Final Match - One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Match One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The President

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It wouldn't feel right to me to dismiss many One Piece characters as useless or throwaways. Those do exist, but there is a lot that Oda creates with the potential to be FMA level characters
"FMA level characters" is pretty broad. It also has varying level of quality of cast, but pound-for-pound its pretty phenomenal. There arent many pointless characters in the series. OP has some great characters, no doubt, but for every good OP character there are 20 bad ones, and I'm hardly exaggerating here.

But I do agree that Oda has a problem managing his huge cast. Most characters have one or two arcs and that's it. With slight possibly of a cameo later on. And he doesn't always pick his best to give more focus to either. Like I hold it against Oda a bit that we've gotten as much Jinbei and Law as we have gotten and as little Boa Hancock. When she is clearly the more colorful and interesting character.
Idk about that lol. Her ego does provide for some funny moments I'll give you that, but otherwise shes kinda grating if I'm honest. Law and Jinbei are amongst Odas best.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
No matter how many better manga I read, I always find myself coming back to like One Piece more even if I openly admit that some manga I read are better, mainly because it was a part of my childhood and will always hold a dear place in my heart. I can see why people might take FMA over OP, but I will always vote One Piece.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
:notamused

What?? You don't like Katakuri!??? How!?? He's the best in One Piece since the death of Ace, people just care more for him than Shirahoshi revealed as Poseidon, he's the best post-timeskip thing ever!

I didn't knew that you Jammin were a hater of characters only because their fandom. Katakuri is someone special, he's a tumult of very much all what a character needs to look amazing, why do you ask this happened? I gotta tell you, this happens because Oda noticed that screwed with his Mochi Mochi no mi as Logia, and had to change it for Special Paramecia, all Japan hated Katakuri, it was like: "This man got Logia on a candy themed fruit?? Only elemental stuff must have Logia, wth!?"
Oda couldn't with all the hate, so he changed it and then noticed that nothing really changed from his fans (like you atm), so he strengthened all the media about him, he was the coolest guy around since Wanze and Duval, overthrown Luffy to humiliate him (yea, Oda's most loved character in the garbage only to his audience) and loved by all the people around him, everyone, he was just the embodiment of Big Brother! What Oda did with Pudding!! in a crappy way, he did it magnificently with Katakuri:

Three eyes!?? The fuck! Who cares, VAMPIRE!!

The Vampire Diaries!? Bram Stoker's Dracula!? Twilight!? Hotel Transilvannia!? ALL in one package, in one chapter, in one panel, Oda's bet at his finest! A gamble that only Tite could've have made and end victorious! He even made Katakuri Pink... Pink!!! Real Men Wear Pink, yep... he was quite something at this very moment.
Isn't it Jack!?

So... when we thought that this ended and was quite disturbing, ended the chapter and thought, yeah, let's read it again to check where the hell is Pandaman, i didn't noticed... and realize that the man likes Donuts and thinks sugar makes him strong (Real Men Hate Sugar yeahh, he even breaks this), and the legend of him, never get laid and standing in utero (in other words like SIU) is broken, all the work of Oda to build his coolness on the floor because all want to be like him:

There, and only there, you find yourself facing a new package, a new type of character, a new way to identify a personality...

A package of cute, cool, creepy, badass, goofy, cruel... a multifaced character that it simply revolutioned what sides of a supportive character of One Piece can show... by now, Katakuri even has a song:

Who wants to hug him!??:tata1:5s-hugs:clingy

Ok, if after all this, you don't like it, despite that he's a closet character that for the sake of his piracy, his family, and his talents had to hide what he really likes and how it looks, you're a very depraved person, like those villains in Magi, blacked to the core!! So.. you must like him :heh and now, i'll go Erin mode on, and lots of pics!!!:clap2

Erin mode off.

All this was made in 3 days, do you realize that is only 5% of the fandom of Katacute!?? Since the beginning he showed feelings towards what a proper person might endear... but lacked love to himself... and this chapter showed it. Quite a bet, i don't even want to compare with FMA because Katakuri is just other class of character and newly portrayed, can't be that bad, but he's the future, for real:victory... and that's what exactly he sees :feelsgoodman

@Lady pompom did you like this?? Then force Jammin to like Katakuri too xDD
Oh Shobu... This post makes me so sad. In so many ways.:feelsbadman

Not since Sasuke have I seen a fandom leather pants-ing this hard. Maybe Sephiroth?

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Jammin..

Wow this thread is lost. :XD

Yeah... I kinda thought Katakuri hype was overblown as well, but latest chapter won me over completely (because it totally did a 180 on his character). Now I’m on the Katakuri train.
It's spreading like a disease. Can anything stop this madness?!

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Regarding Katakuri - I am one of the fanboys. Swagakuri :hearts Gluttakuri :darn

Katakuri's hype has little to do with One Piece or his character imo. Some people, like me, can fall head over heels for a character in just one instant. Certain triggers will do it. There's no problem here, I enjoy it this way :hmph (I do get where you're coming from though, Jammin).

That said a lot of people like Starch-sama, he's been awesome so far.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Not since Sasuke have I seen a fandom leather pants-ing this hard. Maybe Sephiroth?

No, Jammin. You are the odd one out! :mad

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Did you read the last chapter? It was hilarious. Oda destroyed the perfect Katakuri which his fans were so in love with. That’s another thing he does best. He builds something up to be one thing, then just when you think you’ve got someone or something figured out, he twists it around and pulls something unexpected on us readers.

I don’t like the “cool, perfect, mysterious Katakuri”. I like Katakuri the same way I like, say, Duval.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you read the last chapter? It was hilarious. Oda destroyed the perfect Katakuri which his fans were so in love with. That’s another thing he does best. He builds something up to be one thing, then just when you think you’ve got someone or something figured out, he twists it around and pulls something unexpected on us readers.

I don’t like the “cool, perfect, mysterious Katakuri”. I like Katakuri the same way I like, say, Duval.

Yeah, I mean, sure I get that. But I feel like that's only really a big deal if you've read into Katakuri to the truly ridiculous degree that OP fans have. He's fine. But not a reinvention of the concept of a villain in One Piece. He's just a normal villain in leather pants that has some odd tendencies.

Like I would argue when Oda does the opposite and takes something ridiculous and gives it emotional weight that's much more impressive. Like what he did with Senior Pink. That character looks objectively stupid.

But when you find out that he dresses like that because his wife and him lost a child and that the only way he could make her smile was to dress like that. Now THAT's good. Katakuri has got nothing on the level. He's just got leather pants. But people looove them some leather pants.

In FMA you've got the leather pants and the depth. You don't have to pick one or the other.

Last edited:

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I was reading the thread and wondering just when it became a characters war :XD

@Shobu_Yoruichi , great fanarts you've posted, good job :verily (there's no way such brainwashing images won't, at least, induce people's minds of remembering the word "Katakuri")
Your references of real men just remembered this manga Otomen

By the way, I like Katakuri too one of the best characters, one of the strongest sons of Big mom, his powers look dull but he knows how to use them, and he's not perfect which his boosts his character development points. Jammin, how can you not like him? He's like the Mazino from One Piece. :XD

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He's like the Mazino from One Piece. :XD
Huh?

Look what you Katakuri fans have done! You broke Asia-chan!!
Shanks + Sanji + "Worst Luck with Women Possible" = Urek Mazino

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Huh?

Look what you Katakuri fans have done! You broke Asia-chan!!

B-but Jammin, the part that he has lots of fanboys is similar to Urek Mazino :uguu (except that Katakuri must have some fangirls too, something that Urek lacks on ToG, sadly for him). That formula was more accurate for Mazino, though :XD

Remember Kuri is like a vampire, he must have some power to seduce people and turn them into fanboys/fangirls. He's one of the most OP characters in One Piece until know, added the fact he has some traits considered unusual for men (that he surely inherited from his mom :XD) and the higher bounty seen until now (Is it the higher? I don't quite remember, but I guess it is). You can expect many readers will simply like him. Sure ToG characters have more depth, but Oda gather small pieces of information and details here and there to develop some characters too.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
B-but Jammin, the part that he has lots of fanboys is similar to Urek Mazino :uguu (except that Katakuri must have some fangirls too, something that Urek lacks on ToG, sadly for him). That formula was more accurate for Mazino, though :XD

Remember Kuri is like a vampire, he must have some power to seduce people and turn them into fanboys/fangirls. He's one of the most OP characters in One Piece until know, added the fact he has some traits considered unusual for men (that he surely inherited from his mom :XD) and the higher bounty seen until now (Is it the higher? I don't quite remember, but I guess it is). You can expect many readers will simply like him. Sure ToG characters have more depth, but Oda gather small pieces of information and details here and there to develop some characters too.
What formula? Mazino and Katakuri have fans sure. But Mazino deserves his. He's the 4th most powerful person/being in Tower of God! One of the most pivotal people in the series. Katakuri has been around for exactly 23 chapters in a 883 chapter series. He's probably going to be gone in another 5 or 6 too. He's middle management for a mid-boss
Don't fall to his evil powers Asia-chan! Resist! I believe in you.

Voted FMA cause, in the match against Nana, Orgz taught me that FMA is so superior that you don't even have to think about it before voting ^_^
In his defense. He wasn't wrong.:p

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Voted FMA cause, in the match against Nana, Orgz taught me that FMA is so superior that you don't even have to think about it before voting ^_^
I also learned that next year I need to sabotage your campaigns, you fiend. '-'

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Sry, it was just a tease xD
In his defense. He wasn't wrong.:p
Yeah, just kidding about the reason. As I said, FMA was also one of my favs and one of my picks to win the competition (altho, Magi... u.u)

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yeah, just kidding about the reason. As I said, FMA was also one of my favs and one of my picks to win the competition (altho, Magi... u.u)
Imagine how much of an easy win FMA would have if the one who nominated it actually campaigned for it. Something to keep in mind for next Manga Wars. :cookiehand

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Imagine how much of an easy win FMA would have if the one who nominated it actually campaigned for it. Something to keep in mind for next Manga Wars. :cookiehand
This lazy tactic - pick an awesome manga and coast on its greatness...

The undeservingly deserving choice for best manga

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Regarding character development, One Piece has only 4 that you can perfectly say that are developed through their lifes, which are Zoro, Usopp, Garp and Big Mom. The first and the third now priorize their "families" over their duty, the second stands to what are his conditions to be in his "family" half the way, and the fourth is a fourth dimensional character that Oda manages to entangle her relationships with her job, her family, herself, and her powers, along with the heavy ship that carries her past and now develops contantly.
Strange, this is definitely not those I would have chosen for poster-children of character development in OP.
I felt that Robin developed during the course of the narrative. The other... not so much.
Usopp is kind of yoyoing his charadevelopment. I mean, he has bursts of courage... and then falls back to his coward self. Again. And again.

TBH, I tend to consider character development under that light of the main story, that is notwithstanding the previous past self of the character. But you're right, if we consider her as a child, BM did evolve. And much!

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This formula:XD

If Katakuri just become a fodder character late I'll be sad, but yeah, he will probably be defeated in some chapters for the sake of plot development. :emocat

Usopp is kind of yoyoing his charadevelopment. I mean, he has bursts of courage... and then falls back to his coward self. Again. And again.
I think in Usopp's case, it's part of his personality to be a coward, besides the burst of courage (although he is a coward) and the fact he used CoO in dressrosa arc show that he had some development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.