Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 221 - Spoilers & Discussion | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 221 - Spoilers & Discussion

baqar khani

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Early TL

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
everything. I don't understand the "game". I don't understand the Tengen shanenigans, I don't understand the US army barging in.

I found this manga quite fun, until shibuya. then it's just non sense to me. I d'ont know what's happening. :(
What is there to understand?

However, everything seems very clear to me.

The aim of the game is to collect as much cursed energy as possible in order to accelerate the fusion with Tengen.

Because of this, Kenjaku caused the sorcerers of the past to come back to life and caused the powers to awaken in modern humans such as Higuruma.

The invasion of the soldiers served precisely to make sure that even more cursed energy gathered.

As for Tengen, he has erected several barriers throughout Japan that limit the birth of curses. And Kenjaku used those barriers as the basis for the Culling Game barriers

So if Tengen had removed his barriers, the game would be over long before it even started

But he didn't because he would have returned the battle against the curses to how it was 1000 years ago, which would have resulted in countless casualties

So, he bet on the sorcerers to somehow defeat Kenjaku. But they all lost

Last edited:

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Chapter is out

GOJO SIMPS ASSEMBLE !

Idkwhatanameis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Would be funny if he wins then becomes evil.

lexx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
So let's see if I get JJK's timeline and historical comparisons right.

Anyone come correct me if I'm wrong.

Heian era Japan: basically an era of horror, complete with curses and sorcerers analogous to Sengoku era warlords. . Sure there's strong sorcerers but the overall level of cursed energy flowing about is just nuts. Violence abounds.

-AT SOME POINT during Heian era: Tengen puts up his barriers which don't...eliminate...Japan's swirling cursed energy but basically reduce it considerably. Or contain it? Not really sure here. The net effect of Tengen's barriers essentially was, overall, a pacification of Japan. Less cursed energy, less curses, less sorcerers. You could equate Tengen's influence to the overall effect of the Meiji Restoration & subsequent enacting of the Meiji Constitution which brought Japan essentially into the modern world.

Net effect of Tengen's barriers: analogous to the Sengoku period of Japan ending, suddenly ordinary people become less likely to give birth to curses or become sorcerers themselves. (the analogy here is that ordinary citizens were less likely to become victims of, or combatants in, war).

Flash forward many hundreds of years. While there are still sorcerers running about, they're far and few between. Same with curses. The entire sorcery society's nexus, Jujutsu High, has literally single digit numbers of students enrolled at two different campuses. Essentially you've got modern day Japan: a (mostly) peaceful, unarmed society, still with shadows lurking under the surface but mostly tranquil. Although things are overall more peaceful, just like in the real modern world, the level of "weapons" is still increasing. Domains are less common but have that whole unescapable sure-hit effect. Bloodline abilities have been refined and developed.

For WHATEVER REASON, even with the barriers in place, even with the now peaceful modern society, Japanese people are still putting out cursed energy at a scale that dwarfs the rest of the world Kenjaku's one of them. So it's not that the world is really peaceful, its underlying violence is being suppresed. There are people who don't like "peace" that's actually closer to fragile, enforced tranquility - and Kenjaku's one of them. Kenjaku might even be patterned on Josef Mengele - crazy dark scientist conducting disturbingly immoral experimentation on human life. Mengele would (hopefully) never be able to conduct his crimes in the modern era; so he (Kenjaku) is reverting the world back to one of war.

You also have Sukuna, who represents more than anything the idea of violence itself. His immortality is akin to the concept that the desire for war, for violent power, never dies. Even getting your hands on one of Sukuna's fingers makes you incredibly powerful, right? Kind of like handing a gun, this super rare forbidden object in Japan, to a violent criminal would increase their threat considerably.

And now, by absorbing Tengen and conducting the culling game, what Kenjaku's doing seems to be two things at once: He's returning Japan to the Warring State (Heian) era by reincarnating old warriors and warlords, and using cursed objects and manipulation of the brains of latent sorcerers to give birth, overnight, to a new generation of combatants. AND: he's using his scientific knowledge gained over many lifespans to take advantage of the chaos and advance the science of cursed energy all at once.

Gaku

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
no

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Satoru feels to me like what Kishimoto tried achieving with Kakashi but kept on failing at every turn.

Fun chapter. Not a fan of Gojo personally, but I like the goofy energy he brings to the manga. Definitely one of the most entertaining sensei characters we've had in a shonen manga :amuse

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Satoru feels to me like what Kishimoto tried achieving with Kakashi but kept on failing at every turn.
Odd, considering he's like the most popular character in the fandom.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Odd, considering he's like the most popular character in the fandom.
Who? Kakashi?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@HereNThere You should try JJK out. Would like a lot to see your thoughts on the series and present chapters :nod (If you are not already reading it, that is)

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Who? Kakashi?

@HereNThere You should try JJK out. Would like a lot to see your thoughts on the series and present chapters :nod (If you are not already reading it, that is)
My bad.

I was thinking that you talked about Gojo

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I kind of checked out on this arc mid way through, so I've largely been skimming through the recent chapters. I wouldn't really have anything discussion worthy to add. I do enjoy Maki's progression and Yuki's fight however. Gojo coming back has been overdue, but it's good because the villains have been having W's all over the place.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
But above all.... Why did Kenjaku make a pact with Angel?

Didn't he foresee that he would turn against him/her ?

Out

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
But above all.... Why did Kenjaku make a pact with Angel?

Didn't he foresee that he would turn against him/her ?

Out
There were actually cursed tools in existence which could have the same effect as Angel's cursed technique, in fact I think Gojo himself destroyed the ...rope?... that could've been used instead of Angel's cursed technique.

I'm increasingly thinking that the "evil mastermind's long term plans" wasn't a starting point for the manga. Some titles, like Fullmetal Alchemist for example: you can tell the writing basically revolves around the big bad's ultimate goal, and while that goal isn't exactly 100% understood by the heroes until it's too late to prevent, there are no inconsistencies in the writing as it approaches the climax.

JJK has inconsistencies galore in the identity and motivations and goals of its big bads. In terms of writing and pacing and introduction of characters JJK is honestly closer to western superhero comics than to well-written manga.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
There were actually cursed tools in existence which could have the same effect as Angel's cursed technique, in fact I think Gojo himself destroyed the ...rope?... that could've been used instead of Angel's cursed technique.

I'm increasingly thinking that the "evil mastermind's long term plans" wasn't a starting point for the manga. Some titles, like Fullmetal Alchemist for example: you can tell the writing basically revolves around the big bad's ultimate goal, and while that goal isn't exactly 100% understood by the heroes until it's too late to prevent, there are no inconsistencies in the writing as it approaches the climax.

JJK has inconsistencies galore in the identity and motivations and goals of its big bads. In terms of writing and pacing and introduction of characters JJK is honestly closer to western superhero comics than to well-written manga.
In Akutami's defense, I can say that I think it's very difficult to write a manga without inconsistencies with a fast pace like Jump's, especially considering that especially at the beginning you don't know if you'll continue.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In Akutami's defense, I can say that I think it's very difficult to write a manga without inconsistencies with a fast pace like Jump's, especially considering that especially at the beginning you don't know if you'll continue.
One thing that shonen super-power series tend to get bogged down in is the action and the magic powers game of paper-rock-scissor. If the fighting doesn't particularly contributing to character development or story arc, it doesn't particularly serve any purpose other than spectacle. And then you get into power level inflation issues because if the spectacle doesn't particularly advance the plot or character arcs, it needs something else to continue to entertain. DBZ stopped being interesting the moment literally everyone became capable of blowing up the f***ing planet.\

To go beyond mediocre and become worthwhile to read to conclusion, a title needs interesting characters, good villains, and a build up to a satisfying and logical climax. To become great, a title should also have something profound to say about the human condition and society in general.

There have been a few great shonen titles (Akumetsu, FMA, Battle Angel Alita, Trigun to name a few) but JJK's struggling to be a good one.

Last edited:

Riverskull

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
JJK has inconsistencies galore in the identity and motivations and goals of its big bads.
I dont see this tbh. The main thing is that we dont know the extension of what they want to achieve. But for example i find Kenjaku to be much more consistent and with stuff to back him up than someone like Aizen who became an almost meme character. The same with Sukuna who has been builded up since chapter 1 and there is still many stuff surrounded in mistery with him. But everything he has done feel very consistent with his character so far.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yet another entertaining chapter. I think the fight will play out like Kenjaku vs Yuki. Against almost anyone else Yuki's last resort of turning herself into a black hole would have been certain death, however Kenjaku's third technique (Antigravity System), allowed him to create fields that nullify the effects of gravity, by using his own body as a domain for the technique he was able to just barely survive. It'll be a similar case with Gojo and Sukuna. Sukuna will win, but only because he has a technique that is a perfect counter to Gojo's ultimate attack. Gege may even make it clear that Sukuna couldn't win without possessing Megumi and acquiring his technique.