Discussion - Magic Power Types | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Magic Power Types

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
This is more so for myself because I haven't memorized all of this and I keep thinking about what kind of Magic someone is using when I see them now. I am just going to quote FKS's translation here.

It can be a good thread to talk about Magic abilities in general.

Magic is the mysterious force various creatures inhabiting Britannia possess. The force is diverse and classified into 9 types of magic.

There are very rare instances of a person possessing two or more types of magic. Among these people, one out of everyone possesses four or more types of magic. Such people are called Heroes.
  • Destruction type - Magic that directly attacks the target with natural forces like thunder or flame, or a non-natural dark force.
  • Alteration type - It modifies the properties of matter. There are a ton of varieties to it, like modifying an object's weight, the hardness or water into ice.
  • Restoration type - A force that heals the wounds or ailments. Its effects and scope are diverse. It is regarded to be mostly the Goddesses' magic.
  • Search type - Different forces, like locating a particular object or finding out how genuine a person is, have been identified.
  • Mental type - It is regarded to be able to manipulate a person's mind and their memories. Depending how it is used, it can be more powerful than the Destruction type.
  • Deception type - A magic that generates illusions or causes audition hallucinations. It is thought to be found in Fairies for the most.
  • Stealth type - A shadow force that lets one to approach their opponent without being noticed or track the opponent's movements from faraway.
  • Enchantment type - Unlike the Destruction type, it bestows a natural force, like a thunder or a flame, or a non-natural force to a tool or a weapon.
  • Oracle type - A force surpassing the human intellect, that predicts the weather or the future events. It is regarded to be the rarest of 9 types of magic.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
This is regarding natural innate powers, right?

There is something that I don't understand, and perhaps someone can clarify it for me. How do spells like Vivian's and Merlin's work? Can anyone learn them with enough practice? They seem to be entirely unrelated to innate powers but can emulate someone else's powers, like controlling the fire or thunder.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
This is regarding natural innate powers, right?

There is something that I don't understand, and perhaps someone can clarify it for me. How do spells like Vivian's and Merlin's work? Can anyone learn them with enough practice? They seem to be entirely unrelated to innate powers but can emulate someone else's powers, like controlling the fire or thunder.
I doubt everyone can learn them. I have been curious about this as well. At the moment it seems better to just judge them by their effects so something like Exterminate Ray should count as Destruction type etc.

Ann Firestar

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I think Merlins magic is some kind of learnable magic, that doesn’t have to be matched with persons birth magic.
Because Merlins birth magic is “infinity” which means she just have infinite amount of mana, and doesn’t need to spend any stamina on keeping spells active.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Oh, this is the first time I've seen this. So the implication here is that it's possible to have more than one type of innate magic? I can't think of an example of someone with more than one innate magic tbh.

My understanding here was that there was a difference between innate magic and spells and spells are theoretically accessible by anyone though probably it's more academic types that would actually have the talent for this.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Oh, this is the first time I've seen this. So the implication here is that it's possible to have more than one type of innate magic? I can't think of an example of someone with more than one innate magic tbh.

My understanding here was that there was a difference between innate magic and spells and spells are theoretically accessible by anyone though probably it's more academic types that would actually have the talent for this.
Not exactly several Innate Magics. But one Magic can fit several types(like Percival's). Or Ark which fits Destruction and Healing etc.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Not exactly several Innate Magics. But one Magic can fit several types(like Percival's). Or Ark which fits Destruction and Healing etc.
Oh, so this is an issue of more of an awkward translation? I was thinking that several innate magics could potentially fit into multiple categories. Say, king's disaster... which fits at least into destruction, alteration, restoration and enchantment... The amount of forms chastiefol has is not exactly set in stone so more types are viable. Creation also fits into destruction, alteration, restoration, enchantment... I suppose it could have substantial stealth functionality as well.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Oh, so this is an issue of more of an awkward translation? I was thinking that several innate magics could potentially fit into multiple categories. Say, king's disaster... which fits at least into destruction, alteration, restoration and enchantment... The amount of forms chastiefol has is not exactly set in stone so more types are viable. Creation also fits into destruction, alteration, restoration, enchantment... I suppose it could have substantial stealth functionality as well.
We had this talk in the thread when it was released actually. I think Disaster is only Enchantment or Enchantment/Alteration at best. Because it is used to amplify the effects of the plants. It's not like he creates these effects, they already exist and he makes them stronger/weaker.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
We had this talk in the thread when it was released actually. I think Disaster is only Enchantment or Enchantment/Alteration at best. Because it is used to amplify the effects of the plants. It's not like he creates these effects, they already exist and he makes them stronger/weaker.
Ah, right, I was thinking of the combination of disaster and the sacred tree. Though I think the description of disaster does allow for more potential types. A part of disaster, which we haven't seen in practice, is decay which supposedly the fairy king can use to manage nature. More broadly the ability grants king great control over life and death. We haven't seen some of this in practice but there should be room for destruction and restoration there.

OtakuFreak

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Does race-based magic count for this? Because if it does, people like Mel, Eliz, King and a lot of the upfront characters of Taizai are practically are heroes in terms of magic type. Although that would make sense since the sins and their allies are the most powerful out of their respective races/factions.

But I really don't see Nakaba giving a character like Elizabeth 5 different types of magic lol - surely it's only personal magic that counts?

Tristan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Where does DK's The Ruler fit in this classification of magic types?

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Where does DK's The Ruler fit in this classification of magic types?
I guess Restoration-Enchant? Since he either gets healed or buffed.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Because of Lancelot's design I sometimes forget that he is part Fairy. I found it weird how it was stated that Fairies are good at Illusion Magic when we didn't really see King or Elaine use it but with what happened in the last chapter when Mera tried to kill him, he might be able to use it.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Because of Lancelot's design I sometimes forget that he is part Fairy. I found it weird how it was stated that Fairies are good at Illusion Magic when we didn't really see King or Elaine use it but with what happened in the last chapter when Mera tried to kill him, he might be able to use it.
King wouldn't really need illusion magic when his spirit spear is at powerful as it is. Maybe Gloxinia used illusion magic when he infiltrated the dance party and nobody apparently noticed lol. And we saw Dahlia use brainwashing magic, which is kind of similiar I guess.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
King wouldn't really need illusion magic when his spirit spear is at powerful as it is. Maybe Gloxinia used illusion magic when he infiltrated the dance party and nobody apparently noticed lol. And we saw Dahlia use brainwashing magic, which is kind of similiar I guess.
You are implying that it's only used for cheap trick but since there is a whole category for it there must be some Deception Magics which are extremely powerful.

I think the only one we saw in NNT was used by one of the Weird Fangs in the first arcs where Mel and Diane fought each others.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
You are implying that it's only used for cheap trick but since there is a whole category for it there must be some Deception Magics which are extremely powerful.

I think the only one we saw in NNT was used by one of the Weird Fangs in the first arcs where Mel and Diane fought each others.
Besides invasion, it's pretty much the best type of deception magic that we saw.

The fact that Fairies can change their appearance, whether by just becoming fatter or ''becoming'' human is a hint at how it could be used in battle.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Besides invasion, it's pretty much the best type of deception magic that we saw.

The fact that Fairies can change their appearance, whether by just becoming fatter or ''becoming'' human is a hint at how it could be used in battle.
Invasion fits Mental type more. Gowther needs to hit his target to affect their minds.

Tristan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
We know that Percival was able to "mummify" Chion's arm by virtue of being the Knight of Death. We also know that he was able to undo that mummification by virtue of the same reason: being the Knight of Death.
So far, Tristan is still unable to cure/heal illnesses or curses:

Does that mean that using the "Plague mode", Tristan will be able to also inflict illnesses and curses in the same way Percival was able to mummify living bodies in his "Death mode"?
IIRC, both the DK and SD were able to inflict different types of curses ... so it makes sense that their grandchild, Tristan, will be able to use the power of Curses in the future as the knight of Plague.
What do you think about this?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Being able to inflict curses is insanely OP ... just think of these two curses:

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
We know that Percival was able to "mummify" Chion's arm by virtue of being the Knight of Death. We also know that he was able to undo that mummification by virtue of the same reason: being the Knight of Death.
So far, Tristan is still unable to cure/heal illnesses or curses:

Does that mean that using the "Plague mode", Tristan will be able to also inflict illnesses and curses in the same way Percival was able to mummify living bodies in his "Death mode"?
IIRC, both the DK and SD were able to inflict different types of curses ... so it makes sense that their grandchild, Tristan, will be able to use the power of Curses in the future as the knight of Plague.
What do you think about this?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Being able to inflict curses is insanely OP ... just think of these two curses:
Wouldn't rule it out. However, it might not be on the level as such powerful curses as Meliodas' and Elizabeth's. Those were very unique and extremely potent.

Also, if that's how their innate apocalyptic nature powers work then I'm truly worried about Gawain.... eating and regurgitating? Eww. XD