan massacre arc imo, currently it just feels like she is being written as an extension of someone else (Toji),and that is super annoying as a reader.
Mmmm she wasnt. But she was better after massacre than she is now in my option

Riverskull

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The problem with Maki currently is that we barely have got any instrospection of her character after the massacre and the death of Mai, but the only thing that keeps coming up is the comparisons with Toji in terms of feats. Thats a big part of the reason why some people are calling her Toji clone and nothing else rn, despite not being objetively true.

But now that the fight has ended, and she finally peaked reaching his level, i hope we can get more from her instead of just more powerscaling, and put the comparisons to rest. A good interaction with Kamo in the aftermatch or with the rest of her friends where she actually opens up more, should be good.

I think this is all a consequence of Geges pacing and priorities with fighting and powerscaling. He barely lets characters to have downtime moments where they can interact and reflect.

Last edited:

Ero-Sanji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Maki is Zaraki Kenpachi but with an actual personality and people can't handle it. You love to see it.

TheRival05

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gojo's sure-hit is the sensory overload that comes with Infinite Void. Nanami used it as an example alongside Mahito's sure-touch in Self-Embodiment of Perfection as an ability to that ensures victory once it traps the opponent inside.

Another proof as to its sure-hit is the fact that Gojo could not choose between the natural cursed spirits, transfigured humans, and regular humans when he unleashed his 0.2 second Domain Expansion in Shibuya; everyone was affected and stunned by default.

At the end of the day, however, the ability is a cursed technique and magical in nature; he is simply simulating infinite stimuli.
Maki can at the VERY LEAST not be trapped inside due to her bypassing barriers, and at MOST not be affected by it even if she enters Infinite Void, as it will fail to recognize her as a target.
This is huge.
That's true.

Just curiosity.

Can you tell the chapter explaining Sukuna's DE effect? I don't remember to be honest.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

The chapter was like "12 years after Toji death, someone with same capabilities is born" unfortunately the comparison will be inevitable because Toji came before her. But like i said in the comments, i think Maki is better because we saw all her trajectory till now, Toji just came out of nowhere. That's why i simpatize with her more than Toji who was just strong for the sake of Gojo and to show how OP his eyes are. Maki at least did everything she said she would: came back to her clan, showed how strong she was, wiped out all of them. Toji did nothing of this, he was incomplete as a character imo.
Chapter 119

Athrin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curiosity.
Who I like shouldn't matter as that has nothing to do with Maki, and I fact enjoy a large majority of the characters in the series, so I won't name someone specific. But to address what you're poking at, exactly has Maki done as a character since introduced? The whole "hard outer shell, soft on the inside" thing I find super played out with characters. Even now it was explained Maki never had a mentor because she never thought to lean on others to become strong. So what exactly has been her motivation, and now that she has massacred the entire clan, what's next for her? I'm not really interested in the fact her having no curse energy spawns the conversation that's been going on, but her relative to the story so far is super boring to me given she's a pretty central character at this point.

29views

Reaction score
Country
St Lucia
I like Maki's development as a whole. Her character is a reflection of Toji. She was a black sheep with no cursed energy and was looked down upon in a misogynistic clan. Both of her parents gave up on her and looked at her as a failure that ruined their lives. She refused to give up on herself and vowed to surpass those expectations. Once Mai died, she gained the ability to be fully realized like Toji. But unlike Toji, she didn't "throw it all away", and decided to do what he never did and destroyed their clan. She also has people that she can rely on and she has people that she wants to save and protect. I think people are overthinking her character. She's reached a point where she's finally free from everything that shackled her but she did it in a completely different way than Toji. As for her desires and motivations, how is it any different than Yuta? Nobody is asking what his motivations are or what's next for him? It's the same as everyone else, to free Gojo.

Also, I wonder if Yuji will ever become a sorcerer capable of using DE.

TheRival05

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Maki's development as a whole. Her character is a reflection of Toji. She was a black sheep with no cursed energy and was looked down upon in a misogynistic clan. Both of her parents gave up on her and looked at her as a failure that ruined their lives. She refused to give up on herself and vowed to surpass those expectations. Once Mai died, she gained the ability to be fully realized like Toji. But unlike Toji, she didn't "throw it all away", and decided to do what he never did and destroyed their clan. She also has people that she can rely on and she has people that she wants to save and protect. I think people are overthinking her character. She's reached a point where she's finally free from everything that shackled her but she did it in a completely different way than Toji. As for her desires and motivations, how is it any different than Yuta? Nobody is asking what his motivations are or what's next for him? It's the same as everyone else, to free Gojo.

Also, I wonder if Yuji will ever become a sorcerer capable of using DE.
Still wondering when they will get around the Sukuna's techniques will slowly be engrained in Itadori's body cause he needs a power-up badly.

LYEL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What people fail to understand is how Maki suffered and how her upbring constructs her character as a human being. The reason most of us liked her better at the beginning is because even with all the disadvantage she had, she was strong compared to others, but it didn't take i think not even 40 chapter for Maki's powers to become obsolete and put her on hold for years. Imagine yourself giving your all to become strong and no matter what you do, in the end you will never be relevant for anybody. Just see Shibuya arc for example, Maki and Nobara were told all the time to get the hell out of there because they were too weak to fight with the others, but they were too prideful to run away and both suffered heavy consequences for this decision. Both girls were the weakest of their teams (always been saved by the others), now Maki has changed, and if Nobara comes back she's coming back changed too and stronger, if not, there won't be the need of a cheerleader on the background for Yuuji, Yuta and Megumi, and Nobara will be treated as dead weight again compared to the characters who became stronger now, so basically, she would be Maki before Perfect Preparation arc: useless in comparision to the others.
Btw, it was obvious years ago that Maki would be Toji's sucessor. But the difference is that she was really developed as a character and we could follow her steps to become stronger and that makes a good difference.
I actually don't know either what's going to happen with Maki now that she exteminated her clan, her first objective was to go back to the Zen'ins, become the clan head, make it into a better place for her sister to live and prove to them she could become a first class sorceress even without cursed energy (she never gave a damn about saving people before, it was only a means to an end). Well... she kinda of did that, but lost Mai, erased the people who got used to jugde and bully her and her sister, became more than strong and is now in the culling game. I dunno what the higher ups (if they are still alive) are going to do to her when they find out she was the one who destroyed one of the biggest 3 clans alone. Imo, Maki is not even considered a JJH anymore. I think she will go solo after everything is over and maybe go overseas, because there's nothing holding her down in the country anymore.

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Called it before, calling it again: the "golden age" of cursed that Kenjaku or whatever his name has created is going to be countered with some sort of mass heavenly restriction. If completely taking away a person's cursed energy results in essentially a captain america style super human, doing so en-masse would be a pretty good way to counter Kenjaku's plans.

Incidentally, I'm guessing that Yuji was already born as an experiment in that direction: a cursed womb death painting with heavenly restriction applied, with the later addition of becoming a Sukuna vessel.