Shounen - Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Laminariales

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That color page kicked me from history to fantasy zone, these're going to be 4 long days.

@Arjuna I think you're thinking bushido, which's the way by which samurai conduct their lives and their moral code, which included regaining honer by committing seppuku/harakiri

Eastgrove

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding this thread without following the link from Magi.

Anyway, what's the impression as far as supernatural aspects for the series go? Will it be more grounded than Magi?

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Some more pages (funny how I found them in the website's Magi section xD)

Im hoping she develops her artstyle into something unique for this manga cause rn it's just a copy paste from Magi. The fact that the setting is so similar isn't helping either in terms of making the manga feel like its own thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm having trouble finding this thread without following the link from Magi.

It's literally in the same "Manga I - R" section as Magi. It's even stickied at the top lol.

In fact when it gets its own subforum it'll probably be exactly where Magi is rn

Laminariales

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Since it will be 70 page, 7 pages a day until release isn't bad xD not much to go on on but I like the Japanese feel up to this point

Eastgrove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some more pages (funny how I found them in the website's Magi section xD)

Im hoping she develops her artstyle into something unique for this manga cause rn it's just a copy paste from Magi. The fact that the setting is so similar isn't helping either in terms of making the manga feel like its own thing.
I thought she had a fair amount of flexibility with her art in Magi. Not to mention diversity in terms of style. I mean, how many shounen protagonists wear the same dang outfit throughout the entire series?

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Chapter 1 raws

Take back what I said about the setting before. Giant demonic teddy bears with weird mouths and a guy wearing traditional Japanese clothing riding a crystallized motorcycle... :gwah

Last edited:

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
What I want to say is not really a spoiler, rather my general feelings about the chapter, but I'll better close it in tags anyway.
I... have mixed feelings, tbh. This chapter was nothing special, it made me feel a bit awkward and that's not exactly, what I expected. I suppose I have to give the series time to progress. But Koujirou is badass, he already stole my heart :hearts I'll be watching him closely.

Laminariales

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Thank you airmatress! At last read the chapter in full

The characters are as expressionfull as always was my first thought, welcome back Ohtaka sensei!

Obviously an introductory chapter, feels like the start of a game. I'm satisfied with the setting and a bit surprised by one element of it (enter ailbaba surprised face) xD Musashi (for some reason without last name) is cute! and of all things to be a miner xDD It's called Orient because the main conquest is looking for Ore, you expected sengoku basara too bad it's animal crossing NOT. of course, soon it took a turn!

Kojirou is handsome but a tad comically cool, what's with the cigarette and MOTOCYCLE?? and I sense a backstory

Lastly I'd like to comment on the statues of the Oni-s, I wonder if they'll turn out more humanoid or Oni-esh, like there are Christian and buddhism motifs?? Idk the first one remind me of the angels in magi, and the one on the left who I think the same to the last one that descended at the end looks like Avalokiteshvara

Disappointments: I wish more characters were introduced :/

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker

Looks pretty good so far. While the first chapter wasn't anything mindblowing it does set up some pretty interesting things, and odds are there's much more to these demons appearing and the samurai (for the sake of my sanity ill be referring to them in english until i get used to the names). Im sure things will get a lot more interesting once new cast members show up (Im fairly certain there's gonna be some sort of secret resistance force that the main characters end up joining, that's usually the case with these type of stories.

My only complaint, and maybe it's explained but idk, is that it took Koujiro 5 years to randomly find that book just when they really needed it? Seems too convenient

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Just read the chapter and it was fun. I was worried that Ohtaka published this manga half a year after Magi ended. Usually, manga author takes more than that to gather materials and plan carefully for their next masterpiece. IIRC, Ohatak intially intended for Magi to be a story about gladiators in an ancient Rome setting, and a year later, she switched to the 1001 Nights theme. I also remember Masashi Kishimoto stating in one of the early Naruto volumes that he already came up with the concept for his next manga, so it's possible Ohtaka already decided years ago what to do after Magi and slowly planned for it.

In the chapter there was a disclaimer that this story is a work of fiction and has no relation to any people or organizations, which hints that we might see more characters inspired by historical figures in the future. I noticed that Musashi wasn't given a family name like Kojirou, even though they gave the latter the family name of his teacher rather than Sasaki. Musashi might find out about his family later, and that His father/mother might have been a legendary warrior that challengd the demons.

Oda and Toyotomi were drawn on the board at school, which confirmed they are dead. There goes my hope for the the most interesting man in the Sengoku era to be the main antagonist.

I was also worried whether I'm going to like Kojirou, since MC rivals usually get on my nerves (Vegeta from DB is one of the few exceptions), and while it could change later, I was glad to see he was going to play an Alphonse Elric role to the MC for now. Also, is it me or did Ohtaka give him an outfit and hair simiar to Kouen's in the final arc of Magi?

Last edited:

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Also, is it me or did Ohtaka give him an outfit and hair simiar to Kouen's in the final arc of Magi?

Funny enough in my previous post I misspelled his name KOUjiro instead of kojirou xD

On a side note, looks like Ugo-kun went from being a headless blue giant to a crystal motorcycle... Neat. :derp

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Funny enough in my previous post I misspelled his name KOUjiro instead of kojirou xD
Looks like Ohtaka liked Kouen enough that she kind of based the deuteragonist of her next manga on him:derp

Also, Eleore translated a short interview with Ohtaka:

Laminariales

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
My only complaint, and maybe it's explained but idk, is that it took Koujiro 5 years to randomly find that book just when they really needed it? Seems too convenient
Mattress! The note was in Musashi's bag when he came the night before and forgot it in rage

The human resistance would be good but I'm more excited about the high class Oni!!

Musashi might find out about his family later, and that His father/mother might have been a legendary warrior that challengd the demons.
That's a good explanation, but do you have anyone in mind haya-san?

I was also worried whether I'm going to like Kojirou, since MC rivals usually get on my nerves (Vegeta from DB is one of the few exceptions), and while it could change later, I was glad to see he was going to play an Alphonse Elric role to the MC for now. Also, is it me or did Ohtaka give him an outfit and hair simiar to Kouen's in the final arc of Magi?
lol I wonder why we all (girls) love vegeta, gintama gave him so much shit one episode in that regard I could be wrong but all the miners are wearing something similar but tied around? I'll lie if I said he didn't remind me of younger kouen but I'm really trying to see this as it's own xD As for role he seems like a nice guy with fashion statements. Considering Ohtaka's past MCs I wonder how these two act around background ladies

AlphaIkaros

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Japanese history told in Ohtaka's style?? Oh yes!! Ohtaka got me reading the 1001 Nights and other referenced mythologies because of Magi, now for sure this manga will get me researching for Japan's Sengoku period!

Also, I really can't unsee Aladdin on Musashi, and that blond guy reminds me so much of Kouen/Hakuryuu :D

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
That's a good explanation, but do you have anyone in mind haya-san?
She might go with someone based on the father of the real Musashi, Shinmen Munisai, a powerful martial artist who worked for the Ashikaga shogunate during Sengoku. However, historians disagreed over Musashi's lineage and whether he was indeed Munisai's real son. There's a theory that Musashi was adopted by Munisai's wife after he died to succeed her late husband. I wonder which version Ohtaka would go with. It would be cool if Musashi was trained by his adoptive mother and she was a legendary warrior.

lol I wonder why we all (girls) love vegeta, gintama gave him so much shit one episode in that regard I could be wrong but all the miners are wearing something similar but tied around? I'll lie if I said he didn't remind me of younger kouen but I'm really trying to see this as it's own xD As for role he seems like a nice guy with fashion statements. Considering Ohtaka's past MCs I wonder how these two act around background ladies
Vegeta's smug attitude during the Cell arc ticked me off, but he won me over at the end. I like his development and how the Z-fighters, except Goku, didn't completely trust him until he redeemed himself, which I found realistic.

Last edited:

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I haven't read the chapter yet but just want to point out the chapter is called "Musashi and Kojirou" much like how the third chapter (thanks tyliot) in Magi as well as the first anime episode were called "Aladdin and Alibaba". Pretty cool nod to that. I guess if Ohtaka wants to use the same chapter naming habits then we'll be seeing a lot of "his name is ..." chapters :p

Also I just realised that Musashi and Kojirou arr also the japanese names of Jessie and James from pokemon lmao. I wouldn't be surprised if ppl end up doing fanart of them together XD

Looks like Ohtaka liked Kouen enough that she kind of based the deuteragonist of her next manga on him:derp
Can't help but feel like this a direct message to certain fans of a certain lord of edges :derp

Last edited:

tyliout

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I haven't read the chapter yet but just want to point out the chapter is called "Musashi and Kojirou" much like how the second chapter in Magi as well as the first anime episode were called "Aladdin and Alibaba". Pretty cool nod to that. I guess if Ohtaka wants to use the same chapter naming habits then we'll be seeing a lot of "his name is ..." chapters :p
Actually it was the third chapter of magi which was called Aladin and Alibaba the first one was His name is Aladin and the second was called His name is Alibaba

Anyway Interested to see more after the first chapter so i will keep an eye on it.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I am not sure I understood. Is there only one Kishin or several? Only one, right?

Not a bad start. Ohtaka is great at comedy and can create good characters but many of the battles in Magi were hard to follow, I hope it won't be the case in this one. It was good enough in this chapter.

The main duo is likeable, unsurprisingly.