Awards - Oscars Contest 2020 | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Awards Oscars Contest 2020

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Thank you all for participating in this event! This was a record year of participants and I'm glad about that! Thanks for the production and marketing team of Joker for such an excellent poster to use as banner material to lure curious people in!

But now for the most important part - winners!

On shared 3rd place (16 points) - @xi0 and @FaustXIII. Congratulations on good effort!

On shared 2nd place (18 points) - the formidable film lover @Eigengrau and none other than the mysterious legend himself @George Monkey. Again so close! Maybe next year is the year of this DiCaprio of MH. Congratulations for both for the extremely even and valiant fight for the throne.

*drumroll*

And on 1st place (18 points) - with the tie-breaker advantage from the Big 5, the many time nominee and second time winner -
Congratulations to my Swedish-dupe account @Organizized

Disclaimer: I did the counting in a very tired state. If you spot any mistakes, let me know! The badge will be awarded later this month.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
AWWW BOOM THE FINNISH COMMENTATOR!!

"Now for Best Picture. I do not consider it anymore the main event or biggest award, because Green Book won, so I guess I'm done for the night."

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
"I thought I was done for the night." That was great.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

AWWW BOOM THE FINNISH COMMENTATOR!!

"Now for Best Picture. I do not consider it anymore the main event or biggest awards anymore, because Green Book won, so I guess I'm done for the night."
Mic drop.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Hope he'll consider it redeemed if Parasite wins though.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
OMFG!!!!

YES YES YES YES.

Belief in The Industry returned.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I love this, but daaamn Bong Joon-Ho has big expectations to fill with whatever he does next.

pamuchi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
What a wonderful night (except for the animation award)

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Did anyone actually predicted Parasite/Bong Joon-ho to win?

Grats on the MH Oscar.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
21/24 is a pretty good scorecard I'd say. Shame I didn't trust in the Academy's love for Pixar and changed to Klaus. Sound editing I could have guessed. But Bong for Director was a lightning strike. Glad I stuck it out with Parasite for Picture.

This could be turning a new page for the Academy. I hope it is so and not just a fluke.

Did anyone actually predicted Parasite/Bong Joon-ho to win?

Grats on the MH Oscar.
I had it in Screenplay, International Picture and Picture. I thought Mendes was 95% locked for Director so that was the biggest surprise to me for sure.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

If I sleep now, maybe I'll get like 20 minutes before the kids wake up for real!

Goodnight! Nervous about hearing George Monkey's results later... :ninja

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I love this, but daaamn Bong Joon-Ho has big expectations to fill with whatever he does next.
As long as he doesn't die from liver failure tonight ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

21/24 is a pretty good scorecard I'd say. Shame I didn't trust in the Academy's love for Pixar and changed to Klaus. Sound editing I could have guessed. But Bong for Director was a lightning strike. Glad I stuck it out with Parasite for Picture.
As I predicted, whoever gambled on Parasite will surely win, so I'm definitely out even at 21/24 as well.

Feels nice to have gotten so many right though, that's definitely a first for me.

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Best Picture
Most likely to win: 1917
What movie should win IMO: Parasite

Best Director
Most likely to win: Sam Mendes (1-time winner: American Beauty that means he's still undefeated LOL when he's nominated)
Who should win IMO: Bong Joon-ho (1st time nominee)
Next year, I'll select the nominees that I think should win. LOL

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
dis Monkey. Forever 2nd place. 🐵🥈

Feels good to grab that second Oscar. :feelsgoodman I was gonna say "changing my mind so many times paid off" but... I would've gotten 19/21 if I hadn't. :XD Instead it made it a nail-biter. But yeah I always read too many "experts opinions" etc leading up to the Oscar's which make me change my mind (looking at you Klaus and my almost-miss in Makeup/Hair) - glad I didn't change my mind about Parasite after all. And just so so glad Parasite won four of the six it was nominated for. History making, history breaking. :shakefist

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up to so many notifications about Parasite, you'd think it was an epidemic.

Congrats Orgz, I really @Eigengrau would be taking it after his blistering start.

I played it too safe with my voting this year. Should've trusted Parasite more.

Ust-chan thanks for hosting and the live commentary.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Watched all of Bong's speeches again. His Director speech where he raised up his fellow nominees (resulting in an spontaneous standing ovation for Scorsese who was like "yeah, thanks, wow, now eyes on the guy on the stage!") is my favorite moment of the night.
Joaquin's speech was probably my second favorite. Lots of people won't like it, for sure, and I've already seen lots of people saying they lost respect because he dragged "politics into it". What was political about it, I really don't know... Him quoting River at the end brought the feels too.

All in all, it looked to be the most predictable and boring Oscars in years, but the last half hour made it worth staying up to watch. I do wonder whether they shouldn't bring back a host. Even though they're very hit and miss, they still add an element of entertainment to it which has been missing the last two years.

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Six points only?! Not fair redo!!!

At least my better half outperformed everyone, congratz Orgy <3

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I didn’t see much but Bong Joon Ho’s speech was golden!!! :lmao Renée’s speech made me go to bed :D

Watched all of Bong's speeches again. His Director speech where he raised up his fellow nominees (resulting in an spontaneous standing ovation for Scorsese who was like "yeah, thanks, wow, now eyes on the guy on the stage!") is my favorite moment of the night.
Joaquin's speech was probably my second favorite. Lots of people won't like it, for sure, and I've already seen lots of people saying they lost respect because he dragged "politics into it". What was political about it, I really don't know... Him quoting River at the end brought the feels too.

All in all, it looked to be the most predictable and boring Oscars in years, but the last half hour made it worth staying up to watch. I do wonder whether they shouldn't bring back a host. Even though they're very hit and miss, they still add an element of entertainment to it which has been missing the last two years.
Joaquin’s vegan views annoyed me. I like eating bacon and cheese. I don’t need someone telling me I can’t enjoy life :notrust

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
:lmao Renée’s speech made me go to bed :D
Listened to the first part of it then realized it was morning and went downstairs to call work (I had a day off but they wanted me to work anyway). When I came back upstairs she was still talking.. watched the full speech afterwards and was like "wow, all that time and I didn't miss anyhing". :cookiehand

Joaquin’s vegan views annoyed me. I like eating bacon and cheese. I don’t need someone telling me I can’t enjoy life :notrust
Don't worry, I'm sure you will keep eating bacon and cheese anyway.

It's funny though, lately I've come to realize that people are annoyed by vegans talking about how the meat/dairy industry works because it breaks those people's blissful ignorance for a moment, and the annoyance at vegans is really a feeling of "you care and I don't and that bothers me". Because I'm pretty sure anyone can agree that what Phoenix described is (when you stop, by default, normalizing it in your head) a pretty terrible scene, and that's only a small part of it.

I still eat products with dairy and eggs in, but I know when I do so I'm putting my own pleasure ahead of the suffering of other living beings who hardly get to live what can be called a life. And I think people should be able to, as you say, "enjoy life" and eat/drink what they want, but I also think everyone should know exactly at what expense they do it, and admit to being selfish creatures for doing it. And not just "I know we kill animals to get meat duh", but really understand how terrible the industry we have created is.

"I think we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world. Many of us are guilty of an egocentric world view, and we believe that we’re the centre of the universe."

Already seen thousands of "mmm, cries of anguish in my cereal this morning" tweets/posts after his speech and I know these people think they're "memeing against veganism" but honestly, do they even hear what they're saying? They're just proving him right, admitting to being egocentric, apathetic people, except they'd never admit that straight-up; it's much easier to ridicule those who show signs of empathy. :teach

But it really wasn't a "vegan speech " as tabloids call it.
"We fear the idea of personal change, because we think we need to sacrifice something; to give something up. But human beings at our best are so creative and inventive, and we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and the environment."
That goes for animal rights, but it also goes for human rights, LGBTQ rights, against racism etc. His speech wasn't a "vegan speech", he just gave one example of an unnatural thing we do which has been normalized. He could've just as easily given an example about systematic racism (as he did at the BAFTAS), the human effect on climate change, oppression of LGBTQ people in many countries or whatever else, because that was just as much what his speech was about.

People have been annoyed that he drags "politics" into it, but what about the message of "let's help each other grow and be the best we can, to ourselves and to all living beings" is political? That's not politics, that's just empathy.

But as he said, we're egocentric and fear the idea of personal change, and a call for empathy is, to many, just being called out. He knows it, but he says it, and that's what I liked about it.

(HOW did this get so long? I ramble...)

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It's funny though, lately I've come to realize that people are annoyed by vegans talking about how the meat/dairy industry works because it breaks those people's blissful ignorance for a moment, and the annoyance at vegans is really a feeling of "you care and I don't and that bothers me". Because I'm pretty sure anyone can agree that what Phoenix described is (when you stop, by default, normalizing it in your head) a pretty terrible scene, and that's only a small part of it.
I don't think that's the issue most sensible people have with vegans though. You can be in agreement with vegans' point about inhumane treatment of animals and factory farming but also still use animal products. I think the moral argument about not consuming animal products is an interesting one on a philosophical level but ever since they found evidence of pain or distress even in plants, the arguments sort of begin to no longer be as moving to me. Even their point about the environmental impact of consuming animals isn't as cogent when they burn fossil fuels to ship organic vegetables and the like. I think the most morally sound practice would be something like permaculture and directly harvesting everything you eat yourself.... but yeah... not really doable for the majority of the people.

I think Phoenix's point about the disconnect between the natural world and humans is totally true. It goes a long way to explain a lot of the modern, human condition. But to lay that at the feat of being a meat-eater is kind of off the mark to me. You mean to tell me that someone who lives a simple life and hunts animals for his meals and clothing is crueler than a a vegan who burns gallons of jet fuel so they has plenty of organic vegetables in his kitchen? Not that this was Phoenix's point there, but I've seen a lot of vegans completely scoff at the idea without examining their own impact on the environment because they think they have some sort of moral high-ground because their meals don't come from animals.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I don't think that's the issue most sensible people have with vegans though. You can be in agreement with vegans' point about inhumane treatment of animals and factory farming but also still use animal products.
I was generalizing, yeah. The people I was talking about are the ones who, upon meeting a vegan, instantly have to emphasize their love for bacon, bacon and bacon and that vegetables is "rabbit food" etc etc. This is obviously very deflecting behavior and they just don't want to care, neither about the animals who are bred to be killed after a month nor about the effects on the environment.

But I agree that just as those people need to know at whose/what expense they're supporting the meat/dairy industry, those on a plant-based diet need to ensure that they're choosing the most sustainable option available to them. Lots of vegans look down upon meat eaters in an environmental aspect without bothering to find out where their own food products come from. Sure, in general plant-based food has a significantly lesser negative effect on the environment than an animal diet, but obviously buying meat off your local hunter is better for the environment than buying three nets of avocados a week which has been flown from the other side of the earth to meet your demand.

And that was kinda my point as well, what I liked about Joaquin's speech - it wasn't just a "vegan speech", it was more about that we as humans need to consider the impact our actions has on the earth, animals and each other. Try to let go of our egocentricity and help each other find the best way of living and co-existing for as long as we can.

But people don't want to see and hear the overall message of his speech, they just attack and ridicule him for giving the example of how cows are treated for us to get milk. Which is ironic.

Reactions: xi0