Discussion - One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
SBS - from the Japanese Shitsumon o Boshū Suru, which roughly translates to "I'm collecting questions" is a part of every One Piece volume since its fourth instalment.
The SBS is usually found after each chapter in the volumes. There Oda-sensei answers questions of fans in his typically humorous way, sometimes giving more or less valuable information. This includes age, height, nationality and many more such data. In a special segment called "Usopp Gallery Pirates" it is also used as a showcase for fanart sent to him, respectively his publisher.

So much for the information on what SBS is. Please use this thread to post and discuss SBS from now on~

Last edited by a moderator:

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
SBS is a very interesting insertion to the manga. There are numerous things that had been "asked" by fans and one of them was the birthdays of various characters like the Straw Hat crews in which many are curious to know. In fact even us, international fans, can also participate in the SBS (Question-and-Answer") by writing in to Oda's publisher. The only requirement is that it has to be written in Japanese. :)

Deleted member 182576

SBS is a very interesting insertion to the manga. There are numerous things that had been "asked" by fans and one of them was the birthdays of various characters like the Straw Hat crews in which many are curious to know. In fact even us, international fans, can also participate in the SBS (Question-and-Answer") by writing in to Oda's publisher. The only requirement is that it has to be written in Japanese. :)
and where can I find those SBS to read?

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
That's right. Many volumes have already been translated and they are posted in the One Piece Wikia. All thanks to the translators who have done a great job.

Let us take one volume for discussion.

In Volume 4 for example, we have these "questions and answers":-

D: What are the ages of Luffy, Zoro, Nami, and Shanks?

O: At present

Luffy is 17
Zoro is 19
Nami is 18
Usopp is 17
Shanks - I'll tell you his age from 10 years ago. He was 27 at the time he was hanging out in Luffy's village.

___

D: Doesn't Zoro's name come from the famous pirate, "François l'Olonnais"?

O: I took the name from Francois l'Ollonais, said to be the cruelest of all the "Pirates of the Caribbean". That, along with Morgan and Alvida, are names derived from actual pirates.

D: This is about Captain "Buggy the Clown"! Is that Captain Buggy's real hair that sticks out of both sides of his hat? Or is it a decoration (like a wig)?

O: Yes. This question has been asked several times. I believe this will answer your curiosity.

_________

D: Why does Luffy have so little "tension"?

O: It must be because he's so stupid.

D: How did Mohji's hair get like that?

O: He was born like that. Only those 2 spots grow out quickly. If he left his hair alone, he'd end up looking like a rabbit.

All these answers from Oda give additional information or details that have not or have yet been revealed in the manga. Some answers make me laugh. Oda-sensei does have a sense of Humour. :^_^

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yep the SBS is an excellent source of information about characters. For example the last SBS featured in volume 75 gave the ages of DD's crew, as well as a drawing of a grown up Sugar.
Sadly it's still not translated on the wikia, but I found a French site that gave a rough translation, and apparently Sugar looks like a 10 year old, but in reality she's 22. She's not that old.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Didn't know that the last volume has already been translated into French. haha! :teehee

It was kinda funny- someone wanted to be the pirate king and Oda's response was there was something wrong with his life. :teehee

The ages of DD family was quite good. I didn't think that Sugar was actually a child though she had a child's body. But she wasn't that old either. Twenty-two years old is young and the adult look is very attractive. She looks cute. :^_^

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I have a very vague memory that in one of the SBS Oda said that the average life of one piece humans lasts aroun 120 years.
Does anyone remember seeing that or maybe even know in which SBS it was?

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
It's references here in the SBS:

D: Oda-sensei. On the cover of volume 54, you say that people can basically live to be 140, but is Kureha alright? Pen Name: O-baka-san

O: Ah, right. Now that you mention it, she's 139, isn't she? Well, if we say that the limit for a normal person is 140 years, she's still superhuman, in the sense that she goes beyond other people. So she'll be fine. Also, old people who will die in a year do not walk around in the snow with bare midriffs.

DragonSoul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
SBS also famous for it dick jokes:-_-

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I mean it's not really dick jokes, it's mostly a silly recurring gag where every time a new interesting devil fruit shows up, they ask Oda about the penis. First it was if Luffy's penis stretches, too, and since then it's just been used for characters like Jozu, does he have a diamond penis, etc. just stupid stuff like that.

It's not like it's a bunch of dick jokes, again, just a single recurring gag.

BetaRuler

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoyed the elaboration on the detail in certain panels you'd otherwise have missed out on. Like the time Sanji threatened to put razor blades in Zoro's food, and then Zoro's next dinner is very crunchy! XD
It is good that he keeps putting in stupid jokey questions over serious ones, keep the comedy rolling as much as possible!

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of SBS, Greg who now has his OP column translated in english did a great coverage of volume 75. You can read the whole thing here but I want to highlight and found pretty interesting from the article is this:

"Dofy"

Back when reading Chapter 682 in Weekly Jump, my eyes stopped on the panel where Vergo called Doflamingo by the nickname, "Dofy." Just a nickname, no 'san' or anything added to the end. Under most circumstances you can only do that when you've gotten to know someone extremely well over many years and, oh yeah, only if you're older or at least the same age as them.
In some instances this rule is ignored among the Straw Hate Pirates because of how tightly-knit they are. So most of the time, dropping 'san' or some other honorific title is, well, it's kind of a big deal.

So far we've seen four characters that can call him 'Dofy': Trebol, Pica, Diamante and Vergo. Their common threads? First, all of them are about the same age as Doflamingo or slightly older. Vergo and Doflamingo are the same age so they might even have been prep school chums (joke). Second, all of them are supreme officers in the Family. This seems to explain why other members older than Doflamingo don't actually call him 'Dofy'.
source and credit: Greg@one-piece.com

jamarTheDem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oda said on the SBS: Luffy (Haoshoku Haki), Zoro (Busoshoku Haki), Sanji (Kenbunshoku Haki) but when exactly will Zoro show his true mastery in Bososhoku ? Also I want to see Sanji Dodging bullets and hits with Kenbunshoku active not just hearing ladies cry from miles way .

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oda said on the SBS: Luffy (Haoshoku Haki), Zoro (Busoshoku Haki), Sanji (Kenbunshoku Haki) but when exactly will Zoro show his true mastery in Bososhoku ? Also I want to see Sanji Dodging bullets and hits with Kenbunshoku active not just hearing ladies cry from miles way .
I don't think that's a question Oda will answer in SBS, as that would be giving away future story information, we can just venture guesses at this stage. The same goes for Sanji dodging bullets. The latter I think is something we'll see eventually, dodging bullets is a regular superhuman feat, I'm sure we've seen the trio dodge them before(:hmm).
As for Zoro mastering Busoshoku....I'm unsure what level we'll see him at come the end of the series and if said level is "mastery" but I can imagine him being pretty darn good at it. Him being a swordsman means his use of Buso is different to hand-to-hand combatants( Luffy, Vergo, DD, Jesus) have shown, so I don't think we should be waiting to see him coating his armoring body in attacking an enemy. But who knows, he may be apt in doing so for defensive purposes, but Zoro loves to lose blood....

Tournesol

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hm, the SBS...

I've only known that SBS exists since last year, though I've been reading the manga for ages.
One of the first ones I read also had some of these penis jokes, so I was like: Oo"
Most of the time, I find these kinda lame, but there was one that really got me.
Meh, it's not on the wiki.
Iirc, someone asked why Caesar wanted Law's heart, when he could have taken his most important body part instead and Oda said: "Sure, but that wouldn't have looked as cool!"
At first, when I read that, my reaction was: O____O;
I stayed like that for a few seconds, then I started laughing my ass off and couldn't even stop anymore!!
Oda's humor is hit or miss, but if it hits, it hits hard.

Although there's some really stupid questions and answers in there that just make me facepalm, altogether I like the SBS.
It's a pity that the translations are often late, incomplete and all over the internet.
Though I try to read the SBS every time I buy a volume, I can't understand much in Japanese. D:

jamarTheDem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think that's a question Oda will answer in SBS, as that would be giving away future story information, we can just venture guesses at this stage. The same goes for Sanji dodging bullets. The latter I think is something we'll see eventually, dodging bullets is a regular superhuman feat, I'm sure we've seen the trio dodge them before(:hmm).
As for Zoro mastering Busoshoku....I'm unsure what level we'll see him at come the end of the series and if said level is "mastery" but I can imagine him being pretty darn good at it. Him being a swordsman means his use of Buso is different to hand-to-hand combatants( Luffy, Vergo, DD, Jesus) have shown, so I don't think we should be waiting to see him coating his armoring body in attacking an enemy. But who knows, he may be apt in doing so for defensive purposes, but Zoro loves to lose blood....
Yeah I know it won't , I was asking you guys what y'all thought about it . Rmemener when Luffy was dodging those Marines at superspeed without moving much using Kenbunshoku , I was hoping seeing Sanji using that in actual combat . It's about time Haki become more combined in the Straw Hat fighting not just Luffy . Also Zoro needs to atlease turn his arm Black or his entire Blacked out . Kinda like Vergo but with a different look . I really wanna see the big Ideal Oda wanted to show by giving some of the Crewthe ability and some not .

StJimmy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Yeah I know it won't , I was asking you guys what y'all thought about it . Rmemener when Luffy was dodging those Marines at superspeed without moving much using Kenbunshoku , I was hoping seeing Sanji using that in actual combat . It's about time Haki become more combined in the Straw Hat fighting not just Luffy . Also Zoro needs to atlease turn his arm Black or his entire Blacked out . Kinda like Vergo but with a different look . I really wanna see the big Ideal Oda wanted to show by giving some of the Crewthe ability and some not .
I think Zoro won't need it as much to defend himself but rather for attacks. I guess he's being prepared to fight all the logia guys so he needs that (although defending against them would also use haki)

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
his entire Blacked out . Kinda like Vergo but with a different look .
The way Doflamingo talked about Vergo it seemed like his use of Haki was special. So I don't think we will see many people using Haki on their entire body, if any.