Final Match - One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Match One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I think FMA is objectively the better manga. I read it years ago, but I don't remember it left any major plot points unresolved or that the story overstayed its welcome. Also, for a shounen, I appreciate that it had a lot of strong and interesting female characters. That being said, I would still vote One Piece because I like the characters more and love the setting, but it's ok if FMA won.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am honestly very torn on this one. As in other case, FMA has the benefit of being a completed manga with relatively few plot holes meanwhile OP is still ongoing and IMO not necessarily in it's best moment, however popular it might be.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, I'm liking what I'm reading so far.

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I am honestly very torn on this one. As in other case, FMA has the benefit of being a completed manga with relatively few plot holes meanwhile OP is still ongoing and IMO not necessarily in it's best moment, however popular it might be.
That's kind of the thing regarding yearly awards isn't it? We are comparing different kinds of beasts but the other series' are catching up to FMA which is considered as one of the all time greatest. In some time we may have something that can beat the "completedness" that FMA has. Until then we gotta look at the status quo and whether OP is on that level right now. Next year it might be different since Wano is supposed to blow everyone away.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
You’ve got another hour or so to vote, then it’s finito.

What I’d like people to bare in mind is how enjoyable the story is once you binge-read it. A lot of people have probably reread FMA in one go since it ended, and are basing their opinions of it on that.

One Piece gets a lot of crap for its pacing (like this current arc, and I’ve been one of the ones mildly complaining), but that goes for when you read it weekly. Especially those weeks when Oda takes a break, you go around waiting, expecting the plot to leap forward when it returns, but that doesn’t always happen. The reason One Piece has gone on so long is that Oda takes time. He takes time to build his villains up properly, he takes time to make sure each sub-plot gets its focus as well as the main story, and people are always gonna be a bit annoyed at this when they’re reading the story with a week’s intervals. But guess what? When FMA was still ongoing I read people with the same complains. Sure, maybe not as often because FMA didn’t have the same width and range as OP when it came to “amount of world to cover” but the complaints were there.

I recently reread a huge chunk of One Piece. It was from the Impel Down arc to the end of Fishman Island. The Marineford arc and Fishman Island were two of my least favorite arcs when reading them on a weekly basis, but upon binge-reading them the Marineford Arc was pretty friggin’ amazing and Fishman Island was actually okay. The pacing was pretty slow and the fights were kinda lackluster in their focus, but it’s still so much fun to read once you can just coast through the chapters. That’s the thing about One Piece: even at its slowest, it’s so much fun.

Basically what I’m trying to say is.. One Piece’s pacing might seem slow if you’re following the series. But when people reread it after it’s finished like they have FMA I doubt that’s gonna be a major complaint. There’s a reason it’s been going on for almost 900 chapters, and that is that it doesn’t get boring. And if you’re gonna base FMA on its completion, you should at least try do so for One Piece as far as possible. Don’t base it on the pacing of the current arc. Heck, even this current arc upon rereading is pretty darn great, with a well fleshed-out villain, FINALLY some major character development for Sanji, tons of World-Building and above all, the signature comical chaos of Luffy and One Piece.

(And without the slow pace, the build-up to the Katakuri reveal wouldn’t have been as effective. Sorry Jammin for bringing this up. )

Yeah, just some last minute thoughts as got a few minutes off at work. Don’t forget to vote!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Status
Not open for further replies.