Round of 16 - Laxus vs Gray | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Laxus vs Gray

Who advances?

• Laxus

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Gray

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
How the hell did Natsu come up here and why is he relevant?

Anyway, I think the biggest problem for Gray here is Laxus' speed, Gray did blitz Invel, but Laxus produced afterimages against Wahl and Zeref hyped him to be around Jellal's level of speed. I've settled on him giving Laxus a high-diff match, his intelligence and power should keep him in for a while, but eventually Laxus is going to hit him.

The only thing in Gray's arsenal that might cause Laxus some grief is his Destruction Fist, though I'm sure Laxus could deal with it via dodging if he can't tank it (which he should be able to, at least once anyway).
Natsu is gonna pop up here because Gray vs. Natsu is kind of a measuring stick to what Gray's capable of, even though we never saw healthy Gray go all out, and it was against a partial END. Though to be fair, Natsu has never shown ability to beat Laxus whatsoever, so it's hard to believe Gray would even stand a chance against Laxus, even if he and FKDR Natsu are almost even in power.

Isn't Laxus smart as well? Dude's definitely got experience anyway.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Natsu is gonna pop up here because Gray vs. Natsu is kind of a measuring stick to what Gray's capable of, even though we never saw healthy Gray go all out, and it was against a partial END. Though to be fair, Natsu has never shown ability to beat Laxus whatsoever, so it's hard to believe Gray would even stand a chance against Laxus, even if he and FKDR Natsu are almost even in power.
The bit in my post about Natsu was referring to a post earlier where Natsu wasn't even being used as a measuring stick, it was someone calling out another poster because they said that Laxus > FDKM Natsu and were using the comparison to scale Gray to Laxus. It was literally just someone saying that FDKM Natsu would beat Laxus, nothing to do with Gray at all.
Isn't Laxus smart as well? Dude's definitely got experience anyway.
He's fairly smart but Gray's smarter IMO. Admittedly, it's mainly because Gray's Ice-Make magic lets him be more inventive, but he's had other displays of intelligence like using traps again Partial E.N.D, using his magic + teamwork with Lyon to take down Racer, and using the environment to defeat Silver.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The bit in my post about Natsu was referring to a post earlier where Natsu wasn't even being used as a measuring stick, it was someone calling out another poster because they said that Laxus > FDKM Natsu and were using the comparison to scale Gray to Laxus. It was literally just someone saying that FDKM Natsu would beat Laxus, nothing to do with Gray at all.

He's fairly smart but Gray's smarter IMO. Admittedly, it's mainly because Gray's Ice-Make magic lets him be more inventive, but he's had other displays of intelligence like using traps again Partial E.N.D, using his magic + teamwork with Lyon to take down Racer, and using the environment to defeat Silver.
Ah, it was also directed at @DiMaria Yesta chan, although he can do whatever he wishes. I thought the poster said that out of butthurt, but w/e. It's not like we can use FDKM Natsu as any indication as Zeref probably wasn't trying, and he was hoping/preferred Laxus over Gray as an opponent to fight. Says it all, tbh.

Gray's pretty intelligent, with or without Ice-Make. It's what will probably help him stand a chance against Laxus. Has he ever fought him before?

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Not sure of this one. Demonic Gray faced a more impressive combatant in END, pound for pound, so I say he gets it.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Very tough battle. Probably the toughest yet, in this tournament. I'm giving Laxus the win, but with extreme difficulty. Gray is shown to be very powerfull, and i think people are underrating him a bit.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, in terms of this arc's feats only, Gray has Laxus outclassed by quite a margin.

Gray's best feat in Alvarez was demolishing a Spriggan in his base form with mostly CQC. I don't think Laxus has any feats capable of surpassing its impressiveness.

However, Laxus almost casually oneshotting Ajeel with a basic nuke comes fairly close to that.

With that said, Gray still does NOT win this match for me.

Laxus has less screentime, so if I factor in his hype and portrayal, he'll secure the victory, no doubt.

The fight would be close in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to say who wins this match. The person who advances here is obvious in my eyes.

Laxus wins.

LaGOAT

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
lol im thanking every1 that pick laxus. i dont need to explain every1 has brought some great points but laxus mid diff gray

Last edited:

DRE_DAY

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Honestly, in terms of this arc's feats only, Gray has Laxus outclassed by quite a margin.

Gray's best feat in Alvarez was demolishing a Spriggan in his base form with mostly CQC. I don't think Laxus has any feats capable of surpassing its impressiveness.

However, Laxus almost casually oneshotting Ajeel with a basic nuke comes fairly close to that.

With that said, Gray still does NOT win this match for me.

Laxus has less screentime, so if I factor in his hype and portrayal, he'll secure the victory, no doubt.

The fight would be close in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to say who wins this match. The person who advances here is obvious in my eyes.

Laxus wins.
i would disagree that Gray have better feat than laxus, Laxus also took down a Spriggan and he was nowhere near is full power on top of that, his objective wasn't just to beat Whal but to have him cure his magic barrier particle sickness. he manipulated that entire battle and then quickly dispose of whal as soon as he get what he wanted, then the speed feat in that battle Whal magic empowered bullet was moving in slow mo against Laxus.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
i would disagree that Gray have better feat than laxus, Laxus also took down a Spriggan and he was nowhere near is full power on top of that, his objective wasn't just to beat Whal but to have him cure his magic barrier particle sickness. he manipulated that entire battle and then quickly dispose of whal as soon as he get what he wanted, then the speed feat in that battle Whal magic empowered bullet was moving in slow mo against Laxus.

I disagree, even after he was cured by the anti-magic barrier particles, he still resorted to using Red Lightning to crush Wahl.

And Red Lightning is arguably his strongest spell up to date.

Gray was already tossing Invel around with basic punches in his base form.

In terms of feats from this arc, I would still give Gray the better ranking.

But Laxus has shown to be impressive in the past, and if I include his overall hype and portrayal, he would take this for me.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Had to think long and hard about this one. And my vote goes to Gray. Extreme Difficulty.

Throughout this whole arc, I felt Gray showcased better feats than Laxus. Power-wise, I rank Ice Devil's Zeroth Destruction Fist on the same level as Red Lightning. Durability-wise, Gray has a lot going for him, namely tanking E.N.D's roar (the same fire that caused Erza's arm to burn). In terms of MP, Gray is easily on Laxus' level.

The only advantage Laxus really has over Gray is speed. Lightning Body is incredibly fast. However, if I remember correctly, I don't think Laxus can attack unless he deactivates it. Either way, Gray's CQC skills and strategies can potentially overcome this weakness.

Overall, I can see Laxus winning this depending on how the fight goes. But it wouldn't be anything lower than High Difficulty...

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I disagree, even after he was cured by the anti-magic barrier particles, he still resorted to using Red Lightning to crush Wahl.

And Red Lightning is arguably his strongest spell up to date.

Gray was already tossing Invel around with basic punches in his base form.

In terms of feats from this arc, I would still give Gray the better ranking.

But Laxus has shown to be impressive in the past, and if I include his overall hype and portrayal, he would take this for me.
But Gray resorted to Zeroth Destruction Fist too, right?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Had to think long and hard about this one. And my vote goes to Gray. Extreme Difficulty.

Throughout this whole arc, I felt Gray showcased better feats than Laxus. Power-wise, I rank Ice Devil's Zeroth Destruction Fist on the same level as Red Lightning. Durability-wise, Gray has a lot going for him, namely tanking E.N.D's roar (the same fire that caused Erza's arm to burn). In terms of MP, Gray is easily on Laxus' level.

The only advantage Laxus really has over Gray is speed. Lightning Body is incredibly fast. However, if I remember correctly, I don't think Laxus can attack unless he deactivates it. Either way, Gray's CQC skills and strategies can potentially overcome this weakness.

Overall, I can see Laxus winning this depending on how the fight goes. But it wouldn't be anything lower than High Difficulty...
Nah, he can attack while in Lightning Body. On Tenrou when Hades started charging his spell to finish off Natsu, Laxus interrupted him by zapping his arm while he descended from the clouds, through the ship.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
But Gray resorted to Zeroth Destruction Fist too, right?

Yeah, he unleashed that only after Invel tried to freeze him using his Raiment Armor, which is capable of freezing almost everything.

Beforehand, Gray was inflicting major damage on Invel using only CQC in his base form.

Laxus was at full power and casted Red Lightning to oneshot Wahl, which is no doubt a good feat.

However, Laxus has never shown to severely injure a Spriggan with non-lightning punches.

That doesn't mean he isn't capable, but as far as feats go, he's the weaker candidate in that regard.

Most of the time, he fuses lightning into his fists before engaging in CQC.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah, he unleashed that only after Invel tried to freeze him using his Raiment Armor, which is capable of freezing almost everything.

Beforehand, Gray was inflicting major damage on Invel using only CQC in his base form.

Laxus was at full power and casted Red Lightning to oneshot Wahl, which is no doubt a good feat.

However, Laxus has never shown to severely injure a Spriggan with non-lightning punches.

That doesn't mean he isn't capable, but as far as feats go, he's the weaker candidate in that regard.

Most of the time, he fuses lightning into his fists before engaging in CQC.
Yeah but Invel isnt immune to any of Gray's attacks, the only reason Laxus "resorted" to Red Lightning as you say, was because Wahl was immune to every other attack(except Fairy Law). A normal spriggan dies, or at least gets heavily injured from one of Laxus' nukes.

As for not damaging a spriggan with non-lightning punches, true, but he wouldnt need to use non-lightning punches on Gray.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah but Invel isnt immune to any of Gray's attacks, the only reason Laxus "resorted" to Red Lightning as you say, was because Wahl was immune to every other attack(except Fairy Law). A normal spriggan dies, or at least gets heavily injured from one of Laxus' nukes.

As for not damaging a spriggan with non-lightning punches, true, but he wouldnt need to use non-lightning punches on Gray.

Well, if Gray was able to injure Invel using only regular punches in his base form, I would imagine that Laxus should also have been able to inflict damage on Wahl the same way.

Wahl being immune to lightning is another opportunity for Laxus to showcase his CQC skill without the use of magic.

And that's practically my point. In terms of feats, Gray's was better because he was able to toss a Spriggan around without using magic.

Of course, I'm also well aware that Laxus is likely capable of damaging Wahl with non-magic infused punches, but he didn't show it.

I attribute that to lack of screentime... and possibly plot reasons as well.

But at the end of the day, Gray does have the better feats in the current arc, but still loses to Laxus through hype and portrayal.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, if Gray was able to injure Invel using only regular punches in his base form, I would imagine that Laxus should also have been able to inflict damage on Wahl the same way.

Wahl being immune to lightning is another opportunity for Laxus to showcase his CQC skill without the use of magic.

And that's practically my point. In terms of feats, Gray's was better because he was able to toss a Spriggan around without using magic.

Of course, I'm also well aware that Laxus is likely capable of damaging Wahl with non-magic infused punches, but he didn't show it.

I attribute that to lack of screentime... and possibly plot reasons as well.

But at the end of the day, Gray does have the better feats in the current arc, but still loses to Laxus through hype and portrayal.
Better feats without the use of magic perhaps, but thats mostly cause Laxus hasnt really not used magic in a fight. But if we're talking feats with magic? Laxus' are better imo, destroying Wahl in one hit impressed me more than beating the crap out of Invel with several.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Better feats without the use of magic perhaps, but thats mostly cause Laxus hasnt really not used magic in a fight. But if we're talking feats with magic? Laxus' are better imo, destroying Wahl in one hit impressed me more than beating the crap out of Invel with several.

Well, for this particular battle, I'm taking into account both non-magic and magic feats.

Overall, I would say that Gray's best non-magic feats against Invel holds more significance over Laxus' magic feats against Wahl/Ajeel. Which is why I think Gray is superior in this arc compared to Laxus, if we go strictly by feats.

Magic-wise, Laxus may be slightly superior, but Gray isn't too far behind considering his Ice Devil Zeroth Destruction Fist trashed Invel in one hit and his DeS spells matched END evenly.

Of course, Gray had slayer advantage there, but END has always been a legendary character in my eyes.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah, he can attack while in Lightning Body. On Tenrou when Hades started charging his spell to finish off Natsu, Laxus interrupted him by zapping his arm while he descended from the clouds, through the ship.
Oh, well, I meant use a spell. But I do agree that Laxus can blitz somebody using lightning body which is why I think Gray will have a lot of trouble in this fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.