Voting Round 1 - One Piece vs. Monster | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 One Piece vs. Monster

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Monster

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I will say this again.

The winner of this round is up against Fairy Tail. Now, in this first round, where really mostly fans of quality manga are engaged in the wars, Monster might actually stand a chance.. but once the Fairy Tail fans get engaged, Monster would be obliterated. One Piece has enough fans on these forums to beat FT, and we can gather as many of them as possible for the next round to beat Fairy Tail in its first battle. Monster just doesn't have the following it takes.

So if you're on the fence (which I absolutely understand if you are) between who to vote for, then vote One Piece. Because in the end, isn't it more important for Fairy Tail to lose as soon as possible than for Monster to advance to a round where it will inevitably lose?
I think there are enough people who wouldn't vote for FT that it wouldn't make a difference :s. One Piece has the better story but the art is off pulling. That's the reason I don't follow because I can't stand it. Monster I would say has a chance because the art and story are both good. Why do most people prefer manga in the first place? I would say is the art style otherwise weebs would be more into other comics.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Honestly the FT-fan hype around here is overblown. What has FT won lately :zomgOP would definitely overcome FT, not because of OP's numbers, but you'd be able to reduce FT's numbers simply by overlap. Fighting fire with fire!

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Oh shit, I forgot to vote in this one D:

Ok, imo the fact that OP stays solid and with good quality after so many years is amazing, tbh. It takes a gigantic brain to think of so much content that still appeals to so many as times goes by, props to Oda. OP is one of the few that deserves to be selling so well, year after year. People can't name many others that have achieved that - and agree on them.

On the other hand... I read very little of OP - only until the arc where Chopper is introduced. Back then, I wasn't hooked up, one of the reasons why I ended up dropping it (the other reason is that I stopped being able to snatch my friend's volumes '-' ) It's a matter of personal taste, Monster made me devour it (the part I read, since I also gotta finish it @.@), it got me engaged - which is my index for how much I like something.

So I voted for Monster, but wanted to mention OP's merits.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think there are enough people who wouldn't vote for FT that it wouldn't make a difference :s. One Piece has the better story but the art is off pulling. That's the reason I don't follow because I can't stand it. Monster I would say has a chance because the art and story are both good. Why do most people prefer manga in the first place? I would say is the art style otherwise weebs would be more into other comics.
Uh... when it comes to art, I don't think that OP's is bad. It has different and more unique style than most, imo.
It doesn't look crooked, polluted or inconsistent overall like the materials I'd call bad art, so I don't think that's the matter there. Actually, FT's art used to be compared to OP's, at least years ago (Idk about it now), and we used to wonder if Mashima had worked with Oda or something (I don't recall the answer either).

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The art style is unlike other manga, that's true. Some want the copy-pasted characters with different color of their hair, others want something original. Luckily, both Oda and Urasawa have distinct styles, so the former doesn't come into play here.

I have a hard time understanding why people think OP's art is off-putting. It fits the feel of the story and characters perfectly. And while Urasawa's art may be more realistic and suited for a darker series, Oda's art just screams imagination and creativity, which is pretty much what One Piece is all about.

Last edited:

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I recognize One Piece as one great manga but I've never felt truly invested in it, I would read the chapters fast and with no re-read.
On the other hand Monster made me bingewatch the anime and then read the manga, enjoying every bit of it. Monster it is for me.

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Why is FT hate use here as a card to get more votes for OP :errr

We suppose to choose better Manga and Ias I said earlier Monster is way ahead of this of the other two ( Still OP have my respect for so far keeping its decent level ) aside from that OP fandom and Undecided Readers can very much vote Monster in the next round as well what's the difference

As for FT " Tards ", some of us ( For example me :cookiehand ) will vote for a better option as for the one you dislike the much that they are choosing FT over something else ( Usually better ) how is this different than a situation we have here :fan

But yeah using that Tactic I can see OP " Deserved "make it to round 3 :pjsalt

Honestly the FT-fan hype around here is overblown. What has FT won lately :zomgOP would definitely overcome FT, not because of OP's numbers, but you'd be able to reduce FT's numbers simply by overlap. Fighting fire with fire!
DON :heh

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
:notsure

This is a good tactic. Organizized likes both Monster and OP, but rather than try to put OP over Monster (quite tough to do) another avenue must be sought. Looking ahead to future battles is a part of this war.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India

We suppose to choose better Manga and Ias I said earlier Monster is way ahead of this of the other two ( Still OP have my respect for so far keeping its decent level ) aside from that OP fandom and Undecided Readers can very much vote Monster in the next round as well what's the difference

As for FT " Tards ", some of us ( For example me :cookiehand ) will vote for a better option as for the one you dislike the much that they are choosing FT over something else ( Usually better ) how is this different than a situation we have here :fan

Me too.If Monster faces FT I will definetly vote Monster.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Going with the easiest choice for me here.
One Piece gets my vote.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The art style is unlike other manga, that's true. Some want the copy-pasted characters with different color of their hair, others want something original. Luckily, both Oda and Urasawa have distinct styles, so the former doesn't come into play here.

I have a hard time understanding why people think OP's art is off-putting. It fits the feel of the story and characters perfectly. And while Urasawa's art may be more realistic and suited for a darker series, Oda's art just screams imagination and creativity, which is pretty much what One Piece is all about.
The women look like they are going to snap in half because their waist is way too small. Manga isn't real but they have proper proportions. OP takes Manga proportions to a new level and it's hard to follow a series when the characters look way too unreal.

Oh shit, I forgot to vote in this one D:

Ok, imo the fact that OP stays solid and with good quality after so many years is amazing, tbh. It takes a gigantic brain to think of so much content that still appeals to so many as times goes by, props to Oda. OP is one of the few that deserves to be selling so well, year after year. People can't name many others that have achieved that - and agree on them.

On the other hand... I read very little of OP - only until the arc where Chopper is introduced. Back then, I wasn't hooked up, one of the reasons why I ended up dropping it (the other reason is that I stopped being able to snatch my friend's volumes '-' ) It's a matter of personal taste, Monster made me devour it (the part I read, since I also gotta finish it @.@), it got me engaged - which is my index for how much I like something.

So I voted for Monster, but wanted to mention OP's merits.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Uh... when it comes to art, I don't think that OP's is bad. It has different and more unique style than most, imo.
It doesn't look crooked, polluted or inconsistent overall like the materials I'd call bad art, so I don't think that's the matter there. Actually, FT's art used to be compared to OP's, at least years ago (Idk about it now), and we used to wonder if Mashima had worked with Oda or something (I don't recall the answer either).
I hated the old style and love the newer one. Oda's artwork is different but it's hit or miss. He also doesn't do much detail work or shading which makes it look like a 70s acid trip. The strokes on the brush are the same so his characters are creative but his actual artistic skills are lacking.

I may vote for Monster if it's up against FT. IMO, FT is the better overall manga compared to OP. The story in OP and side characters are unmatchable but the art and main characters (Nami, Luffy and Yussop) make me want to punch them. Luffy is the same character from chapter one. Natsu is the same but at least he whine like a baby for years like when Ace died. Yes, Luffy just cried and screamed and didn't develop. Effing Natsu had more development!

But hey, salty people do stupid things so by all means they can keep voting for OP :D

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dearest @Reebi,

The female characters' bodies are about the only thing I ever agree on being on the bad side when it comes to OP's art. Sometimes it's cringe-worthy. As a feminist I feel like I shouldn't be encouraging such unrealistic portrayal of characters... but on the other hand, the characters are more than their looks, and their bodies aesthetics in specific aren't often a topic of conversation in the manga, so I let that slide. Reluctantly.

(And I still have more of a problem with characters with eyes the size of cantaloupes.)

Luffy has developed. Just because he hasn't done it suddenly, and hasn't gone all obviously dark and brooding, doesn't mean he hasn't developed. I didn't finish Fairy Tail, so I can't say how much Natsu finally developed as a character in that series, but I do know Luffy has become more mature, more responsible and cool-headed as a captain and leader (as displayed just recently after a certain character's sacrifice). It's the little things he says and does over time that prove how what has happened to him has ultimately changed him as a character. He keeps his goofy, outward personality, sure, but he isn't the same as in chapter 1.

And where do you get that he spent years crying over Ace? He went catatonic, passed out and didn't wake up until later at Amazon Lily. When he woke, he went into a rampage then started crying (pretty natural reaction though, right?), then we got a long flashback but actually no time really passed. We see Luffy beating himself up about still not being able to protect anyone, thinking he might as well just die, then Jinbe convincing him he still has his crew, and they all need him as well he needs them. He is determined to overcome his grief over Ace for the sake of his crew and get stronger. So he's literally in shock for weeks, and overcome with grief, then uses that grief as a reason to grow. He certainly doesn't cry and whine for years.

BUT - with all that said, One Piece isn't the series you go to for big character development. I'll admit that. The development is there, but its small (and Oda doesn't "point it out" and make it obvious) and it's so slow it can pass over the head of many readers. If you don't like the characters from the beginning, that's a problem. If you love most of the characters Oda ever introduces, it's not that much of problem. Why? Because the story and the universe develops all the more. The world-building is unlike any other manga: incredibly vast yet with the smallest of details over the course of almost 900 chapters piecing together one enormous universe. The systems of politics - Nobles, Gorosei, World Government, Marines, Kingdoms of the World, Shichibukai, Yonkou, Revolutionaries, Pirates, etc etc - and the way they all balance each other in this vast world Oda has created is a constantly overlooked (by casual readers) part of the series, along with the underlying mystery of the Lost Century and The Will of D. And that's not even to mention the detail each and every new island/location etc. is described in, and the way something that was mentioned hundreds of chapters ago can become a plot point big enough for an arc to revolve around.

Basically, there is just so, so much story and intrigue developing at all times; story for these characters to face. I like the characters, and I don't need them to drastically and suddenly change as long as the world around them provides them with ever new challenges to face, and new characters and places to interact with/react to. If the world and the story is good and expansive enough, there will always be enough development and change to make the series interesting, drastic obvious character development or not.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get the blood circulation back into my hand after typing on my phone for an hour.

(Look what you did.. made me get all passionate about my manga. XD)

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dearest @Reebi,

The female characters' bodies are about the only thing I ever agree on being on the bad side when it comes to OP's art. Sometimes it's cringe-worthy. As a feminist I feel like I shouldn't be encouraging such unrealistic portrayal of characters... but on the other hand, the characters are more than their looks, and their bodies aesthetics in specific aren't often a topic of conversation in the manga, so I let that slide. Reluctantly.

(And I still have more of a problem with characters with eyes the size of cantaloupes.)

Luffy has developed. Just because he hasn't done it suddenly, and hasn't gone all obviously dark and brooding, doesn't mean he hasn't developed. I didn't finish Fairy Tail, so I can't say how much Natsu finally developed as a character in that series, but I do know Luffy has become more mature, more responsible and cool-headed as a captain and leader (as displayed just recently after a certain character's sacrifice). It's the little things he says and does over time that prove how what has happened to him has ultimately changed him as a character. He keeps his goofy, outward personality, sure, but he isn't the same as in chapter 1.

And where do you get that he spent years crying over Ace? He went catatonic, passed out and didn't wake up until later at Amazon Lily. When he woke, he went into a rampage then started crying (pretty natural reaction though, right?), then we got a long flashback but actually no time really passed. We see Luffy beating himself up about still not being able to protect anyone, thinking he might as well just die, then Jinbe convincing him he still has his crew, and they all need him as well he needs them. He is determined to overcome his grief over Ace for the sake of his crew and get stronger. So he's literally in shock for weeks, and overcome with grief, then uses that grief as a reason to grow. He certainly doesn't cry and whine for years.

BUT - with all that said, One Piece isn't the series you go to for big character development. I'll admit that. The development is there, but its small (and Oda doesn't "point it out" and make it obvious) and it's so slow it can pass over the head of many readers. If you don't like the characters from the beginning, that's a problem. If you love most of the characters Oda ever introduces, it's not that much of problem. Why? Because the story and the universe develops all the more. The world-building is unlike any other manga: incredibly vast yet with the smallest of details over the course of almost 900 chapters piecing together one enormous universe. The systems of politics - Nobles, Gorosei, World Government, Marines, Kingdoms of the World, Shichibukai, Yonkou, Revolutionaries, Pirates, etc etc - and the way they all balance each other in this vast world Oda has created is a constantly overlooked (by casual readers) part of the series, along with the underlying mystery of the Lost Century and The Will of D. And that's not even to mention the detail each and every new island/location etc. is described in, and the way something that was mentioned hundreds of chapters ago can become a plot point big enough for an arc to revolve around.

Basically, there is just so, so much story and intrigue developing at all times; story for these characters to face. I like the characters, and I don't need them to drastically and suddenly change as long as the world around them provides them with ever new challenges to face, and new characters and places to interact with/react to. If the world and the story is good and expansive enough, there will always be enough development and change to make the series interesting, drastic obvious character development or not.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get the blood circulation back into my hand after typing on my phone for an hour.

(Look what you did.. made me get all passionate about my manga. XD)
I'm too much of a scatterbrain to enjoy long drawn out storylines :D He introduces amazing side characters and has themes relevant to real life (the racism of the fish people was on point with today's right-winged xenophobia). I do like Zoro but that's the only main I can stand. It has some good elements but I feel not everyone could enjoy it; thus it can't advance.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've never been convinced to keep reading One Piece, so that must count for something. Also, Monster is amaaaaazzzingg

Status
Not open for further replies.