Discussion - New Quirks | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion New Quirks

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
A transformation for deku would be interesting. Maybe something that helps his classmates make sense of how deku can apparently just do whatever with his quirk. That'd be too convenient though.

Pr0teu5

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not to mention we still dont know what two of the predecessors look like. One of them could be hidden because their mutant type quirk would be a big give away. It would be very shonen like for Deku to have a transformation.
True, the shadowed users could definitely be mutants. The only question I would have is how would this work with OFA? When Deku unlocked their quirk would he be permanently transformed like any other mutant quirk? If so the mutation would probably have to be pretty subtle like Miruko’s or Tsuyu’s, otherwise it might be a bit much.

Additionally, OFA powers up quirks. What would a powered up mutant quirk be like? If it’s anything like Mutants taking trigger in Vigilantes it could get crazy.

Edit:

Also, what if All Might had a mutation quirk? I know it’s crazy and not likely to happen, but it actually kind of makes sense.

Imagine if his mutation quirk was incredibly subtle, so subtle in fact that no one even thought of it as a quirk, but it increased his bone density, his muscle mass, his height, reflexes, stamina etc.

He got OFA relatively young, when he was still growing, and could use it from the beginning without any training. Maybe, because OFA powers up your quirk, it caused All Might’s mutation quirk to make him grow two a muscled up 7’2” monster. No one would’ve really paid much attention because he was still growing anyway. Also, the enhanced physicality would explain why he could use OFA power so easily. It really would be the perfect combination.

Sorry, Shen if I got a little off topic.

Last edited:

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
True, the shadowed users could definitely be mutants. The only question I would have is how would this work with OFA? When Deku unlocked their quirk would he be permanently transformed like any other mutant quirk? If so the mutation would probably have to be pretty subtle like Miruko’s or Tsuyu’s, otherwise it might be a bit much.

Additionally, OFA powers up quirks. What would a powered up mutant quirk be like? If it’s anything like Mutants taking trigger in Vigilantes it could get crazy.
My theory is that the predecessor with the black hair who is covering his mouth has a mouth related mutation quirk. Imagine a monster like mouth similar to Venom.

An upgraded version of this could look even more sinister with more + bigger + sharper teeth, a longer tongue and acidic saliva.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
My theory is that the predecessor with the black hair who is covering his mouth has a mouth related mutation quirk. Imagine a monster like mouth similar to Venom.

An upgraded version of this could look even more sinister with more + bigger + sharper teeth, a longer tongue and acidic saliva.
The mouth idea could actually be pretty cool, but I don’t know if Horikoshi would give his main character a monstrous looking mouth if he’s supposed to inspire confidence in people while rescuing them.

I’m joking now, but if number 6 did have a mouth mutation I can almost imagine Horikoshi giving him a permanent big AM style smile. If Nana Shimura is right, it’ll make Deku much stronger. Hahaha

Noble

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Apparently (not sure) when All for One acquires a mutation quirk, he turns it into a transformation quirk, meaning he can make it appear in his body whenever he wants. I think the same would apply to One for All if there are mutant predecessors.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apparently (not sure) when All for One acquires a mutation quirk, he turns it into a transformation quirk, meaning he can make it appear in his body whenever he wants. I think the same would apply to One for All if there are mutant predecessors.
Definitely possible, but I’m not sure this has been confirmed.

It’s probably been noticed by everyone here, but mutation quirks are one of the most bizarre things in BNHA.

Let’s take Tokoyami, Hawks, and Miruko as examples. Tokoyami obviously has a mutated birdlike head, but his quirk is emitter and has nothing to do with his appearance. So if he was a successor would Deku have gotten Dark Shadow and retain a normal appearance?

Hawks, quirk is Mutant, but importantly his quirk is related to his appearance. If he didn’t have his wings he couldn’t control his feathers. So if he was a predecessor Deku would have to inherit both the appearance and the quirk.

However, take someone like Miruko, or even Tsuyu and Gang Orca as examples. These guys all have mutant quirks that change their appearance to greater or lesser extents. Even though their quirks are related to their appearance, there’s no reason that one would have to have both. Miruko, for example could have the same strength, agility, and leg power as a quirk without having rabbit ears or a tail. So if she passed her quirk on, would the recipient get the benefits and the appearance?

Horikoshi, may write himself into corners if he tries to figure out what to do with inherited mutant quirks.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Definitely possible, but I’m not sure this has been confirmed.

It’s probably been noticed by everyone here, but mutation quirks are one of the most bizarre things in BNHA.

Let’s take Tokoyami, Hawks, and Miruko as examples. Tokoyami obviously has a mutated birdlike head, but his quirk is emitter and has nothing to do with his appearance. So if he was a successor would Deku have gotten Dark Shadow and retain a normal appearance?

Hawks, quirk is Mutant, but importantly his quirk is related to his appearance. If he didn’t have his wings he couldn’t control his feathers. So if he was a predecessor Deku would have to inherit both the appearance and the quirk.

However, take someone like Miruko, or even Tsuyu and Gang Orca as examples. These guys all have mutant quirks that change their appearance to greater or lesser extents. Even though their quirks are related to their appearance, there’s no reason that one would have to have both. Miruko, for example could have the same strength, agility, and leg power as a quirk without having rabbit ears or a tail. So if she passed her quirk on, would the recipient get the benefits and the appearance?

Horikoshi, may write himself into corners if he tries to figure out what to do with inherited mutant quirks.
I get the feeling Horikoshi's already figured that one out, so all of the predecessors most likely have emitter and transformation Quirks.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's true, AFO can activate/deactivate mutation type quirks. That's what he did in the past with the 2 people who asked him for help. He took away a mutation type quirk and gave another mutation type quirk away.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Speaking of mutation quirks for the predecessors. I the the shadowed predecessor that resembles Bakugo may have one.

I’m talking about the shadowed guy in the far back.

The arms that resemble the grenadier bracers may actually be a mutation quirk.

I could imagine his arms being covered in large strong metal plates that the user can reshape and manipulate with his mind.

Think of something like Hawk’s fierce wings with more or less the same usage, but with less recon ability, and much greater defense.

Edit:

Funnily enough, what I imagined turned out to be more or less identical to Crust’s quirk.

I think a defensive quirk like this would be great for Deku, as I think that even if the quirks that his predecessors have are not great they’ll at least be balanced.

Also, Hori seems to be doing a tortoise and the hare type thing with Mirko and Crust. Deku’s shoot style is very similar to Mirko’s style, so it would be cool for him to get a quirk very similar to Crust’s and train / get advice from both of them.

Last edited:

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good find, I really like the theory that this guy puts together. I can really see the previous users having from the panel shown.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I could buy the mentioned heroes being the inspiration for deku's future quirks though I don't think the super strength that is common to all of them is relevant. most quirks don't have super strength AND something else... I suppose there could be a previous OFA user that had super strength and basically jump started the stockpiling though.

Anyways, the main issue with the idea presented in those posts is that most of those heroes have some serious overlap in their abilities. super strength, super speed, stamina...

Anyways, black whip and spiderman makes a ton of sense.

Wolverine being there would definitely point towards regeneration or perhaps even super regeneration... super useful power that would allow deku to reach 100% faster. Perhaps even train faster... The only issue there is that that doesn't actually look like wolverine. It has the hair thing but it seems just different enough to not be the actual inspiration.

Superman has way too many powers but it makes sense to give deku flight.

Ultraman.... Has a ton of powers as well. Never really seen him but going by the list online there are a few interesting possibilities. Absorbing energy and psychokinesis particularly stand out. Perhaps something that could absorb decay? It also sounds like something that could be useful to stockpile power in OFA's early days.

Devilman... Way too much stuff going for him. I get the feeling some of his abilities inspired some of deku's classmates abililites (energy beams, tail whip, giant form, telepathy...). As for something for deku... What fits the most is enhanced senses. Taken to super levels with OFA stockpiling it would be exceptionally useful for deku, perhaps even help him overcome some of the experience gap. The other stuff is either already covered by basic stockpiling or other heroes.... I don't see deku becoming a giant at least. I suppose some manner of energy beam would also work for deku.

Spiderman... clearly covered.

kamen rider seems like way too generic stuff in general. Maybe infra red vision?

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I could buy the mentioned heroes being the inspiration for deku's future quirks though I don't think the super strength that is common to all of them is relevant. most quirks don't have super strength AND something else... I suppose there could be a previous OFA user that had super strength and basically jump started the stockpiling though.

Ultraman.... Has a ton of powers as well. Never really seen him but going by the list online there are a few interesting possibilities. Absorbing energy and psychokinesis particularly stand out. Perhaps something that could absorb decay? It also sounds like something that could be useful to stockpile power in OFA's early days.

Devilman... Way too much stuff going for him. I get the feeling some of his abilities inspired some of deku's classmates abililites (energy beams, tail whip, giant form, telepathy...). As for something for deku... What fits the most is enhanced senses. Taken to super levels with OFA stockpiling it would be exceptionally useful for deku, perhaps even help him overcome some of the experience gap. The other stuff is either already covered by basic stockpiling or other heroes.... I don't see deku becoming a giant at least. I suppose some manner of energy beam would also work for deku.

Spiderman... clearly covered.

kamen rider seems like way too generic stuff in general. Maybe infra red vision?
Bolded: This is what I always had in mind. Even with 8 different people holding onto the Quirk, there's no way the collective strength of 8 would be strong enough to change the weather/atmosphere in a single punch. When this is revealed, I think that the predecessor will have useful tips to help Deku better regulate his output. Unless he has some sort of amplification Quirk like AFO had in his stock, which helped kick up the stockpile early on.

I could see Deku getting something like Reverse Impact, with a slight variation and drawback in place. It'd be useful (might even be the most practical too).

Enhanced senses would also be a pretty logical choice. Given that Hori does well in limiting his characters' abilities, the drawback for this Quirk is obvious.

Infra red vision will depend on the enhanced senses Quirk, otherwise it would overlap too much.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Bolded: This is what I always had in mind. Even with 8 different people holding onto the Quirk, there's no way the collective strength of 8 would be strong enough to change the weather/atmosphere in a single punch. When this is revealed, I think that the predecessor will have useful tips to help Deku better regulate his output. Unless he has some sort of amplification Quirk like AFO had in his stock, which helped kick up the stockpile early on.

I could see Deku getting something like Reverse Impact, with a slight variation and drawback in place. It'd be useful (might even be the most practical too).

Enhanced senses would also be a pretty logical choice. Given that Hori does well in limiting his characters' abilities, the drawback for this Quirk is obvious.

Infra red vision will depend on the enhanced senses Quirk, otherwise it would overlap too much.
It depends. I had thought about that for a while but the series has also proven time and time that even without a quirk you can be what we'd regard as a mega athlete. Stain, erasehead, endeavor... have all shown extraordinary physical capacity. As in, stain exceeded the physical capacity of 5% deku. Not sure of what humanity's limit is in this regard though. I doubt people can reach 20% of OFA on their own since that's the point at which deku is already capable of air blasts and that's not something we see people just do. We also don't know how exactly OFA stockpiles power... It's doesn't appear to be something like the power is added just when people receive the quirk. Rather it looks like users stockpile it through their time as OFA users....In which case even if a human can at best achieve 10% without a quirk, he'd be putting in a little bit of power all through his tenure. Of course, if there was a super strength user then it'd still help a lot. A point against a super strength quirk though is how redundant it would be. And deku would eventually actually get that quirk... what would that even look like? Deku with the stockpiled strength using a super powered super strength quirk....

Yeah, I also thought that infra red eyes would overlap... but couldn't see any other ability in there that would even begin to make sense. To me it kinda looks like horikoshi is aiming for deku to be mostly a superman like character. Or perhaps not quite that but rather have abilities from very popular heroes. So you already have the basic super strength, black whips, float.... so deku is missing laser eyes, a variety of breath attacks, and jedi senses?

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I agree about super strength overlapping with what we're already seeing. It doesn't seem like something a predecessor would teach him since Deku is already working on it and has improved so much in the span of 3 months. Same goes for a passive amplification Quirk. Those two predecessors don't quite make sense in terms of what they can offer to him in advice. Unless there's a bit more nuance to their Quirks, like the super strength user giving him tips on regulating his output?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I agree about super strength overlapping with what we're already seeing. It doesn't seem like something a predecessor would teach him since Deku is already working on it and has improved so much in the span of 3 months. Same goes for a passive amplification Quirk. Those two predecessors don't quite make sense in terms of what they can offer to him in advice. Unless there's a bit more nuance to their Quirks, like the super strength user giving him tips on regulating his output?
If there is a super strength quirk there I would think it'd be distinct from the super strength OFA normally gives. MIdoriya would have all the super strength OFA gives AND on top of that the super strength quirk which would in turn be super powered by the stockpiled power within OFA. Not sure of how it would help midoriya's output control in that regard. it's not like midoriya has output control issues. He can control his output pretty competently by now, his main issue is simply not being strong enough to output more.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t think that the original author’s point was that the previous users quirks was super strength + something else. Just that all of the previous users had the OFA stockpiling power that acted as super strength in addition to their original quirk.

So all they had was stockpile + basic quirk. Not stockpile + quirk with super strength.

The fact that they had super strength through stockpile is what relates them to their proposed counterparts

Bolded: This is what I always had in mind. Even with 8 different people holding onto the Quirk, there's no way the collective strength of 8 would be strong enough to change the weather/atmosphere in a single punch. When this is revealed, I think that the predecessor will have useful tips to help Deku better regulate his output.
Actually, I don’t think it’s so big a stretch that OFA can do that after just 8 users.

I always imagined that OFA was stockpiling or storing metabolic energy rather than just adding the strength of the previous users.

What I mean by that is, imagine that your body is constantly producing 100% of it’s metabolic output, but your only using 20% of it on average at any given time.

What OFA probably does is take the remaining 80% that you’re not using and store it to be used later.

So rather than just the strength of 8 people, OFA give you the leftover metabolic energy of 8 people stored for over 100 years.

A good analogy would be a car and gasoline. Gasoline is crazy energy dense and a gas car can have over 1500hp.

However, a car is basically only 20% efficient. Imagine that the other 80% of the gasoline’s energy was stored somewhere.

After 100 or so years the amount of energy stored by that stockpiled gasoline would be absolutely tremendous.

If this is true, the amount of energy that can be released at one time by the stockpiled power would have to have some other constraint.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I don’t think that the original author’s point was that the previous users quirks was super strength + something else. Just that all of the previous users had the OFA stockpiling power that acted as super strength in addition to their original quirk.

So all they had was stockpile + basic quirk. Not stockpile + quirk with super strength.

The fact that they had super strength through stockpile is what relates them to their proposed counterparts

Actually, I don’t think it’s so big a stretch that OFA can do that after just 8 users.

I always imagined that OFA was stockpiling or storing metabolic energy rather than just adding the strength of the previous users.

What I mean by that is, imagine that your body is constantly producing 100% of it’s metabolic output, but your only using 20% of it on average at any given time.

What OFA probably does is take the remaining 80% that you’re not using and store it to be used later.

So rather than just the strength of 8 people, OFA give you the leftover metabolic energy of 8 people stored for over 100 years.

A good analogy would be a car and gasoline. Gasoline is crazy energy dense and a gas car can have over 1500hp.

However, a car is basically only 20% efficient. Imagine that the other 80% of the gasoline’s energy was stored somewhere.

After 100 or so years the amount of energy stored by that stockpiled gasoline would be absolutely tremendous.

If this is true, the amount of energy that can be released at one time by the stockpiled power would have to have some other constraint.
Although this myth has been previously debunked by scientists, it does come up often in fiction, so I suppose I can accept it as the explanation for OFA’s stockpiling.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Nah, this is what I was replying to:
As in, the actual possibility that a previous OFA user had a super strength quirk. In which case the user would have had the super strength granted by the stockpiled power and on top of that a super strength quirk boosted by stockpiled power.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although this myth has been previously debunked by scientists, it does come up often in fiction, so I suppose I can accept it as the explanation for OFA’s stockpiling.
Yeah, of course scientifically speaking all of this is utter nonsense. It’s just the way that I’ve understood what Hori means when he says stockpiling power.

Nah, this is what I was replying to:

As in, the actual possibility that a previous OFA user had a super strength quirk. In which case the user would have had the super strength granted by the stockpiled power and on top of that a super strength quirk boosted by stockpiled power.
Cool, I was just trying to point out that I don’t think that the original tweeter was trying to to imply that any of the previous users had super strength I depended of OFA stockpiling power in his original argument.