Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's a lot of truncating. I honestly think Season 1 ends with them going to the Grand Line, or my idea of ending it at the end of Sanji arc (which allows you to do Luffy/Zoro, Nami and Buggy, Usopp, and then Sanji, ending with Luffy and Sanji sailing to Arlong park).
Then the series will take on forever and will be cancelled after maybe 2-3 seasons. current series work best with story that are concluded in the episode. Mandalorian and witcher are the best examples, you have some parts that build up on something, but you can still watch stand alone episodes. That comes also from changing directors in the business, since its normal right now to not have one director for all episodes. You let one direct the storypart of arlong park and one, who is famous for good fightscenes... the fightepisode. Splitting storyparts isnt normal right now and the success of the already mentioned mandalorian + witcher speaks volumes. Both have standalone episodes with buildup + "everything comes together" in the final episode.

i wouldnt even be surprised if they skip Laboon because of the cgibudget. Brookes backstory works even without the Strawhats having met Laboon already.

Deleted member 169696

That's a silly comment. Maybe focusing on quality leads to casting a black Sanji? Who even said anything about this?

I couldn't imagine a black Nick Fury until Sam Jackson took the role. Just cast great actors. I'd rather that than focus on "look". That's how you end up with Finn Jones as Iron Fist even though he can't act or fight!
Silly comment my butt. Apparently you're not aware that oftentimes they'd hire actors ONLY to make the cast diverse. Otherwise, they fear, they might face backlash for not hiring Black/Asian/Latino actors.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's a silly comment. Maybe focusing on quality leads to casting a black Sanji? Who even said anything about this?

I couldn't imagine a black Nick Fury until Sam Jackson took the role. Just cast great actors. I'd rather that than focus on "look". That's how you end up with Finn Jones as Iron Fist even though he can't act or fight!
If you do an adaptation, looks are kind of pre-set.

Marvel is a very bad example since it has dozens of different continiuities from different writers. It is innately open to alterations while One Piece isn't and the symbolism behind Oda's choices actually plays a huge role in selling the story.

But I also don't get the issues here at all. One Piece is innately diverse and Oda's setup for the Strawhats fullfils any needs.

thedude

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Then the series will take on forever and will be cancelled after maybe 2-3 seasons. current series work best with story that are concluded in the episode. Mandalorian and witcher are the best examples, you have some parts that build up on something, but you can still watch stand alone episodes. That comes also from changing directors in the business, since its normal right now to not have one director for all episodes. You let one direct the storypart of arlong park and one, who is famous for good fightscenes... the fightepisode. Splitting storyparts isnt normal right now and the success of the already mentioned mandalorian + witcher speaks volumes. Both have standalone episodes with buildup + "everything comes together" in the final episode.

i wouldnt even be surprised if they skip Laboon because of the cgibudget. Brookes backstory works even without the Strawhats having met Laboon already.
Alternately, you have Game of Thrones that does long stories that last an entire season. I'm only saying "in the perfect world where this show works, this is how I'd do it". There is plenty of material, even in 10 episodes you'd never run into the Marvel Netlflix show problem of having to stretch stories beyond where they should be.

McNuss said:
If you do an adaptation, looks are kind of pre-set.
Marvel is only a bad example because it immediately undercuts your comment. I'm not saying "hire a black guy for Sanji". I'm saying "it doesn't matter if you do if it's the right actor". I wasn't demanding diversity, only saying the comment immediately jumping in here to bemoan diversity in hiring and act like it's the worst thing in the world was dumb.

Pea said:
Silly comment my butt. Apparently you're not aware that oftentimes they'd hire actors ONLY to make the cast diverse. Otherwise, they fear, they might face backlash for not hiring Black/Asian/Latino actors.
More often than that they just hire white actors for every character and call it a day! Worrying about them obsessing over diversity, without any reason, seems to be a strange thing to be prematurely freaked out about. It says a lot about you.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The thing is, the original East Blue Strawhats already fullfil that criteria.

But I also don't think there is usually an issue with that as most shows are set in modern America anyways. The only times where I take issue with it is historical fiction where things just become nonsensical.

But fantasy like One Piece there shouldn't be any issues with it.

There are some characters where ethnicity is part of the design or supports it.

For example Shanks has to be red haired and as such can only be white.

His crewmember, Yasopp, later wears dreadlocks, which are associated with rastafarianism and as such panafricanism. Here it makes sense that the character would be black.

On the other hand ethnicity would hardly matter for someone like Lucky Roo.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Season 1 should cover East Blue Saga and end before they enter the GrandLine.

or

1 Episode for Alvida/Morgan Arc
2 Episodes for Buggy's Arc
2 Episodes for Kuro's Arc
2 Episodes for Kreig's Arc
2 Episodes for Arlong's Arc
and 1 Episode for Loguetown.
This I can see working for season 1. I'd probably take 1 away from Buggy and put it to Kreig or Arlong though. I think both need a bit more time because of the flashbacks. But this could work.

Deleted member 169696

More often than that they just hire white actors for every character and call it a day! Worrying about them obsessing over diversity, without any reason, seems to be a strange thing to be prematurely freaked out about. It says a lot about you.
Without any reason? I wasn't even the one who brought this up. Learn to read.

No one's even freaked out and it says absolutely nothing about me.

You're fkn annoying.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Alternately, you have Game of Thrones that does long stories that last an entire season. I'm only saying "in the perfect world where this show works, this is how I'd do it". There is plenty of material, even in 10 episodes you'd never run into the Marvel Netlflix show problem of having to stretch stories beyond where they should be.
Yes but there we had a book, where all the lines and hints were planned, with reoccuring characters in the entire season. In the mangaverse you tell story per "arc". You have characters who are only there for this arc and there special purpose for this. Nojiko, Usopp girlfriend, Jeff, and so on. Since actors are sometimes payed by episodes and screentime you must cut them down so they fit their purpose and thats it. Once their done and have contributed their part, you dont use them anymore, or at max for camoes later on. Especially in the beginnning One Piece works quite good with single episodes when done right.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without any reason? I wasn't even the one who brought this up. Learn to read.

No one's even freaked out and it says absolutely nothing about me.

You're fkn annoying.
You're worrying prematurely about a black Sanji is far more annoying. Feel free to ignore me, I won't miss your inane takes.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
For example Shanks has to be red haired and as such can only be white.

With ussopp as black character i can agree, but even then... its the one coward and comic relief that the SH have for some time. Also a liar. I am curious to see how they would appreciate this.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It really isnt. Especially in the beginning of the series.
That's wrong. I don't really get this impression at all.
That's bullshit. The videogame character isn't even the canonic depiction either.

In the first Witcher game people needed to decide whether they have sex with Triss or Shani, and everyone chose Triss. That's the sole reason why the character was even expanded that greatly into the later games and why everyone freaks out about the casting choice. It all started with a silly sex card collection minigame.

It's a minor character in the books and not even a major character in the show as well.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's wrong. I don't really get this impression at all.
Aside of usopp, which characters of color you have before the grandline? How many woman with important roles(Nami, Nojiko and Alvida a piratewoman who is considered ugly until she eats a fruit thats make her skinny?) Jeah, have fun with that in the feministmarket.

And i will not go to bon clay and his impression for the LBGT-community. One Piece is filled with stereotypes and most of the cancelculture hates stereotypes. My only hope is, that the production will be left to an only japanese team, kinda like the bleachmovie, then we stand a chance that the sourcematerial will be respected, otherwise goodbye.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Aside of usopp, which characters of color you have before the grandline? How many woman with important roles(Nami, Nojiko and Alvida a piratewoman who is considered ugly until she eats a fruit thats make her skinny?) Jeah, have fun with that in the feministmarket.
There are plenty of characters that could be imagined as black, such as Lucky Roo, Higuma or Mohji or even Nojiko, as well as lots of minor ones (Heppoko and friends, Ripper).

There are even more that would make sense as Asian.

In many cases character ethnicity does not matter at all since it's not an innate part of the design.

I also think representation of females is fine in a show whose target audience is obviously male. You forgot Kaya and Tashigi. That way, the only arc without any new female element is Baratie.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
You forgot Kaya and Tashigi.
An illnessstricken damsel in distress and a "badass" who gets stomped by another male swordsman while whining that she is a woman. Jeah that will work for sure.

There are plenty of characters that could be imagined as black, such as Lucky Roo, Higuma or Mohji or even Nojiko, as well as lots of minor ones (Heppoko and friends, Ripper).
Depending on what exactly they will cut and what not, most of them probably wont even be in there. Romance dawn as itself i dont see as a full episode, or anything like this, so i wouldnt count on higuma, or lucky roo. Nojiko with her tan could work well.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
An illnessstricken damsel in distress and a "badass" who gets stomped by another male swordsman while whining that she is a woman. Jeah that will work for sure.
Actually Tashigi should please exactly that audience that you are talking about.

People would either want their expectations subverted or fullfilled. Tashigi says exactly what these people would want to hear.

Depending on what exactly they will cut and what not, most of them probably wont even be in there. Romance dawn as itself i dont see as a full episode, or anything like this, so i wouldnt count on higuma, or lucky roo. Nojiko with her tan could work well.
You can hardly cut Higuma or else Shanks will still have two arms.

I agree that they would likely cut Roo and Beckman as well, or use extras rather than proper actors for them.

Mohji is also likely a goner considering Richie blows the budget.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States

There are even more that would make sense as Asian.

In many cases character ethnicity does not matter at all since it's not an innate part of the design.

I also think representation of females is fine in a show whose target audience is obviously male. You forgot Kaya and Tashigi. That way, the only arc without any new female element is Baratie.
The female characters will be fine. They won't have Nami with giant boobs wearing bikinis every arc, so Nami and Robin are great strong female characters.

I even think Bon Clay can work nearly as is. "Ru Paul's Drag Race" is really popular. Hire someone great, he's a fantastic character who has depth and growth, and the Straw Hats all love him, no fear of him being a cross dresser.

And I doubt black people would have an issue with Usopp being black. His character has maybe the most awesome moments that give you goosebumps. Like when he got back up against the fishmen and wins despite being a regular human. Or burns down the flag. Or stands up for Luffy while having his skull cracked in Alabasta. He's such a great character.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What a p****.
lol, i'm a pussy because you are freaking out prematurely about the race of characters, and imaging people being outraged before a single person has been cast? Grow up child.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The female characters will be fine. They won't have Nami with giant boobs wearing bikinis every arc, so Nami and Robin are great strong female characters.
Jeah but Robin will be there when? Nami has to carry it by herself quite a long time, with her first real fight at the end of arabasta(end of season2 by most of you guys).

He's such a great character.
He totally is. I love him too, but i´ve seen too many shitstorms over little details to not suspect the worst.

You can hardly cut Higuma or else Shanks will still have two arms.
You can cut him, just show in little flashbacks, when Shanks saves him from the seaking. Leave the rest to mystery, so you dont need to cast Higuma. Luffy tells the audience that he was saved(flashback to shanks holding him with a bitten off arm in the sea) and its done.

Deleted member 169696

lol, i'm a pussy because you are freaking out prematurely about the race of characters, and imaging people being outraged before a single person has been cast? Grow up child.
First of all, never called you a pussy. You're a typical prick who attacks people online for having opinions that you don't agree with.

And secondly, "outraged" "freaking out" those terms are exclusively in your imagination and nowhere else.

Nice one calling me a child. When you're the one freaking out for no reason.