Voting - Most Underrated Character | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Most Underrated Character

Most Underrated Character

• Kagura Mikazuchi

• Mirajane Strauss

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Use this thread to vote for the Most Underrated Character.

Kagura Mikazuchi
-
Mirajane Strauss
Voting rules:
  • You are allowed one vote
  • You are permitted to change your vote while polls are open
  • If there is a tie, a staff pick will break the lock
Voting closes on August 13th, 2017.

Mirajane - 8 Nominations
Gajeel - 5 Nominations
Jacob - 5 Nominations
Kagura - 4 Nominations
Lucy - 4 Nominations
Lyon - 4 Nominations
Juvia - 4 Nominations
Brandish - 3 Nominations
Sting - 3 Nominations
Cobra - 2 Nominations
Mard Geer - 2 Nominations
Meredy - 2 Nominations
Panther Lily - 2 Nominations
Zeref - 2 Nominations
Bacchus - 1 Nomination
Hades - 1 Nomination
Hoteye - 1 Nomination
Irene - 1 Nomination
Jose - 1 Nomination
Kyouka - 1 Nomination
Lahar - 1 Nomination
Laki - 1 Nomination
Levy - 1 Nomination
Loke - 1 Nomination
Makarov - 1 Nomination
Mest - 1 Nomination
Minerva - 1 Nomination
Nab - 1 Nomination
Natsu - 1 Nomination
Obra - 1 Nomination
Rogue - 1 Nomination
Rufus - 1 Nomination
Ur - 1 Nomination

Mirajane - 18 votes
Gajeel - 11 votes
Lucy - 16 votes

Kagura - 21 votes
Jacob - 20 votes
Lyon - 11 votes

Please forward any questions to the Awards Info thread.

Last edited:

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
That is the reason I voted for lucy as best female character, she has great moments but some stupid moments too. As for the bolded ones, this is the reason I think mira is underrated she was used to her full potential.
Mira is my second choice for most underrated here.

Your reasons are very good.

She's a good candidate to win For under-rating, ALL the females of this series are more underrated then men. Minus Mest and Lahar because nobody cares about them.

Kagura would be my third.

Mira wasn't truly underrated until Gmg/tartaros as the only other female S class mage of fairy tail. And one who was in theory "potentially stronger then Erza."

Lucy was underrated for most of series.

Even in the power rank a few months ago of Fiore characters here on MH, Lucy only barely made top 20 while Mira, Gajeel, and Kagura were all super high. In most beautiful aspect, Ultear, Erza, Kagura, Juvia, and Mira on considered to be more beautiful and better designed then Lucy. Also even in the fanservice which is supposedly "Lucy's thing" most guys actually like Erza fanservice and Mira fanservice better or random women based on personal taste like Ultear , Bisca, Laki, Seliah, Cana, Dimaria, and Kagura more.

So Lucy is underrated in every category.

I would be totally fine with Mira winning this since Mashima treatment of her has been abysmal since Gmg. Especially in tartaros and alvarez.

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Lucy is not really underrated. Mashima didn't make her strong intentionally despite having the potential, Unfortunately Mashima didn't give her insane power boost like everyone after tartarous. She is really behind when it comes to power ranking and it's totally unfair and annoying. It's actually painful to think about how this manga would have became if Lucy vs END was a thing but yeah whatever, She in not underrated.

Going with Gajeel because he is in the same tier like Des Gray and WSM Sting, Ppl actually rank him lower for no reason.

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
To me I feel that Lucy is the most underrated. Mainly because of the fanservice people just want to underestimate and consider her weak without even taking her strength into consideration given the feats she displayed with her Magic. It already was said it'll take large amount of Magic Power to open and sustain more than one Celestial Spirit gates simultaneously along with one after another. Her at first shown she was able to have five Zodiacs plus Plue for a short time, then being able to have three Zodiac gates opened while already at such a weakened state which allowed her to be capable to summon the Celestial Spirit King which Mard Geer didn't think somebody would be able to do that got her to save everyone from Alegria showcases she got potential and is considerably a very exceptional Mage with quite some power. But again only thing is people tend to downplay her due to the fanservice which prevents them from thinking would she be able to do pretty much anything which is why I find her very underrated.

Don't understand why many find Gajeel underrated though. Is it because of some saying he's not at Natsu's and Gray's level or something? He defeated a Spriggan so I really don't get it

And as for Mira, I don't really consider her to be underrated cause like we all know she's powerful and showcased how she deserves her status as an S-Class. She just lacks panel time and I think it has more to do with the people just being annoyed that she's not at/above Erza's level which is why they find her underrated.

Last edited:

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll go with Mirajane Strauss again, given the options.

She didn't get as many spotlights as I would've liked throughout the Alvarez Arc and it's a shame she never got a real solo battle against an actual Spriggan. In my opinion, her Demon Takeover Magic should have been showcased better against 1 of the 12.

For an S-Class wizard like her, she deserves a higher quality fight.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Voted for Mirajane Strauss.

I'm actually quite surprised by the difference in opinions here. Gajeel doesn't strike me as an underrated character. Well, at least not from the author's viewpoint. Underrated for me means an underestimation of one's potential. Underutilized is what I would describe Gajeel, especially in the latest arc.

The only time I felt Gajeel being downplayed was when he lost to Yomazu and Kawazu. Aside from that, his power level has been fairly accurate. In the Alvarez Arc, he had a solo fight against a Spriggan and defeated him. That in itself is worthy of being on Natsu's and Gray's level, in my eyes.

Lucy, while not as strong as the others, is a little bit underutilized as well. But to say her power level isn't accurately represented, I think that would be going too far. She definitely could use more feats, but nothing is out of the ordinary.

Now Mirajane, is truly underrated. Being one of Fairy Tail's strongest members, she barely has any fights to prove it. Most of the decent ones were early on in the series. In Tenrou, she was hindered by Lisanna (although I don't blame her). And in the GMG, she didn't even get a proper fight. Tartaros was okay at first, but the ending sort of made it seem like she would've lost without the help of Elfman. I'm not even going to start with the Alvarez Arc... Basically, Mirajane had so much potential but was downplayed almost every single time.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Voted for Mirajane Strauss.

I'm actually quite surprised by the difference in opinions here. Gajeel doesn't strike me as an underrated character. Well, at least not from the author's viewpoint. Underrated for me means an underestimation of one's potential. Underutilized is what I would describe Gajeel, especially in the latest arc.

The only time I felt Gajeel being downplayed was when he lost to Yomazu and Kawazu. Aside from that, his power level has been fairly accurate. In the Alvarez Arc, he had a solo fight against a Spriggan and defeated him. That in itself is worthy of being on Natsu's and Gray's level, in my eyes.

Lucy, while not as strong as the others, is a little bit underutilized as well. But to say her power level isn't accurately represented, I think that would be going too far. She definitely could use more feats, but nothing is out of the ordinary.

Now Mirajane, is truly underrated. Being one of Fairy Tail's strongest members, she barely has any fights to prove it. Most of the decent ones were early on in the series. In Tenrou, she was hindered by Lisanna (although I don't blame her). And in the GMG, she didn't even get a proper fight. Tartaros was okay at first, but the ending sort of made it seem like she would've lost without the help of Elfman. I'm not even going to start with the Alvarez Arc... Basically, Mirajane had so much potential but was downplayed almost every single time.
I don't understand your post, i'd like you to clarify stuff xD

From your point of view, here in this thread we have to determine who is the character who the author doesn't show love for?
If that's not what you meant i'm sorry.

In my eyes "underrated" means that the community, FT readers, think lowly of a character when this character is actually decent and deserves more credit than what he receives. With that in mind, Gajeel wasn't underrated (by people) when he lost to Yomazu and Kawazu; Hiro is responsible for that. Just like he's responsible for Mira's lack of screentime.

Also, you said in the begining of your post that Gajeel is "underutilized", and then you're saying that Mira is underrated because she has no feats. Isn't that being underutilized?

I'll agree that Mirajane IS underutilized by Hiro, but that's not, imo, what we have to judge, it's about people underrating her. I don't think she's underrated by people.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
In my opinion Lucy is the underrated here.Gajeel defeated a Spriggan solo so no way he should be underrated.Mirajane is strong but i don't think she is underated because fans tend to put her on Erza's level which is not the case.That's why there is an impression Mirajane is underrated.

But Lucy on the other hand shows that she is more powerful than people credit her.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Underrated how? How the fans see them? Their power? If either, then Lucy is definitely overrated while Mirajane would be the most underrated on the list. So I went with Mira.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't understand your post, i'd like you to clarify stuff xD

From your point of view, here in this thread we have to determine who is the character who the author doesn't show love for?
If that's not what you meant i'm sorry.

In my eyes "underrated" means that the community, FT readers, think lowly of a character when this character is actually decent and deserves more credit than what he receives. With that in mind, Gajeel wasn't underrated (by people) when he lost to Yomazu and Kawazu; Hiro is responsible for that. Just like he's responsible for Mira's lack of screentime.

Also, you said in the begining of your post that Gajeel is "underutilized", and then you're saying that Mira is underrated because she has no feats. Isn't that being underutilized?

I'll agree that Mirajane IS underutilized by Hiro, but that's not, imo, what we have to judge, it's about people underrating her. I don't think she's underrated by people.
Hmm... I see what you mean.

I agree that the audience determines whether a character is underrated or not. However, I think the author does have an influence on this. I mean whether Gajeel is on Natsu and Gray's level is really a personal opinion (and I've seen decent arguments from both sides). But whether he is a strong fighter or not is pretty much indisputable since the author portrayed Gajeel that way after defeating Bloodman and standing up against Acnologia. I guess this is what I meant by the "author's viewpoint", though it was somewhat convoluted now that I think about it.

Mirajane, on the other hand, is a little different. She is underutilized like you said, but she also has no solid feats like Gajeel. That is where the "underrated" part comes in. Hiro Mashima never made an effort to give Mirajane a good fight where we can accurately scale her power. Despite beating Jacob without using a takeover (albeit he was handicapped) and quickly disposing both of Irene's subordinates, people still don't acknowledge her as a Spriggan-level fighter. Now I think that is going a little too far. She is an S-Class mage and was very strong prior to the timeskip. There is no reason for her to all of a sudden become one of the weakest members which I frequently see in rankings amongst the community.

Anyways, this is a very tricky subject since "underrated" is pretty subjective. To be honest, you had me a little cornered. I was wrong to say how Gajeel doesn't seem like an underrated character. But in my eyes, Mirajane is still far more underrated.

Maybe not so much in appearance though, as she is quite popular.

sardinestunasalmon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm kinda conflicted. At first, Mirajane was easily my pick. I even nominated her. But I think lack of screentime is different from being underrated now that I've think about it.

Everyone can agree that Mira is strong. No doubt about that. What she just lack is feats which makes people somehow doubt if she was really up there with Erza/Kagura/Minerva especially during GMG. Her being "underrated" comes from just simply lack of feats.

Now for Lucy. She may not be a powerhouse. But her growth over the course of the series is something no one can deny. While she may had more screentime than Mira, which means more feats, people still tend to underrate her.

Of course, if we compare her to the likes of Erza or Mira, of course she would look "weak". But I think people should try to look at the characters individually rather than comparing her.

If we compare day 1 Mira to day 1 Lucy, then Lucy would definitely have grown more. Mira was already strong to begin with and tbh, (due to the lack of screentime) it didn't seems she grew much compared to Lucy who started from just being able to summon 1 sprit to opening 3 at ones fighting Tartaros demons. She even summoned CSK.

But with all her growths and achievements, people still tend to look down on her because she is always being compared to powerhouses.

Of course, there are people who over rate her, but between her and Mira, I think Lucy is really the one who's more underrated.

So as much as I want to vote Mira, I think I'd give this to Lucy as I think she actually deserves to be more recognized. Yes, she may be a "fanservice" device, but try to look past on that, and you'll see a well developed character both personality and powerwise. And I don't really like Lucy at all, but you gotta give credit when it's due.

I think "underrated" is not really the term for Mira, but "underused". Just like many more badass characters that were not maximized to the fullest.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Hmm... I see what you mean.

I agree that the audience determines whether a character is underrated or not. However, I think the author does have an influence on this. I mean whether Gajeel is on Natsu and Gray's level is really a personal opinion (and I've seen decent arguments from both sides). But whether he is a strong fighter or not is pretty much indisputable since the author portrayed Gajeel that way after defeating Bloodman and standing up against Acnologia. I guess this is what I meant by the "author's viewpoint", though it was somewhat convoluted now that I think about it.

Mirajane, on the other hand, is a little different. She is underutilized like you said, but she also has no solid feats like Gajeel. That is where the "underrated" part comes in. Hiro Mashima never made an effort to give Mirajane a good fight where we can accurately scale her power. Despite beating Jacob without using a takeover (albeit he was handicapped) and quickly disposing both of Irene's subordinates, people still don't acknowledge her as a Spriggan-level fighter. Now I think that is going a little too far. She is an S-Class mage and was very strong prior to the timeskip. There is no reason for her to all of a sudden become one of the weakest members which I frequently see in rankings amongst the community.

Anyways, this is a very tricky subject since "underrated" is pretty subjective. To be honest, you had me a little cornered. I was wrong to say how Gajeel doesn't seem like an underrated character. But in my eyes, Mirajane is still far more underrated.

Maybe not so much in appearance though, as she is quite popular.
Alright, i understand you better now =)

Well, i stated earlier that Mirajane isn't underrated in my eyes, but i'll be honest, i used to think of her as underrated, and your post reminds me of it. I understand completely why one would vote Mirajane here.
My main problem is the fact that i often saw people giving Mirajane way more credit and feats than what she deserved/showed. Macro is getting back to the table in order to pretend Mira can solo anyone with ease, or Alegria form is stated to be the most powerful thing ever because it dried water.
I agree that Mirajane is sometimes put fairly low in rankings. Like, despite her lack of feats she shouldn't be below Wendy for instance. But more often than not she's still placed alongside Erza (albeit just below usually), despite having an astronomical difference in feats. And also, you can sometimes see Mirajane fairly high on the list, above Erza, above Natsu (because Macro you know).

But yeah anyway, as i was saying i understand you.

Luca Blight

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
None of these characters are underrated :notrust Lucy does get a sizeable amount of hate though so I guess she's the least wrong choice.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Hm a though one. Im a bit torn between Lyon and Jacob. Lyon is strong but the Alvarez arc kinda downplayed him, plus he couldnt beat a historia Ur alone. I think ill go with Jacob. People consider him one of the weaker spriggans, although his magic is broken and hax, plus he has durability. He took a demolition fist in FDKM, and the only thing he got from that was a broken nose and burnt clothes (well he was knocked out too, but still, you would think he would disintegrate from the fire). Also that Mirajane fight was bs. Fighting with closed eyes, while he didnt even use one of his hax powers.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Either Jacob or Lyon for me too. I think Jacob gets a lot of flack because of the virgin eyes... but that is a part of his character. So it's quite hard to say he deserves to be rated much with that in mind. I find him to have a good sense of humour though.

Lyon is probably a victim of neglect from Hiro. But, there's nothing I can do about that. He doesn't get hated on from what I can tell. Most people like him, or are neutral to him. Probably similar to Gajeel last round (?)...

I'll vote for Jacob, for now.

Kagura's last words in the manga are exactly my position on her being here...

Anti Hero 3:16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great choices. Honestly I would get some hate but lyon is probably the best ice mage in FT and should have gotten more focus. But jacob statham gets little bit to much hte for virgin eyes but his magic was cool and downright one of the 3 best hax magic with command T and time seal. Plus it took lucy's intelligence + natsu's top attack to him down( sure fight was underwhelming).

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going with Jacob. Due to his character of the gag weakness of not wanting to look at women half or fully naked, many just want to hate and consider him weak despite his hax, the sheer strength of his martial arts, along with fighting Mirajane with his eyes closed, and his durability.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I kind of forget to vote in my explanation I am going with jacob here.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Meh, Jacob is a joke character and got trashed for sure, but his hax is deadly as fuck. Im giving my vote to him.
Plus i dont have the impression that Kagura and Lyon are underrated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh, Jacob is a joke character and got trashed for sure, but his hax is deadly as fuck. Im giving my vote to him.
Plus i dont have the impression that Kagura and Lyon are underrated.
Honestly speaking dude lyon is kind of underrated simply coz he is in same boat as gray in terms of his past, a boy whose family was killed by deliora and then raised by ur and then from becoming a self righteous villain in galuna arc to herishing his guild and others later on. He deifinitely is my favourite ice mage in whole series.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Honestly speaking dude lyon is kind of underrated simply coz he is in same boat as gray in terms of his past, a boy whose family was killed by deliora and then raised by ur and then from becoming a self righteous villain in galuna arc to herishing his guild and others later on. He deifinitely is my favourite ice mage in whole series.
I can see why you'd like the character, he's great indeed. But i interprated "underrated" as a power level thing mainly, and i never had the impression that Lyon was being underrated powerwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.