Final Match - One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Match One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda

-

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hiromu Arakawa

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I am going with Full Metal Alchemist here because:-

It's been over 15 years since Hiromu Arakawa published the first chapter of her massively popular manga series and it's still fan favourite

(artwork by Alexandre Chaudret)

Both anime adaptations were high-octane, action-filled adventures, though most prefer Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for its more faithful translation of the original comics (and thus, more deliberatley paced plotline).

4. But it's the emotional versatility of the series that really makes it stick in fans' minds. Everyone can pick the moments that ripped their hearts out...

source

5. In fact, the tone can swing wildly from high energy antics to disturbing body horror...

source

6. The true core of the show is the relationship between Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse. One of the strongest bonds in modern fiction (artwork by nikuman1103)

7. Their traumatic past and motivation to correct their mistakes by any means neccesary make them relatable characters to anyone who would give anything to undo a single, terrible moment (cosplay via @saratotama)

8. Alongside some very likable allies and complicated villains, the brothers travel a world that is at once fantastical but also familiar. (artwork by InHyuk Lee)

9. And there might never be a gag character as wonderful as goddamn MAJOR ALEX LOUIS ARMSTRONG.

source

10. Creator Arakawa has a keen eye for comedy, and she isn't afraid to let characters and situations get a little crazy to relieve tension or land a solid joke.

source

11. Basically, if you get ahold of FMA at the right age, it will leave you entertained and inspired.

12. The "alchemy" system allows for characters to express their strengths and personalities through their abilities, leading to some interesting confrontations.

source

13. The story grows from a personal story of redemption to the fates of nations, the whole time breaking a lot of the tired "shonen" cliches. (cosplay via Pugoffka-sama)

14. Trying to explain it in words will always fall short.

source

Music is great too

Great fight scenes

Last edited:

Temperance

The Red Spear
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France

The one who has the best arguments will get thy vote :invalid

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I have not voted for FMA since that event started and it reached the final easily. I might vote it at least now.

But The President is going to vote for it so who knows what will happen.

Last edited:

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
While One Piece may be a good and long running Shonen imo. i'd have to vote for Fullmetal Alchemist to win this,The Shonen Berserk for me lol.
Mainly because it's one of my Favorite Series but also because of 3 other Reasons that i'll come back to soon.
First of all,One Piece is easily among my Favorite Shonen reads Weekly.
It has a solid Story,many many many Likeable Characters but also like any other Series many Dislikeable Characters imo.
It's World Building Aspect is Second to none, i think no one can disagree with me on this actually,OP is a crazy good at this i give it that hands down.
But FMA just means a bit more to me because of the before mentioned 3 Reasons that i'll explain to you Guys now,here goes:

1.The solid characters. The story starts off with two brothers(Edward and Alphonse Elric the MCs)that are hell-bent on fixing a problem they created, and the other characters come in and out of their story, either helping or preventing them in accomplishing their quest, and all of them feel relevant and interesting. Even when the story starts throwing in new characters half-way through, they all stand on their own, as if the world created them spontaneously and still shine easily through their Great Interactions and Dialogue for which i take FMA over many of nowadays Shonen any day of the Week.

2.The juxtaposition between comedy and drama. Some series try to juggle the two and it doesn't always work, but with Fullmetal Alchemist, it weaves between the two so effortlessly (partially because the characters are so good). It also helps that the drama makes the comedy feel refreshing and the comedy makes the drama more thrilling. You hardly ever see such a well Balanced Work in the Shonen Genre nowadays though i give OP the Comedy Aspect as well,it's usually on Point there imo. but in FMA it just happens more spontaneously while in OP you usually see it coming that there is something dumb being thrown in by Luffy for example in certain Situations.

3.It has really Interesting fights. For all of it's world-building and character webs, this is still an action/adventure series. However, unlike most other series in that genre where the fights tend to drag on or feel repetitive or flat , Fullmetal Alchemist has fights that feel dynamic and interesting. Part of that is the alchemy, as the characters use the "materials" around them to do crazy stuff but also gives them a certain Versatility in Battle. The other part is that the fights aren't just there to have action. They're relevant to the story and are motivated by the characters' ambitions,to me it feels like they don't battle because they WANT to but because they HAVE to as in: They usually don't have another Choice but to go at it in those Moments which can again be tracked back to their Ambitions and Motivations.

I could think of other Reasons that make it good for me as well but those are the ones that immediatly come to mind first.:verily

Last edited:

Anti Hero 3:16

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Going with FMA here, while edward elric is one of my all time favourite characters, this series has cool storyline, better heroine (who is usefull w/o being damsel in distress), cool rival who is als a role model for the hero, awesome side characters and lethal and bloodthursty villains and lastly very dark and scary plot in which it sometimes even looks like hero may lose the war.

OP is great and it has good points that I have mentioned but I just follow FMA more.
FM ftw.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well the timing is against me for sure. Celebrating wife’s birthday pretty much this whole weekend. So I’ll just once more link to previous OP campaign posts for now and hope I’ll have time to write up some more in a few days.

Read mine and @Zirconium ’s (and if you have time others’ as well, but I copy pasted this from a previous thread...) posts.

Mine:
And if you’re all about the boobs then I sold my soul to please you.

Zirconium’s:

In any case, whichever wins this I’ll be glad a fantastic manga won. With that said...

Vote for One Piece!

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I'd probably pick FMA, but I vote One Piece.

I'll cite revenge as my main driver for that choice. Though it might be Lady Pompom's psychological warfare that's responsible here; after she handed me this set I've done nothing but vote One Piece...

I'm voting quickly as I don't want Katakuri's grill to sway me...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
These 2 are pretty unlike each other - such different styles that it seems a shame to try and compare them.

However, for me, FMA is a much deeper story, has more complex moral dilemmas (OP really has very few of these) and, in general, I prefer the characters.
Also, the current OP arc has kinda soured my mood to the story (though I expect it to pick up once all this is over).

That said, in my mind, OP isn't really going for a super deep story - it is more about enjoyable, wacky, fun characters and interesting locales.

Although I am voting FMA, I can certainly see why OP is so popular.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I like both, so idk what to vote here.

Welp, selling my vote for cheap I guess.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well I’ve already tried to prove my passion One Piece by recording the first anime OP song, but I’m willing to take suggestions outside my comfort zone. <_>
Shit man, forgot that you had done that - how is that possible?!?

Screw which is the better manga, just vote for them sweet tunes - OP FTW!

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Shit man, forgot that you had done that - how is that possible?!?

Screw which is the better manga, just vote for them sweet tunes - OP FTW!

Well the “sweet tunes” argument has already been made for FMA so I might as well bring it up.

Seriously though, I still feel anime scenes and soundtracks shouldn’t come into play in the Manga Wars. But I’ll bring whatever cards I have to the table right now due to limited time for debating.. :rolleyes:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well the “sweet tunes” argument has already been made for FMA so I might as well bring it up.

Seriously though, I still feel anime scenes and soundtracks shouldn’t come into play in the Manga Wars. But I’ll bring whatever cards I have to the table right now due to limited time for debating.. :rolleyes:
Blah blah blah - I am just reading false modesty

Ain't heard anyone performing any covers of FMA songs... yet...
:rolleyes:

If they really want FMA to win, perhaps they should up their game?
You do what you can to win, eh?

Last edited:

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'd probably pick FMA, but I vote One Piece.

I'll cite revenge as my main driver for that choice. Though it might be Lady Pompom's psychological warfare that's responsible here; after she handed me this set I've done nothing but vote One Piece...

I'm voting quickly as I don't want Katakuri's grill to sway me...
Another One Piece fan :zomg (Good to see the psychological torture influence worked well)

One piece. I like both so, I'll be happy with either one, but my vote still goes for One Piece.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Any manga is better than One Piece of shit, FMA destroys it easily.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Any manga is better than One Piece of shit, FMA destroys it easily.

These 2 are pretty unlike each other - such different styles that it seems a shame to try and compare them.

However, for me, FMA is a much deeper story, has more complex moral dilemmas (OP really has very few of these) and, in general, I prefer the characters.
Also, the current OP arc has kinda soured my mood to the story (though I expect it to pick up once all this is over).

That said, in my mind, OP isn't really going for a super deep story - it is more about enjoyable, wacky, fun characters and interesting locales.

Although I am voting FMA, I can certainly see why OP is so popular.
The current arc has been a bit dragged out, true, but I’d argue that this week’s chapter was good enough to make up for most of it. 100% reestablished my whole-hearted love for One Piece. Anyone who hasn’t read it yet should just do it (I’ve read it like twelve times).

One Piece is generally about the quirky, wacky, fun characters and adventurous locations, but like I’ve said in my previous posts there’s also a more complex political side to the world building, there’s the theme of Justice and what it really means as well at how to determine what’s “good” and what’s “evil”.
Moral dilemmas aren’t as intense as in FMA, true, but there is plenty of drama, and I mean real drama.
Like the Luffy vs. Usopp conflict, peaking with their fight (one of the best manga fights ever simply due to pure intensity and emotion) and ending with Usopp leading Luffy to victory at Enies Lobby (but still not being forgiven), which I referred to in this post.

I don’t have time to mention all the moments that had me in shivers, tears or with my jaw on the floor. But let’s just say: Saitama is great and all, but Luffy will always be the One Hit K.O’er that counts, because in One Piece these moments have true tension and emotion behind them.

(Without the build-up these moments don’t have quite the same effect, but if you’ve read them, you’ll know what I’m talking about.)

And it had me crying over a damn boat.

Wish I had time to talk more at length about the diversity of emotion in One Piece. But I’m sure I’ve jogged some memories at least. Maybe someone with time on their hands will come and lend me some assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.