Hangout - Manga Wars 2017 - Hangout | Page 47 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Manga Wars 2017 - Hangout

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Personally i think Naruto came quite far,and i myself didn't expect it to lose against Gintama actually while i do like Gintama more i had thought after Naruto beat Berserk and Tokyo Ghoul it wouldn't fall against any Manga till the Semifinals actually.
With Fairy Tail i wouldn't be so sure actually,it was facing One Piece which has a huge Fanbase here on MH and furthermore was dragged down by it's not so great Ending/Conclusion of the War of which i personally think that it surely had an Influence on People's Decision in that Match.

And i honestly think that the Campaigning did play a fair part in that but yeah that's just me,the campaigning is first and foremost for the by you mentioned Reason imo. Which would be to try and influence some People's Decision on who to vote for in case they are struggling between 2 Series that they like to an Equal Amount.

I view these "Wars" more as a Matter of Preference actually,during all the Previous Rounds i mostly voted for the Manga that i liked more if i was conflicted on who to vote for i left it to the Nominators and their Campaigns.
Just my Opinion.

I thought somewhat along the lines of BluePegasus at first (on account of never participating in any “wars” before) but soon learned not to take this as a “let’s decide which is better”. It’s more of a “let each fan base bring whatever artillery they’ve got to the battlefield”. A lot of people here think of it as just a fun event and enjoy the campaigning, deal-making and backstabbing of it more than the actual debating, I think, and will vote against superior manga for silly reasons just as well as well-made points about the quality of the manga.

Throughout the event I’ve learned to think a little more like these people, but I get where Pegasus is coming from.

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

I thought somewhat along the lines of BluePegasus at first (on account of never participating in any “wars” before) but soon learned not to take this as a “let’s decide which is better”. It’s more of a “let each fan base bring whatever artillery they’ve got to the battlefield”. A lot of people here think of it as just a fun event and enjoy the campaigning, deal-making and backstabbing of it more than the actual debating, I think, and will vote against superior manga for silly reasons just as well as well-made points about the quality of the manga.

Throughout the event I’ve learned to think a little more like these people, but I get where Pegasus is coming from.
I've participated in many wars from here and I've done some brutal campaign as well (@Atom probably remembers). But I still think this should work as an event that decides what manga is the best of it all instead of which one had the best promo served by a forum member.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Every poll-based event here has popularity as a major factor. If that wasn't the case, Naruto would have had no chance against Berserk (:pjsalt), and some of the nominees would have never been nominated or advance very far because people were voting for the franchise instead of the actual manga.

Even if we wanted this to be a pure quality-based thing, there's too many subjective factors, we can't tell people how to vote. Plus, such a thing would be infinitely more boring and a chore to follow IMO.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
For Christ's sake, please stop this nonsense of a talk. If you really wish to know which manga is - objectively - the best from quality point of view, all you have to do is ask @Goral.

All this "mimimimi" is an utter and complete turn off.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Every poll-based event here has popularity as a major factor. If that wasn't the case, Naruto would have had no chance against Berserk (:pjsalt), and some of the nominees would have never been nominated or advance very far because people were voting for the franchise instead of the actual manga.

Even if we wanted this to be a pure quality-based thing, there's too many subjective factors, we can't tell people how to vote. Plus, such a thing would be infinitely more boring and a chore to follow IMO.
Where are you talking about? I never said this has to become a predictable competition. On the contrary, I'd very much APPRECIATE a contest that includes heavy debates that are interesting to follow. But potential discussions are turned into promo festines that attract no other responses than people praising the effort. It may be just me, but aside of me liking to read them they don't change my vision on a manga or whatsoever. People seem to use these campaigns as way to decide their vote because they want to do a favour. Or in other words, the one who serves the best campaign gets the most popularity for his/hers represented series. That prevents this event from being purely decided on what manga actually is the best. That's not 'more boring', that just makes the results in here more valuable.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
People seem to use these campaigns as way to decide their vote because they want to do a favour.
From what I've seen this is a bit overstated. A few have declared "_____ won me over, so I'll vote for _____". But this is mainly something that happened in earlier rounds. If someone feels compelled to vote in a poll between two series that they haven't read/completed, using this kind of judgment based on a campaign doesn't feel weird to me. But yeah, I don't expect this to be going on in the same magnitude in the later rounds, it's not like Gintama/HxH/FMA/OP are lacking in exposure/popularity.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Well, what about mangas you dunno about? With the campaigns you get input on them.
Even mangas you alrdy know about... why would getting a new perspective on them be something bad?
I appreciate and welcome the campaigns. They might change my vision on something. My own interpretation is defo not absolute, and the same goes for anyone, otherwise we wouldn't have discussions about any topic. Someone that is able to open my mind to something will get my vote for sure.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I'd campaign for just one vote, especially in a final. One vote might be the difference. Even if most people pick what they want there's still that minority who don't lean either way. Target this group with an endorsement of one or a smear campaign of the other. Comments in threads don't represent the total voters either so there's also people you'll not know about - they might just heed your call. Could be worth no votes too, but you won't know until the result is final.

:zomg

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, what about mangas you dunno about? With the campaigns you get input on them.
Even mangas you alrdy know about... why would getting a new perspective on them be something bad?
I appreciate and welcome the campaigns. They might change my vision on something. My own interpretation is defo not absolute, and the same goes for anyone, otherwise we wouldn't have discussions about any topic. Someone that is able to open my mind to something will get my vote for sure.
Okay, but what if my campaign praises a manga series that's actually incredibly bad? A few pics and some text can't form an actual opinion on something.

There are two sides of a story, and then there's the truth.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
FMA must win.

Last edited:

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
@syx
Why are you tagging me? The butthurt is real.

Reactions: syx

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I say just have fun. As for the result...

(Besides, Tower of God is objectively better than everything in this contest. So it's really just a battle for second best.:cheez)
@Jammin you take that back before I do this too you!

Wait, I already did...nevermind.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
For Christ's sake, please stop this nonsense of a talk. If you really wish to know which manga is - objectively - the best from quality point of view, all you have to do is ask @Goral.
I asked him, and he told me that it was Bleach.

You see guys, you all made a big mistake here, the ones fighting now are fakers! usurpers! blasphemous works that want to shake the throne!

Reset all!

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
If there’s any solace I will take from this war then I am glad my series didn’t lose to eye Bleach, a 12 year old girl, or a Kitsune infused Takumi that shouts “Believe It!”